Week 2: Bills vs. Chargers Postgame - Problems with the Process

26CornerBlitz

4 minutes ago, EersN'Bills said:

1.) Defense in the 2nd Half after McD took over the playcalling.

2.) Allen. For his first game, with that offense, he played well. Made rookie mistakes but that's to be expected.

Right now, we're projected to have $90 Million in cap space next offseason according to Spotrac and will have a high draft pick. The future is bright. 

Agree.   We just have to get through this season.   5-6 wins would be nice. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

This kid has my confidence. QB of the future.

This was one of the best things I saw today.

Always encouraging all of his teammates offense AND defense.

Always looking at the playbook and with the headphones on while he's on th e sideline.

Talk about feeling our way around to start the season... last week it was figuring out the QB position. This week it was figuring out the defense.

I think if we can eek out a win in the next 2 weeks and be 1-3 going into the softer part of our schedule we should all be ecstatic.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

Josh Allen, with an historically bad supporting cast around him, looks pretty damn promising. He's going to take some lumps this year, and throw some picks, but, man, he is poised and talented.

On another note, this team does not deserve us.

The team that played the second half I will cheer for all day! 

Allen showed a lot and the second half. The D got better as the game went on, that typically doesn’t happen when you are losing. 

Not only did the team not quit it played better in adversity. 

Another draft and FA and I think we are going to get rewarded for our patience. Stay the course.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McDermott and Player Interviews along with Postgame analysis links.

Did anyone else wonder whose suitcoat Josh Allen was wearing?  Looked like you coulda put about 1.5 of him in that thing.  Either that or it’s cut to fit over a flak jacket - a big one.

Except for one horrible flashback when he started the presser saying ‘It’s hard to win football games in the NFL” (aaaaaaaarrrrgh!) pretty good presser.

You could tell he wasn’t thrilled to be out there, but he handled himself pretty well.

I liked the way he kind of lit up when he was asked if he watched Rivers and what he learned from it.  If he loves football that much that he’s learning from the opposing QB during a butt-whupping, we may have something.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

No no no.

McD of course should be calling D. Frazier is a very experienced Coach. You don't dump him. you tweak him. He does not need to be fired. the way the HC commands the game perhaps

The defense is terrible. You fire him. I don’t care how dumb other teams have been for keeping him in the league for a while.

Certainly more hopeful after watching half #2.  Defense woke up, KB even caught some passes including a td. Excited to see the progress Josh makes.  Almost wish the Bills would just go hire a good retired qb just to sit with him during the games and show him stuff,  Does Peyton want to b a q whisperer?

4 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Certainly more hopeful after watching half #2.  Defense woke up, KB even caught some passes including a td. Excited to see the progress Josh makes.  Almost wish the Bills would just go hire a good retired qb just to sit with him during the games and show him stuff,  Does Peyton want to b a q whisperer?

Pretty sure Peyton joined a band.

GAME RECAP: Bills fall to the Chargers in home opener

Regular season records: Buffalo (0-2), Los Angeles (1-1)

In a nutshell:

The Bills woke up on both sides of the ball in the second half, but they ultimately couldn’t overcome the dynamic Chargers offense, dropping their home opener by a score of 31-20.

Following a lackluster first half, Buffalo’s offense improved in the third and fourth quarters, breaking off a few big plays and scoring their first touchdown of the season. The Bills outscored Los Angeles in the second half. Unfortunately, they were unable to overcome the 22-point deficit they entered halftime with.

The Bills’ defense also improved dramatically in the second half, holding the Chargers to just three points. Lorenzo Alexander was a consistent playmaker for Buffalo on Sunday, totaling seven tackles and a sack.

With the loss, Buffalo fell to 0-2 on the young season.

6 minutes ago, Steptide said:

If he can just learn to not look 30 yards down field every throw, he can be really good 

Agreed..he needs some time....just think how it must be going from mountain west competition...to elite level competition 

The first half looked like the Ravens game and like we would struggle to win a single game this year.

That changed at halftime and the 2nd half was a much more closely played game and entertaining at times. 

So let's hope the 2nd half Bills show up some more.

I still see 2 more losses for sure and we'll be 0-4 going into the Tennessee game.

At this point, pray we don't look horrible, pray we don't get blown out, and pray that Allen slowly and consistently improves every week.

45 minutes ago, EersN'Bills said:

1.) Defense in the 2nd Half after McD took over the playcalling.

2.) Allen. For his first game, with that offense, he played well. Made rookie mistakes but that's to be expected.

Right now, we're projected to have $90 Million in cap space next offseason according to Spotrac and will have a high draft pick. The future is bright. 

Yep. In my mind, I know this is true, and I even know this season is necessary in order to get where we all want to go. But still ... do we have to make it THIS painful? I mean, other teams tank in an ordinary manner. They're competitive, then they slip, then they decide it's time to rebuild from the ground up, and everyone knows what's happening and just kind of lives with it. The Bills, on the other hand, sucker us into believing that the big step forward just happened (playoffs!) only to pull the rug out from under us in the most stunning way possible.

