Peterman pros and cons...

ChicagoRic

Just riffing here based of off watching as many snaps as possible on Youtube. 

Pros:

Quick release. 

Nice touch. 

Good ball placement. 

Decisive. 

Quick in and out of the huddle. 

Cons:

Arm could be better. Those out patterns. 

Looks like a different player when under pressure.  Makes panic/ill advised throws where he should maybe take the sack. 

Not a threat to run. 

Looks awkward when taking a hit.   I am concerned about injury.  

Peterman CAN succeed in the NFL, but will need a game plan that works to his strengths and hides his flaws.  He is a "system" QB, and does well when he sticks with the plan but flounders when things break down.  Sincerely hoping the Oline can get its "stuff" together.  

My prediction:  It will be injury, not incompetence, that will bring about a change in QB.   I believe in Daboll as an OC and he will get production out of Peterman.  

Thoughts?

Decicive on throwing bad throws. Every d coordinator is salivating at the idea. We are not only going to not block the front four. We'll won't pick up the blitzes at all. Tape is out on Peterman. 

We saw the picks and said "well it wasn't his fault". D coordinators saw the picks and said wouldn't it be hilarious if he starts next year??

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Pros:

Quick release. 

Nice touch. 

Good ball placement. 

Decisive. 

Cons:

Looks like a different player when under pressure.  Makes panic/ill advised throws where he should maybe take the sack. 

Not a threat to run. 

Peterman CAN succeed in the NFL, but will need a game plan that works to his strengths and hides his flaws.  He is a "system" QB, and does well when he sticks with the plan but flounders when things break down.  Sincerely hoping the Oline can get its "stuff" together.  

My prediction:  It will be injury, not incompetence, that will bring about a change in QB.   I believe in Daboll as an OC and he will get production out of Peterman.  

Thoughts?

Good analysis ChicagoRic. Nothing I disagree with. Your thoughts about the high probability of injury are interesting. I hope for him, not, but you may be very right in that observation.

• Like (+1) 1

If he had Fitzy's arm, which is weak, he could be Fitz. But it's weaker than Fitz. That's his problem. Fitz could wind up and get it there sometimes. Nate unfortunately can't. 

It sucks because if he did have slightly better arm strength he could be pretty good. 

Weaker than Fitzy's arm is a recipe for a lot of sad sighs.

• Like (+1) 2

Pros:

Quick release. 

Nice touch. 

Good ball placement. 

Decisive. 

Cons:

Not a threat to run. 

Thoughts?

....good assessment......pump fake on INFREQUENT outs, shorten them up and roll.......injury concern for me would come from heroics to get the extra yardage.....SLIDE son...Lou Brock made a living doing it....it's ok....:thumbsup:

During the draft Petermen arm was compared to Kirk Cousins who just signed a Huge deal.

Ive thought about this (not that it means much). So far my impression is that Kirk has a stronger arm. If I'm wrong then it certainly bodes well (or at least better than I expected) for NP.

Hes basically Fitz 

I think a JR Chad Pennington. Fitz might have a stronger arm than  Peterman. Actually all 3 are weak and scare the SHIETZE out of me.

If he can move the chains let him play. I just have feeling after 2-3 games PETERMAN CAN'T..........D will take away his short quick plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

How is he an upgrade over Tyrod out of curiosity?

He acknowledges wide receivers and he is decisive.

I don't anticipate yelling, "throw the !@#$ing ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 20 times/game anymore, like I have the past three years.

• Like (+1) 6

I really like Peterman. 

Unlike many of you I like the WGR crew. But Schoop made a comment last year on Peterman that I found soooo stupid. I tweeted him that I like Peterman because I think he's a Chad Pennington type and while he'll probably always be a backup, I think he'll have a long career as a backup, like a Colt McCoy type. Schoop said if that's all you predict for a players future then what's the point in drafting him? I was blown away by that logic. I mean, to me backup QB is a position on the team, and you want the best one you can get. And yes, I believe in drafting and developing QB's even if you think the most you can get out of them is backup material. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Agreed on all points above. It's pretty obvious what his strengths are. Hopefully we move the ball and the O-line holds up. He's Fitzpatrick Pennington Edwards but should have a long career as a backup/spot starter.

I loved Fitzpatrick Pennington Edwards. Great guy, awesome teammate. 

