Ian Rapoport: "Josh Allen is not quite ready" to start

HappyDays

9 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Not picking on you, HappyDays, but why is Rapoport's opinion worthy of a separate thread?

Josh Allen's readiness has been much discussed in other threads by people more knowledgeable of the Bills & Allen than Ian Rapoport.  

sometimes threads by other people are nice to see hondo. 

you start a thread and let it roll 

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Ian Rapoport: 'Josh Allen is not quite ready' to start for #Bills https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/27/ian-rapoport-josh-allen-nathan-peterman-buffalo-bills/ 

Greg Cosell said about as much on Monday show with Murph. Did not put all blame on OL.

I thought Allen was more spooked by OL play that messed with his game unable to adjust.  At least it did not ruin his confidence , that's the important thing at this point .

This.  The OL was terrible but Allen was, as one lineman put it, "shook" from the jump.  Understandably so - but it won't help him to start right away, especially given the brutal schedule.  He'll take a beating and they'll be losing games.  Better for him to sit and get ready to come in and help them finish the season strong, which will build more confidence heading into 2019.  Sorry, that's just the reality of it.

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I don't think anyone is judging Allen's readiness based on yesterday's game alone though... The coaches aren't that stupid, and if they are, it doesn't bode well for Allen ever panning out. If they're dumb enough to judge a QB on one single preseason game, how can they be smart enough to draft the right QB in the first place?

Allen's readiness is based on his entire body of work, from before he came into the league up through camp & preseason. 

Through 3 games, he's completed 24/44 passes for 210 yards (54.5% Completions), Avg. 4.7 yards, with 2 TD's & 0 INT's. Completion percentage is his norm, while other numbers are a bit lower than you'd hope but he's raw & underdeveloped. The O-line is awful, even if people wanted to pretend it wasn't the entire offseason, so yes, it will be difficult for anyone to truly excel behind them.

However, people always say "no QB could play well behind that O-line!" every time we get a new QB & they fail to produce. While they won't play as well as they could, it's silly to say nobody could have done well. Though they improved, it's not like the Browns & Bengals have top of the league defenses... When QB's like JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Edwards, EJ Manuel, Tyrod Taylor, etc. got smashed around, their diehard supporters always blamed the O-line or OC rather than admit those QB's had a role in the problem.

It's not Allen's fault he's not ready, again, everyone knew he was a risk & a project at the position. Expecting him to make some astronomical leap in his first couple months on an NFL roster is ridiculous. The guy wasn't considered anywhere close to "pro ready" like Rosen or Darnold, and he's never played with or against top level talent on a consistent basis. The guy needs time! And that's ok! Why people are so hellbent on rushing out & destroying the shiny new toy is beyond me. This is a true rebuilding year. Let Peterman or McCarron take the beatings & hope they perform admirably.

If Peterman can play like he has been consistently, he can be successful like Chad Pennington was throughout his career. They're both smart, hard workers, quick learners, can read defenses, have good timing, yet are held back by their size & arm strength. Chad was still the best QB the Jets have had in decades, so if Peterman can perform even remotely similar, we may all be pleasantly surprised while Allen grows into the QB we want him to be :)

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough response.

I was actually referring to TBD users judging Allen on Sunday's game; not the coaching staff.  So I agree with what you wrote, there.  I do not, however, put any stock into preseason QB statistics.  If they meant anything, Trent Edwards would have a gold jacket.

The way the Bengals' first string D manhandled the Bills' first string O Line, I will stand by my assertment that no QB would have done well.  They were turnstiles.  And the former Buffalo QBs you listed really did suck.  If Allen belongs in that list, this team is in some major !@#$ing trouble.

One thing I don't understand is when people call Josh Allen a project.  Perhaps I have a different definition of "project" in the context of NFL drafts.  Nate Peterman was a project because he was drafted late and had that, "hey, ya never know," factor to him.  To me - that's a project.  Hell, Tom Brady was a project.  Allen was drafted in the top 10 of the first round.  No one is drafted there without the team who drafted him believing, 100%, that he will imminently be a major contributor to the team.  That doesn't necessarily mean immediately (see: Rodgers).  I get - and I respect - your opinion (a popular one) that Allen would benefit from a year on the bench.  I don't disagree.  But I've also, since preseason started, wanted the best QB to get the starting nod.  I honestly think that is Allen.

