What Is Your Favorite (or Least Favorite) Russ Brandon Memory

B9317993548Z.1_20150723175721_000_GSCBDA

As Russ Brandon has "resigned," let's take a moment to share our favorite or least favorite memory.  I had several:

First I remember when he was named as General Manager in 2008, after our pal Marv Levy quietly retired...not re-tired as GM.    I remember at the time thinking it was a joke to name Brandon GM, and I was pretty much right.  The one thing that Russ knew how to sell was hope and his biggest move as GM was signing Terrell Owens.  This was a very fun weekend to be a Bills fans, as TO was a huge name in the league.  I was really surprised to see TO end up signing with the team and a big reason why was because of Russ Brandon.  In the end, TO was on his best behavior but this was a more that was more about selling ticket than winning football games.  He had a few good games as a Bills, but ultimately his signing did very little to help improve Trent Edwards.  He did help introduce fans to a little known QB know as Ryan Fitzpatrick.  I also remember Sal Capaccio broke the story as he was trying to get a break in broadcasting.  He had a really cheesy website.  All in all though, the weekend the Bills signed TO was a very exciting time.

The second memory should have been good but was all smoke and mirrors.  I remember Russ calling a press conference on New Year's Day 2013 to announce that he had been named President.  This was huge because Ralph never gave that much power to any one individual since the failed Donahoe experiment.   Russ promised the world at this press conference and whether they admit it or not, guys like Howard Simon and The Poodle Chris Parker were saying how big this was for the franchise.  Russ has a famous quote - "the brand has been tarnished" in reference to the poor decisions made by Ralph Wilson while running the team.  He then goes to thank Buddy Nix because "the cupboard was bare" when he took over.  This made me bash my head against the wall because Buddy's poor job as GM was part of the reason why the brand had been tarnished.

Russ also famously promised a "robust analytics department" to help assist in football decision which was all the rage at the time.  Of course, he did hire Michael Lyons to lead the department but it never was involved in football.  Far from what he originally promised.  Lyons was finally axed last year by Beane.  Russ also promised and expansive coaching search to find the right candidate.  Instead, he hired Doug Marrone the head coach at his alma mater, Syracuse University.  Some search.

To be fair, I do know some people that know Russ through business/philanthropic relationships and they have had nothing but good things to say about him personally.  I think he does get somewhat of a bad rap from Bills.  Russ wasn't a power hungry executive trying to take over football operations - the Bills were a dysfunctional organization and he was hand appointed by Ralph to make football decisions.  Once he had the power to do so, he moved Buddy Nix into the position (bad hire).

Share some of your thoughts!

Never wanting to Rex leave the building and sitting in the film room with Whaley as they jerk off to Watkins sums up my sentiments about him

Also, who could ever forget trading a pro bowl LT under age 25 for the first time ever? 

Edited by JimKellyTryouts
  • Like (+1) 5

The early January P.C. a few years ago when he announced the upcoming "robust" analytics department.

He was really on a roll throughout that entire PC.  Just riffing BS like a maniac out his ass, nonstop.

Brandon in his finest hour.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The early January P.C. a few years ago when he announced the upcoming "robust" analytics department.

He was really on a roll throughout that entire PC.  Just riffing BS like a maniac out his ass, nonstop.

Brandon in his finest hour.

Yea but the media bought it!  I remember Howard talking about what a big moment it was for the Bills

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

His “Robust analytics department” that he initiated in 2013... and somewhere never made it over to the Football side and was only used for business. McBeane quickly replaced it with a real one. 

LOL yes the “robust” analytics were supposed to be used for football decisions like in Philly. When Tim Graham pressed him on it, he said it was used for season ticket projections LOL

• Like (+1) 2

Met him once at the Buffalo airport flying out to Charlotte. Told him about our Bills Backers club we had in Charlotte. He told me to call his office in a few days and they would send me some Bills stuff to raffle or give away/ Called his office talked to his secretary. A few days later I got  two big boxes of Bills autographed Balls and helmets plus t shirts. The man kept his word which is rare in this day and age. 

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, Billy Zabka said:

Least Favorite...When he traded a future HOF LT just entering his prime for a late 1st Round pick as GM.

Buddy Nix was the GM in 2009 when Peters was traded...

