Is Tom Brady better than Jordan?

BigDingus

Is Brady Better than Jordan?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Brady vs Jordan

• Yes, 5 (possibly 6) Super Bowl rings is more impressive than 6 NBA rings.
    • No, 6 NBA rings is more impressive than 5 Super Bowl Rings
    • Yes, but only if he wins this 6th championship.
    • No, even if he wins he's still not Jordan.

LOL...talk about the wrong crowd to ask this question too.  This board is far too biased to give this question a fair answer.  Its going to be overwhelmingly no due to biased hate and disgust of everything Pats.  

But the truth is, Brady's 5 SB's are more impressive than than Jordan's 6 rings.  Its way easier to win multiple championships in the NBA than the NFL.  The NFL has so much more violence and volatility than the NBA.  There are only 5 guys on the court at a time in the NBA, compared to 11 in the NFL.  So if you are dominant on the court, you are 20% of your team and much easier to overcome weaker players.  In the NFL, a QB is impacted by the OL, receivers, etc, so its a lot harder for a QB to always be great the way Tom has because he has so many moving parts around him.  

This won't be a popular answer here, and I get it, and its cool and all.  But if we are being honest, the answer is Brady.  And lets not forget Brady is still playing at an Elite level and still among the 5 best players in the NFL at 40 in a much more VIOLENT game and Jordan was a shell of himself at 40 when he retired for good.

Was thinking this exact same thing last night after the Pats game.   They are the two players I've watched during my lifetime where you kind of knew the game belonged to them.  Anyone saying the difference is Brady lost isn't accounting for the difference in playoff formats in the respective leagues.  Jordan did lose championship games, it just wasn't one and done like it is in the NFL.

I personally think they are the two greatest players I have ever seen.  Brady made Belicheck, its not the system because the system didnt work anywhere Brady wasnt.  

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

They're talking about it on ESPN Radio right now, and I have to say I sadly think yes, he is.

Jordan is considered the GOAT in the NBA. He has 6 Championship rings. However, there have been several players with more than that like Bill Russell, Robert Horry, Sam Jones, etc. but Jordan gets more credit because he did it in the modern era and was the leader of those teams.

Again, we have people like Kareem Abdul Jabbar with 6, same with Scottie Pippen, and plenty of people who were also leaders of their team with 5. Tom Brady is tied right now with Charles Haley with most rings regardless of position, but could possibly surpass that with a win. 

I'd argue his 5 rings in the NFL as a QB leading his team is more significant than 6 rings in the NBA, but if he gets 6, there's no contest. He already has the stats to back up everything (just like Jordan), and has more championship game appearances. He's also played 36 post season games (the equivalent of over 2 full NFL seasons) which is absolutely nuts. Jordan also played just over 2 full seasons worth of games in the post season.

Jordan was a 6 time Finals MVP, 5 time League MVP, and is 4th all time in scoring. Brady is 4 time SB MVP (most all time), 2 time AP League MVP, and 4th all time in yards/3rd all time in TDs. Brady is also the winningest QB of all time with 223 wins (Peyton is 2nd with 200), while also being the winningest post-season QB ever with 27 wins & 9 losses (.750 win percentage) compared to 2nd place Joe Montana's 16 wins & 7 losses (.696 win percentage).

The fact that Brady dwarfs his peers in post season success, has the stats to back it up in the regular season, stands alone at the top for championship wins & championship appearances (literally played in a SB every other year of his career on average), completed the first & only 16-0 regular season record, 2nd all time in 4th quarter comebacks, 3rd best 4th quarter passer rating all time (behind Tony Romo & Matt Ryan), and makes his teammates better solidifies his spot in my opinion.

On top of all that, he's done it in the era of Free Agency (insane!) and without star players loading up the roster. They gifted him some great receivers in Moss & Welker once, and they were fantastic, but otherwise he has a rotating cast of role players that he elevates, and Gronk. To put how crazy this is in perspective, before Brady the Pats had 2 SB appearances, 0 wins. In their franchise HISTORY, the Steelers & Cowboys have 6 SB championships each with 8 appearances.

In one generation, Brady himself has 8 appearances! In that one generation, he has the chance to tie the top 2 franchises in SB wins himself! In the Brady era, he has put the Patriots in the same league as the Cowboys & Steelers in franchise relevance. Jim Kelly is a legend with 4 SB losses...even if Brady loses this SB, that'll almost tie him with Kelly's losses, with the caveat that he also has 5 wins on top of it! 

