Bills trade with Browns for Corey Coleman

7 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

I know the truth hurts, but some people just can't handle it.

Why do you care so much?  As long as he helps us win.  Now get back to fiddling through Coleman's twitter account to dig up some dirt.  The Bills already knew about this.  It is a non-story

what truth. The truth that we took a very low cost gamble on a former 1st rd pick that has a minor smudge or 2 on his record. Heck even the Zay Jones offseaosn thing was pretty much nothing in my book. These kids are 20 -22 years old. I can easily excuse an issue or 2, but when you become a Dareus well then we have reason to be more concerend about those issues.

At this point its a low risk high reward gamble.. If it doesn't work out it still was worth trying, and a much better option than Erik Decker

Edited by ddaryl

24 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

Two paragraphs from a story by AP Sports Writer Tom Withers.

But beyond Coleman's problems on the field, he had issues outside the lines that hurt his standing with

Coach Hue Jackson and new General Manager John Dorsey.

Coleman was named in a police report regarding an alleged felonious assault last year.  He was also sent home

from the Browns trip to Houston for missing curfew while he was injured.

We are changing the culture. With Zay Jones and Coleman on the field as WRs (insert your own joke here)

i200w.webp

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

As we all know, Beane and McDermott are very lax on discipline. It's basically the inmates running the asylum around here.

I guess character doesn't mean anything to these guys...Sheesh.

What this team needs is a no nonsense, tough on the players, high character only Head Coach.

I hear Rex Ryan is available.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

I have watched quite a bit of his highlights. Two things stand out. 1) is his speed. Fast feet, can run decent routes. 2) is, while he makes a good number of highpoint, contested catches, when he's got his man beat hands down and the ball is in the air, he's not a comeback to the ball type of guy. 70% of the highlights I saw showed him belly catching the ball, instead of coming back to snatch and run. With his speed, he needs to get the ball asap and be gone, without waiting, and gut catching it. 

All in all, great value for a 7th round pick in 2 years!

he was considered the #1 WR in the 2016 draft. Ran a 4.32 in high school. Incredible fast twitch movement.  Missed all of October both seasons with Cleveland due to hand issues.  Could develop into a #2 guy but concerned about durability and poor target/catch ratio. But we gave up little to get him.

I have always been in favor of building a team with players that have a "team first" mentality and allowing lesser talented players who work hard, play hard, go full out and are generally decent human beings be the players your fan base can identify with. That said, as much as I didn't like Dareus for his off the field issues, this one for Coleman is a non-issue in my mind. I'm not saying he's clean in this as we all accept "some" guilt by association at times in our lives, but I don't think it's much of an issue unless it continues to be a problem. We all know McCoy has seen some brushes with the law and yet he continues to be beloved by the fan base. Coleman missed a curfew when he was injured and while it's not entirely excusable, we have to take into account his age and what else was happening in his life at the time (to which I have no information). 

All in all, Coleman's value will be determined by how he embraces the Buffalo Bills as a teammate, how he plays on Sundays, what he does in the community, and how he endears himself to the fans - which is to include no legal entanglements that aren't family related. I give him a fresh start and let's see what happens. Personally, I think Daboll is the first OC since Chan Gailey who has the experience and creativity to be able to use these weapons (i.e. Shady, Benjamin, Zay, Coleman, Clay, et. al.) in a long time and I think if they sort out the QB concern, this Offense is going to surprise some people. 

42 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

But beyond Coleman's problems on the field, he had issues outside the lines that hurt his standing with

Coleman was named in a police report regarding an alleged felonious assault last year.  He was also sent home

We are changing the culture. With Zay Jones and Coleman on the field as WRs (insert your own joke here)

Can we insert the joke when you post?

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, brianthomas said:

I agree with u 99% The only caveat would be that perhaps him doing the track & field stuff, put extra wear & tear on his body & that it prevented his body from fully recovering. Its all speculation on my part obviously but with the ligament injuries it could make sense. It does suck for us that he turned into a star when he left. Such a Bills thing to happen

Could the track practice and competition have played a factor? It could have, it’s all speculation but my point was that a lot of Goodwin’s injuries were heavy contact injuries like concussion and injuries that happened after hits violently tore muscle. Also the narrative the poster was saying was that Goodwin was simply playing for Buffalo to fund his true passion for track. Which by all accounts for how hard he worked while he was in Buffalo is not true. Also on the surface it makes little sense since Goodwin was on a 3rd round pick deal and there isn’t exactly a lot of money to be made in track. If Goodwin was truly that passionate about track he probably wouldn’t have played football at all since one tear to the ACL could damage your speed forever.

You could argue that Goodwin’s track training contributed negatively to his injury history. However I would put that more so on the training staff for allowing him to train in such a way that would make him more likely to get hurt than on Goodwin for doing something that he got team approval to do. Also Goodwin always to me looked like a legit big play type WR when he was healthy. It was just right when he would have a big game he would get hurt.

It's not necessarily something that just happens to the Bills, players leave a team they struggled with and go off (I am sure Colts fans lament Jerry Hughes.) It’s the unpredictable NFL. I was sad to see Goodwin go since in 2017 he signed with the Niners for so little and if the org was willing to let Woods go and trade Sammy why not kick the tires on Goodwin for one more year if it isn’t going to cost a lot? No need to try over sour grapes, I can’t hate Goodwin as long as a player works hard and is respected by his teammates you are good in my book even if the results on the field aren’t the best.

