Bills trade with Browns for Corey Coleman

I have several good friends who are Browns fans.  When I asked if this trade was something that I should be excited about, this is what one of them sent me:

They seemed to be more concerned with the lack of depth behind Jarvis given Norman's uncertain availability... and now two days after the trade they find out Calloway has a similarly uncertain availability.  They were bemoaning the blown pick more than they were the departure of the player.

4 minutes ago, transient said:

I have several good friends who are Browns fans.  When I asked if this trade was something that I should be excited about, this is what one of them sent me:

They seemed to be more concerned with the lack of depth behind Jarvis given Norman's uncertain availability... and now two days after the trade they find out Calloway has a similarly uncertain availability.  They were bemoaning the blown pick more than they were the departure of the player.

I'm hoping that Coleman becomes one of those Bills players who somehow resurrects their career in Buffalo. There is definitely some talent there,... but man, that was an egregious drop!

6 minutes ago, transient said:

You know i bet this did play into him getting cut. Which is such a Browns thing to do. His career is going to be about staying healthy, not can he catch the ball. 

I think they have KB13 penciled in as their #1. Beane said Coleman is gonna have to earn everything he gets here. His first-round status doesn't mean much, but I do fully expect him to make this team and hopefully be a contributor. I think his skill-set is a bit too limited for him to ever turn into a true #1 wideout, but I think Daboll can find some interesting things for him to do. They'll move him around a lot and they'll probably ask him to run his bread & butter routes while working with him throughout the season to help him become a more refined receiver.

33 minutes ago, WhickedWilliams said:

Corey Coleman has been injured and lacked a quarterback for the years in Cleveland. Can he be better than Sammy Watkins? When Corey shatters expectations and stays healthy, makes everything calm and comfortable while trusting the process in regards to personel decisions. I love this pickup, great value. Does anyone agree with me that Corey will end up being #1, Benji #2, zay will slowly get his train back on the rails this year as the #3. Alright, now let me have it! ?

6BF90254-E83A-4013-93BC-EA38551EC2F9.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'm hoping that Coleman becomes one of those Bills players who somehow resurrects their career in Buffalo. There is definitely some talent there,... but man, that was an egregious drop!

It's called Stevie Johnson syndrome.

12 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

If it make you feel better, take a look at how many egregious drops Jerry Rice had.

On 8/9/2018 at 5:06 PM, Rocky Landing said:

I'd be more confident if I thought WR coach was going to make a difference.  Last year's WR made a difference, a negative one.

...quite the ringing endorsement YOLO found on BR...."charmin' soft"?......hmmmm...........

Sources within the Cleveland scouting department and coaching staff complained about his lack of football knowledge and preparation, saying: "The guy couldn't even line up in the right spot in practice. And this is his third year in the offense." One teammate, who requested to not be named, said Coleman was "all the time missing the snap count or lining up offsides. How do you do that s--t as a professional football player?"

That was strike one for Coleman, who many scouts worried about privately in predraft talks because of the offensive scheme he was in at Baylor and the struggles to acclimate to an NFL-style playbook from there.

Strike two for Coleman, according once again to teammates, was a label that no player wants—"soft."

"You have this guy who is supposed to be supertough, or so we were told, and he doesn't want to fight for the ball or get physical in traffic. He's Charmin soft."

3 hours ago, WhickedWilliams said:

Corey Coleman has been injured and lacked a quarterback for the years in Cleveland. Can he be better than Sammy Watkins? When Corey shatters expectations and stays healthy, makes everything calm and comfortable while trusting the process in regards to personel decisions. I love this pickup, great value. Does anyone agree with me that Corey will end up being #1, Benji #2, zay will slowly get his train back on the rails this year as the #3. Alright, now let me have it! ?

You are getting a lot of flack, but there is more possibility here than most are ready to admit.  Its quite possible Coleman can emerge as a true #1 WR, he was a first round pick for a reason.  He's fast, strong, and talented.  He was saddled with the worst team in the NFL for 2 years that won one game over those 2 years with the worst QB situation in at least a decade in the NFL over that span.  

By no means am I saying he will become the #1, but KB has only had 1000 yards once, and it was barely 1000 yards, and it was his rookie year.  He isnt fast and is injury prone.  Yet, KB had a league MVP as his QB and still couldn't get to 1000 yards but once.  

So, its not like we have some stud #1 he cant over take.  Dont get me wrong, I really like KB and his size, but we aren't talking about Larry Fitzgerald here either.  KB has to prove he can be a true top #1 WR...and I would add, the Panthers have a SUBSTANTIALLY better record WITHOUT KB compared to mediocre record with KB.  

Again, not hating on KB, but just pointing out he has stuff to prove too, so its entirely possible Coleman can emerge.  No one thought much of guys like Jimmy Smith, Roddy White, Steve Smith, Wes Welker, Cris Carter, and so many others who started slow in their careers but put it together to become weapons in their own right.  

And honestly, Coleman and KB should compliment each other very well and help both their games be better.  That being said, Coleman certainly has a lot to prove and KB needs to prove he is a true #1 and that he can stay on the field.

