Ian Rapoport: "Josh Allen is not quite ready" to start

HappyDays

47 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Because your critique causes that response......

You think that the rest of of cannot see there are weaknesses on the team?  Its not some great revelation.

A big weakness is Quarterback as well. It's literally all but Shady and Clay that's ever proven to be competent on this offense lol

There's not a QB in the league who would have done well yesterday.

Two costly drops.

A run for (what appeared to be) a first down that, inexplicably, wasn't challenged.

Penalties (almost exclusively Miller) that put them in unfavorable situations.

Questionable, at best, play calling.

Judging Josh Allen's level of readiness based on yesterday's game is just plain silly.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think we have close to a consensus here, folks.  I do agree with John from Riverside in that if the line gave just a little better protection, Josh Allen probably would be OK.  I think, however, in view of the line's deficiencies, Nate Peterman's quick decision making is an important factor.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Two costly drops.

A run for (what appeared to be) a first down that, inexplicably, wasn't challenged.

Judging Josh Allen's level of readiness based on yesterday's game is just plain silly.

The offensive line was the part that wasn't ready, and that's concerning no matter who is the starting QB week 1.  None of the QBs will be successful if this isn't fixed in just under two weeks.

Not concerned about the play calling in a glorified scrimmage.  The staff is most likely trying to get a read on how the QB does in various play calls, even if it doesn't make sense at the particular time.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Two costly drops.

I agree with this. He obviously has the talent and the level headedness to be a great QB. But, all QBs need at least some time in the pocket to make good decisions 1 to 1.5 seconds to a kid that's learning the game and speed of the NFL isn't going to go down well.

On a positive note he took the sack and didn't throw it at a defender like in the first game so he's learning some things.

• Like (+1) 1

The "team around him" argument is only half true.

Allen admitted himself that he struggled.

He wasn't able to run the offense efficiently, which is something we needed to see in order to anoint him the starter.

I remember saying these same words about EJ. He had trouble running the offense efficiently, leading to stupid penalties and missed assignments. But, I think that was still an issue in his 2nd and 3rd year.

This isn't a knock on Allen at this point. He's a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The "team around him" argument is only half true.

Allen admitted himself that he struggled.

He wasn't able to run the offense efficiently, which is something we needed to see in order to anoint him the starter.

I remember saying these same words about EJ. He had trouble running the offense efficiently, leading to stupid penalties and missed assignments. But, I think that was still an issue in his 2nd and 3rd year.

This isn't a knock on Allen at this point. He's a rookie.

he's gotta own part of it. 20% 30%. If he'd have hit the 2nd and 13 pass to Clay, it could have been a different half for example.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I never gamble but damn, I knew I should have laid some $$ on peterman when the betting odds were +820... lol. 

Seriously though, I didn’t think Allen looked quite ready yet either. Although he handled himself very well under the circumstances. 

But I have to wonder what the motive was for the constant rotation on the offensive line. We didn’t really see that in the other preseason games, not like yesterday anyway... 

The offensive line was not the same for 3 straight series the entire time Allen was in the game. They had Groy playing 3 different positions, all of which require different footwork. They rotated guys in an out like crazy with Allen in the game and IMO it put the line in a bad position to have success against Cincy’s defensive front. Redmond talked about it after the game - how hard it is to play well under those circumstances. 

And McDermott said it was planned before the game, so it wasn’t due to poor play.

They also seemed to call a very basic offense that didn’t do Allen many favors, either (but it was preseason, so that is not unusual at all). 

It it just didn’t seem like they put Allen in the best position to succeed, IMO. 

McD addressed that in his P/C, saying they were deliberately rotating guys to see how various players played in different positions, b/c that is a reality once the real season starts and starters get injured.  People need to shuffle around and fill in, so he was trying to see how well each player played at differing positions.

At least that is what he said.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Two costly drops.

I don't think anyone is judging Allen's readiness based on yesterday's game alone though... The coaches aren't that stupid, and if they are, it doesn't bode well for Allen ever panning out. If they're dumb enough to judge a QB on one single preseason game, how can they be smart enough to draft the right QB in the first place?

Allen's readiness is based on his entire body of work, from before he came into the league up through camp & preseason. 

