Met the mother of a current Bill this week

Thurman#1

It was very cool.

The wife and daughter and I were flying out of Denver last Sunday after a couple of awesome weeks off the grid in Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs. Fantastic, though I had pretty much missed everything Bills-related. Saw half the first game at Lodo's in Denver, which turned out to be great Bills bar but that's all I'd seen, and I'd tried to avoid the rest so I could watch it on Game Pass back in Japan, but I didn't have any idea how the season had gone.

Anyway, we're leaving the check-in counter and I see that a smiling lady, an employee of the airline we're on, has given my little three year-old daughter a set of pilot wings. I thought that was sweet, so I went over to say thank you, and I noticed she had a Bills piece of jewelry right on her uniform. I asked her if she was a fan and she said she was, and we talked for a minute or two. She mentions player names and I can see she's a real fan.

So I was about to say goodbye and my Japanese wife, who absolutely loves to talk to strangers, asks her why she became a Bills fan. And she says, "Oh, my son's on the team." 

I kind of did a double-take and asked who and she said, "Ryan Lewis." I pretty much blanked on the name. Stupidly, I had a kind of glimmer and said something moronic like, "He's ... wait, is he? Is he a linebacker or a defensive lineman?" Not my finest hour. She says, "No, he's a cornerback." Looking like a fool, I just said, "Oh, that's great, when did he ...?" And she kindly told me he's just joined the team. And then she says, "He's playing today. Are you listening to the game? Do you know what's happening?" It was just a bit after noon in Denver so it took me a minute to realize that the game must have started. 

Then she says, "It's 24 - 0." 

And she's smiling, so I'm like, "The Bills are up? Against the Vikings?" 

She says she's checking her scores app every few seconds, hauls out her phone and says, "No, it's 27 - 0," with obvious glee.

We both got happy after that and talked a while. We had to go through the long security line so we had to get moving, but we talked for about five minutes. She said Ryan loved Buffalo and that they had connections in the city and to the team.

I asked her about what the connection was and she said that she was related to Robb Riddick. Brother-in-law, I think she said ...? I was psyched as I remembered him well and had a chance to make up for my idiocy. "He was a running back, right? He was a good player." She just smiled and said thanks.

It was a really nice conversation. She was a very kind person and talked a while to my daughter as well.

You guys probably already know the Robb Riddick thing but as I say, I've been off the grid, and I just thought that was a very cool thing. She said the family went a little nuts when the Bills called to bring Ryan in.

I've never really met a Bills family member before, so it was a really nice thing for me. She couldn't have been nicer. I wished her and her son good luck and we shared a "Go Bills."

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 22
  • Thank you (+1) 8

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It was very cool.

The wife and daughter and I were flying out of Denver last Sunday after a couple of awesome weeks off the grid in Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs. Fantastic, though I had pretty much missed everything Bills-related. Saw half the first game at Lodo's in Denver, which turned out to be great Bills bar but that's all I'd seen, and I'd tried to avoid the rest so I could watch it on Game Pass back in Japan, but I didn't have any idea how the season had gone.

Anyway, we're leaving the check-in counter and I see that a smiling lady, an employee of the airline we're on, has given my little three year-old daughter a set of pilot wings. I thought that was sweet, so I went over to say thank you, and I noticed she had a Bills piece of jewelry right on her uniform. I asked her if she was a fan and she said she was, and we talked for a minute or two. She mentions player names and I can see she's a real fan.

So I was about to say goodbye and my Japanese wife, who absolutely loves to talk to strangers, asks her why she became a Bills fan. And she says, "Oh, my son's on the team." 

I kind of did a double-take and asked who and she said, "Ryan Lewis." I pretty much blanked on the name. Stupidly, I had a kind of glimmer and said something moronic like, "He's ... wait, is he? Is he a linebacker or a defensive lineman?" Not my finest hour. She says, "No, he's a cornerback." Looking like a fool, I just said, "Oh, that's great, when did he ...?" And she kindly told me he's just joined the team. And then she says, "He's playing today. Are you listening to the game? Do you know what's happening?" It just a bit after noon in Denver so it took me a minute to realize that the game must have started. 

She says she's checking her scores app every few seconds, hauls out her phone and says, "No, it's 27 - 0," with obvious glee.

We both got happy after that and talked a while. We had to go through the long security line so we had to get moving, but we talked for about five minutes. She said Ryan loved Buffalo and that they had connections in the city and to the team.

I asked her about what the connection was and she said that she was related to Robb Riddick. Brother-in-law, I think she said ...? I was psyched as I remembered him well and had a chance to make up for my idiocy. "He was a running back, right? He was a good player." She just smiled and said thanks.

It was a really nice conversation. She was a very kind person and talked a while to my daughter as well.

You guys probably already know the Robb Riddick thing but as I say, I've been off the grid, and I just thought that was a very cool thing. She said the family went a little nuts when the Bills called to bring Ryan in.

