Is Zay Jones A “Lock” To Make The Roster

35 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

Barring any unforeseen future breakdowns or discipline problems, he is absolutely a lock for the team.

Teams just don't part with 2nd round picks in their 2nd year with the team 

GB waived Brian Brohm at the end of preseason of his sophomore year***.  A few years ago some team cut their 2nd round pick as a rookie.  One year, Minnesota cut their 1st round rookie because they realized he was a mental case in preseason. EDIT: Here's what I saw on a message board after a search:

Dimitrius Underwood selected in the first round (29th) of the 1999 NFL Draft by the Vikings.

Sad / bizarre story from Wiki: He signed a five-year, $5.3 million contract on August 1, 1999, and walked out of training camp the next day after the first practice and never returned. He forfeited a $1.75 million bonus saying he could not resolve the conflict between playing football and serving his Christian faith. Although he eventually returned, he was released later that month.

He was claimed on waivers by the Miami Dolphins as 23 teams passed on him. ... Multiple times during team meetings, Underwood was found not taking notes, but instead writing about the apocalypse. He only played one preseason game for the Dolphins before getting injured.[3] In September 1999, Underwood was arrested by police for failure to pay child support. Within 24 hours, he attempted to commit suicide by slashing his own neck with a cutlass before repeatedly yelling "I'm not worthy of God".

... Underwood later spent two months in protective care and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. After he escaped from a psychiatric care facility, he was released from the Dolphins on December 17, 1999.[6] On March 10, 2000, he signed a two-year contract with the Dallas Cowboys... In January 2001, he tried to kill himself for the second time by running into traffic twice on a busy suburban highway. The Cowboys released him later that month after he missed practice.

***-I still can't believe there were fans around here who thought we stole Brohm off GB's practice squad and that he would be our long term answer at QB-especially considering who was running the team at the time compared with the other 30 GMs who made no attempt to pick up Brohm off waivers in September.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

GB waived Brian Brohm at the end of preseason of his sophomore year***.  A few years ago some team cut their 2nd round pick as a rookie.  One year, Minnesota cut their 1st round rookie because they realized he was a mental case in preseason. 

***-I still can't believe there were fans around here who thought we stole Brohm off GB's practice squad and that he would be our long term answer at QB-especially considering who was running the team at the time compared with the other 30 GMs who made no attempt to pick up Brohm off waivers in September.  

Fair points. We’re talking about a guy who was arrested while running around naked in a high rise apartment, yammering on about Jesus and nearly taking  a 30 story joyride onto a sidewalk. Not a lock ....

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No. I don't believe Zay is a lock. Do I think he is one of the favourites in the group battling for spots? Yes. Do I think he likely makes it? Yes. Lock? No. And the way McDermott and Beane both referred to him last week in different interviews leads me to believe that. 

With no hesitation I say Zay Jones is a lock, assuming he is healthy. 

In another topic that I believe you started you projected that OT Conor McDermott and TE Logan Thomas wouldn't make the roster. I respectfully but strenuously disagree with you. Both of them will survive the final cut down and make the roster. Time and effort is being invested in developing them. And there is little desire to lose their investment to another team. 

I'd say he's about 90% to make the roster.  The 10% is if the coaching staff learns something about him that convinces them he's always going to have some issues that they don't want to have to deal with.  I have no idea what those would be.

4 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

New issues, old issues. Two surgeries so far this year gives me that feeling of Zay being injury prone, I hope that isn't the case.

Only the shoulder was football related and he was rather durable in College. Seems like a stretch. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

39 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

**-I still can't believe there were fans around here who thought we stole Brohm off GB's practice squad and that he would be our long term answer at QB-especially considering who was running the team at the time compared with the other 30 GMs who made no attempt to pick up Brohm off waivers in September.  

Just goes to show how desperate we've been to finally get a competent QB lol. I remember around that time that people were actually excited about getting Brohm because he came from Green Bay & that since they've had success with QB's that perhaps he'd be good.

We all know how that turned out. I just hope no Bills fan ever bought one of his jerseys lol

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

So Zay Jones returned to practice today after a disappointing rookie year and an a bizarre incident in the off-season which cost him the entire OTA’s and the start of training camp.

Question is - is Zay Jones a lock to make the roster.  On one hand it seems like a no brained.  He was a second round draft pick, and while he did fail to meeting expectations, he still is a higher pick.

But while we can speculate, we have no idea what happened this off-season.  There’s a good chance the Bills do and it could be worse than we expect.

Also remember, Zay is not a Brandon Beane guy.  He was drafted before Beane arrived, and while McDermott likely had a big hand in his selection, remember Beane has control of the 53.

