Where will Sammy Watkins land in FA?

LA Grant

And what kind of deal will he get? Someone is going to overpay for his potential.

My bet is the Cowboys give him the stupid contract he's looking for. Dez hasn't been "Dez" for a couple seasons and they don't have much WR talent behind him either. Sammy seems like a natural fit for Jerry World.

I could also see the Chargers, Packers, Falcons, or Saints making bids for him. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m going to say SF and it will be 4 years $56M with $32M guaranteed (I think that’s roughly what I said earlier)

I think that's way too rich. Less than 10 MM per year is what I am guessing. A world of potential but inconsistent production to show for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I think that's way too rich. Less than 10 MM per year is what I am guessing. A world of potential but inconsistent production to show for it. 

Be prepared to be surprised. His contract will be in the neighborhood of the Davante Adams contract. The WR class is bad and there are teams with a ton of cap space that need WR help. He will end up with roughly $14M a year. 

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Evan's signed a 82M contract to stay with Tampa Bay.  Drafted in the same year as Watkins.  

3 minutes ago, gr8billsfan said:

Rams resign. If not he goes to the Dolphins 

I don't think the Rams need him, certainly not at what he's going to cost. He was basically behind Kupp and Woods last season in targets, IIRC. 

Dolphins would be possible, but I'd rather not have to deal with any kind of "Sammy's Revenge" storyline, so let's hope not.

1 hour ago, WMDman said:

I think it’s either the niners or da bears

Both need WR help, that's for sure... if he goes to SF, that's a potent offense if Goodwin & Sammy can stay healthy (a big "if"). 

I would bet against the Bears just because Trubisky is such a question mark and I'm sure Watkins is looking for a steadier QB situation (though that's probably second to $$$).

Sammy would seem to be more of a West coast guy than Chicago. 

IF Sammy gets $12 mil + a year for 4 years that’s just head shaking. Sammy had had one season over a 1000 yards and it was barely over. Sammy has never put up more than 9 touchdowns in a season. Sammy is Peerless Price not Eric Moulds. Paying Sammy number one wide receiver money will not  be good for any team. Sammy will get a good deal. At what point does the league stop saying the word ‘potential’ about a player and say he is what he is? 

2 minutes ago, BillsWest said:

I think it will be the 49ers.  They have money to spend.

Definitely a realistic possibility. If that does happen, and Jimmy keeps looking as real as he did toward the end of last season, and Sammy stays healthy, the NFC West will be between SF and LA for the division. 

Arizona is in a total rebuild. Seahawks will be competitive but they're also doing so much retooling on defense that they'll almost certainly take another step backwards. 

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

IF Sammy gets $12 mil + a year for 4 years that’s just head shaking. Sammy had had one season over a 1000 yards and it was barely over. Sammy has never put up more than 9 touchdowns in a season. Sammy is Peerless Price not Eric Moulds. Paying Sammy number one wide receiver money will not  be good for any team. Sammy will get a good deal. At what point does the league stop saying the word ‘potential’ about a player and say he is what he is? 

I don't disagree but the other thing is that a receiver with his "pedigree" almost never hits the open market. There are too many WR-thirsty teams who will pay, including several teams with good QBs.

That's why I think the Cowboys are going to be among the front runners. Dak may not be "the guy" longterm, he took a big step back this year, but they need somebody at WR and it's not a sure thing that Dez Bryant comes back at all; even if he does, he's been limited the last two years or so. A fat contract for a potential superstar WR seems like a Jerry Jones kind of gamble to stay in the race with Philly for the division next year.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m going to say SF and it will be 4 years $56M with $32M guaranteed (I think that’s roughly what I said earlier)

I agree with this one Kyle Shanahan will put him in the Julio role in that offense. 

If he doesn't land in SF i still see him on any team in the NFC West.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Be prepared to be surprised. His contract will be in the neighborhood of the Davante Adams contract. The WR class is bad and there are teams with a ton of cap space that need WR help. He will end up with roughly $14M a year. 

4 hours ago, LA Grant said:

And what kind of deal will he get? Someone is going to overpay for his potential.

My bet is the Cowboys give him the stupid contract he's looking for. Dez hasn't been "Dez" for a couple seasons and they don't have much WR talent behind him either. Sammy seems like a natural fit for Jerry World.

I could also see the Chargers, Packers, Falcons, or Saints making bids for him. 

glad he was traded.   McBeanes saw him for what he was, an above average talent who would leave in FA for HOF $$.     

trust the process

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Sammy would seem to be more of a West coast guy than Chicago. 

982 yds his rookie yr was very impressive the 2nd yr was even better.  It's obvious the injury to his foot has set him bk but at only 24yrs old and a yr removed from injury some team will pay for that potential. 

11 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I agree. At some point...you have to think talent and potential may never be reached.

Watkins may just be a slightly above average pro receiver. It wouldn't be the first time someone with so much talent didn't reach expectations..Braylon Edwards, Charles Rogers, Peter Warrick, Troy Williamson..etc.