Opinions on why we passed on Rosen?

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

Rosen was talked about as probably the best pure pocket quarterback in the draft. He was available for the Bills to grab but they passed. 

Any options on why exactly we didn't like him?

-Injury concerns?

-Attitude?

-Concerns about playing in the cold weather?

-Was he just overrated in general?

Thoughts?

They seemed to do due diligence in scouting him.

No one here knows what the interviews were like. For all we know, Rosen may have appeared uninterested in playing for the Bills.

There was no shortage of writers saying Rosen might fall in the draft.

Edited by OJABBA

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Carson Palmer and Aaron Rodgers are from California, aren't they?

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Actually, no, they are not.  That is a common yet enduring myth.  Rogers is from Ohio and Carson is also from Ohio.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Could you please shoot me your sources on this?

Way I see it, both were born in Cali and played their high school and college ball there and Palmer spent nearly all his life in Cali before being drafted. Looks like Rodgers spent a while in Oregon but was mostly in Cali.

58 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

So, a list of famous Ohioans without any mention of either Aaron Rodgers or Carson Palmer proves me wrong?That's where this link sends me. Wow. That's a pretty low standard of proof.

I'm not an expert on either guy. So I googled "biography" and the names Aaron Rodgers and Carson Palmer. I did this before I posted last time. And I found three or four quick sources on each guy, none of which had any mention of Ohio and all of which said both guys were born in California and played their high school and college ball there.

https://marriedbiography.com/carson-palmer-biography/

https://www.jockbio.com/Bios/CPalmer/CPalmer_bio.html

https://playerswiki.com/carson-palmer

https://www.biography.com/people/aaron-rodgers-20954015

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Aaron-Rodgers

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/aaron-rodgers-12058.php

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/A_Rodgers/A_Rodgers_bio.html

Again, I'm no expert on the personal life of either guy, but everything I can find says you're wrong.

So again, got any links that actually show that disproves any of this? Seems each was born in Cali and played their high school and college ball there. Honestly, I am willing to learn.

Edited by Thurman#1

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

So, a list of famous Ohioans without any mention of either Aaron Rodgers or Carson Palmer proves me wrong?That's where this link sends me. Wow. That's a pretty low standard of proof.

I'm not an expert on either guy. So I googled "biography" and the names Aaron Rodgers and Carson Palmer. I did this before I posted last time. And I found three or four quick sources on each guy, none of which had any mention of Ohio and all of which said both guys were born in California and played their high school and college ball there.

https://marriedbiography.com/carson-palmer-biography/

https://www.jockbio.com/Bios/CPalmer/CPalmer_bio.html

https://playerswiki.com/carson-palmer

https://www.biography.com/people/aaron-rodgers-20954015

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Aaron-Rodgers

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/aaron-rodgers-12058.php

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/A_Rodgers/A_Rodgers_bio.html

Again, I'm no expert, but everything I can find says you're wrong.

So again, got any links that actually show that disproves any of this? Seems each was born in Cali and played their high school and college ball there. Honestly, I am willing to learn.

#FakeNews

You can't blindly believe everything that you read.  Especially a website dedicated to bisexual athletes and a British encyclopedia.  The Brits still think football is played with no hands.

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

#FakeNews

You can't blindly believe everything that you read.  Especially a website dedicated to bisexual athletes and a British encyclopedia.  The Brits still think football is played with no hands.

Oh, you're a troll. No link, no proof and you're right. Got it. Hadn't realized.

Silly me for taking you seriously.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Rosen was talked about as probably the best pure pocket quarterback in the draft. He was available for the Bills to grab but they passed. 

-Injury concerns?

-Attitude?

Thoughts?

Injury concerns likely played a factor.

Attitude likely did not play a factor.

Cold weather concerns, doubtful.

Overrated?  No, he is closest to pro ready as a pure pocket passer.

2 concussions last year plus shoulder injury a couple of years ago likely played a factor, but more important - Allen was viewed as the best, can't pass up prospect. 