Then there’s the emergence of WR’s like Malachy Dupree, Cam Phillips, and Reuben Foster (to a lesser extent).  One of two of those WR’s could conceivably take Zay’s roster.  It seems like Kelvin Benjamin, and Jeremy Kerley are the locks in the roster.  Everyone else seems to be muddled together fighting for one of 4 roster spots.  

I don’t think it’s likely that Zay doesn’t make the team, but I don’t think it’s a lock either.  

Curious to to hear your thoughts.  

I say the Bills give him one more season to get it together,  he would have to be really bad to get cut in just his second season.  WR'S sometimes take longer to develop,  still remember his backwards moonwalk from the ground.

He's fighting an uphill battle IMO.  He struggled to get open last year.  He struggled to catch the ball at times.  He's been injured and had a strange off-season incident.  He's missed a ton of work compared to his competition and the Bills have other young inexpensive options in camp. 

No.  His bad off-season, underwhelming rookie campaign, and recent injury are all cause for concern.  He'll probably make the team (90-95% chance), but if other WR's beat him out then I don't think Beane/McDermott would hesitate to trade or release him.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

May I review the other Zay Jones threads before I commit?

Sorry...not everyone enjoys looking through 80 pages from one thread.  It’s very hard to

follow and this thread pertained to a specific question that warrants its own thread.

So annoyed with people whinging about threads.  If it was up to you m, I’m sure we would organize topics under players names and have thousands of pages to look through.  Oh I can’t wait to read “Josh Allen” with 1,000 pages or “LeSean McCoy” with 2,000 pages

35 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Sorry...not everyone enjoys looking through 80 pages from one thread.  It’s very hard to

follow and this thread pertained to a specific question that warrants its own thread.

So annoyed with people whinging about threads.  If it was up to you m, I’m sure we would organize topics under players names and have thousands of pages to look through.  Oh I can’t wait to read “Josh Allen” with 1,000 pages or “LeSean McCoy” with 2,000 pages

You could find your same "specific question" brought up on page one of any Zay Jones thread.

It's pretty much the entire debate concerning Zay Jones at this point--does he belong on the team.  In fact, if you look 2 threads down form this one, you will see a Zay Jones thread where the first response raises your "specific question".

Edited by Mr. WEO

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You could find your same "specific question" brought up on page one of any Zay Jones thread.

It's pretty much the entire debate concerning Zay Jones at this point--does he belong on the team.  In fact, if you look 2 threads down form this one, you will see a Zay Jones thread where the first response raises your "specific question".

Yeah sorry.... that’s not how it works anymore.  We shouldn’t have to spend an hour skimming through 182 pages titles “LeSean McCoy Allegations,” if we want to

share a story on McCoy.  

It is 100% ok to start a new thread in this situation.  That’s the evolution of this message board.  It’s not 2008 anymore.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

Yeah sorry.... that’s not how it works anymore.  We shouldn’t have to spend an hour skimming through 182 pages titles “LeSean McCoy Allegations,” if we want to

share a story on McCoy.  

It is 100% ok to start a new thread in this situation.  That’s the evolution of this message board.  It’s not 2008 anymore.  

Better get started on that Coleman thread with the "specific question" you have.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Better get started on that Coleman thread with the "specific question" you have.

Ok I’ll laugh to see the grown men in here (in some cases the old men in here) whinge because a new thread was started.   Oh my!

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

Ok I’ll laugh to see the grown men in here (in some cases the old men in here) whinge because a new thread was started.   Oh my!

Look, just trying to help.  If you took one second to look at page one of the other thread (not all 182 pages of a completely unrelated thread), you would have seen the discussion you wish to start was already started.  

The point of you starting the same exact discussion is so you don't have to be bothered with reading it somewhere where it is easily found?

Eh I'd call the Chargers. Maybe Phil McGeoghan wants his receiver back. 

Zay and John Miller (excelled for Anthony Lynn) for Forrest Lamp (2nd rounder coming off an ACL with huge upside) and something like Travis Benjamin (explosive return man who is slightly overpaid). 

Taking on the Benjamin contract nets you Lamp who, like Zay, is a 2nd round pick with potential, coming off injury, who hasn't proven it yet. 

Just food for thought. 

