How long do you give Allen?

Bakin

Bills fans don’t have any patience for QB development. 

And while I’m somewhat indifferent about the selection of Allen - clearly he’s a good kid, prototypical size, rocket arm, loads of potential - my fear is that our fans will give him 8 games and then set his house on fire if he doesn’t look like the 2nd coming of Elway. 

How many Bills fans would have been ok with Goff starting year 2 - he would have been written off as a bust by 90% of us. 

So my question to you is - assuming JA starts 2018 - how long do you give Him?  6 games?  3 years?  

How long can you, as a fan, hold off from the bust or boom label for our potential franchise QB?

Edited by Bakin

Just now, Bakin said:

And while I’m somewhat indifferent about the selection of Allen - clearly he’s a good kid, prototypical size, rocket arm, loads of potential - my fear is that our fans will give him 8 games and then set his house on fire. 

How many Bills fans would have been ok with Goff starting year 2 - he would have been written off as a bust by 90% of us. 

So my question to you is - assuming JA starts 2018 - how long do you give Him?  6 games?  3 years?  

How long can you, as a fan, hold off from the bust or boom label for our potential franchise QB?

It's gonna be a looooooong offseason.

Hard to say, but we also need to remember Rosen suffered two concussions already.  That may be a problem for him going forward in the NFL.  I think Allen is more durable, so you might throw him behind our crappy line earlier and give him this season if he beats out AJ.

Edited by Murdox

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I have a feeling we'll know who he is in 6 games. That's about how long Manuel got. However, my hope is that McCarron makes Cinci look like fools and Allen never plays a snap.

It's easier to give someone like Allen alot longer than EJ. EJ had no elite skills. Being that Allen is a height/weight/arm strength prototype, he will naturally get more time imo.

1 minute ago, Murdox said:

Hard to say, but we also need to remember Rosen suffered two concussions already.  That may be a problem for him going forward in the NFL.  I think Allen is more durable, so you might throw him behind our crappy line earlier and give him this season if he beats out AJ.

Besides the mentions of Rosen's general douchebaggery, injuries were likely a big factor in why McBeane went with Allen. Even draft grade comparisons put his comp as Bradford. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

It's easier to give someone like Allen alot longer than EJ. EJ had no elite skills. Being that Allen is a height/weight/arm strength prototype, he will naturally get more time imo.

Besides the mentions of Rosen's general douchebaggery, injuries were likely a big factor in why McBeane went with Allen. Even draft grade comparisons put his comp as Bradford. 

Manuel had prototypical size too. He's a huge dude.

1 minute ago, greeneblitz said:

I'd bet money he starts on day one, if not day one within 4 or 5 games, we essentially have 2 scrubs that have like 4 games between them, he'll play.

He's not ready to start. He's not playing. 

13 minutes ago, Bakin said:

And while I’m somewhat indifferent about the selection of Allen - clearly he’s a good kid, prototypical size, rocket arm, loads of potential - my fear is that our fans will give him 8 games and then set his house on fire if he doesn’t look like the 2nd coming of Elway. 

The people who don't like him have already given up on him and declared him a failure.  He will remain a failure in their eyes until he proves them wrong.  So he's already failed in their eyes.

I am willing to give him at least 2-3 years, as long as we see some potential and he at least looks like he has a chance of making it as our NFL starting QB. 

All I want to see is some improvement over time. I was to see Progression, not regression. If he just slowly continues to improve I will be happy and continue to give him time. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He's not playing this year. Accept that.

great. so on top of having the worst mechanics and accuracy out of all his peers drafted in the 1st round, he will be a whole year behind in terms of experience from most of them. 

Mayfield/Rosen/Darnold are all day 1 starters. Peterman will outplay Allen in camp. 

I think this is potentially another EJ situation. Allen is an inaccurate passer with a mediocre completion rate. He waaaay overthrows and underthrows open receivers when he's under pressure. He has no one to sit behind for a year or two to learn the game and improve his skills, and if AJ doesn't come through for us, the Bills will throw Allen to the wolves behind a rickety O-line and mostly mediocre receivers.

I will be surprised if Allen turns out to be a franchise QB. I think the upside is limited to a "hopefully he won't throw the game away" QB.

I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed that the Bills show I'm wrong.

40 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I have a feeling we'll know who he is in 6 games. That's about how long Manuel got. However, my hope is that McCarron makes Cinci look like fools and Allen never plays a snap.

AJM could be the next Jimmy G.......lets see what he’s got.  Beane signed him pretty cheap compared to most, he might look like a genius when all is said and done.