Allen should start with #1's

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not at all. He showed a dozen great qualities and he showed he's a rookie in his first game. Some little things he did were terrific. 

Outside of the td what did he do good besides scramble? He missed open wrs. He over threw a couple. Looked down field when he had the check down. What are those dozen good things? 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Outside of the td what did he do good besides scramble? He missed open wrs. He over threw a couple. Looked down field when he had the check down. 

Hahahaha! After years of captain check downs you want more....hilarious

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Magnetar said:

That's doesn't make sense.  AJM and NP are battling for the start, they need to give AJM the start next week, and after that game decide who their regular season starter is.  Allen is not starting material, why give him time with the 1's?  Can't waste #1 reps like that in a QB battle.

I think they drafted him with the idea that he is starting material.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Easy Fanboy I watched everything. He was off on a lot of passes, but it's his first game. Just shows he needs time to develop. He made some really good throws as well.

Ooof.

What did you watch with because it wasn’t your eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Outside of the td what did he do good besides scramble? He missed open wrs. He over threw a couple. Looked down field when he had the check down. What are those dozen good things? 

If Foster keeps running for a half second more, it's a 60 yard touchdown and these takes are gone. 

2 hours ago, Fred Clause said:

I didn’t even want him drafted, but the criticism of his play with these sloppy third stringers is rediculous. If I’m a fan boy, you are a hater...

It is a good sign to see disagreement like this, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Two of the three bombs he threw to Foster were excellent passes and should have been long gainers, one of which was on third and 22 or so. He threw a couple darts over the middle. He changed his delivery on a couple passes to avoid the defenders in his face. The first series was third and four and he threw a nice out pass right on the money that was dropped. He looked around one time and instead of gunning the ball like he normally does, lofted one to a wide open guy (Croom?) for a long gain and first down. The scrambling should not be downplayed because whomever is the starter is going to face rushes like that. And it wasn't only scrambling. He showed speed running, and smarts running, and awareness of down and distance, and awareness of the clock. 

Even when it was fourth down and they had to call a TO with one second left on the play clock, he ran off the field pointing to his helmet as if he didn't get the play and it wasn't his fault, which was a savvy veteran move, and very good awareness for his first game. ;)

• Like (+1) 3

There was an easy catch that was dropped, 2 no option throw aways, a pass interference that was not called, and a long TD pass that many good WRs would have made.  The 2 miscommunications arnt too bad when its the 3rd unit in preseason.  

I think JA showed well throwing the ball, and his 30 yards of rushing was good too.  

1 minute ago, artmalibu said:

There was an easy catch that was dropped, 2 no option throw aways, a pass interference that was not called, and a long TD pass that many good WRs would have made.  The 2 miscommunications arnt too bad when its the 3rd unit in preseason.  

I think JA showed well throwing the ball, and his 30 yards of rushing was good too.  

Allen threw three balls deep to Foster. Allen's first play that was 55-60 yards in the air, hit him in stride but three yards out of bounds. Not a good pass. Too far OB. 

The second one looked like a great pass. Foster should have caught it. It was within a yard and Foster didn't run right to it or track it well. A decent NFL WR catches that ball in stride. It was a terrific pass. 

The third one looked three yards overthrown. If you watched the replay, Foster literally stopped running in the middle of the play, realized it was coming to him and then started running again. That easily could have and should have been a 50 yard completion. Allen threw a bunch of great passes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Foster makes that catch on 3rd and 22 for 6 the game looks totally different.  Next week I want to see Corey Coleman with Allen.  

The kid mustve lost the Ball, because all he had to do was stretch out out a little for the it.

30 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I would like a decent quarterback. 9/19 with and against 3rd stringers isn't decent, It's bad. Why wouldn't you want more than that? What's hilarious is people think he looked good

You should try and never talk about football again. 

Edited by Domdab99

50 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

But Peterman has two glaring fatal flaws and he did zero in this game to alleviate the worry. He doesn't handle a strong rush well, and he doesn't get the ball downfield, and he doesn't have the arm strength.

Well that's three things first of all, and then you laid out even more. By the way, I agree with you. While Nate looked fine he also showed every reason we can't have him as our starter.

People, people, this is our first PRE SEASON game. Read NOTHING into it. That is all.

42 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Well for one thing opposite Tyrod for example, when there was a wide open receiver on the left downfield 15 or 20 yards not only did he see him, he threw the ball to him! And it was a completion!!! Imagine that.

4 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

The kid can sling for sure and moves very well in the pocket,  i like what saw tonight.  The guy is not afraid to let it fly and i believe should start the season as our starter.  His offensive line tonight were garbage and Robert Foster should be cut on Monday,  the guy cannot track the ball and gave up on plays. The ball just explodes out of his hand,  get him some receivers that can get open.

Is this post from 2021? It makes no sense in 2018.