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Buddy Nix was the GM in 2009 when Peters was traded...

Buddy wasn't named GM until December 2009...Peters was traded in April 2009.  Brandon and Overdorf handled the negotiations with the Eagles.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Billy Zabka said:

Buddy wasn't named GM until December 2009...Peters was traded in April 2009.  Brandon and Overdorf handled the negotiations with the Eagles.

After further review, you are correct.   That was a painful  episode...

The time he "privately" boasted to other male community business leaders at a cocktail function...maybe Buffalo Club members, or some other such affluent network...about his recent visit to a Japanese brothel. Essentially it boiled to him being revered as some very "large" American man for whom their prophylactics were too small. Rich stuff, especially if you've stood next to him.  

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Today, so far... but the story behind his departure is going to be the gift that keeps on giving.:lol:

Or it could go the way of Pat LaFontaines surprise departure from the Sabres...still mostly a mystery all these years later.

The worst is definitely the Toronto Series deal.  A slap in the face to fans.  Extending Jauron and trading Peters also ranks up there.  

The best was reaching the seven year $271 million lease deal in 2012.  

• Like (+1) 1

My favorite moment is when he was fired as well. 

Russ has been the purveyor of the stank of losing around both franchises for a loooong time.  His measure of success wasn't W/L record on the field or on the ice, it was are we selling tickets and are we hitting our number$.  Period.  

Not surprised he turned out to me a lying d-bad either.  Rood riddance to bad garbage.  Don't let the door hit you on the A** on your way, Russ.  

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The worst is definitely the Toronto Series deal.  A slap in the face to fans.  Extending Jauron and trading Peters also ranks up there.  

The best was reaching the seven year $271 million lease deal in 2012.  

I think he saw the Toronto crowd as the logical extension of him.  Urbane. Suave.  Sophisticated.

25 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Rood riddance to bad garbage.  Don't let the door hit you on the A** on your way, Russ.  

I agree with you and Astro.

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The time he "privately" boasted to other male community business leaders at a cocktail function...maybe Buffalo Club members, or some other such affluent network...about his recent visit to a Japanese brothel. Essentially it boiled to him being revered as some very "large" American man for whom their prophylactics were too small. Rich stuff, especially if you've stood next to him.  

?...on so many levels.

6 hours ago, Buftex said:

Or it could go the way of Pat LaFontaines surprise departure from the Sabres...still mostly a mystery all these years later.

Though it was never confirmed, what I have heard is Pat was hired to do a job but never was given the power to do that job because of Russ AKA Russ marketing a bad team by hiring a known name.

Edited by The Wiz

My least favorite was knowing he told Pegula “don’t let him leave the building “ in reference to Rex Ryan, but that changes this morning upon reading his statement in his last conference.  

His is goal was to last 20 years with the Bills.  Longevity?   In other words he was in it for himself.   Not to win?  Not to build excellence?  Not to be a positive influence or give back to the community?  

I have no favovorite moments related lates to Brandon.   

Ralph is probably turning in his grave.  

Good riddance Russ.   

59 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Aw, poor Russ going to have to buy 'off the rack' like the rest of us shlubs.  Hey, what do you mean, $10 to hem the pants?!

I think Russ got a piece of the Bills sale.  He can afford the $10 hems

Edited by BuffaloRush

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

And then, a few years later, he was the one announcing that the Toronto deal would not be extended.

I always got the sense he wanted to be the guy who could say it was over when in fact it was his thing to begin with.

• Like (+1) 1

Favourite memory? Obviously it's when he got Psy to perform Gangnam Style during one of the Toronto games. Honestly felt like we were in the Super Bowl that day. The atmosphere was electric!!

Least favourite? That time he sold me a used Dodge Neon. He told me it was in mint condition and the thing fell apart after a week. By then he had shipped out and was apparently trying to sell a monorail to some city folk in the midwest.

Good luck to you Russ. I think the Ghostbusters franchise is still looking for a real life version of Slimer. Can't think of a better fit for you. 

Edited by QB Bills
  • Haha (+1) 1

Worst moments:  The Toronto abomination, done under the guise he was helping expand the brand, but all too obvious was the buttering up of the Toronto fanbase for a more permanent move.  Especially when he was pushing for a second game to be played there.

Miss him not, I won't.

Best day:  yesterday.