I think they don't want to invest in the O line. Sounds like rosen would be great with an o line and can compensate with okay WRs. While Allen has great pocket presence and is more elusive and dependent on a stud WR or 2. 

If you really want to beef up yourbO line, things get expensive.

I still really wanted Rosen tho

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

3 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

-Injury concerns?

-Attitude?

Thoughts?

Probably a combination of all those things. I would add Rosen’s lack of mobility hurt him some as well. Plus, this regime may have just liked the long term upside of Allen better. 

I said it a couple of weeks ago that Mayfield and Rosen were not their guys.  They didn't fit the culture that they built and continue to build here.  As much as I wanted Rosen, I just knew they were not going to take him.  Still made me mad, but it's the choice that was made.  The only thing I can hope is that the Cam Newton plan from Carolina works out for Allen and that the coaching and game plans are so superb that his present weaknesses are hidden enough for him to be successful.  I don't believe they will rush him but OTAs and TC will give us a better picture.  Given his competition, I can see him starting by week 8 or 9.

I think both are likely busts. Rosen’s ability is vastly overrated. Trading up to 2 for Darnold was the move if it was true that they had the ammo to do it. If the Bills kept their 2nds I’d feel okay even though I have my doubts about Allen. I don’t like that every one acknowledges he is a project, yet our Oline is in shambles, our receivers are bottom tier, our offensive coaches are unproven at best (awful at worst), and our only stud Shady is in his last year or so. They just put Allen in an impossible situation. I love the LB they got, but that doesn’t help Allen.

Attitude. Rosen is no fighter and he's soft. The arrogance is a facade for that mental softness. Rick kid, born into wealth, playing football in posh Los Angeles. It's about as un-process as it gets.

I don't like the Allen pick but he himself is a grinder. Had to work hard to even get to play for Wyoming. Middle class upbringing. There's mental toughness and work ethic there and willingness to do what it takes.

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

he's scrawny and miserable

with a very punchable face. I just realized that today after seeing his goofy mug in a photo which revealed all his handsome features.

As others have suggested, durability was likely the most significant concern with Rosen, but the OP implicitly presupposes that choosing Allen was more a function of not choosing Rosen.  Perhaps Beane actually thinks Allen will end up being the better qb or at least the better fit for Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Actually, no, they are not.  That is a common yet enduring myth.  Rogers is from Ohio and Carson is also from Ohio.

Not sure if serious?

Carson Palmer and Aaron Rodgers are both Cali boys through and through. Both born and raised there, just like Josh Allen.

Local radio stations in LA are blowing up with Rosen debates. My opinion is injury history had the biggest factor, but also old school people (owners, coaches etc) are scared to death of his political and personal opinions. I just wanted him because of his ridiculous accuracy. Something we may never see from Allen, no matter how much mentoring he gets....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Carson Palmer and Aaron Rodgers are from California, aren't they?

Tom Brady

Warren Moon

Alex Smith

Jeff Garcia

Derek Carr

Tony Romo

(prob a bunch more)

3 hours ago, mileena said:

A lot of teams passed on this guy. We weren't the only one. They all saw the same thing we did. Cleveland didn't even meet with him.

There were rumors he didn't want to go to the Browns, and that he considered staying in school another year to avoid them.

They probably just saw that and said "pass"

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I really hope you're trying to troll.

great piece by Albert Breer from SI.com today in which he details why teams were legitimately scared off by one element of Rosen's persona: like Jay Cutler's downfall, Rosen will not allow himself to be coached by someone he deems not as smart as he.

If I can find the damn video, I'll post it.....it was a strong indictment vs. Rosen

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

As others have suggested, durability was likely the most significant concern with Rosen, but the OP implicitly presupposes that choosing Allen was more a function of not choosing Rosen.  Perhaps Beane actually thinks Allen will end up being the better qb or at least the better fit for Buffalo.

I get a sense sometimes that on offense, McDermott would rather have a team of plow horses than Arabian Stallions.   Typical D-coordinator worldview...

