Shady on verge of cementing HoF status?

Shady on verge of cementing HoF status?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Is lesean McCoy a HoF?

He’d stand a better chance if he'd played on a great team and had more personal and post season success. He needs to stay healthy a few more years. I admit I didn’t click the link, but I am curious how his numbers stack up. Chalk one ignorant post up to pure laziness, while just going by instinct. ? 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Augie said:

He’d stand a better chance if he'd played on a great team and had more personal and post season success. He needs to stay healthy a few more years. I admit I didn’t click the link, but I am curious how his numbers stack up. Chalk one ignorant post up to pure laziness, while just going by instinct. ? 

He has 13,740 yards from scrimmage , ahead of OJ Simpson and just behind Adrian Peterson

If he gets 1100 more yards from scrimmage this year he becomes just the 11th player to reach 1100 scrimmage yards 9 or more times

one of quickest players to 10,000 rushings yards by carries

• Thank you (+1) 1

One more year like last year (plus a little change as he slows down for a year or two), and I say he’s in. Now, how are those hammie’s feeling? 

Edited by Augie

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

One more year like last year (plus a little change as he slows down for a year or two), and I say he’s in. Now, how are those hammie’s feeling? 

Some styles tend to hold up better than others. Compared to other bigger hulking backs Shady takes fewer big shots and still is super quick 

his game isnt about speed, it’s about his vision/quickness which he still will have for a few more years

who knows how he is in 3 years though 

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Some styles tend to hold up better than others. Compared to other bigger hulking backs Shady takes fewer big shots and still is super quick 

his game isnt about speed, it’s about his vision/quickness which he still will have for a few more years

who knows how he is in 3 years though 

Vision and quickness are his super powers. Hammie’s and lingering injuries are his kryptonite. He can’t afford to lose big chunks of seasons, for multiple reasons! This is the age where that can happen more and more. Fingers crossed! I hope he’s eating his kale. (Blech!) 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

It’s going to be really difficult/impossible for him to put up the necessary numbers with this team imo. 

The flip side is they are going to be very reliant upon him. Could be big numbers. He is THE weapon as long as he’s healthy.  Yes, other teams will focus on him.  We’ll see..... STAY HEALTHY! 

• Like (+1) 1

The criteria sports writers use to evaluate a player's career are silly.  A great player might never play on a great team.  That's not his fault.  His accomplishments should be be given MORE weight if his team doesn't make the playoffs consistently, because it indicates he's not riding on someone else's abilities to get things done. 

He needs a couple more years but since by his admission he adopted regular and hot yoga, which is awesome for increasing flexibility and functional strength with you’re small muscles not achieved by traditional lifting and running, I can see him continuing to play.

i see him on the way and this team needs to rely on him as we don’t have stud WR and TE so he will continue to rack up the numbers.  So many people are writing off our chances this year, and I still believe we can be solid.  Hopefully another wild card spot, and next year we have with the way the cap has increased will mean $100 million in space to retain the studs and buy some key players on top of the draft.

that could turn into three playoff appearances or hopefully some wins.  We’ll see.  As fans we’re so beaten down with a 17 year drought many of us can’t see the plan and talent in the. Mgmt and coaching which is helping in sound decision making.  The worst thing that. Could happen is to lose these guys.

He's not far off.  Another couple seasons over 1,000 yards and his usual impact in the passing game, he's in.   If he retired tomorrow I think he still might get in but it would be a longish wait.

I'm just glad he wound up with the Bills.  High end, elite, rare talent is a beautiful thing to watch.

http://www.profootballhof.com/photos/gallery/hall-of-fame-rbs/

There’s a link to current HOF RBs.  I agree with those who say he’s not there yet, but could certainly make it if he finishes his career strong.  Right now he’s on the outside looking in with the likes of Steven Jackson, Fred Taylor and Corey Dillon. 

Edited by BarleyNY

HE has been good, but has he been one of the best ever. I'm not so sure yet.

