Sean McDermott is the most annoying kind of person.

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Apart from all the funny remarks, with which I agree, let me add something at least a tad serious:

We've been watching and listening to McDermott for a year and a half, and we read a lot about him when he came.   One thing we read and we've now seen is that this guy is WAY into the details.  There isn't a detail he hasn't thought of. 

If he's not announcing his starter, it's because he has a reason.   He isn't doing it to build suspense, to tease us, or to keep us listening.   He has a reason.   Maybe it's the Ravens.  Maybe he hasn't made up his mind yet.   Maybe he likes his QBs not knowing.   Maybe, as someone said, there's no reason to do it now, so he's waiting.   

He's doing what he's doing because it's all part of his process, and I'm fine with letting this coach, any coach, run with his process.  

Yeah, he's way into the details, but was playing for a tie in a game last year that, had we tied, would have eliminated us from the playoffs.  That detail got overlooked I guess. 

He operates the way he does b/c that is what football coaches do and how they talk.  He just follows the rules.

He is not smart enough to know what he can say or not say without disadvantaging the team, so he says nothing.

I'm not sure why people continue to listen to his PCs and interviews.  

He'll never tell you anything other than a canned response.

3 minutes ago, GoodHands15 said:

I think he should tell us the first 15 scripted plays of each game so we all know what we’re to be on the look for.

Huge difference between truly disadvantaging the team and what these guys think might do so, or might give another team an advantage.

It is all just part of the culture of the NFL and NFL coaching.  They are all cookie cutter people, except for the 1 or 2 really good ones.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Fadingpain said:

Yeah, he's way into the details, but was playing for a tie in a game last year that, had we tied, would have eliminated us from the playoffs.  That detail got overlooked I guess. 

He operates the way he does b/c that is what football coaches do and how they talk.  He just follows the rules.

He is not smart enough to know what he can say or not say without disadvantaging the team, so he says nothing.

Bitter beer face

• Haha (+1) 1

The NFL is a business- keeping things close to the vest gains respect from the players and doesnt allow other teams to have info they dont need.

As for the starter on Sunday- maybe he doesnt know yet. Last we all heard it is still an open competition. Let them battle it put until the bitter end forcing them to put in the hard work required to succeed. Also, competition creates pressure- who can handle it best? 

Edited by billsfan_34

10 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Did I say he's right all the time?   No.   No one is right all the time.  

I don't remember the tie he played for, but I'm sure he had his reasons.   You might not agree with them, and I might not agree with them, but he had his reasons.   

At least he's smart enough to know that he isn't smart enough to know what to say, so he keeps his mouth shut.   Compare with Rex, who literally was too stupid to know what to say and kept talking anyway.   In that sense, McD is much smarter than Rex.  

I agree, his press conferences and interviews are generally useless.  Every once in a while there's a nugget worth hearing, but most of the time he's talking to avoid saying anything.   

"He'll never tell you anything other than a canned response."  Never say never.   If McD is a big success as a coach, wins a couple of Super Bowls, is five years older and has been through hundreds of press conferences, I think you'll find he will open up more.   

Here's what I concluded when I heard his press conferences:   I thought he was a guy who had studied every detail of being a head coach before he ever got the job.   His study told him he had to learn how to do press conferences.   He knew that making mistakes in press conferences gets in the way of job performance.  So he learned to give answers with no content, because he'd seen other coaches do it.  He knew he could get away with it.   By doing that he could stay focused on his job.   He also knew that over time he'd learn more about how to talk in that situation, and as he learned more, he'd say more.   

I think that's a very smart, very mature way to approach that situation.   I don't like it, because I want him to tell me more, but it's a smart thing to do.   

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

McDermott is the type of person who withholds information for the sake of withholding information. Ever dealt with smug bosses like this who just enjoy keeping people in suspense? So annoying.

What good reason is there for not revealing Sunday's starter now?

4cPt7gc.gif

In a way what you find annoying is the NFL's requirement that coaches show up to these worthless press junkets, not the coaches themselves.  

Imagine being required to give a briefing to the newspaper after every Monday staff meeting or family dinner.  

3 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

McDermott is the type of person who withholds information for the sake of withholding information. Ever dealt with smug bosses like this who just enjoy keeping people in suspense? So annoying.

Any chance it’s just not decided yet?

Also I think he’s of the mindset that you have to earn that right EVERYDAY in practice. 

What does announcing anything do to help the Bills? 

• Like (+1) 1

You know, I do have a response for this thread, but I'm choosing to withhold that information... simply because I can... or I want to. You'll never know!

Jeez Louise, folks will find anything to complain about. I don't care that his press conferences are very superficial. Most good coaches keep everything close to the vest. You want ol' boisterous Rex back? Making idiotic claims and talking himself up like he's the best coach in the history of ever. Maybe we can get Marrone to come back in here and roll his eyes and whine about every question thrown at him. How's about Dicky "It's tough to win games in this league" Jauron?

I will say though, I kinda liked Gailey at the podium. "Footbawl is a tough game fer tough people!"

• Like (+1) 1

I totally agree.  I always read the last chapter of a book first and I wish movie trailers would reveal the ending.  Makes me feel better knowing the outcome well in advance...why put us through all this!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Bunch of wimps... suck it up and give me 50. Played hockey saturday, worked out sunday, finishing up a double... ps, Im 54... and my Dad is 84 and still working... take 800mg of motrin... wait 15 min and get motivated.... mooove iiit!

817-english-patient.png

Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum!

Edited by 4_kidd_4
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

bill-belichick-050917-getty-ftr_8idm5s4w

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, teef said:

the one thing i've learned as i've gotten older, is to not tell anyone, anything until they absolutely have to know, or you're 100% certain.

This is good advice to the young'ns. I could have used it about 3 weeks ago. 

Because it's only Monday.

My God It’s unheard of? !!!

guess will find out who the week 1 starter is right after the kickoff !!! 

Edited by Putin

Why should anyone even care? We'll find out soon enough.

I actually do find McDermott incredibly annoying, but not for the reason that the OP stated.  I also think it's possible to respect their last season and the future of the team while simultaneously thinking our head coach is a bit of a goober.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Ever think that they're not sure yet?  It's Monday and it's the second practice since McCarron got injured.  Maybe after a couple more days of watching Peterman and Allen rotate with the 1's they'll know better.