Baker Mayfield

4 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I hate talking like this but he's a culture changer. He immediately wins the locker room and the fans. If he was two inches taller he'd be consensus #1 pick.

Totally agree.

If you put Baker Mayfield's skill set in Josh Rosen's body, he's the consensus #1 QB.

On the flip side, if you put Josh Allen's skill set in Baker Mayfield's body, I'm not sure he gets drafted. 

• Like (+1) 3

i listened to all the radio stuff today and it appears that the browns may in fact draft allen at one. it does make some sense in that they have tt and stanton to buy them the time to get him up to speed.....which puts us in a better spot for baker. however , again, i'm not in for a bidding war when i can possibly take rudolph. i'm sticking with my prediction. our 2018 qb corp. is a.j./nate and rudolph and i'd be damn proud of that.

btw , i don't get all the poo on a.j. he could be just as good as jimmy g. i'm sick of all the b.s. of why didn't he unseat dalton...well maybe for the same reason jimmy g. didn't unseat brady. those orgs. were dedicated to their franchise guys that they were paying.

on another point ....as well as jimmy g. looks, he didn't win two national championships at eastern ill.

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i listened to all the radio stuff today and it appears that the browns may in fact draft allen at one. it does make some sense in that they have tt and stanton to buy them the time to get him up to speed.....which puts us in a better spot for baker. however , again, i'm not in for a bidding war when i can possibly take rudolph. i'm sticking with my prediction. our 2018 qb corp. is a.j./nate and rudolph and i'd be damn proud of that.

btw , i don't get all the poo on a.j. he could be just as good as jimmy g. i'm sick of all the b.s. of why didn't he unseat dalton...well maybe for the same reason jimmy g. didn't unseat brady. those orgs. were dedicated to their franchise guys that they were paying.

on another point ....as well as jimmy g. looks, he didn't win two national championships at eastern ill.

If the Browns pass on Darnold it's a miracle and you find a way to trade up for him, period.

6 minutes ago, billspro said:

If the Browns pass on Darnold it's a miracle and you find a way to trade up for him, period.

but that's the thing, that would make the giants sit at 2. they would maybe take darnold over rosen as the heir apparent to eli. ....leaving the jets to take rosen or mayfield....which is cool because if the jets take rosen, maybe the browns are open to trading no.4 ...or the broncos decide to go with another player...ie. nelson...which puts mayfield in play at 6

I'm having a little trouble understanding why people don't like Mayfield.  Worked himself from a walk-on (TWICE) to the Heisman Trophy winner.  Nobody will ever question his compete level.  He was a 3 star recruit.  Nobody ever handed him anything. He started as a true freshman walk-on at Texas Tech when the starter got hurt and went 5-0 before he got hurt himself.  They didn't give him the job back when he was healthy and they also signed another QB to a scholarship which in reality would have put him minimally 3rd on the depth chart as a non-scholarship player.  If it was my kid, and he played that well and they did that I advise him to leave too.  Especially if another program was willing to give him a real chance.  He bet on himself.  Again.  I like it.

I'm not sure I get the uproar over planting the flag at the Shoe.  That feels like a faux controversy for me.  Ditto grabbing himself and shouting F you at a Kansas team that refused to shake his hand in the pregame and cheap shotted him during the game? Does he need to reign it in a little?  Yeah probably.  Do I particularly want a shrinking violet at QB?  No.  Is it particularly fair to Mayfield that the camera was focused on him and we got no perspective of what the Kansas players were doing and saying?  A little. 

I don't know, I'm not beating the drum to get him, I'm worried about his height but the other stuff for me just seems minor and not really an issue.  Even the arrest.  I saw the video.  We have no trouble honoring players who have done far far far more egregious things than that.  I'm willing to wager that most of the people on this board have done more egregious things than that, we just managed to avoid an arrest out of dumb luck or a cops generosity. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

"My source for Sabres information tells me something about the Bills"

Jeremy White is a certified moron.

Except the offices are linked entirely and he’s one of the most well connected to the Pegula Omni-office, as they call it.  Also, their entire admin team that does the travel and arrangements for scouts...   shared responsibility.  Also they have an analytics department that does both hockey and football.  Also Russ Brandon and his ENTIRE STAFF.  So yea....   there’s that.

