RD 7 - Austin Proehl WR NC

GG

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

This kid was 0.08s faster at the same size, no? 0.08s over 40 yards is practically irrelevant in actual football

I'm not against RR  just seems that 4.53 is slow for his size

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Ray Ray was 4.49 at his pro day, Proehl didn't get an invite to even run at the actual combine.

Didn't see that, let's hope they are both pro bowlers

15 minutes ago, Dr. Fong said:

Proehl would have been fine as an UDFA camp body. Just a waste of a pick, which at the second to last who really cares, but I just don’t get the thinking in the second half of this draft. 

That's because it's not like you envisioned.  It's Beane and McDermott's vision and we don't have the blueprints.  You just gotta believe.

Edited by Buffalo30
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

Everyone is saying he's a slot guy, and maybe he does project that position in the pros, but on this video and game in particular, he plays wide all the time. 

I like this pick. 

He looks like a NE Patriot receiver!     Daboll must have picked this kid...

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GG said:

Which OC has worked under a coach who's been destroying the league with a bunch of nobody slot utility receivers?

excellent take GG

23 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

So if you’re white, you automatically are an over achiever if you make it in the NFL at a skill position. Like all white pass rushers are high motor, lunch pale type... not real talent. Do you consider black scientists as over achievers in thinking capacity? I’m just wondering where we draw the line here. 

.......you know what they say about those high motor pale WRs

27 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Wes Welker wasn't drafted and had to walk on with the Chargers to even get a shot in the NFL.

It's unreal that every year people are bitter about 3rd day draft choices, as if ANY of them are guaranteed successes.

Hey I’m not complaining about it. Yes there are exceptions to the rule. I’m just saying people tend to overvalue our own players. This guy might end up being a very good player and I hope he does obviously. But at the end of the day he was the 70th rated WR in the draft and there’s the possibility he doesn’t even make the team. I’m not bitter at all I think we had a great draft. Beane didn’t reach for need, he drafted the best player in his board. I give our draft an A

41 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Wonder if this was a "favor" tyoe of pick.

If it works it’s inside information — if it flops it’s a favor. 

27 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Ray Ray was 4.49 at his pro day, Proehl didn't get an invite to even run at the actual combine.

Allegedly scouts clocked him (Ray) sub 4.4 at a workout 

Edited by NoSaint

44 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Here is the new message board hero. The new Reilly. I do really like the pick. There is something to be said for bloodlines and maybe he becomes Welker-Amendola-insert overachieving white receiver. I'm excted! 

After his year on the PS I am looking forward to his OTA's/camp.

39 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Wonder if this was a "favor" tyoe of pick.

It may have had an impact.

30 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

Everyone is saying he's a slot guy, and maybe he does project that position in the pros, but on this video and game in particular, he plays wide all the time. 

I like this pick. 

Great pick, can contribute. 

Watched a lot of UNC football last couple years.  Switzer was the go to guy for Trubisky in 2016 but Proehl made some real clutch catches as well.  His yd/rec was actually higher than Switzer that year.  Last year his ave was 16 yds/catch - came back from what was thought for sure to be season ending injury (broken clavicle) to play last two games

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

We draft a qb that thrives on throwing bombs.    How deep is our shot going to be? 

Not does seem contradicting to get the raw, deep ball qb and then stock up on intermediate route timing style options 

I’m curious to see it come together 

22 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Does he get to fulfill the duties of Mr. Irrelevant should he not be able to? 

Yes. If Mr. Irrelevant goes on to make something of himself, this kid will step up into the irrelevance spot that was vacated.

Absolutely love this pick.  Big time value for the next-to-last pick of the draft.  I would almost bet my mortgage he makes the roster and contributes, and significantly so by year 2.  I don't know who some clowns on the boards would prefer to see us get in the late 7th.

10 minutes ago, mjdotson said:

Absolutely love this pick.  Big time value for the next-to-last pick of the draft.  I would almost bet my mortgage he makes the roster and contributes, and significantly so by year 2.  I don't know who some clowns on the boards would prefer to see us get in the late 7th.

The talking heads pretty much said they'd be shocked if he didn't make our practice squad, maybe even the 53.

He was robbed of an ascendant senior year.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Yep just like Antonio Brown

Yep just like the majority of 7th rd draft picks. People always point out the exceptions to the rule. For every Antonio Brown there’s 100 7th rd draft picks that didn’t make it. It’s not even fair to compare this kid to Antonio Brown. Sit down and relax, guy

12 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Yep just like the majority of 7th rd draft picks. People always point out the exceptions to the rule. For every Antonio Brown there’s 100 7th rd draft picks that didn’t make it. It’s not even fair to compare this kid to Antonio Brown. Sit down and relax, guy

You can relax too.    Proehl was pretty solid with Trubisky.       Can find holes in the zone and get open just like his dad did.  

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

You can relax too.    Proehl was pretty solid with Trubisky.       Can find holes in the zone and get open just like his dad did.  

That’s great. If he’s even half as good as his father was then he’ll be a great player. All I’m saying is pump the breaks a little bit. He was the 2nd to last pick of the draft for a reason. I hope he does turn out to be the next great 7th rd WR. Stevie Johnson was also a 7th rd pick and he had a very productive career. But to sit here and think that he’s going to be that good is just crazy. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

So if you’re white, you automatically are an over achiever if you make it in the NFL at a skill position. Like all white pass rushers are high motor, lunch pale type... not real talent. Do you consider black scientists as over achievers in thinking capacity? I’m just wondering where we draw the line here. 

I was joking. Trying to be ironic, i must have failed. ?

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

It earned garbage status when they overpaid for a QB who was a sub 60 Passer against typically inferior competition.

Nathan Peterman had a 61% completion percentage against ACC elite level talent.   I guess that means he's awesome right?

Edited by Mike in Syracuse
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane says he’s known him since he was 8. Part of me thinks this is a “throwing a bone to my buddy” pick and part of me thinks he knows everything about Austin there is to know, and thinks he has potential. If there is anything we need, it’s good route runners!

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Here is the new message board hero. The new Reilly. I do really like the pick. There is something to be said for bloodlines and maybe he becomes Welker-Amendola-insert overachieving white receiver. I'm excted! 

I don’t know, he’s got a lot of competition this year with Teller and Phillips. 

2 hours ago, mjdotson said:

...better yet, have you read the pundits yapping how we wasted a "7th round pick" on a guy destined to be UDFA?.........never realized the value of a 7th (COUGH)....