Met the mother of a current Bill this week

Thurman#1

Flying in for Bills games can yield some interesting encounters.

Met Jerry Hughes' dad on a flight in from Houston.  It was before his extension, and I told him his son was soon to be a very rich man. 

Ran into Cornelius Bennett in Atlanta during a layover.  More precisely I kind of stalked him in the terminal before getting the courage to say hi and introducing him to my son.

Met Marv Levy in the Bflo airport when flying home from an opener, and sat across the aisle from him on the Southwest flight into Chicago Midway (yes, he flew Southwest).

27 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Flying in for Bills games can yield some interesting encounters.

Met Jerry Hughes' dad on a flight in from Houston.  It was before his extension, and I told him his son was soon to be a very rich man. 

Ran into Cornelius Bennett in Atlanta during a layover.  More precisely I kind of stalked him in the terminal before getting the courage to say hi and introducing him to my son.

Met Marv Levy in the Bflo airport when flying home from an opener, and sat across the aisle from him on the Southwest flight into Chicago Midway (yes, he flew Southwest).

I saw Thurman at the Buffalo airport flying out after he was inducted to the Wall of Fame.  I congratulated him and he said thanks.

Been on flights with Christian Laettner a couple times back to Buffalo when he was in school.  Also was on a flight once with Randy Macho Man Savage.

Once at JFK Andy Rooney was directly ahead of me in line at one of the news stands  - he almost walked away without his bag but I intervened - he also said Thanks :) 

I went to the Vikings game as a guest of a Vikings player that my daughter and son-in -law are good friends with.  Sat in the “friends and family” section, and had to keep my excitement low key during the game. The atmosphere in the family lounge after the game was like a funeral waiting for the players to come out. Was a really great experience all the way around. Hope the Vikings make up for it tonight.  Their fans and the stadium experience before, during and after was so much more refined than a Bills game LOL. Didn’t see a drunk until out on the street way after the game was over. 

Interesting reading the posts of celebrity encounters.

I have a hard time reading faces and placing them as famous people. Add a helmet to their head, and my facial recognition declines even further. All these posters saying they met so-and-so, I'm jealous of their celebrity recognition ability.

I was in BUF airport the Sunday of a home game. These three very large older dudes with Bills colors come through. People are doing selfies and mugging with them. I had know idea who they were. #$%^&%

I'm not totally disabled. I once met Rick Jeaneret by recognizing his voice.

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It was very cool.

…………...…… And she says, "Oh, my son's on the team." ……………..…….She said Ryan loved Buffalo and that they had connections in the city and to the team.

………………...she said that she was related to Robb Riddick. Brother-in-law, I think she said ...? I was psyched as I remembered him well and had a chance to make up for my idiocy. "He was a running back, right? He was a good player." She just smiled and said thanks.…………...…………You guys probably already know the Robb Riddick thing but as I say, I've been off the grid, and I just thought that was a very cool thing. She said the family went a little nuts when the Bills called to bring Ryan in...………………………………….

Nice story. Thanks. Funny how a year changes a players perspective. It is possible the mom/family you ran into was more excited about Lewis signing with Bills than Lewis may have been. At least last year.https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/10/buffalo_bills_attempted_to_sign_new_england_patriots_cb_off_practice_squad.html 

Edited by cba fan

11 minutes ago, boater said:

I have a hard time reading faces and placing them as famous people. Add a helmet to their head, and my facial recognition declines even further. All these posters saying they met so-and-so, I'm jealous of their celebrity recognition ability.

I'm the same way, I'll look and be thinking that they look familiar, but can't remember the name. 

Back years ago, when you could still stand in the players parking lot before games, myself and #89 (Cindy for the old timers here) spot this guy and one of the Bills front office personnel walking out of the tunnel and heading towards us, on their way to the Field House. As they pass, we say hi, they say hi back. But neither of us could think of who this guy is. It hits us as they are about halfway to the Field House, it's Chuck Mangione. He was there to play the anthem that day. There was definitely time that if we had recognized him sooner we could have got a picture with him. 

Another story, Bills vs Jags in London a few years ago. Part of the hotel/ticket package I bought included a Saturday night get together at a bar in London where some former Bills were to appear, but no names since whoever they booked could change. The then girlfriend, now wife, arrive late and who's there doing a Q&A? Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas. But my wife, having only become a Bills fan the year prior when she met me, doesn't know who it is and asks me if that's Troy Aikman. 

• Like (+1) 1

Good stuff! 

The first couple weeks were a good time to be off the grid and sounds like you came back about the right time.

I actually sat next to Siran Neal's brother week 2 watching the game.  He's a Jags fan so he showed up late because that was the week the Jags played the Pats.  Good guy.  Said he'd be back and I saw him again on Sunday, but he was sitting in a different part of the bar.

Minor thing, but Neal's name is pronounced SiRON, not SiRAN.

9 hours ago, BiffFromTonawanda said:

Robb Riddick is the cousin of Will Lewis, who is Ryan's father. Both Robb and Will went to Millersville University in PA. Ryan Lewis went to Pitt, so it looks like that whole family is from Pennsylvania.