56 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

DOOMED!!!!!:death: .......... :rolleyes::lol:

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

Happens to the best:

What does Marv say, Uncle Joe?

WHAT DOES MARV SAY, UNCLE JOE?!!!!

Once you start thinking about retirement, you are already retired.

That's why he got hurt.*

*  I have no proof that is the reason why he got hurt and it is just pure speculation.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Tells me they were cutting him

Yup. But trading that measly pick got the Bills Coleman under his rookie deal and fiscal certainty for three years. Otherwise he'd be making a beeline for Foxboro.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

The Bills did take on his contract $'s which are guaranteed.

That being said it still is a good move by Beane.

Colorado if we end up cutting him before the season (unlikely) we get to rest our hat on further cementing our legacy as the Kings of Dead Cap Money!

?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm more meh on the trade than others are but I can't complain for a 7th in 2020. Browns fans on Twitter mostly hate the trade and think he was putting together a good training camp this year. The big question with Coleman is can he stay healthy?

Exactly...........we're picking up a WR who broke his hand TWICE in 2 years....................

What does he use to catch the ball ???

Is there a HOF WR who had his hand broken TWICE in his entire career ??

This is like getting a great deal on a used car, and wondering why the price is so low................

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Unless this is sarcasm,  it's a laughably horrendous assessment. 

It's just an observation.   

I looked at the data a little more carefully.   The two (Sammy in Buffalo and Corey in Cleveland) were targeted about the same.   Corey a little less, but about the same.  

But Corey caught the ball a lot less often than Sammy.   Sammy caught it 55% of his targets, Corey only 43%.  That's a big difference.   That difference accounts for the differences between them in yards per catch, yards per game, etc.   

So the question is why did Corey catch the ball so much less than Sammy?   One explanation would be Corey's hands, which apparently are suspect.   Another explanation would be the quarterbacks.   In 2016, Corey had McCown, RGII and Cody Kessler throwing to him; in 2017 it was DsShone Kizer.  Sammy had EJ and Orton for one season, and Taylor for two.  So it's quite possible that Corey's lower completion percentage was related to the QB play he was getting.  Taylor, at least, was much better than the quarterbacks Coleman had.

So, based on the stats, it's hard to say that Watkins contributed more to the Bills than Coleman contributed to the Browns.

Sammy is one of the most talented receivers around, but he's never made anything of it.  

If I have to have an underperforming wideout, I'd rather have one that cost me a seventh round pick instead of one that cost me two firsts.    

Unbelievable some of the criticism on this trade. It's a 7th round pick for a former 1st round guy who, yeah, may have some issues (not anything that he can't be coached on) and some injuries but compared to most players found in any 7th round in any year, this is a great deal for the Bills. Especially if they see him in a specific WR role. Obviously they wanted to add speed so if the kid has trouble with a full route tree, well, use him in certain packages with certain routes while bringing him along slowly to make him a more well-rounded receiver. The tweet by Daniel Jeremiah is spot on. Some players take a little longer than others to acclimate themselves to the NFL level. Jeremiah named Agholor from Philly as a prime example. First two seasons, Philly fans were screaming for this guy to be cut. Last season he went off and showed his full potential. And that's what Beane is banking on right here, can Coleman reach his potential? If he can, then it's a great trade for the Bills. If he can't, then it's a lost 7th round pick, not a big deal. Solid trade.

28 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's just an observation.   

I looked at the data a little more carefully.   The two (Sammy in Buffalo and Corey in Cleveland) were targeted about the same.   Corey a little less, but about the same.  

But Corey caught the ball a lot less often than Sammy.   Sammy caught it 55% of his targets, Corey only 43%.  That's a big difference.   That difference accounts for the differences between them in yards per catch, yards per game, etc.   

So the question is why did Corey catch the ball so much less than Sammy?   One explanation would be Corey's hands, which apparently are suspect.   Another explanation would be the quarterbacks.   In 2016, Corey had McCown, RGII and Cody Kessler throwing to him; in 2017 it was DsShone Kizer.  Sammy had EJ and Orton for one season, and Taylor for two.  So it's quite possible that Corey's lower completion percentage was related to the QB play he was getting.  Taylor, at least, was much better than the quarterbacks Coleman had.

So, based on the stats, it's hard to say that Watkins contributed more to the Bills than Coleman contributed to the Browns.

Sammy is one of the most talented receivers around, but he's never made anything of it.  

If I have to have an underperforming wideout, I'd rather have one that cost me a seventh round pick instead of one that cost me two firsts.    

:blink: Your explanation and statistical analysis of the two simply do not add up and it's not hard to say that at all:

Watkins' 1st two season with Buffalo  - 125 catches (224 targets) for 2000+ yards with 15 TDs in 29 games

20b0inn.jpg

Coleman's two seasons with Cleveland  - 56 catches (131 targets) for 718 yards with 5 TDs in 19 games

f9f386.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Coleman has great speed and a really quick burst off the line.

If anyone is going to be on the receiving end of the odd Josh Allen bomb that utilizes Allen's arm strength, it's probably going to be Coleman.  If he can stay on the field.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:blink: Your explanation and statistical analysis of the two simply do not add up and it's not hard to say that at all: ...

flawed logic and an unerring need to be right all the time fuels the desire.

• Like (+1) 1