Beane: "I have no intent to move up or down"

KDIGGZ

38 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't know.  I think there are some pretty intelligent people here.  if this is like the old BBMB I would suspect there are a few former NFL people on here including former Bills employees.  I would readily concede if I got the GM's job today I would have a heck of a lot to learn about doing it.

I think there are people on here that have played football and some that worked for the Bills but I dont think anyone on here actually knows what it takes to run a team. How could they? They dont have all the information that a GM or asst GM has to contend with in making decisions. People have opinions on here and that is about it. 

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

Mike Rodent reports that Beane has no intention of trading up and will pick at 21 and 22.  

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/31327/bills-still-in-quarterback-purgatory-could-punt-big-changes-to-2019

Key words: "quite yet: "right now as I sit here" "focused right now"  :DB-)

"Beane, however, isn't publicly entertaining that idea quite yet.

"I like the depth of the draft, especially early on in those rounds," he told the Bills' official radio program last week. "I'm excited to have five picks [in the first three rounds]. So I'm not going in, right now as I sit here, saying we got to move up or we got to move back.

"I'm excited at 21 and 22 because it showed we made the playoffs, and that was big for our city and our team and the culture that Sean and I are building. So I have no intent to move up or down. We're focused right now on who we think we could get at that value."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, M. Wrotto said:

I hope he keeps to his word. This team has a lot more pressing issues than moving up for an untested QB. We have the ability to load this team with outstanding players for years to come if we stay put and pick wisely.

That is an awful take and what too many on this board buy into. This is what the Bills have done for at least the last 14 years; get the QB and the rest falls into place....

4 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I think there are people on here that have played football and some that worked for the Bills but I dont think anyone on here actually knows what it takes to run a team. How could they? They dont have all the information that a GM or asst GM has to contend with in making decisions. People have opinions on here and that is about it. 

Former NFL or Bills employees for the most part have had their information pipeline broken when they left their job so they don't have juicy bits of information to pass on.  I would agree that 99 percent of the people here pretty much are limited to opinions but in some cases well crafted opinions.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Key words: "quite yet: "right now as I sit here" "focused right now"  :DB-)

"Beane, however, isn't publicly entertaining that idea quite yet.

"I like the depth of the draft, especially early on in those rounds," he told the Bills' official radio program last week. "I'm excited to have five picks [in the first three rounds]. So I'm not going in, right now as I sit here, saying we got to move up or we got to move back.

"I'm excited at 21 and 22 because it showed we made the playoffs, and that was big for our city and our team and the culture that Sean and I are building. So I have no intent to move up or down. We're focused right now on who we think we could get at that value."

It's a perfect balance in terms of attitude.  If you come out and say you're high on a QB, then you drive the price up when you actually try to move on draft day.  If you say that you think this draft is really deep, then you drive down the value of the picks you have at 21 and 22.  Those in the "Bills must sell the farm to get their QB" camp are assuming that there's a QB that's THEIR guy.  Maybe there isn't.  If you're a GM and have 5-6 QB's all as being potential franchise guys with no clear cut #1, why wouldn't you sit still at 21?  There hasn't been 6 QB's that have gone in the first 20 draft picks in 20 years.  Whether this is a smokescreen or the simple truth, I'm not sure I care either way.  I personally don't see "Top-5" pick value in any of this QB draft class.  When you start getting down to around #10, I'm listening.

I honestly believe that is the truth as of right now...for several reasons:

1.  I have heard this from two separate sources

2.  He is on record saying he likes his draft picks

3.  We have a TON of holes to fill

4.  He is also on record saying that price to move up to grab one of the top few qbs is prohibitive.

I expect them to be smart about it and grab a prospect like Rudolph or Jackson with one of the first round picks.  You have to remember there is a ton of depth in this QB class there are some really good QBs that were not drafted in the 5 picks.  Maybe he likes one of the "lesser" QBs.  

That said...if one of them falls far enough to where it makes sense to move up, then I would think he would do it.  I am fine with this strategy...a lot of people want the team to sell out to grab a great QB, but I don't think is a great strategy...I know QB is extremely important, but if you don't have the surrounding cast, what good is it.  A QB can elevate your team, but just how much?  Especially a rookie.  What has Luck done for the crappy Colts team?  I think they are taking a very measured approach to the draft, which is what I think is the best way to go about business.

Edited by atomicpwrd

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

"Done with this team?" Yeah, Ok.  

First, why would BB ever tell anyone what he plans to do? 

Two, IF the Bills don't move, it's likely because no team wanted to trade OR the price was too high. 

Three, you clearly have player(s) you want.  What are you willing to give up?  For me, there isn't a player that it's worth mortgaging a truck load of picks.  

