Allen should start with #1's

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I hated the pick and he won me over since. I think he should start now. A lot of fans I know and post here hated the pick when it happened feel the same way I do. 

I definitely didn't like the pick but I thought he looked the part last night. I also went and watched Baker Mayfield, you know what I saw? A lot of the same things Allen did. Mayfield made 2 really bad decisions and he had some bad ball placement on receivers that were wide open. He seemed to be throwing low. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I hated the pick and he won me over since. I think he should start now. A lot of fans I know and post here hated the pick when it happened feel the same way I do. 

I may be in the minority, but I love the pick now and still think he should sit a bit.  I just believe that he can learn a lot by sitting and watching for a bit before being thrown into a NFL game.  I just don't see a need to rush him and think there is more risk to putting him in right away than potential reward by letting him get game action right away.

I also feel ok with McCarron right now and could live with Peterman for a game or two.

On the flip side, as much as I like Peterman as a competitor, I think he just has too weak of an arm to be anything more than a backup/spot starter.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I did not like the pick but i'm coming along to your point of view. 

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm getting there. Still not 100% on him starting game 1 but I've come a long way from posting "Kill me" when we picked him over Rosen. He's developed quite a bit since minicamp practice 1. Credit to Daboll.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I loved it then and I love it now. I hope McD gives him the 1st team reps tonight and let’s him have a chance. Peterman and AJM did well last night but it would be a mistake to let their performance slow the rookie. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

What was suspect about his decision making? There were 2 miscommunications, who’s fault those were we have no idea, and a bad decisions on 4th down. The rest of the throws weren’t bad decisions at all.

Yup.

The only "bad" play I didn't like was his Matt Simms imitation.  But I'll chalk that up to him adjusting to the pro speed. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I'm getting there. Still not 100% on him starting game 1 but I've come a long way from posting "Kill me" when we picked him over Rosen. He's developed quite a bit since minicamp practice 1. Credit to Daboll.

Agreed. And a lot of it, at least for me, was seeing what kind of guy he was, and how he was handling stuff, and watching several more full games of his. I had seen him play a few games and if you watch casually you can come away not as impressed as some of the other guys. But if you watch close and concentrate on what he did well and bad and what he had to deal with you could see more of why the Bills and some people were so high on him. I had seen all of Rosen and Darnolds games and a ton of Mayfield and Rudolph and Jackson. 

Anyway, I really like him now and like him substantially more after last night. He did a lot of things well, big and small. 

26 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Proof. Post it.

Take a look at every throw and tell me which ones were bad decisions.

I can count one.

One.

I watched the game twice..and from what the tv view suggests,you are 100% correct.I wonder how many people drink heavily during the games or if they even watch.Some posters are so off....

34 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

What was suspect about his decision making? There were 2 miscommunications, who’s fault those were we have no idea, and a bad decisions on 4th down. The rest of the throws weren’t bad decisions at all.

Yup.

Diving head-first and then flinging the ball in an arc while being sacked just waiting for the other team to catch it were poor decisions.

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Diving head-first and then flinging the ball in an arc while being sacked just waiting for the other team to catch it were poor decisions.

So, in a full half of snaps, you count two at most incidences of "poor decisions" and your conclusion is that his decision making is faulty?

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I know it's only one preseason game, but some are already anointing him as a failure despite making some good plays last night...

Admit it, you're one of those who'd rather be able to come on a message board and say you were right vs. actually root for the team to succeed.

I'd rather the Bills pick the right players so they can win...

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

So, in a full half of snaps, you count two at most incidences of "poor decisions" and your conclusion is that his decision making is faulty?

You're taking what I said and pushing the implication a bit too far. I like Allen and I think he made rookie mistakes because he was excited to be in the game. I don't want some fluke injury to derail his progression. I don't want him starting because I think he 1- needs to work on accuracy and decision making 2- stands to be able to do both of these things in practice while remaining on the bench during the season 3- the 2 guys who are actually competing to start have very little game experience and need it. Does that mean I want them to coddle him? Yep, that's what I want. I want him wrapped in bubble wrap and I want everyone to tell him he's special and pat him on the head and buy him cookies. Then, I want him to come out next year and tear the division to pieces because we've suffered through enough terrible QB play these past 18 years. 

Edited by ndirish1978

Allen will get time with the 2s in game 4. I think as of right now, the Peterman/McCarron battle is definitely not over, and they're not going to withhold reps from either of those two guys just to see Allen who I believe they have no intention of playing this year anyways.

Would be smart to internally at least determine the starter after game 3, and then Flip flop Allen/Backup so Allen starts the first half and the other plays the 2nd half.