I agree that this is a rebuilding year, but my question is "why not let the kid get some real time experience?" Protecting him from getting hurt and protecting his psyche, to me, aren't valid reasons.  Especially if he's the best QB on the roster.

I am a Peterman fan.  I do have concerns, though, about his interceptions.  Yes, he has a quick release - but at what price?  And if he's going to be the next Chad Pennington, then the Jets can have him, in my opinion.

Here's the rub:  I really do like all three QBs.  I think the competition is close and I'll trust McDermott to make the call that's best for the team - and I'll be perfectly happy with it.  That's thanks to Beane getting McCarron and Allen to Buffalo, whilst keeping Peterman.  All good moves.

The problems with the O line (and LBs) are real.  This season may be a rough one (although, it might not).  I'm all for Josh Allen learning some tough lessons if it will make him better and more prepared for next season - when I feel this team will be ready to begin contending again.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

There's not a QB in the league who would have done well yesterday.

Two costly drops.

A run for (what appeared to be) a first down that, inexplicably, wasn't challenged.

Penalties (almost exclusively Miller) that put them in unfavorable situations.

Questionable, at best, play calling.

Judging Josh Allen's level of readiness based on yesterday's game is just plain silly.

Add in the facts that (1) Dawkins didn't play and (2) the coaching staff thought this game would be the best time to shift O-linemen around every series...

Until the game against the Bengals, my mindset was Josh had exceeded expectations and out of the three QB’s he gave us the best chance to win so I was okay with him starting and going thru the growing pains. However, no way do I start him with the hot mess of an OL in front of him. Until the online improves and can at least provide 3 seconds of pass protection it serves no purpose to put him out there.

I had hoped our OL would at least be serviceable. Peterman has played well, but less face reality. If we were ranking starting QB’s, Peterman would be ranked last. While he has been getting the ball out quicker, defenses will make him beat them deep and take away the middle, forcing Peterman’s weakness (arm strength) to throw the out or deep ball. IMO, this will be a major rebuilding year for the Bills. Major OL concerns, a starting QB that can’t make certain throws, zero pass rush by the front four and a weak LB core.

Unless this team drastically exceeds expectations, I feel we will be drafting in the top 5 next year. I’m actually okay with that as I can at least see a plan. Upgrade OL, LB, WR with draft and cap space and we finally should have a strong foundation and balance on both sides of the ball. If the season goes south, I could see them moving Shady later in the season for more draft picks.

Love my Bills and hoping I’m 100% wrong, but this season I’m setting my expectations lower based upon what I’ve seen thus far.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Funny how now that Allen is officially a bust everyone wants to jump on the Nate Peterdick bandwagon. Jump all you want you **** talking bastards; the internet never forgets.

Most of us who want Peterman to start understand the risk. Trust me, if he is the starter against Baltimore I will be holding my breath on every throw to the outside. I just think that all things considered he is still the best option right now. And for me it isn't just the offensive line and receivers looking like crap. I don't think Allen is quite ready for NFL game speed and it would do him good to be a backup QB until the bye. He's maybe a half second too slow and that can be developed off the field. If Peterman is a disaster it won't affect the future of the team at all. If Allen is a disaster that's a big problem and I'm worried things will snowball from there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Most of us who want Peterman to start understand the risk. Trust me, if he is the starter against Baltimore I will be holding my breath on every throw to the outside. I just think that all things considered he is still the best option right now. And for me it isn't just the offensive line and receivers looking like crap. I don't think Allen is quite ready for NFL game speed and it would do him good to be a backup QB until the bye. He's maybe a half second too slow and that can be developed off the field. If Peterman is a disaster it won't affect the future of the team at all. If Allen is a disaster that's a big problem and I'm worried things will snowball from there.

i agree.  as each play went on, allen looked a bit more panicked.  he didn't play terribly, but i just don't think he's quite  there yet.  once things slow down just a bit, he'll be ok.  for now, let nate hold down the fort.  i'm not looking forward for peterman to start, but i think it's the right move that this second.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

my question is "why not let the kid get some real time experience?" Protecting him from getting hurt and protecting his psyche, to me, aren't valid reasons.  Especially if he's the best QB on the roster.

