With Ritchie Retiring, is the Season Over?

Season Over Without Ritchie?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Season Over Without Ritchie?

Honestly this news hasn't altered my expectations for next season which weren't high to begin with. Took a miracle to get into the playoffs. We are more than a quarterback away , folks. Not against trading up but not to second as then cost vs risk in my mind too great.

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

With our recent signings we are just under 63M for 2019.  So we are not as flush with cash as we were a month ago.  63M is not a lot with the probable holes to fill on our roster.

Who fills their roster out with expensive front loaded  FA contracts.. 63M is plenty to make significant improvements.. but lets cross 2019's bridge a little later.

Just now, What a Tuel said:

What could possibly go wrong with not prioritizing the QB position? It's not like there would be a continued lack of success for the organization over decades...right?

I am just posting because I want to be part of this when it is quoted for the absurdity it is, and the posters who supported are outed next year.

Good.
Let's go with that; I'm saying that this draft will produce numerous, starting QBs in the NFL. I'm saying that before you lost your Pro Bowl G, there was plenty of noise regarding staying right at 12, building up a roster, and recognizing that there was little difference between possibly 2 QBs and all the rest.

I'm saying that the facts have now changed. You just moved into a world where that Pro Bowl guy is gone and now the draft picks from 12-65 suddenly have become immensely more important to you and the differences between the 5th QB in the draft and the 7th are getting less and the importance of building an already weak roster have become incredibly more important.

And you can out this post next year. I never, ever hide from my opinions and they stay pretty consistent.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Good.
Let's go with that; I'm saying that this draft will produce numerous, starting QBs in the NFL. I'm saying that before you lost your Pro Bowl G, there was plenty of noise regarding staying right at 12, building up a roster, and recognizing that there was little difference between possibly 2 QBs and all the rest.

I'm saying that the facts have now changed. You just moved into a world where that Pro Bowl guy is gone and now the draft picks from 12-65 suddenly have become immensely more important to you and the differences between the 5th QB in the draft and the 7th are getting less and the importance of building an already weak roster have become incredibly more important.

And you can out this post next year. I never, ever hide from my opinions and they stay pretty consistent.

1. Moving up to 6 or 7 will not cost many of our picks. But now I see you are suggesting either reaching for Rudolph/Jackson, or trading up from 22nd for one. 

2. Trading up to 2 will cost a few picks. The line problem (if there is one, since Beane seemed to play hardball with Incognito anyway), will not get vastly better with 1? of those picks used for it. (1 QB, 1 OL, 1 LB, 1 WR?)

3. Beane should be putting himself in the position to pick whichever QB he has determined will be the most successful candidate. Not whatever QB is convenient to our offensive line situation. 

4. The god damn QB position should not matter less because of the offensive line. And I quote "the differences between the 5th QB in the draft and the 7th are getting less". That is not how I want a QB. "Eh, any of those 3 guys will do." 

5. This is very aggravating.

Edited by What a Tuel

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Sorry to see you go.  The forum was more interesting with all those closet Fish fans trolling here.

Your zingers are even worse than your threads, and I didnt think anything could get worse than your threads. Congrats!

20 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

1. Moving up to 6 or 7 will not cost many of our picks. But now I see you are suggesting either reaching for Rudolph/Jackson, or trading up from 22nd for one. 

2. Trading up to 2 will cost a few picks. The line problem (if there is one, since Beane seemed to play hardball with Incognito anyway), will not get vastly better with 1? of those picks used for it. (1 QB, 1 OL, 1 LB, 1 WR?)

A few? By that logic, the Titanic had some leakage problems. I can cede, on some level the rest of this point. I've made it myself; you need only be right once after you have solved the QB problem and more to the point, you are likely to be only truly right twice in a draft.

I'd point out this: the Bills were extraordinarily lucky last year in the draft. Teams ordinarily don't repeat that luck in back to back years; reducing the number of picks you have
should logically reduce the likelihood that you'll be successful on hitting on two picks, in consecutive years. It gets back to the idea of "some". 

3. Beane should be putting himself in the position to pick whichever QB he has determined will be the most successful candidate. Not whatever QB is convenient to our offensive line situation. 

On some level, you have to consider what the choices are. After perhaps 2, maybe 3 QBs, the remainder are close. Too close to call. It makes the marginal value of reaching in any way to get them less in light of new roster positions to fill.

4. The god damn QB position should not matter less because of the offensive line. And I quote "the differences between the 5th QB in the draft and the 7th are getting less". That is not how I want a QB. "Eh, any of those 3 guys will do." 

Unfortunately for what you want, that is precisely how the draft board works. And it strikes me that this is precisely how a Beane draft board works; a value is set, and you don't get emotional about how much you need a QB. It shouldn't surprise any Bills fan to see Roquan get his named called at 12.

5. This is very aggravating.

Don't be aggravated. It's not worth it. Cheers. 

As I say, I have no problem in standing by my points. I don't think they are illogical, hasty or poorly thought out. Others are free to disagree.