I've never really met a Bills family member before, so it was a really nice thing for me. She couldn't have been nicer. I wished her and her son good luck and we shared a "Go Bills."

Great stuff here.

It was very cool.

I kind of did a double-take and asked who and she said, "Ryan Lewis." I pretty much blanked on the name. Stupidly, I had a kind of glimmer and said something moronic like, "He's ... wait, is he? Is he a linebacker or a defensive lineman?" Not my finest hour. She says, "No, he's a cornerback." Looking like a fool, I just said, "Oh, that's great, when did he ...?" And she kindly told me he's just joined the team. And then she says, "He's playing today. Are you listening to the game? Do you know what's happening?" It was just a bit after noon in Denver so it took me a minute to realize that the game must have started. 

I've never really met a Bills family member before, so it was a really nice thing for me. She couldn't have been nicer. I wished her and her son good luck and we shared a "Go Bills."

• Haha (+1) 1

Real neat story.  Robb is one of my all time favorites. Lots of NFL players in his family and ryan would be of the next generation.  Robb played bigger than he was and punished his would be tacklers.  It took him a long time to actually start playing as he was stashed on IR for multiple years which was common back then.  He was drafted out of Millersville and seeing him at Fredonia and preseason games,  I thought he might make a good pro so I felt vindicated when he eventually did so.   I saw a similar style with James Conner of the Steelers coming out of Pitt but at 230+ lbs.   Both grinding out the tough yards on every play, not a whole lot of dancing, and making defenders pay a price for the tackle.  Being a ready, willing and able blocker made him an effective 3rd down back.  He had a great over the pile leap and his skill set  made him a very good goal line/short yardage back.  

I find it strange that I have not heard much about him all these years.  I hope he has fared well but given how he played, I fear he may be a candidate for the CTE  issues we have all been hearing about.  

Robb Riddick is the cousin of Will Lewis, who is Ryan's father. Both Robb and Will went to Millersville University in PA. Ryan Lewis went to Pitt, so it looks like that whole family is from Pennsylvania.

I think Ryan Lewis has the potential to be our next Jabari Greer...that is, an undrafted free agent CB who can be a solid NFL starter.

• Like (+1) 3

Awesome story, OP, thanks. Ironically, given your moniker, I used to see Thurman's mom occasionally in Houston during the Bills glory years, where she worked at my local post office. We'd always chat about the Bills; super nice lady (although she also looked like wouldn't take any guff from a young Thurman!). Also, I remember Robb Riddick well. He toiled on some pretty crappy Bills teams in the mid-80s -- but the guy was absolute money from short yardage, goal line, etc. He got some serious air on those dive plays. Now we have big Josh for that!  :D

Edited by Stranded in Boston

5 minutes ago, teef said:

my mom goes to church with john fina's aunt.

just putting that out there.

I once was standing next to John Murphy at baggage claim.  I tried to take a pic with him but my phone froze and needed to restart it.  I told him I won't keep you waiting and he said thank you.  Top that story.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I once was standing next to John Murphy at baggage claim.  I tried to take a pic with him but my phone froze and needed to restart it.  I told him I won't keep you waiting and he said thank you.  Top that story.

was he eating when you met him?

also, who wants a picture with john murphy?

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I'm glad i'm not the only one who draws a blank sometimes in these kind of situations.    Then 2 hours later you think of all the knowledge you could have put out there to prove you're not a casual Bills fan (there are none)

with so much turnover it's hard to keep track of the players.  

years back I could name a whole bunch of guys (beyond the stars) 

today ...  not so much 

(and it aint old age ;) )

31 minutes ago, BiffFromTonawanda said:

Robb Riddick is the cousin of Will Lewis, who is Ryan's father. Both Robb and Will went to Millersville University in PA. Ryan Lewis went to Pitt, so it looks like that whole family is from Pennsylvania.

I think Ryan Lewis has the potential to be our next Jabari Greer...that is, an undrafted free agent CB who can be a solid NFL starter.

That’s awesome. I have not listened to his interview yet from this week but maybe he talks about this there. I’m going to listen to it right now. I was a big fan of Robb Riddick as a kid.

19 minutes ago, drf1835 said:

That's ok. I  didn't know Louis Riddick, the ESPN guy who sounds exactly like Robb, was Robb Riddick's brother. I thought Robb just changed his name to Louis. 

Seriously? Didn’t know that either 

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It was very cool.

Just be glad that Joe Sixpack wasn’t there.

I suppose I can overlook your ignorance in view of the fact you were out of touch for a couple weeks.  LOL  Cool story.  BTW, I spent a great vacation there 25 years ago.  We stayed at the Lizard Creek campground at the northern end of the Grand Teton NP.  Every evening we had a gopher visit our campsite.  