I respectfully beg to differ, in this draft, there are two: Baker Mayfield, and Josh Rosen.  I'm completely comfortable with McBeane giving away the proverbial farm(except for a Ditka-Ricky Williams draft pick raping)for either of those two.  We already know it's going to cost an arm and a leg..

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

There is zero chance any gm in the NFL is going to come out and tell anyone what his draft strategy is.  That would just be plain stupid and drive the price up on a trade up.

While I agree that no GM would ever give up any draft strategy,  there is a price to move in the top 5 or so, and saying it now or later probably won't change that price.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, atomicpwrd said:

I honestly believe that is the truth as of right now...for several reasons:

1.  I have heard this from two separate sources

2.  He is on record saying he likes his draft picks

3.  We have a TON of holes to fill

4.  He is also on record saying that price to move up to grab one of the top few qbs is prohibitive.

I expect them to be smart about it and grab a prospect like Rudolph or Jackson with one of the first round picks.  You have to remember there is a ton of depth in this QB class there are some really good QBs that were not drafted in the 5 picks.  Maybe he likes one of the "lesser" QBs.  

That said...if one of them falls far enough to where it makes sense to move up, then I would think he would do it.  I am fine with this strategy...a lot of people want the team to sell out to grab a great QB, but I don't think is a great strategy...I know QB is extremely important, but if you don't have the surrounding cast, what good is it.  A QB can elevate your team, but just how much?  Especially a rookie.  What has Luck done for the crappy Colts team?  I think they are taking a very measured approach to the draft, which is what I think is the best way to go about business.

Welcome to the board Doug! We loved this strategy of yours, Buddys, Russ's & Marv's...

it worked out well for us - we made the playoffs this year finally!

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Okay, but he lasted 4 years, not 2, unlike what Coach Tuesday said.

Almost zero percent chance Beane is fired after this season.

I think he meant 2 more years.

I agree though.  Gotta give Beane at least 3-4. Maybe even 6, tbh.

• Like (+1) 1

On the flip side, if someone wants to trade back into the first, and offers us a nice package for one of our first rounders Beane isn't going to take it?

I can see Beane being more focused on what he can control oppose to focusing on coulda/shoulda/woulda.

This quote means less than nothing. He already said they can't come to a decision about QBs without spending a lot of time getting to know them, they haven't had all that much contact with the kids to date, hence they haven't set their draft board. Of course he has no intent at this moment of moving up, he doesn't even know who he wants to draft. Once that assessment has taken place the next step is determining where the player is likely to be drafted and trying to move up ahead of that spot to get them if necessary.  

23 minutes ago, klos63 said:

While I agree that no GM would ever give up any draft strategy,  there is a price to move in the top 5 or so, and saying it now or later probably won't change that price.

You don’t think Beane coming out and publicly saying, “Yup, we’re moving into the top 5, no matter what” will have any bearing on what teams then ask from him? 

You think if he put his neck out there like that, teams would reward him for his honesty and not give him a jobbing to end all jobbings?

ok. 

This is clickbait and means nada as a couple of people have pointed out.

However I do believe we are drafting where we are, and I have zero problems with it.  For the negative Nancy's saying it will never happen like this or his job depends on it.... This method of thinking is likely why you are continually disappointed. You have no idea what was discussed between the Pegula's and Beane.  He is a smart guy and I would be surprised if this topic was not broached prior to him signing on.

I also have no problems if he does trade up.  It is his call. So far I like what I have seen from him and look forward to seeing what the future holds for this team in regards to the decisions he gets to make.

13 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

You don’t think Beane coming out and publicly saying, “Yup, we’re moving into the top 5, no matter what” will have any bearing on what teams then ask from him? 

You think if he put his neck out there like that, teams would reward him for his honesty and not give him a jobbing to end all jobbings?

ok. 

If he wants to move up, he has to tell those GM's, so there really isn't a big secret is there? If he wants to move up, I'm sure he's contacted those GM's already to get basic parameters to start discussions.

16 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

ok. 

and no GM would ever say -" no matter what"

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

ok. 

No, it won't. As others have said, there are parameters to move in to top 5.....

2 hours ago, Fan boy '92 said:

No one said round 6. Most franchise quarterbacks in the league were not top 5 or even top 10 picks. Carr was a second. Seattle did ok. Alex Smith got picked first while Aaron Rodgers slid to 24. How did that work out?

Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins, Russel Wilson, Joe Flacco, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Dak Prescott, Andy Dalton, and that is only looking at current QBs.... That's about 1/3 of NFL teams who found their current starter in the late 1st or later the draft. The highest pick out of the QBs I listed was Flacco at #18. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's the billsy way, new slogan will be "Only 16 years until the playoffs again guys !"

get ready for a wide receiver and a corner again, and tt.

more mclapping and more conservative ball. 

Next time we make the playoffs, we will be shooting for more than  3.

clap clap clap