First:  Great post.  It's always nice to see a thoughtfully written argument.

To respond to your question, I think there is a contrary case to be made in regards to the "protecting his psyche" aspect.  There is a difference between "taking your licks" (educational), and being routed (demoralizing).  You can't avoid injury, but there is a concept called "learned helplessness" that might be in play here if the team is too impatient.

This kid (and he is a kid) knows that the eyes of the whole league and the hopes of the city for a franchise QB are on his shoulders.  People react differently to pressure.  Kelly got fired up by criticism.  Peterman (for all his shortcomings, resilience seems to be a major strength) seems immune to it.  Others let the pressure get in their heads and it's all downhill after that (I think Ferguson was like that,  EJ as well, but I don't want to get into an argument about it).  If it were me, I would let Allen develop his footwork and learn the playbook while:

- the national spotlight finds other things to talk about

- the staff figures out how to make chicken salad out of the OL

- the rest of the offense learns Daboll's new scheme

- we get past four very tough defenses (Baltimore, SD, Minnesota, GB)

The VERY LAST THING I would want in this first year is Josh Allen  thinking "maybe they're right, maybe I am a bust".  I think it'll take two full years to see his potential come to fruition, and I think there are a lot of people waiting in the wings for him to fail, so they can "be right".  It'll take two bad games for the boo-birds, Rosen-fans, and ESPN talking heads to start lambasting him.  If Allen is going to be a 10-15 year solution (and I think he might be), another month isn't too much to wait to provide him with a better opportunity.  "Better" because the competition might be a bit easier and because the staff will have a better grip on the rest of the offense -- which has a lot of unknowns this year.  There will still be pressure, but maybe it'll be just a hair less.

I'm not sure there is a right or wrong call here  -- I guess it' depends on what Josh Allen is made of emotionally.  I'd sit him for at least the first four, but I trust McD's judgement.  I guess we'll see.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, _Underscore_ said:

To respond to your question, I think there is a contrary case to be made in regards to the "protecting his psyche" aspect.  There is a difference between "taking your licks" (educational), and being routed (demoralizing).  You can't avoid injury, but there is a concept called "learned helplessness" that might be in play here if the team is too impatient.

This kid (and he is a kid) knows that the eyes of the whole league and the hopes of the city for a franchise QB are on his shoulders.  People react differently to pressure.  Kelly got fired up by criticism.  Peterman (for all his shortcomings, resilience seems to be a major strength) seems immune to it.  Others let the pressure get in their heads and it's all downhill after that (I think Ferguson was like that,  EJ as well, but I don't want to get into an argument about it).  If it were me, I would let Allen develop his footwork and learn the playbook while:

- the national spotlight finds other things to talk about

- the staff figures out how to make chicken salad out of the OL

- the rest of the offense learns Daboll's new scheme

- we get past four very tough defenses (Baltimore, SD, Minnesota, GB)

The VERY LAST THING I would want in this first year is Josh Allen  thinking "maybe they're right, maybe I am a bust".  I think it'll take two full years to see his potential come to fruition, and I think there are a lot of people waiting in the wings for him to fail, so they can "be right".  It'll take two bad games for the boo-birds, Rosen-fans, and ESPN talking heads to start lambasting him.  If Allen is going to be a 10-15 year solution (and I think he might be), another month isn't too much to wait to provide him with a better opportunity.  "Better" because the competition might be a bit easier and because the staff will have a better grip on the rest of the offense -- which has a lot of unknowns this year.  There will still be pressure, but maybe it'll be just a hair less.

I'm not sure there is a right or wrong call here  -- I guess it' depends on what Josh Allen is made of emotionally.  I'd sit him for at least the first four, but I trust McD's judgement.  I guess we'll see.

I think he's got to have more mental toughness than that.  Look at Goff's rookie year, when he finally did play, he looked like a BUST!.   But give him a better HC and a couple WRs and all of a sudden LA is a sexy pick for the playoffs.     Goff looked like an NFL QB last season.   

So obviously he didn't buy into the media hype that he was a bust even after he played like one.   Allen will have to be mentally tough as well.   Tougher than one bad game and having the media start chattering.   