43 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I once gave Leif Larson a piece of pizza, because he asked for it. Even said please and thank you. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The wife and daughter and I were flying out of Denver last Sunday after a couple of awesome weeks off the grid in Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs. Fantastic, though I had pretty much missed everything Bills-related. Saw half the first game at Lodo's in Denver, which turned out to be great Bills bar but that's all I'd seen, and I'd tried to avoid the rest so I could watch it on Game Pass back in Japan, but I didn't have any idea how the season had gone.(...)

This is a totally cool story but I can't help wondering how you managed to go "off the grid" with a 3 year old in Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs?

I know I know, mind for irrelevencies.

Def. watch the game.  I thought Lewis played well and is made a good case for himself.  I hope he beats out Phillip Gaines, who did not look good IMO, though to be fair to both, Gaines did not have a pass rush in front of him while Lewis benefited from some guys who played like their parts were on fire and hitting would put it out.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Petrino & I were coming back from Super Bowl XXVIII and we ran into Larry Felser at the airport.  We talked with him for about a minute, but there was a group of women around his age there and he was a lot more interested in talking with them than us for obvious reasons.  

We also saw Troy Aikman at LAX Tuesday morning after Super Bowl XXVII but didn't talk with him.  When he 1st walked by I said "That guy looks just like Troy Aikman", then a few seconds after he passed by, an airport worker started saying "Troy Aikman, Troy Aikman"  Later we joked that since we had Monday's Buffalo News*** with us, we should have had him sign the front page.  The reason he was still in LA Monday & didn't leave until Tuesday was because he went on the Tonight Show after his Super Bowl win.  

***-The reason we had the Buffalo News is back in those days the News would send copies of the paper to the host city for a few days before the game & the day after.  There was a list of places that had it.  We drove around & finally found a hotel in Brentwood that had the Buffalo News.  When we saw the News at the front desk we asked the clerk how much & he told us to take as many as we wanted for free.  I think he was hoping we'd take them all because it appeared that he viewed them as a nuisance.   

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It was very cool.

Fan card revoked.  Not knowing the position of a specific player? Guilty! Not being aware of Bills game time irregardless of time zone? Guilty! Not knowing the status of a Bills game up to the minute? Guilty.

I'm sorry, but you are no longer welcome here.

• Haha (+1) 1

Great story.  I hear Ryan played pretty well this week and impressed the coaches.  On the Milano INT play, you can see Lewis going crazy, bouncing up and down celebrating.  I was a little surprised by his enthusiasm with him being so new and coming over from the Pats.  But he was really, really into the game.  I hope he takes over for Vontae's old spot if he's good enough.  He looks like he plays with more heart than Vontae ever had.

Oh, and my dad had a Japanese wife once.  She's my mother. 

Edited by Generic Screen Name 2

1 minute ago, Generic Screen Name 2 said:

Great story.  I hear Ryan played pretty well this week and impressed the coaches.  On the Milano INT play, you can see Lewis going crazy, bouncing up and down celebrating.  I was a little surprised by his enthusiasm with him being so new and coming over from the Pats.  But he was really, really into the game.  I hope he takes over for Vontae's old spot if he's good enough.  He looks like he plays with more heart that Vontae ever had.

Oh, and my dad had a Japanese wife once.  She's my mother. 

Have you met @Royale with Cheese?  You two might be related!!

Couldn't be more happier for you!

So it's my first time up to see the Bills play a home opener. It was the one vs the "fish" . I fly from Dallas Fort Worth Airport to Cleveland then on to Buffalo.

My original flight out was delayed so it made me rebook the flight from Cleveland to Buffalo.  

So we all board the flight in  Cleveland,a lady walks down the aisle and sees me in my Cowboys game gear shirt. She says "Dallas isn't playing in Buffalo" I said that's correct they play the Redskins Sunday night but my best friends team does. The lady said "does the name Edwards sound familiar"?  I said "yes  does October 30 sound familiar to you"?  She replies "no"

I then ask so are you the Mother or the Aunt? She says Aunt his Mother is sitting in that seat over there.  I was amazed! So the Aunt says what am I supposed to know about October 30?  I said it's your nephew's birthday. I then said when the Bills are your best friends team you make a point to learn the quarterback ( Trent Edwards ).

We talked some more while we waited for our bags there at the jet way. They both were very pleasant. 

So my best friend picks me up at the airport and asks "how'd the flight go from Cleveland"?  I said great and I got to meet Trent Edwards Mother and Aunt.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a totally cool story but I can't help wondering how you managed to go "off the grid" with a 3 year old in Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs?

I know I know, mind for irrelevencies.

Def. watch the game.  I thought Lewis played well and is made a good case for himself.  I hope he beats out Phillip Gaines, who did not look good IMO, though to be fair to both, Gaines did not have a pass rush in front of him while Lewis benefited from some guys who played like their parts were on fire and hitting would put it out.

The biggest rap on Lewis is his inexperience, he only started one season in college for him to play as well as he did is incredibly encouraging.  He can run a sub 4.40.