I think Ryan Lewis has the potential to be our next Jabari Greer...that is, an undrafted free agent CB who can be a solid NFL starter.

Yep.  And Tim Lewis is his uncle.  He went to Pitt and was a first round pick of the Packers who had to retire prematurely due to a neck injury.    Louis Riddick is also his cousin.  I believe Ryan Lewis grew up in Seattle though.  His pop worked for the Seahawks.

Edited by purple haze

Since we are sharing stories, back in 1988 I flew my wife into Dallas/Fort Worth for our company Xmas party

I used my points to upgrade her to First Class. She told me that she sat next to this guy wearing white shorts and a golf shirt. She said he was really arrogant to the attendant and was really pissed that my wife didn’t know who he was. 

Shes not into sports and is not the type to talk to people on flights, never mind ask them who they are or what they do for a living. 

So a few weeks later we are in our local corner store and she points to the cover of the People magazine and says, that’s the ahole on my flight to Dallas. 

It it was Andre Agassi when he still had hair, lol.   

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

I'm the same way, I'll look and be thinking that they look familiar, but can't remember the name. 

Back years ago, when you could still stand in the players parking lot before games, myself and #89 (Cindy for the old timers here) spot this guy and one of the Bills front office personnel walking out of the tunnel and heading towards us, on their way to the Field House. As they pass, we say hi, they say hi back. But neither of us could think of who this guy is. It hits us as they are about halfway to the Field House, it's Chuck Mangione. He was there to play the anthem that day. There was definitely time that if we had recognized him sooner we could have got a picture with him. 

Another story, Bills vs Jags in London a few years ago. Part of the hotel/ticket package I bought included a Saturday night get together at a bar in London where some former Bills were to appear, but no names since whoever they booked could change. The then girlfriend, now wife, arrive late and who's there doing a Q&A? Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas. But my wife, having only become a Bills fan the year prior when she met me, doesn't know who it is and asks me if that's Troy Aikman. 

Chuck is the man. My cousin was his dentist. 

10 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I once gave Leif Larson a piece of pizza, because he asked for it. Even said please and thank you. 

Leif Larsen the polar bear wrestler! Wow, what a name drop for Buffalo Bills trivia enthusiasts! He's the guy we picked at #194 in the 2000 NFL draft because he was super strong, despite not having demonstrated any other skills or any talent for the game of football. Five picks later, the Patriots selected Tom Brady.

42 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I kind of skimmed through and at a glance thought you were offering opportunities to take pictures with murph 

I am. I can also arrange that Chris Brown leaves your voicemail message. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

A Sean post with the word “dentist” in it. Maybe my lasik is on the fritz. Know any good eye-on-tologists? 

I was more trying to call attention to Chuck Mangione. YouTube the song, feels so good, and tell me you don’t want to do cocaine while watching a sunset. 

Edited by teef

OP, cool encounter.  Being off the grid, I wouldn't feel too bad about not knowing a PS player who was called up during one of the weeks you were away.

I used to tend bar at a country club that Pete Metzelaars belonged to in my late teens/early 20s.  Really nice guy.  Very quiet and unassuming, almost shy.  Must have been hard to try not to be noticed when you're a massive human being with bright red hair...

Joe Devlin used to coach my highschool girlfriend's little brother in tee-ball in the late 80s or early 90s.  I'll refrain from going into detail about what I thought of him, but he shouldn't coach children.  Summer sports should be fun.  I think my gf's brother could have used counseling for PTSD after that summer.

Antowain Smith walked right past me at the McKinley Mall once during his playing days... for a running back that was one big dude.  He was occupied with something and wasn't looking my way which is probably a good thing because I'm pretty sure I had an incredulous expression on my face while thinking "Who's the dude with the freakishly large quads... oh, s***, that's Antowain Smith!"

I was in Houston at Bush Intercontinental and ran into Vince Young a month or so after the Bills cut him.  Either he took it hard and decided to curl up with a few hundred tubs of Ben and Jerry's or I'm pretty sure I know one of the reasons they cut him...

I also saw Sam Wyche in the Buffalo airport some time toward the end of the 2005 season... he didn't much look like talking, and frankly I didn't have anything nice to say to him anyway.

I know, not much of a contribution, but at least now that I've shared my close encounters with football greatness I feel like part of the group. ^_^

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

It's all fun and games until you go to the fridge for a beer and find a squid staring up at you.

Its fun and games until you go back to the fridge for another beer, see that the squid is now gone,  only to find it in bed with your wife.

14 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

with so much turnover it's hard to keep track of the players.  

years back I could name a whole bunch of guys (beyond the stars) 

today ...  not so much 

(and it aint old age ;) )

Random add on—one of my proudest fan moments coming up was being able to memorize/recite each players name from the team photo in 1993–back then players actually were proud to play most of their careers with only one team (or so I’d like to believe)—anyway, the guy I always thought had the coolest name on that roster was LB Marvcus Patton—dude could play some pretty good ball to boot.