Allen had a bad game on Sunday.  The O-Line was horrendous at times, but 2-3 of those sacks wouldn't have been issues if he got the ball out faster.   Problem is you dont have the coaches tape, so I have no clue if the routes were open on those plays.  The entire offense was bad, but it doesn't remove the blame from Allen.   If thats McCarron, Tyrod, or even Peterman in the same scenario we let them share the blame.  Allen didnt play well. 

I have never been a big "sit and learn" fan, I dont know what sitting on your butt trying to look through the eyes of someone else really does for someone.   Yes you can see what they did in certain scenarios, but unless you're out there how can you really know.  

If Allen isn't ready to start, is he all the sudden ready if someone goes down?   Does he learn a thing being the number 3?  And if he is the number 2 why pay McCarron 5 million dollars this year to be your emergency QB?

I have faith in McDermott, but I really hope he has a plan here.  You cant spend the year going back and forth between Quarterbacks.  Once Allen is in, he needs to stay in until its obvious he is or isnt the answer.  Until then they need to draft a quarterback in some mid round every year until they know they have someone who is ready.  If not they will be out of a job quickly. 

This is just people trying to be right.

Week One of Preseason it was McCarron's job because he the steady veteran. He could execute the offense. And the Coaches agreed with that in their actions. McCarron got first team reps until he was injured. Peterman had not stood out in Training Camp, but he put up a high completion percentage in the Carolina game. Allen played to his Scouting Report, some flashes, some inaccurate throws.  

Week Two of Preseason, McCarron stunk up the joint (under heavy pressure) and Allen came in and "looked good". So then the narrative shifted to well we might as well start Allen and get the show on the road. Peterman got third string snaps, nobody was pushing for him. 

Week Three of Preseason, Allen looks terrible (under heavy pressure) and Peterman again moves the offense against the subs, and so now the narrative according to Bills fans is Peterman gives us the best chance to win. 

I think this is Bills fans reacting week to week. Swerving all over the road. Now we see threads that say Peterman was the plan the entire time. No he wasn't. Coaches gave Allen the first crack at first teams reps this week. He has outlasted McCarron (injured) and has the last best performance in a preseason game over Allen and so now Bills fans rush to Peterman is the answer. 

We don't want to "ruin" Allen. 

Peterman has played <2  real games and has 6 interceptions (5 in LA and immediately in the Jacksonville game).  

So my hunch is Peterman gets the start, like most fans want, and when this thing becomes a pop-gun offense after 3 weeks, the calls will start coming for Allen. Like sitting for 3 weeks was the ultimate learning difference. 

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

we seem to be agreeing a lot lately.

26 minutes ago, teef said:

i agree.  as each play went on, allen looked a bit more panicked.  he didn't play terribly, but i just don't think he's quite  there yet.  once things slow down just a bit, he'll be ok.  for now, let nate hold down the fort.  i'm not looking forward for peterman to start, but i think it's the right move that this second.

so, in short   R E L A X 

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

so, in short   R E L A X 

exactly...allen, the o-line, the fans, all need to relax.  the cincy game was just such an off showing that i think it threw everyone.  we just need to for the season to start, and see how people really play in live action.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

If Peterman can play like he has been consistently, he can be successful like Chad Pennington was throughout his career. They're both smart, hard workers, quick learners, can read defenses, have good timing, yet are held back by their size & arm strength. Chad was still the best QB the Jets have had in decades, so if Peterman can perform even remotely similar, we may all be pleasantly surprised while Allen grows into the QB we want him to be :)

Good post all around.

27 minutes ago, _Underscore_ said:

Yours too, welcome to the board.

As for the OL, the first few games will allow us to see if the line gels or becomes jello. Even with limited game experience, opposing defenses wont attempt to blitz the QB on every down as they will for JA. Start Peterman, limit what is asked of him and keep him away from having to throw outs. Defense is another concern as they will have to bear the load of keeping us in the game while this entire OL and QB situation shakes out. 

Come on! To all of those saying or implying that the only reason Allen did not look good was because of the team around him..

Watch again--he looked like a rookie quarterback,  and while the bad play around him was part, his bad play was part of the reason the team looked so bad.

Shoot, Josh Allen may never be a high caliber starting quarterback, although he very well may.