Overall, I'd say 5 NFL SB rings as a QB is more exclusive and difficult than 6 NBA rings. The fact more people aren't straight up calling him the GOAT *period* as they did Jordan is weird to me. If he wins this game, that'll change fast.

No because in the NBA a single player can completely take over the game in a way that can never happen in the NFL...Brady can do his best but if the defense and special teams suck then there is nothing he can do about that.

Jordan was not only an unbelievable scorer, he was also an unbelievable defender.  It would be like Tom Brady playing QB like himself and then going on defense and playing LB like Ray Lewis.

There is no real comparison between the two sports because Brady only has to do one thing. Granted its a very tough thing but it still is a singular thing.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

What a ridiculous proposition for ESPN to put forth. It’s bad enough to compare players in the same sport from different eras but to compare two players from different sports raises the level of absurdity to new levels. ESPN continues to do all it can to dumb down America.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm with a couple other posters.  Gretzky is the standard not Jordan.  Yes Jordan was a better athlete no one can deny that but gretzky has 1000 more points that anyone else...1000 points.  Good to great players don't even get 1000 points in their careers. 

Nhl - gretzky goat

Basketball - Jordan

NFL - Jerry rice

Mlb - who knows with all the juicing.  

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Jordan had to sit there and wait for Magic and Bird's great teams to finish up, then couldn't even beat the Bad Boys (with 1/3 the talent of the Bird/Magic teams)

team talent plummeted during Jordan's run, it doesn't take away from his game though... but his era was pathetic compared to the 80s...

I think Jordan was greatly helped by rules changes/interpretations after the Pistons beat him down, most significantly IMO was his drives to the hoop that used to be traveling stopped getting called. He and Brady have that in common.

23 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I'm with a couple other posters.  Gretzky is the standard not Jordan.  Yes Jordan was a better athlete no one can deny that but gretzky has 1000 more points that anyone else...1000 points.  Good to great players don't even get 1000 points in their careers. 

Nhl - gretzky goat

Basketball - Jordan

NFL - Jerry rice

Mlb - who knows with all the juicing.  

Not entirely fair since unlike other sports the NHL has done everything in its power to lower scoring instead of keeping it the same as it used to be during Gretzky's days, which was an all time high...I believe the one Oiler team average 6.5 goals a game over the entire season...nowadays both teams often don't even score 6 goals in a game.

People win scoring titles now with under 90 points...in his days that wouldn't have even gotten you in the top 40...so yeah, of course he will have a crap ton more points than everyone else because nobody has a prayer of even coming close to these days with the goalies getting bigger, playing better techniques, bigger equipment and being better athletes, not to mention the rules now heavily favoring defensive teams along with defensive systems.

Not saying he wasn't an amazing talent, he absolutely was but he came into the league at the perfect time.

Edited by matter2003

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Just foolishness.  Brady is great, but he didn't transcend American football like Mike did basketball.

The NBA, just in the past 3 seasons, are now almost fully recovered from the 2nd retirement of Mike in 1998.

Exactly...nobody has been killed for their Air Brady's...

• Haha (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

If Jordan's father was not murdered, he would have 8 in a row and Olajuwon would have 0.

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

I put MJ way way up there, but what they are doing today makes his day look like Bob Cousy's during the Magic/Bird era.

(Bird came along perfectly for my high school / undergrad years...)

Nobody could have foreseen how they utilize basically every square in of the court on O and LeBron and Curry play way better in their own way than MJ in his prime, with the most due and worthy respect for MJ.

No, Curry and LeBron do not.  There was no hand check rule when Jordan played.  Shooting in the NBA is like passing yards in the NFL.  Curry and others would never get the open shots they get now a generation ago.  Also, Jordan is the greatest defensive player of all-time.  That is a pretty ignorant statement.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LOL...talk about the wrong crowd to ask this question too.  This board is far too biased to give this question a fair answer.  Its going to be overwhelmingly no due to biased hate and disgust of everything Pats.  

But the truth is, Brady's 5 SB's are more impressive than than Jordan's 6 rings.  Its way easier to win multiple championships in the NBA than the NFL.  The NFL has so much more violence and volatility than the NBA.  There are only 5 guys on the court at a time in the NBA, compared to 11 in the NFL.  So if you are dominant on the court, you are 20% of your team and much easier to overcome weaker players.  In the NFL, a QB is impacted by the OL, receivers, etc, so its a lot harder for a QB to always be great the way Tom has because he has so many moving parts around him.  

