Ian Rapoport: "Josh Allen is not quite ready" to start

HappyDays

While the coach has yet to make up his mind, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport has. Rookie quarterback Josh Allen didn’t get much help from his offensive line, but Rap Sheet gave the edge to second-year pro Nathan Peterman, who stepped in and looked better on Sunday, albeit playing against the Bengals’ second-team defense.

That, combined with a recent visit to Orchard Park, has Rapoport convinced.

“I was actually in Buffalo just a couple of days ago and met with several members of the Bills’ brass,” Rapoport said on Good Morning Football on Monday. “Even before this game, this is not a job that was going to be handed to Josh Allen.”

“At first glance, it was pretty clear, at this moment, that Josh Allen is not quite ready, at least yesterday he wasn’t,” Rapoport added. “It was made pretty specifically clear to me that Nathan Peterman was still very much in (the QB competition).”

Rapoport continued and mentioned how the Bills would be “fine” with naming Peterman their starter.

• Like (+1) 1

No, yesterday showed that no QB would look good if they had only 1.5 seconds to throw.

i agree that Allen doesn’t need to be force fed here, but Allen handled himself pretty well facing that onslaught yesterday.

Even if Peterman starts the season, Allen’s going to be seeing action rather quickly because Peterman is going to get killed behind this OL.......... and then Allen will get killed......... then McCarron will get killed when he becomes healthy enough to get injured again. 

Who’s gonna be the fourth QB to get hurt?

• Like (+1) 5

I never gamble but damn, I knew I should have laid some $$ on peterman when the betting odds were +820... lol. 

Seriously though, I didn’t think Allen looked quite ready yet either. Although he handled himself very well under the circumstances. 

But I have to wonder what the motive was for the constant rotation on the offensive line. We didn’t really see that in the other preseason games, not like yesterday anyway... 

The offensive line was not the same for 3 straight series the entire time Allen was in the game. They had Groy playing 3 different positions, all of which require different footwork. They rotated guys in an out like crazy with Allen in the game and IMO it put the line in a bad position to have success against Cincy’s defensive front. Redmond talked about it after the game - how hard it is to play well under those circumstances. 

And McDermott said it was planned before the game, so it wasn’t due to poor play.

They also seemed to call a very basic offense that didn’t do Allen many favors, either (but it was preseason, so that is not unusual at all). 

It it just didn’t seem like they put Allen in the best position to succeed, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2

I mean this has been pretty obvious since the day he was drafted. It was always well known he was raw & a project QB, and the coaches knew this. It seems only the fans let themselves get too carried away with the idea, not the coaches.

He was considered the "riskiest" QB in the draft for a reason, so to expect him to come out & overcome every issue he's ever had & definitely cruise away with the QB competition was putting unnecessary pressure on the guy. Let him learn, gain experience mentally & physically in practice, and develop & mature alongside his teammates in this system. 

We already broke the drought. Time to kick rebuilding into full gear for once and build a team that can last for a decade or more.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:unsure:

And people had the nerve to say the offensive line wasn't that big an issue... 

Coincidentally, I'm watching The Office right now :)

Edited by BigDingus