• Like (+1) 1

Pros:

Quick release. 

Nice touch. 

Good ball placement. 

Decisive. 

Cons:

Not a threat to run. 

Thoughts?

good ball placement???--altho i must admit i didnt see him this summer. hope he surprises us. i think he is the sacrificial lamb .

I have no problems cheering for Nate. 

I think I cheer for him more just cause we have sooooo many people bashing the 5 int game. There are a LOT of quarterbacks who would of performed that bad with joey bosa in their face every throw. I think it says something he kept getting up after getting crushed and worked hard and legit won the job this year. His odds were tiny to beat out AJ and Allen but he looked great and performed to his strengths. 

He doesn’t have a cannon but I also think too many people are underestimating his arm strength. 

I for one am excited for this first time in a very very long time the bills have a quarterback who can throw to an open spot where the receiver should be, as opposed to waiting for the receiver to get open. 

Sadly that may lead to some picks if our receivers don’t get out of their breaks fast enough or know the correct route they’re running. Cause if there’s one thing I have faith in from Nate it’s that he knows this playbook and knows where his guys are supposed to be. 

I still want Allen to win the job at some point, and be a top 10 quarterback in this league. 

But im always a sucker for rooting for the underdogs. I’d love to see Nate show up week one against the “elite” Ravens D and drop 22-28 for 260 yards and 3 td’s. 

I would even be happy with 15-25 for 185 yards 2td’s and 2 ints if we get the win lol 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I like Peterman because I think he's a Chad Pennington type and while he'll probably always be a backup, I think he'll have a long career as a backup, like a Colt McCoy type. Schoop said if that's all you predict for a players future then what's the point in drafting him?

That's a legitimate question to ask about a player who was drafted in the first round. When you draft him in the fifth, like they did Peterman, then you expect him to be a career backup at best, barring a miracle.

I have no problems cheering for Nate. 

I think I cheer for him more just cause we have sooooo many people bashing the 5 int game. There are a LOT of quarterbacks who would of performed that bad with joey bosa in their face every throw. I think it says something he kept getting up after getting crushed and worked hard and legit won the job this year. His odds were tiny to beat out AJ and Allen but he looked great and performed to his strengths. 

He doesn’t have a cannon but I also think too many people are underestimating his arm strength. 

I for one am excited for this first time in a very very long time the bills have a quarterback who can throw to an open spot where the receiver should be, as opposed to waiting for the receiver to get open. 

Sadly that may lead to some picks if our receivers don’t get out of their breaks fast enough or know the correct route they’re running. Cause if there’s one thing I have faith in from Nate it’s that he knows this playbook and knows where his guys are supposed to be. 

I still want Allen to win the job at some point, and be a top 10 quarterback in this league. 

But im always a sucker for rooting for the underdogs. I’d love to see Nate show up week one against the “elite” Ravens D and drop 22-28 for 260 yards and 3 td’s. 

I would even be happy with 15-25 for 185 yards 2td’s and 2 ints if we get the win lol 

the 5 interceptions didnt bother me...the thing that bothered me was the lack of anything that resembled talented QBing. and he looked like a mutt at the end of the Jax playoff game. havent seen him this yr--so hopefully a miracle happened and he grew some talent.

That's a legitimate question to ask about a player who was drafted in the first round. When you draft him in the fifth, like they did Peterman, then you expect him to be a career backup at best, barring a miracle.

Right. But there’s a lot of value in a good backup QB. Ask Philly!

• Like (+1) 1

Pro: he's the most expendable QB on the roster, so when he gets killed behind this OL, it won't be as great a loss.  

Con:  ...can't think of one, actually.  This offense is going to be a **** show regardless of who's under center,  so why does it matter?

See it as a good option.  If he plays well and team wins he stays in and players on team will be happy as they want to win this year.

If he does poorly and they lose, bring in Allen around game 5

I think Allen can learn alot on sidelines for a few weeks,  pace of game, pace of getting plays in and out, game day routine, regular season weekly routine, learn play book better, watching and listening, grind of a 16 game season plus 6 weeks of pre-season.  A few weeks of that and say plays 10 games I think is better than playing 16 games, but is very lost.

Only way it could work out bad is Peterman plays real well, but team still loses, then a little harder to sit him, but rare that a QB plays real well and team loses.

I would imagine he may get more practice reps with 1st team than a normal backup would get.