Allen won’t be ruined by starting, he’s smart enough to realize he’s not going to step in his rookie year and be Aaron Rodgers.

Im also pretty sure he will simply get much better; much faster with 1st team reps and starting experience sooner rather than later.  Peterman had a good quarter, McCarron too, neither showed any elite potential the way Allen did with his arm.

Allen will be the starter by week 4 at the latest; the other guys are still good backups imo.  

Besides, even if Allen does have some accuracy issues, he throws that ball so hard DBs aren’t gonna be able to haul those in... On a related note, I’m really worried about Coleman’s hands making it through 16 games with Allen under center.

Edited by ThunderGun

Grading Allen on a curve (which we all should; it’s his very first game) I’d give him a B+. Not ready to start, but looks much closer than I’d thought he’d be.

One thing I saw that stuck out: his footwork looked pretty bad in the 3rd quarter, and then seemed to markedly improve in the 4th. I chalk that up to nerves I guess.

i did not see him “constantly under immediate pressure” as others have suggested. Looks like that popular excuse from college is going to carry over into his pro years.

he probably should have went 12/19 (63%, which is good enough) Foster did him no favors, but Lee bailed him out on a pass that should not have been thrown.

all in all, pretty good.

Edited by JoPar_v2

Folks are overlooking all the stuff Allen did wrong or poorly and focusing on the odd highlight type throw or run that he admittedly did make on occasion.

That's not good enough in the NFL long term though.  

For now, it is, b/c we have no expectations, it's the pre-season, and Allen is a rookie getting his first playing time in.

Allen will need to continually eliminate physical and mental errors as well as play on a consistently high level if he is going to develop into the player the Bills hoped he would be.

The fact that he can make a great throw on occasion is not the measure of success.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

What I see is inconsistency, which is going to be his personal demon throughout his career.

The entire issue with him is whether or not he can play on a high level, consistently.  We now he can do it here and there.

He was also displaying a tendency to bail on the pocket and run which I didn't like, though I won't draw too many conclusions from it tonight b/c he was getting murdered back there.

I totally agree he should get time with the #1s.  I don't see the point in trying to evaluating him behind the 3rd string line at all!

Youre seeing what you think you should be seeing.

7 hours ago, rodneykm said:

You need to go talk to Bret Favre.

Right, because he's the model QB, so many like him have has success.

7 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

I think they drafted him with the idea that he is starting material.

Right, they think/thought he is, most others do/did not think that. That's the problem, the blinders they might be wearing. 

2 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Grading Allen on a curve (which we all should; it’s his very first game) I’d give him a B+. Not ready to start, but looks much closer than I’d thought he’d be.

One thing I saw that stuck out: his footwork looked pretty bad in the 3rd quarter, and then seemed to markedly improve in the 4th. I chalk that up to nerves I guess.

i did not see him “constantly under immediate pressure” as others have suggested. Looks like that popular excuse from college is going to carry over into his pro years.

he probably should have went 12/19 (63%, which is good enough) Foster did him no favors, but Lee bailed him out on a pass that should not have been thrown.

all in all, pretty good.

This is fair.  He's raw as hell, but looked more than just an arm.  

He wants to make plays, it almost looked like he knew he was in a competition and his competitors put in a decent lap.  This will have it's downsides as he almost pulled a Matt Simms last night.

All in all, pretty much what I expected.  

Side note, if Peterman and AJM play decent again next week, are they going to carry all three into the regular season? 

I disagree that the Lee throw shouldn’t have been made.  He can make it.  He made it.  It was accurate and only where Lee could catch it.  

I didnt think the OL was terrible but he should’ve had a couple more completions and, perhaps, another TD.   That would be very similar to Baker’s outing, which is being lauded as the most incredible debut ever by some.  

Thing is, Baker was out there with two of his top targets in Callaway and Njoku.   Allen had Ray-Ray, Foster, Croom and Lee.  

3 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Lee bailed him out on a pass that should not have been thrown.

I don't know if that ball should have been thrown but Lee didn't bail him out. It was a perfect pass put where only his TE could get it. It couldn't have been thrown better. Now everything he did on that pass is the opposite of what they teach you but his arm is so strong he can get away with it.

I can’t believe there is any negative feedback on Allen. I was a doubter pre-draft, but he already blew away anything we saw from EJ Manuel. The biggest thing that impressed me was his vision and aggressive decision making. When he starts, the days where we watch our QBs refuse to throw past the first down marker will be gone. He understands when to take chances. He had a couple rookie mistakes, but will probably be ready to start by midseason. This kid will really challenge defenses. Teams won’t be able to squat on the line of scrimmage regardless of our receivers.

Edited by Troll Toll
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Magnetar said:

That's the thing, he may never be ready for the NFL due to inaccuracy.  I mean, everyone knew that before the draft...

