Chiefs trade Alex Smith to washington

Castellar

This should be really interesting for a bunch of reasons. 

I think most would agree that Cousins is better than Smith, but Smith is still a good QB. With that, Smith’s deal should set the floor for the Cousins deal. 

Also, I’m curious to know what went on behind the scenes to make the Skins think they had to jump on this. They had a decent draft spot and Smith was rumored to be cut for cap reasons. 

End of the day, it shows what we all know. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I predict Cousins goes to Denver whose defense gives him the best chance to win now. 

Denver's D was worse than ours in points against. Also Tailb might be on the way out which might take it down a fee more pegs. I don't debate their competition but not better than us.

Just now, Doc said:

Cousins was never going to sign a long-term deal with the Redskins and they can't franchise him again.  And with the bidding for his services, someone will overpay and it better not be the Bills. 

They certainly could have, but obviously will not after the trade for Smith. 

I'm guessing the 4 yr. extension Washington gives Alex Smith will be in the $84M range, bringing the total deal to an even $100M over 5 years.  Considering, Smith will likely get a $15M signing bonus, not a bad day to be him!  It's really a win win for him and the Chiefs.  This trade makes the trade up for Mahomes look that much sweeter for the Chiefs, they likely get back close to what they gave up to get him.  Cap tip to that franchise.  Well done.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Process said:

Talk about a best case scenario.... I hope cousins goes to the jets

Would love to see them blow a bunch of cap on an average qb. Plus this would stop them from drafting a qb who actually has potential to be a franchise player for at least a few more years. 

Go get em gang green

If he goes to the Jets then upgrading out defense is as important as anything else we do.  DL and LB early on in the draft.  We don't want to go 1-5 against our AFCE foes never mind whoever else we face this fall.

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Denver's D was worse than ours in points against. Also Tailb might be on the way out which might take it down a fee more pegs. I don't debate their competition but not better than us.

Well, I disagree in that Denver's D is built to play with leads and I think Cousins may give them that more often than not. Their front seven is leaps and bounds better than ours. That said, I do think they missed Wade Phillips' scheming last year. 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wtf is Washington doing? They don't actually think Smith is better than Cousins, do they?

When you are boxed in you acknowledge the situation and make the best of the weak situation you are in. Cousins was not going to sign with them.  And the team didn't believe he was worth the extravagant contract this year. To make the situation worse if they did franchise him and he played on another one year deal the team would be in the same situation the following year. What the signing of Smith does is buy time to get another qb. 

Just now, JohnC said:

When you are boxed in you acknowledge the situation and make the best of the weak situation you are in. Cousins was not going to sign with them.  And the team didn't believe he was worth the extravagant contract this year. To make the situation worse if they did franchise him and he played on another one year deal the team would be in the same situation the following year. What the signing of Smith does is buy time to get another qb. 

They didn't think Cousins was worth a big contract, but Alex Smith is worth a 2nd round pick and a 4 year extension? Doesn't make sense to me but it's not like Washington has been the team to look up to in recent years.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wtf is Washington doing? They don't actually think Smith is better than Cousins, do they?

Guess the rumors about that organization being in disarray were true...not only do they spend a ton of money on Smith, while losing draft capital and a player....but they could have just spent the money on a younger Cousins, while keeping all their assets. :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This isn't the first time a good player has been mishandled and it won't be the last. Stats show Cousins is consistently top 10, sometimes top 5. And would free up our draft picks to build around him.

He's not top 5, not even close 

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Wentz

Goff

Wilson

Rothlisberger

Stafford

Luck if he gets healthy again.

Rivers

Ryan...

Top 10 is even debatable. Not even consistent.

I hope there isn't even one Bills fan that doesn't want Kirk Cousins.  It would be awesome to see a QB find his wide open receivers instead of dumping it off to a FB.  Kirk Cousins would be a huge upgrade.  Here are his numbers the last 3 years:

2017.... 4,093.  27 TDs.
2016.... 4,917.  25 TDs.
2015.... 4,166.  29 TDs.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Agree it's common around the league. 

Which is is why I find it funny when Bills fans destroy Tyrod the way they do as if he is the only QB who has bad games. 

Tyrod has arguably regressed every season. Cousins has been very consistent. He won't lose you a game very often. He isn't Brady, he won't win games when he has zero help, but he's certainly closer to Brady than he is to Tyrod. Personally I count 2-3 more wins if Cousins was the starter last year.

Just now, HappyDays said:

They didn't think Cousins was worth a big contract, but Alex Smith is worth a 2nd round pick and a 4 year extension? Doesn't make sense to me but it's not like Washington has been the team to look up to in recent years.

Cousins was not going to sign with them. So in order to retain him they would have had to franchise him on a one year exorbitant franchise tag price. Then the next year they would be in the same situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that it is the Browns or Broncos.

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Cousins isn't coming here.

IMO Jets sign him.

Why would Cousins go to a team with a coach on the hot seat? All three of those teams are declining. Why would Cousins want to go to that?

• Like (+1) 1