Currently I would put him in the hall of very good.

He will need to be in the top 10 all time rushing leaders when all is said and done for it to be considered, IMO. Which is likely.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

The flip side is they are going to be very reliant upon him. Could be big numbers. He is THE weapon as long as he’s healthy.  Yes, other teams will focus on him.  We’ll see..... STAY HEALTHY! 

Very true. My only worry is being THE guy with the worst receiver group in the league, a below average offensive line, and an inexperienced QB. Opposing defensive coordinators will load the box against this Bills team. There is no way you can allow Shady to beat you, as he is the Bills only weapon. It doesn’t seem like a recipe for big numbers.  It’s tough to imagine Shady averaging more than 4 ypg this season imo.

I hope that you’re correct because he will definitely be given plenty of opportunities. I wish I were more confident that it will translate to big numbers. Staying healthy will also be a big challenge for a back his age carrying a huge workload. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I think he has a legitimate chance to get in someday. As long as he stays healthy and can knock out another couple of seasons like his last two, he'll be within the top 10 in a lot of rushing categories. And I don't think playoffs and championships should weigh too heavily on it. Plenty of guys have made the Hall of Fame without a championship or playoff wins.

Only four career playoff games (all losses, with a 3.9 YPC and 1 TD) will make it hard for him to get in, IMO.   

OTOH, if LaDainian Tomlinson can get in (10 playoff games, 5-5 record, 3.6 YPC, 6 TDs), Shady should as well.   He'll have to play at least 3 more years and hopefully get a few more playoff games to pad the the resume...

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

‘To speak of’? OJ had 1 playoff game. 

OJ's talent was generational and transcended statistical norms.    He didn't need playoff games to make his HOF case like Shady will...

Edited by Lurker

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Only four career playoff games (all losses, with a 3.9 YPC and 1 TD) will make it hard for him to get in, IMO.   

OTOH, if LaDainian Tomlinson can get in (10 playoff games, 5-5 record, 3.6 YPC, 6 TDs), Shady should as well.   He'll have to play at least 3 more years and hopefully get a few more playoff games to pad the the resume...

OJ's talent was generational and transcended statistical norms.    He didn't need playoff games to make his HOF case like Shady will...

I think one could argue mccoys talent is generational. not so much his numbers but his talent is. he's the only player over the last 20 years that comes into the discussion when you talk about guys that remind you of sanders. he's obviously NOT sanders but he's the only person I can feel okay about putting in that convo. he's most definitely been a top 3 back of his generation. I think he'll have a very strong case if he even just produces for 2 more seasons. 

8 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think one could argue mccoys talent is generational. not so much his numbers but his talent is. he's the only player over the last 20 years that comes into the discussion when you talk about guys that remind you of sanders. he's obviously NOT sanders but he's the only person I can feel okay about putting in that convo. he's most definitely been a top 3 back of his generation. I think he'll have a very strong case if he even just produces for 2 more seasons. 

Earl Campbell and Juice only had 5 immortal seasons.  And immortal they were.

The RB role has fallen down a sinkhole over the last 15 or so years, it doesn't matter much any more for top teams.

8 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

he's gotta get about 3k more yards but he's gonna need some signature playoffs wins and hopefully we can get him those this year and next!

he isn't even up to Bills Wall of Fame status.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Earl Campbell and Juice only had 5 immortal seasons.  And immortal they were.

The RB role has fallen down a sinkhole over the last 15 or so years, it doesn't matter much any more for top teams.

I think its making a serious comeback though. 3 years ago I would 100% agree. but the feature back is most definitely making a return. couple years ago you could only name less than a handful of feature guys and now the list is getting longer.

Just now, row_33 said:

well duh. he hasn't even played half his career in buffalo. that doesn't mean by the end he wont be. 

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

well if he can put up 3 more years with good production kind of like emmitt did late in his career he could get there. But he's gotta get a run in the playoffs to get there.