Chiefs trade Alex Smith to washington

Castellar

Just now, HappyDays said:

Tyrod has arguably regressed every season. Cousins has been very consistent. He won't lose you a game very often. He isn't Brady, he won't win games when he has zero help, but he's certainly closer to Brady than he is to Tyrod. Personally I count 2-3 more wins if Cousins was the starter last year.

Bills would be dirty with Cousins and all those draft picks to use.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I might be in the minority but I would have preferred to trade for Smith vs. a blank check to Cousins (not that I am against getting Cousins). This offseason is going to be wild!

All depends on the compensation involved.

if smith is sub 20m per and costs less than the chiefs traded for him, and cousins is 25m+ per year.... I’d likely lean Smith. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Cousins was not going to sign with them. So in order to retain him they would have had to franchise him on a one year exorbitant franchise tag price. Then the next year they would be in the same situation. 

I don't think that's true, I think Washington just didn't want to make him the highest paid player of all time which is what it will take. He wouldn't have turned that down.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Tyrod has arguably regressed every season. Cousins has been very consistent. He won't lose you a game very often. He isn't Brady, he won't win games when he has zero help, but he's certainly closer to Brady than he is to Tyrod. Personally I count 2-3 more wins if Cousins was the starter last year.

This was never an 11-5 or 12-4 team.

They had a bad DVOA and one of the worst point differentials to ever make the playoffs 

Just now, Formerly Allan in MD said:

They would have had to sign him for about $35 mil.

Thanks for the specifics on the franchise tag cost. Cousins wants out and he has the leverage. Washington is taking the best option they have. By getting Smith they are buying time to get another qb. What the Skins have done makes sense to me. 

3 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I hope there isn't even one Bills fan that doesn't want Kirk Cousins.  It would be awesome to see a QB find his wide open receivers instead of dumping it off to a FB.  Kirk Cousins would be a huge upgrade.  Here are his numbers the last 3 years:

2017.... 4,093.  27 TDs.
2016.... 4,917.  25 TDs.
2015.... 4,166.  29 TDs.

81 passing TDs for Cousins the last three seasons, Tyrod has 51.

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Well, I disagree in that Denver's D is built to play with leads and I think Cousins may give them that more often than not. Their front seven is leaps and bounds better than ours. That said, I do think they missed Wade Phillips' scheming last year. 

Thank you!

The Bills front 7 is poor.........then deduct KW and Preston Brown entirely.......and make Hughes, Lorax and Humber a year older........it's likely the worst in the NFL.

You can turn a defense around quickly in free agency but it's a little harder to do that when you gotta' pay a new QB $27M per year and then eat the dead money of the one you've got.

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

This was never an 11-5 or 12-4 team.

They had a bad DVOA and one of the worst point differentials to ever make the playoffs 

I think you're wrong here. We won 9 games with what we had. We easily get about 2 extra wins with Cousins

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Why would Cousins go to a team with a coach on the hot seat? All three of those teams are declining. Why would Cousins want to go to that?

Browns because they have double the cap space of anyone else and can promise him Barkley. 

Broncos because they have an elite defense and good receivers. He may think that they can win.

The Jets don’t make sense to me.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't know.

I do know the Bills offensive coordinator blew chunks and the Bills WR corps was a disaste and that the year before the WR corps was gutted and Rick Dennison arrived,  Tyrods play was much better. 

The answer was, "no one."

Oh no, a mediocre OC and hurt WR's!  Kirk's OC and WR's were all HoF bound this year.  His OL was never hurt.

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Why would Cousins go to a team with a coach on the hot seat? All three of those teams are declining. Why would Cousins want to go to that?

Cousins is not some hobo off of the street.  He and Elway would no doubt have a sitdown in regards to the coach and what happens if the coach is fired.  What Elway's ideas are on a replacement.  Sure there is always the chance the two do not come together but for now I would not bet against it.  Further, I think that Elway makes room in terms of cap if he wants Cousins.  No sitting around and scratching his head over it.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Browns because they have double the cap space of anyone else and can promise him Barkley. 

Broncos because they have an elite defense and good receivers. He may think that they can win.

I wonder if Brown's would pursue McCarron again.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Broncos do not have an elite defense anymore.

Out of those three teams the Jets make the most sense because Kirk knows the new Offensive Coordinator there.

All I can say about Alex Smith is that after seeing him choke (yet again) in the playoffs I am kinda glad that hes never going to be a Bill. As for Cousins I not getting my hopes up yet. It would be great to sign him but please lets not get stupid about money. Everytime we do that the player all of a sudden becomes mediocre to terrible.   Also If we did get Cousins please draft a 1st round QB anyway for depth!

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think that's true, I think Washington just didn't want to make him the highest paid player of all time which is what it will take. He wouldn't have turned that down.

Cousins was not going to sign with Washington. They couldn't even get him and his agent to put down some figures so they could see if a deal could be reached. They were not going to commit to the Skins until they hit the market and pursued their options. I would even go so far as to say that Cousins would sign for less on the market rather than sign with Washington. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't know.

I do know the Bills offensive coordinator blew chunks and the Bills WR corps was a disaste and that the year before the WR corps was gutted and Rick Dennison arrived,  Tyrods play was much better. 

And Shady's yards per carry dropped by 1.4 yards from 2016.