I almost forgot... while not Bills related, Jack Del Rio almost ran me over with a shopping cart at a Whole Foods in New Orleans a couple of months back.  It was my fault. As I walked past him I thought "Was that Jack Del Rio?", so like a moron I stopped to do a double take only to find he was now on the move and I had just abruptly stopped walking right in front of him.  It was definitely him.  He's a pretty big dude who looks like he could still play.

Edited by transient

16 hours ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Awesome story, OP, thanks. Ironically, given your moniker, I used to see Thurman's mom occasionally in Houston during the Bills glory years, where she worked at my local post office. We'd always chat about the Bills; super nice lady (although she also looked like wouldn't take any guff from a young Thurman!). Also, I remember Robb Riddick well. He toiled on some pretty crappy Bills teams in the mid-80s -- but the guy was absolute money from short yardage, goal line, etc. He got some serious air on those dive plays. Now we have big Josh for that!  :D

Yeah, I also have very fond memories of Riddick as a very tough player, a guy I liked.

15 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I suppose I can overlook your ignorance in view of the fact you were out of touch for a couple weeks.  LOL  Cool story.  BTW, I spent a great vacation there 25 years ago.  We stayed at the Lizard Creek campground at the northern end of the Grand Teton NP.  Every evening we had a gopher visit our campsite.  

I can top that from this trip. 

Saw three adult grizzlies, one of whom was a sow with two cubs, all wild, one a hundred yards away and the other two around forty to fifty yards away. I went to Yellowstone 45 or 50 years ago when everyone saw grizzlies because the Park had a garbage dump inside the park and there were usually half a dozen bears scavenging at that dump. I thought it would still be like that this trip but when we got there we discovered that that dump is gone and the bears aren't spotted nearly as often.

On that earlier trip I saw something I've never forgotten as a result of it's being the single stupidest thing I've ever seen. In Yellowstone when you see cars lined up on the side of the road you know there are usually animals there. So we saw probably 30 cars lined up on both sides of the road and slow traffic. We just drove past and there was a massive adult grizzly within five yards of the road. And a guy had gotten out of his car, bringing his wife and son who was maybe eight years old. He had put his son on top of the grizzly to ride it, he was standing right beside it and his wife was standing two or three yards in front of him slowly lining up a picture. I asked my dad, "should we yell at him to get back in his car?" And my dad said, "No, we're not going to make any noise now, son." There were no reports of a tragedy so this moron got away with it but I'll never forget it. Whenever anyone mentions Darwin awards, that's what I think of.

Oh, and one thing you learn in Yellowstone is how absolutely massive and powerful wild buffalo are. We must have seen several hundred, two big herds and maybe eight or ten solos. Man, those are some seriously huge animals. 

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a totally cool story but I can't help wondering how you managed to go "off the grid" with a 3 year old in Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs?

I know I know, mind for irrelevencies.

Def. watch the game.  I thought Lewis played well and is made a good case for himself.  I hope he beats out Phillip Gaines, who did not look good IMO, though to be fair to both, Gaines did not have a pass rush in front of him while Lewis benefited from some guys who played like their parts were on fire and hitting would put it out.

There's wifi in only a couple of places in the park, and you have to pay. Part of the time we were in those places but who wants to go to a place like that and spend time on the internet?

Around half the park has cell service, but again, we didn't want to use our phones except to take pictures.

Truly a glorious area and a great vacation.

I've caught up with the first two games since getting back. Yikes. Watching them it was nice to know things improve a bit in week three.

Edited by Thurman#1

22 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Fan card revoked.  Not knowing the position of a specific player? Guilty! Not being aware of Bills game time irregardless of time zone? Guilty! Not knowing the status of a Bills game up to the minute? Guilty.

I'm sorry, but you are no longer welcome here.

“Irregardless” is a double negative and therefore the use of “ir-“ is redundant. “Regardless” already means “without regard”.

My grammar lesson for the day.

Edited by Sky Diver

21 hours ago, stevewin said:

Cool story

Thanks for this.  Enjoyed watching it.  Nice accumulation of different ways to beat a goal line defense.  Robb was not that big but ran really tough.  You don't see shoulder pads like that anymore.  Most impressive one to me was near the end against the Oilers (playoof game?) where he went in backwards while under tackle with his butt about 2" off the turf.  Lots of leg strength required for that along with an assist from Jim Ritcher.

I met a guy who played football at Wake Forest and had a brief career in the NFL as a kick returner. He said the minute he decided to quit football was when he got laid out by London Fletcher. He said all through his football career he had never been hit hard enough to not want to play anymore until then. 

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

“Irregardless” is a double negative and therefore the use of “ir-“ is redundant. “Regardless” already means “without regard”.

My grammar lesson for the day.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/irregardless-real-word-regardless-kory-stamper-education-dictionary-mean-girls-lexicon-merriam-webster-2017-6

9 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

My Catholic school education kicks in when I see a butchering of the language.

From your link “...if you use "irregardless," people will think you're uneducated.”

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

My Catholic school education kicks in when I see a butchering of the language.

From your link “...if you use "irregardless," people will think you're uneducated.”

I’ll look past the fact that you just called me uneducated & remind you that you have taken this topic far afield. Please try to be relevant.