If Allen had the kind of camp and preseason games that Peterman has had, so many would be ecstatic, talking not only about the possibilities this year, but for the decade to come.  We should embrace the quality of play of Peterman, as it gives us hope both short and long term.  He looks like a pro bowl quarterback, at least in preseason--and that is what we have to go with now.  How many times in the last few years have we seen the unexpected quarterback become the unexpected star quarterback?

Why not Peterman?

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This is just people trying to be right.

Week One of Preseason it was McCarron's job because he the steady veteran. He could execute the offense. And the Coaches agreed with that in their actions. McCarron got first team reps until he was injured. Peterman had not stood out in Training Camp, but he put up a high completion percentage in the Carolina game. Allen played to his Scouting Report, some flashes, some inaccurate throws.  

Week Two of Preseason, McCarron stunk up the joint (under heavy pressure) and Allen came in and "looked good". So then the narrative shifted to well we might as well start Allen and get the show on the road. Peterman got third string snaps, nobody was pushing for him. 

Week Three of Preseason, Allen looks terrible (under heavy pressure) and Peterman again moves the offense against the subs, and so now the narrative according to Bills fans is Peterman gives us the best chance to win. 

I think this is Bills fans reacting week to week. Swerving all over the road. Now we see threads that say Peterman was the plan the entire time. No he wasn't. Coaches gave Allen the first crack at first teams reps this week. He has outlasted McCarron (injured) and has the last best performance in a preseason game over Allen and so now Bills fans rush to Peterman is the answer. 

We don't want to "ruin" Allen. 

Peterman has played <2  real games and has 6 interceptions (5 in LA and immediately in the Jacksonville game).  

So my hunch is Peterman gets the start, like most fans want, and when this thing becomes a pop-gun offense after 3 weeks, the calls will start coming for Allen. Like sitting for 3 weeks was the ultimate learning difference. 

Great post. 

This was McCarron's job since March.  The injury may have put Peterman to start the year, but McCarron will take over pretty quick.

Allen is so far away.  It will be interesting to see if even next year he is ready.  A lot of maturing needs to happen with Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Allen had a bad game on Sunday.  The O-Line was horrendous at times, but 2-3 of those sacks wouldn't have been issues if he got the ball out faster.   Problem is you dont have the coaches tape, so I have no clue if the routes were open on those plays.  The entire offense was bad, but it doesn't remove the blame from Allen.   If thats McCarron, Tyrod, or even Peterman in the same scenario we let them share the blame.  Allen didnt play well. 

I have never been a big "sit and learn" fan, I dont know what sitting on your butt trying to look through the eyes of someone else really does for someone.   Yes you can see what they did in certain scenarios, but unless you're out there how can you really know.  

If Allen isn't ready to start, is he all the sudden ready if someone goes down?   Does he learn a thing being the number 3?  And if he is the number 2 why pay McCarron 5 million dollars this year to be your emergency QB?

I have faith in McDermott, but I really hope he has a plan here.  You cant spend the year going back and forth between Quarterbacks.  Once Allen is in, he needs to stay in until its obvious he is or isnt the answer.  Until then they need to draft a quarterback in some mid round every year until they know they have someone who is ready.  If not they will be out of a job quickly. 

The review of the plays showed only one was his fault, possibly two, but the review did not show if any receivers were open. Many plays he had under 2 Seconds before contact . The longest play he had, he hit butter fingers Benjamin in the hands and he dropped it. So that’s pretty much a false narrative. The play calling was atrocious for the pressure, but maybe they don’t want to start him so they let him suffer and make it look like he’s not ready. If they really wanted to see what he could do they would have implemented plays that slowed down or avoided the pressure.

2 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

This was McCarron's job since March.  The injury may have put Peterman to start the year, but McCarron will take over pretty quick.

Allen is so far away.  It will be interesting to see if even next year he is ready.  A lot of maturing needs to happen with Allen.

Very poor assessment. Lazy at best...

2 minutes ago, Fred Clause said:

The review of the plays showed only one was his fault, possibly two, but the review did not show if any receivers were open. Many plays he had under 2 Seconds before contact . The longest play he had, he hit butter fingers Benjamin in the hands and he dropped it. So that’s pretty much a false narrative. The play calling was atrocious for the pressure, but maybe they don’t want to start him so they let him suffer and make it look like he’s not ready. If they really wanted to see what he could do they would have implemented plays that slowed down or avoided the pressure.