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

This is just people who hated the pick doubling down.

That's all it is.

Even the panic flail throw while he was being sacked was on a 4th down conversion attempt, so it was a turnover even if he did get sacked, so he was like 'lemme wing it'.

Agree, Allen is not ready to start.  But damn, he has tons of upside and potential.

I wouldn't mind seeing him with the 1's in the fourth preseason game just to see how he does... but he has no business starting the first game of the season based on his performance last night.

10 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Just cut 'em, so the whining will stop.... ?

That was an objective observation. I think your confused.

16 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Had Proehl or Reilly (whoever it was) not dropped that pass, and if Foster hadn’t stopped running on that long ball or slowed down to track the other long ball, suddenly Josh Allen is 12 for 19 with a 63.19 completion %. 

I know that’s not how it works. But his accuracy last night wasn’t nearly as bad as that 47% stat line makes it look. 

I agree that he has a ways to go yet before he’s ready to start. 

There were also two nice grabs on balls that could have be INC, so its a wash. If the system is pass first, and it looks like it is, he has to be at 60 % at least. Or else we will be giving the ball back far to quickly.

12 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

My observation is that Alan is clearly not ready to be the starter.   

So my stance that McDermott won’t rush him into the starting job stands strong.  

...agree bud......no need to rush the kid......McCarron & Peterman are both capable of keeping "the seat" warm IMO..........

15 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

My observation is that Alan is clearly not ready to be the starter.   

So my stance that McDermott won’t rush him into the starting job stands strong.  

Clearly, huh?

Tell us what makes your observation clear. In detail. With examples.

12 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Clearly, huh?

Tell us what makes your observation clear. In detail. With examples.

Oh here we go.   Lets think I’m anti Allen.   Far from it joe. 

Based on TBD analysts over the years 

45% completion ratio (9 of 20 was it) is not good.  

Some passes were not even close.  

3s you say?  Hasn’t he had the majority of time working with these guys?

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Based on TBD analysts over the years 

here's your problem.

Some passes were not even close.  

Again, details. To your trained eye, which of his passes "were not even close?" let me help you:

(9 of 20 was it) 

9/19. it would be helpful if you were factually correct.

Edited by joesixpack

15 hours ago, sullim4 said:

Agree, Allen is not ready to start.  But damn, he has tons of upside and potential.

I wouldn't mind seeing him with the 1's in the fourth preseason game just to see how he does... but he has no business starting the first game of the season based on his performance last night.

Unless McD does things way differently, you're only gonna see the 1's for about half a series in the fourth preseason game

14 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

here's your problem.

Again, details. To your trained eye, which of his passes "were not even close?" let me help you:

9/19. it would be helpful if you were factually correct.

Lol again.  

Yes, the TD pass was impressive 

again you are making a poor assumption of my assessment.  

Have patience joe have patience 

Oooh.  I was off by one pass.   Lets criticize a small error. 

9 /19 for 116 yards 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

9 /19 for 116 yards is factually correct.    I’m not sure what stats you are looking at. 

You said 9/20.

When working on percentages, it helps to have the number correct.

You made a factual statement "Some passes were not even close" and attributed it to his overblown accuracy "issues." So again, I ask, which passes were not even close?

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Overblown???  

Lols 

I fixed my error and what was I parentheses indicated an assumption. 

Yes, overblown. They're completely non-contextual and opinion-based.

Are you going to answer my question as to which of his passes were not even close? Or should I not bother wasting my time?

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Yes, overblown. They're completely non-contextual and opinion-based.

Are you going to answer my question as to which of his passes were not even close? Or should I not bother wasting my time?

Just having this discussion with you on this is wasting time.  

You are seeing what you want to see. 

Me I’m  taking a cautious approach 

what did Josh do on one pass that was 5 yards off?   He tapped his chest saying my bad.  

Or didn’t you see that? 

Regardless I’m done here. 

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Regardless I’m done here. 

I figured as much.

A baseless statement from someone, unable to be backed by fact. it's the MO of a good many around here. If ONE pass missed is enough for you to "clearly" determine he's not ready, then it's not me who's seeing what I want to see. It's you.

Edited by joesixpack
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I figured as much.

A baseless statement from someone, unable to be backed by fact. it's the MO of a good many around here. If ONE pass missed is enough for you to "clearly" determine he's not ready, then it's not me who's seeing what I want to see. It's you.

If I wanted to be an ass I’d have posted the disaster that was the 4th and goal play.  

But it I’m not.  Have a nice day.