Chiefs trade Alex Smith to washington

Castellar

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Smith is at this point.

When Smith was a younger QB, he had many of the same issues we see with TT - not seeing open guys, not being willing to take a shot and push the ball down the field, squirting out of the pocket when he sensed pressure instead of stepping up into a lane. 

By his 5th year or so he was reading the D and making progressions.  After being traded to KC, he became both a better runner, and more willing to step up on the pocket.  But if you know where to look you can still see his younger self (ie TT).  It's in his QB DNA.

Holy Guacamole, 4 years/$94M, $71M guaranteed. 

I wonder if there's a room in his house where Smith has this and similar framed, to look at while he counts his $$

Look no further than the last drive of the half against Buffalo when Smith missed his #1 target(Kelce) running wide open for what should have been a TD and ended up being a FG.  

Smith isn't great.........but he and Tyrod are not that far apart in terms of impact to their teams.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The highest paid player thing is always way overblown. The salary cap goes up at least $10 million every year. The markest is always changing. I also don't understand the logic here. If you trade up to draft a QB you have less than a coin flip's chance of them even being as good as Kirk Cousins, and if they are you make THEM the highest paid player in NFL history 4 years later. So if you're very lucky you get 3 years of a cheap Kirk Cousins? Or we could just pay that guy now when it's a sure thing. Seems like that's the debate here, should we use our draft picks on a QB and our salary cap on other positions, or vice versa? I'm paying the QB every time and solving that problem for years. The draft can plug in everything else.

So true, if we were lucky enough to hit on a QB in the draft their contract would end up being higher than Cousins in 4 years. I am always fine with paying a good QB. It is when you start giving defensive players $100 million dollar contracts that you get in trouble. I think there is enough tape on Cousins to know he will be a good to great QB in the league the next five years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

That's all fair and I appreciate it. It gives context to what you're saying. Does none of that have to do with being on a team devoid of a great running game and playing from behind a fair amount?

I just watch him play, granted not often and see their record with him and struggle to see top 5.

I will cede though, he did lose his top two receivers over the course of his career and still has performed. 

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

If the Bills sign him I hope I'm wrong and you're right. And if he goes else where I hope the opposite. 

There are no scrubs putting up those kinds of numbers. No flukes at the top of all those lists. He’s statistically in rarefied air, and while it’s true that the Skins didn’t have much success with him at QB I’m not one to view QB Wins as any kind of indicator of a passer’s ability.

Just now, dezertbill said:

This shocked me as well.  I think Fuller is more value than the 3rd.

KC robbed Washington.  

I guess it also depends on how well Mahomes plays, but certainly looking like it. I can't believe they are giving Smith that much money.

I am still a bit disappointed that the Bills couldn't acquire Smith (again, because I felt he might have been a realistic shot at an upgrade for next season). 

But now that I see the Skins are giving up Kendall Fuller too, I am much less upset. 

The Bills would have had to give up one of our better young players to have any chance of getting this deal done (and maybe an extra pick, or a 2nd to beat out the skins 3rd) and I doubt I'd have been ok with that. 

Then add in that monster 4 year extension (5yrs total) with a huge guarantee, and I'm definitely feeling better about this... lol. 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

yes,but all the teams with the elite quarterbacks basically pay that price.If you want a top ten qb that is the going rate.We havn't had a real qb in Buffalo since Flutie. I think new owners,new coach,new gm will want to change the face of the team.I really think you can build a real solid team around Kirk cousins........You can draft high and still bust.This guy is proven and only a 3 year starter.He will only get better...........Go bills in 2018!!!

No one will have ever paid that price. I think Cousins is a top 12-15 QB. That’s not a guy that I want to be the highest paid player ever. I’d rather trade up for Rosen, Mayfield or Darnold.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I wonder if we will eventually find out whether or not Cousins was actually willing to sign there.

I have no clue if he was or not, but I just got the impression, from listening to Cousins as well as some of the stuff I've read/heard, that he really didn't have much interest in staying there. 

If that was indeed the case then I can't really blame Washington for making the trade. You can do a lot worse than Alex Smith for the next few years.

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The highest paid player thing is always way overblown. The salary cap goes up at least $10 million every year. The markest is always changing. I also don't understand the logic here. If you trade up to draft a QB you have less than a coin flip's chance of them even being as good as Kirk Cousins, and if they are you make THEM the highest paid player in NFL history 4 years later. So if you're very lucky you get 3 years of a cheap Kirk Cousins? Or we could just pay that guy now when it's a sure thing. Seems like that's the debate here, should we use our draft picks on a QB and our salary cap on other positions, or vice versa? I'm paying the QB every time and solving that problem for years. The draft can plug in everything else.

I’m going the draft route. Part of it is that Cousins isn’t elite. He’s a good QB. I wouldn’t pay that price for a guy for a guy that’s good. The Redskins just did that with Smith. The Raiders did it with Carr, Dolphins with Tannehill, the Ravens with Flacco, etc... I don’t think that’s a winning strategy. Give me Rosen, Baker or Darnold

29 minutes ago, billspro said:

So true, if we were lucky enough to hit on a QB in the draft their contract would end up being higher than Cousins in 4 years.

Right, and say we give Cousins a 5 year contract. With salary cap increases by the 3rd or 4th year his cap hit won't seem that bad anymore. Alex Smith now has a cap hit higher than every QB other than Stafford, Carr, and Luck. That's just how the market goes, you can't avoid paying a QB forever. You can't perpetually draft one high. I think Cousins is the best chance we've had in a long time to get long-term stability with a consistent QB, and everyone is balking over the price. It's been a long time, I think we've paid enough.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4

It certainly would be better in terms of the salary cap if the Bills can find a QB in the draft who will be cost controlled for a number of years rather than making Cousins the highest paid QB in the league.  Kind of shocking how much Smith is going to get paid and the portion that will be guaranteed.

1 minute ago, jahnyc said:

It certainly would be better in terms of the salary cap if the Bills can find a QB in the draft who will be cost controlled for a number of years rather than making Cousins the highest paid QB in the league.  Kind of shocking how much Smith is going to get paid and the portion that will be guaranteed.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think Cousins is going to go to a team that believes they are one piece away and has deeper pockets than we.

The Eric Woods cap hit is a blow.

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m going the draft route. Part of it is that Cousins isn’t elite. He’s a good QB. I wouldn’t pay that price for a guy for a guy that’s good. The Redskins just did that with Smith. The Raiders did it with Carr, Dolphins with Tannehill, the Ravens with Flacco, etc... I don’t think that’s a winning strategy. Give me Rosen, Baker or Darnold

One of those 3 may be elite.  One additional of those three may become a decent NFL QB.

It's not too likely they'll all be decent, let alone elite.

Part of today's NFL seems to be, if you want to compete, you overpay for good but not great QB because you can win with a good QB, a team around him, and a stout D.