44 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Good.

Brave man.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Don't be aggravated. It's not worth it. Cheers. 

As I say, I have no problem in standing by my points. I don't think they are illogical, hasty or poorly thought out. Others are free to disagree.

Not really aggravated at the discussion, just need the draft to get here.

I don't disagree with some of your points but I do disagree that he can't get emotional about the QB. I don't think emotional is the right word though. I think determined is more like it. The QB position is undeniably the most crucial part of an NFL team. Beane should be determined to get the guy he wants. If he wants Rudolph then fine. If he wants Rosen, then he should not be worried about moving up. He should not settle for his 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th choice because that is likely to end up being the wrong choice. (unless he is extremely lucky aka Belichick).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Should Beane now STAY at 12 and take McGlinchey, take Will Hernandez at 22 and then take Mike White/Kyle Lauletta in the 2nd and start McCarron next season?

Something in your plan sounds very attractive to me, maybe only because you seem to be a very persuasive Detective!;)

We have WAY too many other holes to fill. I'd have been surprised if we won 6 games in 2018 anyways. We really are a likely candidate for worst OL in the league now. The best OL on our roster right now is Dawkins and he is below avg. He also needs to move to RT or G. The rest of the OL is a disaster and don't bother trying to tell me that Groy is good. Wood was one of the 2 or 3 worst starting C's in the NFL and had been for years and Groy couldn't take his job? I bet Shady is hoping he gets traded. He could be in for his toughest year yet.

Edited by GreggTX

50 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I don't disagree with some of your points but I do disagree that he can't get emotional about the QB. I don't think emotional is the right word though. I think determined is more like it. The QB position is undeniably the most crucial part of an NFL team. Beane should be determined to get the guy he wants. If he wants Rudolph then fine. If he wants Rosen, then he should not be worried about moving up. He should not settle for his 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th choice because that is likely to end up being the wrong choice. (unless he is extremely lucky aka Belichick).

100% agree. QB remains the #1 priority by a mile. Remember that we just dropped Richie's salary too so we will likely be adding another veteran OL soon.

You guys are panicking over Richie. LMAO. This team had no offense before they lost Richie. The offense is not going to do anything this year even with Richie. They just don't have the talent. You guys don't understand how much crap was covered up by Tyrod being a runner. I don't see how any QB they have on the roster, or any of the top rookies, except Mayfield or Jackson can do anything with this offense. You guys are just now seeing that because they lost an old overrated guard who got beat all the time in pass pro? Richie was only smoke and mirrors because he could pull in the RPO. They aren't running a RPO with Peterman or McCarron. Who ever pays QB this year is going to get killed if he has to play in the pocket and that's true of whoever they draft.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Should Beane now STAY at 12 and take McGlinchey, take Will Hernandez at 22 and then take Mike White/Kyle Lauletta in the 2nd and start McCarron next season?

Right, b/c everyone knows the magic ingredient that makes any football go is the left guard.

:lol:

46 minutes ago, par73 said:

Yes, a 34-year old guard retires, and the season is over. RIP, 2018.

A guard who was on the last year of his contract, and who the team threatened with cutting in order to get him to take a pay cut, less than a month ago.

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

He may have been one of the best pulling guards in the league last year..go rewatch some of the games that you have on your dvr.

Because the Bills ran a RPO and teams have to account for Tyrod. People don't understand how much crap was covered up by Tyrod because they hate him. Watch Richie in pass pro.

Edited by CuddyDark

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I think the devastating news of Richie retiring has left the team in such a state of peril, that Pegula will ultimately fold the team or put in the paperwork to move so he can start fresh.

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

I don't have the market cornered on being right. But as my wife LOVES to point out to me, everyone has the right to my opinion. 

With all intended self-deprecation. We disagree on some of the finer points and I can live with that. QB is clearly the most important position not only in football but in all sports; I'm not that stupid but only bordering on it. 

Bring on the draft. Before another Bills player retires, for chrissakes.

Ritchie Incognito retiring changes nothing for me. 

I was already expecting the Bills to take a step backwards in 2018, and I was not anticipating a return to the playoffs.

Making the postseason was an unexpected bonus last year.  But  I did not consider it a mark of a massively improved team.  We got extremely lucky with a 9-7 record and an incredibly weak AFC.  In most years, we would have been sitting at home watching the Jaguars play someone else. 

This team has been in rebuild mode since the day Brandon Beane traded away Sammy Watkins.  Bringing back guys like Incognito and Kyle Williams was nice for veteran leadership.  But neither of these guys will be around if/when the Bills finally turn this thing around and become contenders. 

5 hours ago, KGun12TD said:

I just had a drink with a really short guy in a top hat and a green outfit...he said we will be fine and there is something at the end of the rainbow for us. Not sure what he meant, but he seemed really nice.

Was it the Great Gazoo? Tell him he ruined the Flintstones.

• Haha (+1) 1