Chiefs trade Alex Smith to washington

Castellar

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Bills fans are daydreaming over Cousins and when they wake up it will be Bridgewater, Bradford or AJ McCarron.

Facts breh, facts.

Its def Bradford or McCarron from that list.

Put ypur your Cousins boners away homers. He is not signing here. Period.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lol

Facts.

16 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

If you want to say Cousins is better, fair enough, but I think they are very close.

But as I said earlier, I don't understand the comparison between him and TT.

I think Smith is light years ahead of Tyrod

Smith is at this point.

When Smith was a younger QB, he had many of the same issues we see with TT - not seeing open guys, not being willing to take a shot and push the ball down the field, squirting out of the pocket when he sensed pressure instead of stepping up into a lane. 

By his 5th year or so he was reading the D and making progressions.  After being traded to KC, he became both a better runner, and more willing to step up on the pocket.  But if you know where to look you can still see his younger self (ie TT).  It's in his QB DNA.

Holy Guacamole, 4 years/$94M, $71M guaranteed. 

I wonder if there's a room in his house where Smith has this and similar framed, to look at while he counts his $$

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Cousins may be the highest paid player in NFL history. I’d be cool with the player but after this Smith contract, I’m less interested in Cousins. 

yes,but all the teams with the elite quarterbacks basically pay that price.If you want a top ten qb that is the going rate.We havn't had a real qb in Buffalo since Flutie. I think new owners,new coach,new gm will want to change the face of the team.I really think you can build a real solid team around Kirk cousins........You can draft high and still bust.This guy is proven and only a 3 year starter.He will only get better...........Go bills in 2018!!!

33 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

It's pretty easy. He's not even close to top 5. I don't care what metric you go by...

Stats

Eye test

Name recognition

Previous success

He is at his best borderline top 10

He was 6th in QBR in 2015, 6th in 2016, 15th in 2017. How is that borderline top 10 at best? His down year was middle of the pack. Most of his stats in all 3 years have been top 10. He had a mild down year this season depending on which stat you like best, but if you ever watched any Redskins games you'd know what he was up against. Worst offensive line in the league outside of maybe Seattle, receivers dropping the ball, and no running game to speak of. It's a minor miracle he produced as much as he did.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep.......pay Tyrod's bonus.......retaining him for relative peanuts versus the cost of cutting him..........and trade up for your franchise QB.

Problem solved.

Good to see you've come around.:devil:

You ALMOST got it right. So close 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He was 6th in QBR in 2015, 6th in 2016, 15th in 2017. How is that borderline top 10 at best? His down year was middle of the pack. Most of his stats in all 3 years have been top 10. He had a mild down year this season depending on which stat you like best, but if you ever watched any Redskins games you'd know what he was up against. Worst offensive line in the league outside of maybe Seattle, receivers dropping the ball, and no running game to speak of. It's a minor miracle he produced as much as he did.

QBR?!? :lol: :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

I guess this eliminates any chance of the skins putting transition tag on cousins

:rolleyes: 4 yrs/$94M $71 guaranteed, I think so

I don't think Washington is going to be drafting a rookie QB very high this year either, now that the contract has come out.  You don't guarantee a guy $71M and spread his signing bonus over 4 years to part ways after 2.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

:rolleyes: 4 yrs/$94M $71 guaranteed, I think so

I don't think Washington is going to be drafting a rookie QB very high this year either, now that the contract has come out.  You don't guarantee a guy $71M and spread his signing bonus over 4 years to part ways after 2.

And for the pro-draft argument, that adds another team who isn’t drafting a QB.

33 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Last time I repost this comment:

Over the last 3 years (Cousins became starter in 2015), here are his NFL ranks among qualified active starters:

3rd in comp%

4th in yards

8th in TDs

6th in rating (if you like qb rating, because if you don't...)

Solidly top 10 in Y/A (actually 4th)

5th in ANY/A (my personal favorite)...which takes into account the amount of sacks he takes (it's a lot) due to what IMO is a bad Washington line.

also 7th, 3rd, and 16th (a down year in 2017 for sure) by DYAR. 

That's a top 5 QB all day. 

*EDIT for Y/A

He gets underrated because he was a fourth round pick. 

He is in the second tier of QBs. Very solid starter. 

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Cousins may be the highest paid player in NFL history. I’d be cool with the player but after this Smith contract, I’m less interested in Cousins. 

The highest paid player thing is always way overblown. The salary cap goes up at least $10 million every year. The markest is always changing. I also don't understand the logic here. If you trade up to draft a QB you have less than a coin flip's chance of them even being as good as Kirk Cousins, and if they are you make THEM the highest paid player in NFL history 4 years later. So if you're very lucky you get 3 years of a cheap Kirk Cousins? Or we could just pay that guy now when it's a sure thing. Seems like that's the debate here, should we use our draft picks on a QB and our salary cap on other positions, or vice versa? I'm paying the QB every time and solving that problem for years. The draft can plug in everything else.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Dude!  Please be careful where you point that QBR thing, it's loaded!

Leaving out Kirk Cousins for a sec, how can a person take seriously a QB rating system that puts Blake Bortles and Tyrod Taylor above Jared Goff and Derek Carr?  Does that pass your "eyeball test"?

Alex Smith had a great year this year.  But it was a career year, and he's 33 years old.  He may keep it up - or he may regress towards his mean.

But by Gosh, he Got Paid.

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Well that sucks.

When you're Right, you're Right

39 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Last time I repost this comment:

Over the last 3 years (Cousins became starter in 2015), here are his NFL ranks among qualified active starters:

3rd in comp%

4th in yards

8th in TDs

6th in rating (if you like qb rating, because if you don't...)

Solidly top 10 in Y/A (actually 4th)

5th in ANY/A (my personal favorite)...which takes into account the amount of sacks he takes (it's a lot) due to what IMO is a bad Washington line.

also 7th, 3rd, and 16th (a down year in 2017 for sure) by DYAR. 

That's a top 5 QB all day. 

*EDIT for Y/A

That's all fair and I appreciate it. It gives context to what you're saying. Does none of that have to do with being on a team devoid of a great running game and playing from behind a fair amount?

I just watch him play, granted not often and see their record with him and struggle to see top 5.

I will cede though, he did lose his top two receivers over the course of his career and still has performed. 

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

If the Bills sign him I hope I'm wrong and you're right. And if he goes else where I hope the opposite.