5 minutes ago, BuffaninATL said:

great piece by Albert Breer from SI.com today in which he details why teams were legitimately scared off by one element of Rosen's persona: like Jay Cutler's downfall, Rosen will not allow himself to be coached by someone he deems not as smart as he.

If I can find the damn video, I'll post it.....it was a strong indictment vs. Rosen

He only scored a 29 on the wonderlic, he is not a genius by any means. The guy comes off as an arrogant entitled douchebag imo.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Local radio stations in LA are blowing up with Rosen debates. My opinion is injury history had the biggest factor, but also old school people (owners, coaches etc) are scared to death of his political and personal opinions. I just wanted him because of his ridiculous accuracy. Something we may never see from Allen, no matter how much mentoring he gets....

Old school people getting riled up about him was my favorite thing about Rosen. Next was his accuracy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

-Injury concerns?

-Attitude?

Thoughts?

Same reasons 8 other teams passed on him. Injuries problems and apparently he didn't do well during his pre-draft visits. Peter King said that if the Bills had the first pick in the draft, they would have taken Allen. It wasn't a case of what was wrong with Rosen, they clearly think Allen is far superior prospect. I know many disagree but either Beane has an undiagnosed neurological deficit or perhaps Allen really is the better prospect.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

-Injury concerns?

-Attitude?

Thoughts?

After snorting the blow he got from giving up ssooooo much he wrote the wrong name

He's a D**k.

"No, you mean he is too smart for this league, coaches, players and some fan bases and they will all feel threatened and challenged by him."

No.  He's a D**k.

"Ummyou are confused.  Jim Kelly, Brette Favre and Aaron Rodgers are all, or once were considered "difficult" at times, but like Rosen their talent far out ways the complicated nature of their personality.  Plus some players and coaches stand by him."

No confusion.  He's a U.S., Grade A, straight up, D**k, which has been getting little play in the media and attributable to other reasons for disdain or concern over him, but even though he champions good causes off the field he is generally and genuinely  an unlikable person.  College guys like him, but pros won't go to war in the trenches with him and the Bills have weeded out the culture of guys who lie to this city's and team's face about wanting to be here and trying their best, but believe they are bigger and better and deserve more than what we have to offer, and therefore he would have been here 5 years, tops.

This has nothing to do with post draft comments...and believe me when I say he was my guy, but what I came to understand more than a few days leading up to last night, is that the above is true.  He is a tremendous talent and will likely be good, but someplace else, because in the end someplace else is where he wants to be.

...because he's a D**k.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Bills4life1924 said:

Athleticism prob had something to do with it as well. Allen can run/extend plays. Rosen can work the pocket but is lacking athletic measurables. 

Listening to Greg Cosell talk about him, he made the point that Wyoming ran a very Carolina Panthers-like offense with designed run elements for Allen similar to how Newton is used. 

It may just be that Beane sees Allen as potentially a very Newton-like prospect (hopefully without the sulks) and McDermott/Daboll scored Allen more highly than Rosen because of that potential for them.

4 hours ago, Big C said:

I didn't catch who was talking on my local sports radio, but he was a guy involved in scouting and drafting at the NFL level. He said that concussions are sometimes an issue that takes a player off the board completely. Maybe it was an issue for some teams in this case.

Beane said something to the effect that different teams look at medical issues with different eyes, so that could be a factor too.

I just wonder why it's seen as more of a factor for Rosen than for Mayfield, who had 2 within 3 games last year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

He's a D**k.

"No, you mean he is too smart for this league, coaches, players and some fan bases and they will all feel threatened and challenged by him."

No.  He's a D**k.

"Ummyou are confused.  Jim Kelly, Brette Favre and Aaron Rodgers are all, or once were considered "difficult" at times, but like Rosen their talent far out ways the complicated nature of their personality.  Plus some players and coaches stand by him."