Through 3 games, he's completed 24/44 passes for 210 yards (54.5% Completions), Avg. 4.7 yards, with 2 TD's & 0 INT's. Completion percentage is his norm, while other numbers are a bit lower than you'd hope but he's raw & underdeveloped. The O-line is awful, even if people wanted to pretend it wasn't the entire offseason, so yes, it will be difficult for anyone to truly excel behind them.

However, people always say "no QB could play well behind that O-line!" every time we get a new QB & they fail to produce. While they won't play as well as they could, it's silly to say nobody could have done well. Though they improved, it's not like the Browns & Bengals have top of the league defenses... When QB's like JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Edwards, EJ Manuel, Tyrod Taylor, etc. got smashed around, their diehard supporters always blamed the O-line or OC rather than admit those QB's had a role in the problem.

It's not Allen's fault he's not ready, again, everyone knew he was a risk & a project at the position. Expecting him to make some astronomical leap in his first couple months on an NFL roster is ridiculous. The guy wasn't considered anywhere close to "pro ready" like Rosen or Darnold, and he's never played with or against top level talent on a consistent basis. The guy needs time! And that's ok! Why people are so hellbent on rushing out & destroying the shiny new toy is beyond me. This is a true rebuilding year. Let Peterman or McCarron take the beatings & hope they perform admirably.

If Peterman can play like he has been consistently, he can be successful like Chad Pennington was throughout his career. They're both smart, hard workers, quick learners, can read defenses, have good timing, yet are held back by their size & arm strength. Chad was still the best QB the Jets have had in decades, so if Peterman can perform even remotely similar, we may all be pleasantly surprised while Allen grows into the QB we want him to be :)

• Like (+1) 3

Could all the "not quite ready" comments have anything to do with the fact that Peterman and McCarron got the VAST majority of 1st team reps vs 1st team "D" ALL preseason in OTAs, minicamp and practice and that by design? I wonder why with hundreds of more 1st team reps against our 1st team they might "appear" to be more ready for the 1st team "speed" of the game? Play 2 guys with the Varsity and play the franchise QB with the JVs all preseason and in the first game against the opposing Varsity your brilliant analysis is that he is "not quite ready" to play varsity. Such deep analytical thought. lol....

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

he's gotta own part of it. 20% 30%. If he'd have hit the 2nd and 13 pass to Clay, it could have been a different half for example.

I remember seeing another one where he had the curl route open and didn't pull the trigger. He would hit his dropback and just hesitate. Like he didn't trust what he was seeing.

After the first few series, it was obvious that protection was not going to hold up. At that point, I was hoping to see him adjust: either get the ball out quicker or transition his focus working the through the pocket. He needed to by himself more time, but he didn't find a way to do that. 

It's a tough thing for a rookie, for sure.

In a real game, I think Daboll would adjust playcalling. At least, I would hope so. Speaking of that (the preseason vs real season dilemma), part of me thinks that they're still confident that they would make the right adjustments for Josh to succeed in the real games.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Of course he did "own" part of it whether he really felt that way or not.Then again Clay probably would have dropped it since he couldn't even be relied upon to catch the easiest of passes on the first play of the game. The only difference between Clay running that first play and me running that play was ah ah ah.....  no difference whatsoever.... lol and he is  getting payed millions to make that simple play.

46 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

Of course he did "own" part of it whether he really felt that way or not.Then again Clay probably would have dropped it since he couldn't even be relied upon to catch the easiest of passes on the first play of the game. The only difference between Clay running that first play and me running that play was ah ah ah.....  no difference whatsoever.... lol and he is  getting payed millions to make that simple play.

Let's hope not.

Clay does drop lot of passes. Last year, half of Hotrod's interceptions bounced off of Clay's hands including one in the EZ.

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

McD addressed that in his P/C, saying they were deliberately rotating guys to see how various players played in different positions, b/c that is a reality once the real season starts and starters get injured.  People need to shuffle around and fill in, so he was trying to see how well each player played at differing positions.

At least that is what he said.

And seeing if his QB of the future could handle that adversity. That wasn't said by him but by me. Huge difference between him and Nate in this game compared to the 5 int half...He didnt throw on the sack.

Ian Rapoport: 'Josh Allen is not quite ready' to start for #Bills https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/27/ian-rapoport-josh-allen-nathan-peterman-buffalo-bills/ 

Greg Cosell said about as much on Monday show with Murph. Did not put all blame on OL.

I thought Allen was more spooked by OL play that messed with his game unable to adjust.  At least it did not ruin his confidence , that's the important thing at this point .