1 hour ago, Success said:

I’m strangely excited.  I feel like the season is over - which, it being week 2, is a new record.

But Allen - I hope it’s not just the homer glasses, but he looks like the deal.  Of course he’ll make rookie mistakes, but let’s get this guy a line and a few real receivers.  The 2 decade search.may be over

? This made me laugh.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Next year there needs to be serious improvement on the team talent wise. I'd like them to do well that year but I'd accept a middle of the road year as the team has to get in sync with a bunch of new guys. Year after that though they need to be good.

How do you convince a bunch of talent to come to this?  Money?  

1 hour ago, Success said:

I mean, we arguably have the worst line and wr corps in the league.  Imagine Allen with even average units for both areas?

I loved how he looked today.

I didn't. I mean it was OK but even on many completed passes the ball placement was terrible. 

He took some bad sacks missing open receivers. He made some bad decisions. He threw 2 bad INTs.

Yes he did some good things too but with the knowledge that the easiest time for a rookie QB to look really good is his first game where the DCs have literally nothing to go off of, Allen is going to need to take some pretty big steps forward each week to even duplicate this game once DCs get tape on him.

Wentz looked all world his first 4 games then came down to earth and looked bad most of the rest of his rookie year.

Allen has a lot of improvement to make quickly or he is going to look really bad by week 8.

30 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Mc better continue to call the defensive plays until a new DC comes in.

This is really disturbing. He's a former head coach who McD brought in for some stability and wisdom. But this defense was pathetic. What the hell? Why would McD not have this understanding with Frasier earlier?

• Like (+1) 1

It was garbagetime after the third LA score

amd the Bills came out with some fight in the 2nd half, appreciated 

and they did their best not to show on TV how empty the lower tier of fans was early in the 4th 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Honestly they seemed more like the team people were expecting not good but with some fight in them. If they keep going this way hopefully they can get a few wins on the way to a big shift in the next two years.

We are who we thought we would be ...

What we learned so far from Sunday's Week 2 games

1. It wasn't a flawless performance, but cross-country treks in Week 2 of any NFL season typically don't breed peerless performances. In the end, the Chargers (1-1) did everything they needed to do to win against a beatable opponent. Philip Rivers led the way, completing 23 of 27 passes for 256 yards and three touchdowns. Two of those touchdown passes were to Melvin Gordon, who finished the game with three TDs on 66 total yards. Austin Ekeler helped out with 77 yards on 11 carries in addition to making three catches for 21 yards. Most of this production came in the first half when the Chargers offense seemed to be more or less operating at will against a Buffalo defense that managed to make some progress since last week's blowout loss to the Baltimore Ravens. While the Chargers definitely showed flashes of what they're capable of on offense, it seemed like the whole thing lost its voltage once the team took a three-TD lead. They probably aren't on the same level as the molten-hot Chiefs' offense, but it seems the Chargers are capable of offering more when it comes to lighting up the scoreboard.

2. Josh Allen's first career start for the Bills (0-2) was packed full of big-armed, rookie drama. The first-round pick completed 18 of 33 passes for 245 yards and a touchdown in tandem with eight carries for 32 yards. He also threw two interceptions and hardly had a chance to breathe easy playing behind a offensive line that couldn't keep the pressure off. Still, it was definitely a step beyond the Nathan Peterman experience that went nowhere in Week 1. Allen definitely did enough to keep his starting quarterback role, piecing together some good throws in combination with some gutsy runs. His 57-yard pass to Zay Jones got a standing ovation from the crowd at New Era even if the team did run into the tunnel at halftime amid a smattering of boos. Allen will continue to grow and improve, but the lack of on-field supporting staff will continue to make it a hard-knocks life for the rookie moving forward.

3. LeSean McCoy said earlier this week the Bills needed to do a better job giving Allen support, and they sort of did that -- at least they did it more than they did in Week 1. McCoy tallied 39 yards on a nine carries and also caught four passes for 29 yards. However, his afternoon came to an abrupt end when he left the game in the fourth quarter after suffering an injury to his ribs.

-- Austin Knoblauch

Jordan Poyer: "We Had Some Halftime Adjustments" (2:19)

S Jordan Poyer addresses the media regarding the performance of the defense against the Chargers.

Top 3 things we learned from Bills-Chargers

DnQHI4OU8AAEGeM.jpg

1 – McDermott calls defensive plays in second half

2 – Vontae Davis pulls himself from game, retires

3 – Allen battles through first start

Hmm.  I wonder what this means for Frazier.  Obviously, the defense was a whole lot better in the second half.  I think it is a given that McDermott is more aggressive calling the defensive plays than Frazier.  WillFrazier want to continue in the role of DC?  Will McDermott want him to?  If he does, will McDermott have Frazier call some games?  

Watching the PC of McDermot and Allen they both seemed to go okay. McDermot probably gave the best PC I've seen from him in recent memory. Something I enjoyed were some of the stupider questions people asked. Like who is helping Allen prepare for games? or Did this game turn out the way you dreamed it would when you were a kid?