Very poor assessment. Lazy at best...

Not poor at all.  Open your eyes.  This isn't some hidden crap.

12 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Fans are going to get really sick of dumping off for 4 yards on 3rd-9 with McCarron. 

And Peterman could self destruct at any time with interceptions. He's thrown 6 in less than 2 full games of action. 

Do fans really have faith that once the real games start Peterman will be good enough in 2018 to keep Allen on the bench because he has played well in 3 preseason games? Maybe, but if this team is 2-5 or 3-8 then calls for Allen are going to be loud. 

Allen is not going to sit for 2 years. Not with the investment it took to get him (Cordy Glenn, #12, #53 and #56). 

8 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Not poor at all.  Open your eyes.  This isn't some hidden crap.

Open your mind, if you think Peterman would have done any better, we saw what happened to AJ. Only one of his throws came from a clean pocket, he rarely had more than 1.5 Seconds before the pressure was in his face, had contact in under 1.3 Seconds on one play. Tell me again how you were able to judge a performance under those conditions. Yes lazy and pathetic assessment , worthless, baseless crap.... 

I think Allen's more ready to start than this offensive line is.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

And Peterman could self destruct at any time with interceptions. He's thrown 6 in less than 2 full games of action. 

He could average out to 50-60 over the course of a season.

That would almost be worth watching.  :lol:

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This.  The OL was terrible but Allen was, as one lineman put it, "shook" from the jump.  Understandably so - but it won't help him to start right away, especially given the brutal schedule.  He'll take a beating and they'll be losing games.  Better for him to sit and get ready to come in and help them finish the season strong, which will build more confidence heading into 2019.  Sorry, that's just the reality of it.

he looked really nervous in the tunnel before the game.

15 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Fans are going to get really sick of dumping off for 4 yards on 3rd-9 with McCarron. 

Do fans really have faith that once the real games start Peterman will be good enough in 2018 to keep Allen on the bench because he has played well in 3 preseason games? Maybe, but if this team is 2-5 or 3-8 then calls for Allen are going to be loud. 

Allen is not going to sit for 2 years. Not with the investment it took to get him (Cordy Glenn, #12, #53 and #56). 

Allen is not good right now.  He looks completely lost out there.  He does nothing presnap and is a one read trick pony.  Tons of panic in his game.

I have way more confidence in McCarron or Peterman than I do Allen.

17 minutes ago, Fred Clause said:

Open your mind, if you think Peterman would have done any better, we saw what happened to AJ. Only one of his throws came from a clean pocket, he rarely had more than 1.5 Seconds before the pressure was in his face, had contact in under 1.3 Seconds on one play. Tell me again how you were able to judge a performance under those conditions. Yes lazy and pathetic assessment , worthless, baseless crap.... 

Peterman gets the ball out quick and throws with anticipation.

Much like we seen teams to do us when we had a great pass rush, the ball gets out quick and eliminates our good pass rush.

We need to stop acting like the sacks were all on the o line. 

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That's laughable that Allen took the blame for the O line and Marshall Newhouse goes out and throw him under the bus  Anybody was shook it was the center of the O line where they got walked right back repeatedly

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Allen isn't ready. Peterman nearly threw a pick 6 for the second game in a row when trying to make a throw to the outside, AJ is banged up and the offensive line stinks when asked to pass block. 

my advice to Coach Daboll if Nasty Nate does indeed get in in a real game, remove ALL sideline passes from the play book.

50 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I'm not convinced AJ won't be starting vs Ravens despite being ostracized on TBD. While TBDers give up on a guy due to injury, most coaches do not. Coach McDermott does not.  He realizes injuries are part of the game and happen to everyone.  "When AJ comes back, we'll pick up where we left off."

39 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

How exactly do you know this?

A 7.2 career ypa in real games would seem to indicAte otherwise.

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

Honest question - what have you seen this pre-season to convince you that AJM is the best option ?

Unless the Bills are drafting 1 overall, I suspect the Bills going OT in the 1st round and OG/C in the 2nd.

If the Bills are drafting 1 overall, with the needs of our team it's hard to not go BPA and that's most likely Ed Oliver DT from Houston, but If a QB emerges I'd deal the 1st overall pick and acquire more picks in 2019 and the future, because we need to overhaul our OL immediately.