UPDATE EDIT:  Great first impression on the new season by KB.  He needs to play this way to be viewed as an undisputed #1 WR and I will be pulling for him.  I loved trading for him because I love his size, but he has got to also stay on the field.  But he certainly showed more explosion than anyone seen from him in a while right out the gate.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Coleman looked like Dog **** in the opening episode of Hard Knocks. I can see why Cleveland got rid of him. He drops a lot of balls. Here's to hoping he turns it around in Buffalo with some good coaching.

You do realize that they manipulate that for TV right?

Just checking....and they ALL drop balls....and if he was looking like a star in Cleveland then they most certainly would not be trading him.

11 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Coleman looked like Dog **** in the opening episode of Hard Knocks. I can see why Cleveland got rid of him. He drops a lot of balls. Here's to hoping he turns it around in Buffalo with some good coaching.

LMAO, he was barely in the episode, so thats quite an exaggeration.  One of the plays was a poorly thrown ball that was well short and didn't scoop it.  I dont care about episode 1 of Hard Knocks, I saw this kid ball out in college and makes some big plays in the NFL despite awful QB play and battling injury issues.  

WR's drop passes, so I dont care about the big one last year and a couple in Hard Knocks.  TO just made the HOF and he dropped a LOT of balls.  What I care is what this kid does HERE moving forward.  Its only his 3rd year, he is young and plenty of upside too that Hard Knocks didn't spend anytime showing.

57 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Agreed, but Stevie Johnson dropped a wide open game-winning TD pass in OT.  I don't think that defined his career with the Bills.

44 minutes ago, Mickey said:

If it make you feel better, take a look at how many egregious drops Jerry Rice had.

T.O just went into the HOF (figuratively, at least) and I remember a game with SF where he dropped so many ball he cried when he finally caught the game winner. I was surprised they kept going to him, frankly. 

11 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

After watching that video, that Jerry Rice guy really sucked.  

Who would give up a 7th for that guy?

Some of those looked like Stevie, I must admit. PTSD setting in....

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...quite the ringing endorsement YOLO found on BR...."charmin' soft"?......hmmmm...........

Sources within the Cleveland scouting department and coaching staff complained about his lack of football knowledge and preparation, saying: "The guy couldn't even line up in the right spot in practice. And this is his third year in the offense." One teammate, who requested to not be named, said Coleman was "all the time missing the snap count or lining up offsides. How do you do that s--t as a professional football player?"

That was strike one for Coleman, who many scouts worried about privately in predraft talks because of the offensive scheme he was in at Baylor and the struggles to acclimate to an NFL-style playbook from there.

Strike two for Coleman, according once again to teammates, was a label that no player wants—"soft."

"You have this guy who is supposed to be supertough, or so we were told, and he doesn't want to fight for the ball or get physical in traffic. He's Charmin soft."

I saw the article on BR this morning.  Not very encouraging.  

I'm hoping he reinvents himself in Buffalo.  But my expectations are low.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....didn't he tweak a hammy already in practice?..........

I didn't hear of it. It would be nice, but unexpected from my end if he managed to stay healthy for the whole season.

From the sound of things he has some way to go before he can be entrusted with having the ball thrown to him on a consistent basis.

Would be very surprised if he came out the gate a primary WR target.

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

...then again, we're talking Cleveland...where EVERY draft candidate stays up late at night hoping to go...analytics experts, Jimmy "The Rebate" Haslam as your meddling owner....."One 'n Thirty One Hugh" as your HC....and now Haley's Comet as your OC and Greggy "Airhorn" Williams as your DC....has to be a 1/2 step short of heaven.....

8 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

I didn't hear of it. It would be nice, but unexpected from my end if he managed to stay healthy for the whole season.

From the sound of things he has some way to go before he can be entrusted with having the ball thrown to him on a consistent basis.

Would be very surprised if he came out the gate a primary WR target.

...probably wrong bud, but thought I read it here in a camp report post..........

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...then again, we're talking Cleveland...where EVERY draft candidate stays up late at night hoping to go...analytics experts, Jimmy "The Rebate" Haslam as your meddling owner....."One 'n Thirty One Hugh" as your HC....and now Haley's Comet as your OC and Greggy "Airhorn" Williams as your DC....has to be a 1/2 step short of heaven.....

...probably wrong bud, but thought I read it here in a camp report post..........

Then again, you could be right.

20 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Agreed. TO and JR dropped some balls. They all do. But needless to say those guys also knew to play the position at a high level. So far the rap sheet says Corey Coleman does not have the necessary skills/awareness to de successful. Hope he can turn it around 

Still an excellent move on spec by Beane. The raw talent and athleticism are there. NFL calibre specific receiver skillset has yet to make its appearance. 

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

Was going to say this. Landry’s speech may have been directed at him 

• Like (+1) 1

Never judge a man when his backs against the wall. Like Aplha said he was a 1st round pick (1st receiver taken) for a reason. He’s still very young and has the speed to take the lid off the defense. Being traded for a 7th 3 yrs after being a 1st round pick can give a man a chip on his shoulder like no other. Potential yes, let’s just get the ball through the air. If we have a qb who can move the ball around similar to what peterman did tonight, Coleman never had an opportunity to catch balls like that in his years in Cleveland. Worst quarterback situation I can recall. 

I do see KB as the possession big target guy, Coleman could have stats on the side like Martavius Bryant was in pitt for a couple years. KB looked great tonight, I’m happy we have some talent at the receiver position, last year was concerning.

Edited by WhickedWilliams
  • Like (+1) 1