• Like (+1) 1

Zay has a lot to prove. I think he makes it but he's definitely not a lock, especially after the Coleman trade. It wasn't only the yips and drops.  Zay didn't run great patterns last year. He didn't show an awareness for down and distance and especially on the sidelines. He was AWFUL tracking the ball in the air on downfield plays. I expect them to give him a chance and expect him to make the team, but he is not a lock and he could be a total bust. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Zay has a lot to prove. I think he makes it but he's definitely not a lock, especially after the Coleman trade. It wasn't only the yips and drops.  Zay didn't run great patterns last year. He didn't show an awareness for down and distance and especially on the sidelines. He was AWFUL tracking the ball in the air on downfield plays. I expect them to give him a chance and expect him to make the team, but he is not a lock and he could be a total bust. 

var truth = this.zayjonesSituation("Nailed it");

Actually? The most ironic thing I can think of: Zay Jones does just well enough in preaseason games...that we trade him to Cleveland and get our 5th? pick back + their 5th. It makes sense because Jones is supposed to be a #1-type outside WR, which Cleveland needs. Cleveland doesn't need a package/3rd down WR right now, which Coleman is; not on an recently 0-16 team. They need a #1-type who can help establish the basics. Jones has the size and strength to make it easy for Tyrod or Mayfield to hit the simple curl/out routs. Cleveland is in no position to run exotic plays. Not when most of their house is still on fire(0-16).

Apparently our coaches think we are. Who knows? This may end up as a 2 step, but ultimately, player for player trade.

5 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I was 22 once too. If cameras were always on me, I coulda done a lot worse. Give him a chance 

If you've done worse than running around naked, trying to kick out a window and jump off a 30th floor while yelling nonsensically about Jesus. I really don't care what you think, you're not the person to listen to.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

No.  McBeane has shown no remorse or loyalty.  You produce or you are gone.  Zay needs to earn his spot.  The fact that they went and got Coleman says that loud and clear.

Funny you say that and then back it up with the Coleman trade, a guy who, up to this point, hasn’t “earned” anything either. He’s another high pick who has been hurt all the time (like Zay) and hasn’t really been able to catch the ball (like Zay.)

Edited by JoPar_v2

2 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Funny you say that and then back it up with the Coleman trade, a guy who, up to this point, hasn’t “earned” anything either. He’s another high pick who has been hurt all the time (like Zay) and hasn’t really been able to catch the ball (like Zay.)

Coleman is apparently ready to play and didn't have any troubling off-season incidents I'm aware of.  

7 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

So Zay Jones returned to practice today after a disappointing rookie year and an a bizarre incident in the off-season which cost him the entire OTA’s and the start of training camp.

Question is - is Zay Jones a lock to make the roster.  On one hand it seems like a no brained.  He was a second round draft pick, and while he did fail to meeting expectations, he still is a higher pick.

But while we can speculate, we have no idea what happened this off-season.  There’s a good chance the Bills do and it could be worse than we expect.

Also remember, Zay is not a Brandon Beane guy.  He was drafted before Beane arrived, and while McDermott likely had a big hand in his selection, remember Beane has control of the 53.

Then there’s the emergence of WR’s like Malachy Dupree, Cam Phillips, and Reuben Foster (to a lesser extent).  One of two of those WR’s could conceivably take Zay’s roster.  It seems like Kelvin Benjamin, and Jeremy Kerley are the locks in the roster.  Everyone else seems to be muddled together fighting for one of 4 roster spots.  

I don’t think it’s likely that Zay doesn’t make the team, but I don’t think it’s a lock either.  

Curious to to hear your thoughts.  

After Corey Coleman...I doubt it now. Zay could be cut

10 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Coleman is apparently ready to play and didn't have any troubling off-season incidents I'm aware of.  

Didn’t Zay return to full practice today? Seems like he’s ready to play. And if “no-nonsense” McBeane were really concerned about the hotel Zay would be gone already.

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Didn’t Zay return to full practice today? Seems like he’s ready to play. And if “no-nonsense” McBeane were really concerned about the hotel Zay would be gone already.

Clearly we disagree.  I don't think Zay is a lock and you do.  We'll see how it goes.

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

With no hesitation I say Zay Jones is a lock, assuming he is healthy. 

In another topic that I believe you started you projected that OT Conor McDermott and TE Logan Thomas wouldn't make the roster. I respectfully but strenuously disagree with you. Both of them will survive the final cut down and make the roster. Time and effort is being invested in developing them. And there is little desire to lose their investment to another team. 

No, not on McDermott. I never did. I like McDermott and think in an ideal world he is their swing tackle. 

Logan Thomas sucks. If he makes the roster again there is something wrong. 

Oh and Corey goes straight in above Zay. So you now have: Benjamin, Kerley, Coleman plus Holmes (as a core STer and back of the roster WR). The Zay is in a fight for one of the two or three remaining spots.