No confusion.  He's a U.S., Grade A, straight up, D**k, which has been getting little play in the media and attributable to other reasons for disdain or concern over him, but even though he champions good causes off the field he is generally and genuinely  an unlikable person.  College guys like him, but pros won't go to war in the trenches with him and the Bills have weeded out the culture of guys who lie to this city's and team's face about wanting to be here and trying their best, but believe they are bigger and better and deserve more than what we have to offer, and therefore he would have been here 5 years, tops.

This has nothing to do with post draft comments...and believe me when I say he was my guy, but what I came to understand more than a few days leading up to last night, is that the above is true.  He is a tremendous talent and will likely be good, but someplace else, because in the end someplace else is where he wants to be.

...because he's a D**k.

he just needs to throw the pigskin man.

4 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

he just needs to throw the pigskin man.

I couldn't agree more, Peterman, and like I said he was my guy.  However, the question was about why he wasn't here.

Additionally, all Sammy had to do was catch the ball.

All Gilmore had to do was knock the ball down.

All Dareus had to do was eat space.

They weren't worth the headache and the expense of keeping someone here that didn't want to be here.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BuffaninATL said:

I don't know about "will not allow himself to be" or how Breer would know?

Trent Dilfer, who has become an advocate and supporter of Rosen, actually had what I thought was a strong indictment of NFL coaches and NFL QB rooms...he talked about how Rosen will demand to know the why and the wherefore, and that a lot of NFL coaches 1) have egos and will not accept being challenged 2) don't really KNOW they "why and wherefore", that they "got it from someone else" and don't really understand it themselves...he talked about QB coaches who never played QB and who don't really know the reality of what it's like being out there, and himself sitting in the QB room thinking "I'm 27 and I've forgotten more than this guy knows".  When asked "if a team calls Rosen's name, will you be able to tell if it's a good match or trouble?" and he said "a-YUP!" very briskly.

I think that was behind Jim Mora's comments that Darnold would be a better match for Cleveland than Rosen.  My personal opinion was that the first time Rosen questioned Hue Jackson and Todd Haley, there would be a giant Earth Shattering Kaboom a la Marvin the Martian.   

I think that did legitimately scare off a bunch of teams - "is this guy gonna respect me, or is he gonna think I'm serving him 'weak sauce' ?"

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I couldn't agree more, Peterman, and like I said he was my guy.  However, the question was about why he wasn't here.

Additionally, all Sammy had to was catch the ball.

All Gilmore had to do was knock the ball down.

All Dareus had to do was eat space.

They weren't worth the headache and the expense of keeping someone here that didn't want to be here.

true true true, I think he has an Albert Haynseworth type career. Which would be worth the (JMO) 5 or so years on the rookie contract.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

-Injury concerns?

-Attitude?

Thoughts?

I think Beane likes upside and physical traits in a qb (see newton, Cam). 

Theres something to be said for boom boom or bust VS just reliably decent to good 

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know about "will not allow himself to be" or how Breer would know?

Trent Dilfer, who has become an advocate and supporter of Rosen, actually had what I thought was a strong indictment of NFL coaches and NFL QB rooms...he talked about how Rosen will demand to know the why and the wherefore, and that a lot of NFL coaches 1) have egos and will not accept being challenged 2) don't really KNOW they "why and wherefore", that they "got it from someone else" and don't really understand it themselves...he talked about QB coaches who never played QB and who don't really know the reality of what it's like being out there, and himself sitting in the QB room thinking "I'm 27 and I've forgotten more than this guy knows".  When asked "if a team calls Rosen's name, will you be able to tell if it's a good match or trouble?" and he said "a-YUP!" very briskly.

I think that was behind Jim Mora's comments that Darnold would be a better match for Cleveland than Rosen.  My personal opinion was that the first time Rosen questioned Hue Jackson and Todd Haley, there would be a giant Earth Shattering Kaboom a la Marvin the Martian.   

I think that did legitimately scare off a bunch of teams - "is this guy gonna respect me, or is he gonna think I'm serving him 'weak sauce' ?"

Breer is very well connected and I have come to respect he & Peter King for this reason. Your comments about Dilfer are in line with Breer, generally speaking.