Just now, Klaista2k said:

Mayfield has bust written all over him.

I'd much rather have Darnold, Rosen, or Allen. 

Quite the opposite, if we’re talking about the latest analytics testing the NFL is using, that has replaced the standardized wonderlic.  He’s a once in a generation type talent, according to it.  I posted a link to it in this thread.  I was just as surprised by anyone.   The highest bust potential goes to Josh Allen, according to the same test.  

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, DFT said:

Quite the opposite, if we’re talking about the latest analytics testing the NFL is using, that has replaced the standardized wonderlic.  He’s a once in a generation type talent, according to it.  I posted a link to it in this thread.  I was just as surprised by anyone.   The highest bust potential goes to Josh Allen, according to the same test.  

When I watch Mayfield on film I just don't know if I see his talents translating to the NFL.

He's undersized and not very athletic either. Not exactly the best combination for an NFL qb. 

Edited by Klaista2k

The thing that I really like about Baker and most great QB's have is his improvisation skills when the play breaks down. He'll sometimes bail on the pocket a little sooner rather than later but I've seen him multiple times take a step to the left or to the right or up, dink his shoulder and re-adjust. All the great ones do this and Mayfield is a master at it.

16 hours ago, Logic said:

My personal opinion (I don't have any mysterious "sources"): Bills would be happy with Darnold, Mayfield, or Rosen. 

I don't think they want Allen (they traded out of the chance to draft Mahomes last year, and Mahomes and Allen are very similar). I don't think they want Jackson ("it's a drop back league and I'm committed to that", said McDermott) or Rudolph (they didn't stockpile picks to take the 6th best QB in the class).

I think they like Darnold's flawless intangibles, Rosen's excellent play from the pocket, and Mayfield's stellar accuracy and leadership abilities. I think they'd be happy with any of the three. I think they'll wait until draft night, see who falls, and trade up to get him.

I WILL say this...I find the lack of "Mayfield to Buffalo" talk so far to be pretty interesting (a Jeremy White tweet doesn't really count, in my book). We've heard high placed "sources" stating interest in Darnold, Allen, and Rosen. We've even recently heard Lamar Jackson talk. But the silence around a Mayfield-Buffalo connection has been deafening. Not only that, but Beane recently, when asked about QBs, mentioned the importance of "does a team rally behind a guy?" and mentioned that Jake Delhomme was a "12 out of 10 in the leadership department". Who does that sound like to you from this draft class? And does anyone but me think that "two-time walk-on turned Heisman winner" would be appealing as heck to a guy like Sean McDermott?! Mayfield is my personal top choice in this draft, and I hope the Bills see things the way I do.

Great post!! 

Personally, I am a Rosen fan just purely based on how he throws from the pocket.... but I will admit I have my concerns about his durability and personality as far as being someone that others want to follow.  Mayfield's height scares me but really like you stated, his personality just screams Buffalo to me and people follow his lead.  If McBeane think Mayfield is the guy, I will be all in on him.

• Like (+1) 1

I've said in other places, much of this depends on how much you take at face value Beane's comments as far back as May when he discussed what he wanted in a QB. Another, more thorough OP created a thread with those linked articles. But some takeaways:

1. Tall / Big

2. Strong Arm

3. Accurate

4. Pocket Passer / Pocket Awareness

5. Good Intangibles / Character / Leadership

6. Played in a Pro Style Offense

Now, looking at all of those qualities, NONE of the "major 6" fit the mold of all of these traits, so it becomes about which traits Beane and his team believe can either be overcome or compensated for by doing well in other things....one thing you can't change no matter how much work or time you put in: height.

I'm not crapping on Mayfield, I'm just reminding people before they go punching the clown to the notion of having Mayfield in a Bills uniform, that these were Beane's words and he did say there are some things that can be improved in very small amounts, arm strength being one of them and accuracy to a similar extent. But height and intangibles are two things he omitted by lacking discussion on what can be improved or enhanced. Just food for thought.....

Just now, MJS said:

Which guy did you mean, exactly?

“THE GUY” who needed another new thread?

Was he falling behind in the arms race? 

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

He's really a guy

Can you personally confirm that?  

:)

• Haha (+1) 1