I think tonight he showed exactly what he is going to be.  Some wow plays, but mostly too inconsistent.  I know it's only one pre-season game, but if some fans are already anointing him as going to be great.

I know it's only one preseason game, but some are already anointing him as a failure despite making some good plays last night...

Admit it, you're one of those who'd rather be able to come on a message board and say you were right vs. actually root for the team to succeed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen looked like he had one professional live action game under his belt. Allen is a gunslinger and a playmaker in the making. He will be fine. 

As an aside, why do people insist on adding an apostrophe + s to most words that ends in an “s” though that word possesses/owns nothing in the sentence? 

“Allen should start with the 1’s.”  

The one’s what? Finish the sentence. You used an apostrophe + s so there has to be something else there. Does that one own a car or a house or some Vaseline intensive care? 

What does that mean? What the !@#$ does the “1” own in this instance? I get it ... “grammar shmammar,” right? But what is so hard about dropping the misplaced apostrophe and making the sentence actually make sense?

Why not, simply: “Allen should start with the 1s.”

Boom. Easy. Shows a mastery of really basic English and one less keystroke to boot. 

To me that’s too easy not to do. 

Sorry, along with improper usage of “than” and “then” it’s just a pet peeve. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Beach said:

You can see the potential and you can also see he is NOT ready yet.  

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

The kid is very GREEN

Bringing him along slowly is absolutely THE thing to do.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Folks are overlooking all the stuff Allen did wrong or poorly and focusing on the odd highlight type throw or run that he admittedly did make on occasion.

That's not good enough in the NFL long term though.  

For now, it is, b/c we have no expectations, it's the pre-season, and Allen is a rookie getting his first playing time in.

Allen will need to continually eliminate physical and mental errors as well as play on a consistently high level if he is going to develop into the player the Bills hoped he would be.

The fact that he can make a great throw on occasion is not the measure of success.

I am praying for more than JP Losman 2.0  Let the kid learn slowly!

11 hours ago, Beach said:

You can see the potential and you can also see he is NOT ready yet.  

This is pretty much my opinion  too.  I don't know that I need to see him with the firsts.  I would like to see him with better line play in front of him.  I did see some things I lliked.  He threw some short passes on target with touch.  He doesn't always feel the need to fire the ball as if out of a canon.  He also showed his ability to sling it while off balance, but we knew he could do that.  He didn't seem to panic despite being under a lot of pressure.  But, he was far from perfect.

31 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

Allen looked like he had one professional live action game under his belt. Allen is a gunslinger and a playmaker in the making. He will be fine. 

As an aside, why do people insist on adding an apostrophe + s to most words that ends in an “s” though that word possesses/owns nothing in the sentence? 

“Allen should start with the 1’s.”  

The one’s what? Finish the sentence. You used an apostrophe + s so there has to be something else there. Does that one own a car or a house or some Vaseline intensive care? 

What does that mean? What the !@#$ does the “1” own in this instance? I get it ... “grammar shmammar,” right? But what is so hard about dropping the misplaced apostrophe and making the sentence actually make sense?

Why not, simply: “Allen should start with the 1s.”

Boom. Easy. Shows a mastery of really basic English and one less keystroke to boot. 

To me that’s too easy not to do. 

Sorry, along with improper usage of “than” and “then” it’s just a pet peeve. 

What did you think about the offensive line?

59 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know if that ball should have been thrown but Lee didn't bail him out. It was a perfect pass put where only his TE could get it. It couldn't have been thrown better. Now everything he did on that pass is the opposite of what they teach you but his arm is so strong he can get away with it.

Whipping it off his back foot going backwards and that ball gets picked by starting defenses. Not a good throw or decision. Allen was lucky Lee was defended by someone a foot shorter than him.

11 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Inconsistent? Yes. Some rookie mistakes? Yes. He will likelu throw a few INT with too much youthful enthusiasm and desire to make every play? Yes. Inaccurate?  Come on now. I saw none of that supposed dismal accuracy of his. Immense potential. He is exciting as hell! He's like the opposite of Tyrod. You can sense he'll throw twice as much INTs as TT and make some dumb mistakes that make you cringe... but also double the TDs and some WOW plays in there! Opposing defenses will have nightmares as they have to cover deep on every play. His stretching of the filed might even open Shady for some big runs.

I agree, although Taylor epitomized McDermotts’ ‘Process’ with ball control/very few T/O’s and Sean will not stand for putting his Defense in precarious situations. Allen’s style would likely have him starting for KC/GB/Philly/NO (present starters notwithstanding), but not in Sean’s big picture. 

For better or worse, he’ll ride the pine here until he learns what NOT TO THROW. jmo.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

all in all, pretty good.

B+ is very generous. he gets a solid C. Missed quite a few throws, but made up for it with some plays with his legs. Arm strength is there but still needs work on the deep connection with the WR's.