This won't be a popular answer here, and I get it, and its cool and all.  But if we are being honest, the answer is Brady.  And lets not forget Brady is still playing at an Elite level and still among the 5 best players in the NFL at 40 in a much more VIOLENT game and Jordan was a shell of himself at 40 when he retired for good.

Right..you conveniently leave out that NBA players also play defense...not only was Jordan amazing offensively he was an elite defender as well...there is a case to be made that Jordan was the best perimeter defender of all time. Jordan is tied for the most all-time NBA Defensive First Team selections in NBA history with 9. Not only was Jordan arguably the best offensive player of all time, he is arguably one of the best defensive players of all time as well. 

When was the last time you saw Brady playing linebacker as well as Ray Lewis? Safety as well as Ed Reed? Corner like Darrell Green or Deion Sanders? Defensive end as well as Bruce Smith or Reggie White?

Whats that? I didnt hear you? When was that?

Thought so. All I hear are Crickets.

Edited by matter2003

No. Jordan won his rings via fierce determination and competitiveness like the world has never seen. Brady is good, but the black marks surrounding him tar his legacy immensely. Jordan was a jerk, but he was phenomenal at every level. And, let's be honest, his athletic talents far surpass any qb to play the game. 

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You aren't entirely wrong as it is incredible the dominance of this Pats team under Brady. However, look at the coaching and players that have surrounded Brady and look at who Jordan played with and, perhaps more importantly, against, and you will see the difference. Jordan didn't play in a watered down NBA. He had Bird, Isaiah, Magic, Ewing, Drexler, Malone, Stockton, Barkley, Price, Penny and Shaq to contend with to win those titles. That's a murderers row. Brady is the greatest QB of all time, and that should not be argued, but Jordan is the GOAT and I hate that the two have been and wiil be compared.

Tom Brady is the GOHE - Greatest of his Era.  He's playing in the entertainment era NFL where the QB can't be touched and you can't mug receivers.  That takes nothing away from his greatness, but I have a hard time believing he'd have been this successful in the 80s era NFL.  On the flip side, seeing Montana or Marino in today's game would be amazing.

In basketball you don't have dudes running at you full speed ready to wreck your life. Football is a more complex and dangerous sport. Just my opinion on it. 

I respect all sports but like golf, basketball, baseball and bowling I'll never want to just watch that boring stuff. Hockey and Football are real gladiator battles.

I hate Tom Brady but the dude is ancient playing a more intense sport so I voted better than Jordan. 

Edited by Lfod

8 hours ago, Steve O said:

For all of the "cheating" the patriots have done over the years, the thing they have benefitted most from is perfectly legal. Brady was the 15th highest paid qb in 2017. This allows NE to sign free agents to contracts that other teams can't match because of salary cap and having big bucks invested in their quarterbacks. While perfectly legal, not having huge $ tied up in their franchise quarterback has given NE a big advantage in free agency.

Why do you assume that's perfectly legal?

I'd bet my kids Brady has a side deal with Kraft for post-retirement income that allows them to circumvent the cap now.

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I'm not "worshiping." 

I just want to know, from an unbiased standpoint, how people feel in comparison to Jordan. Seriously, we can be mature about this, even on a Bills board. 

There are tons of non-Bills related posts every day discussing various topics. This is no worse.

That very well could be true, but in terms of accomplishments what is your opinion?

Jordan didn’t have to cheat to win his championships....

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

No. Jordan won his rings via fierce determination and competitiveness like the world has never seen. Brady is good, but the black marks surrounding him tar his legacy immensely. Jordan was a jerk, but he was phenomenal at every level. And, let's be honest, his athletic talents far surpass any qb to play the game. 

I dunno...Vick might have a case to be made

9 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Jordan was great because he was great at all aspects of the game. Offense, defense, handling, shooting... and overall one of the most incredible athletes on the court. 

A team of 5 Jordan’s would have been tough to stop. 

A team of 11 Brady’s beats no one. He’s very good at one position and would likely be useless at just about any other spot on the field. But because the team and system is built around him doing that 1 thing well.. they win loads of games  

A team of 5 Jordan's gets destroyed in the post in that era.

I'm not really a fan of these cross sport comparisons. They really make no sense. It's hard enough to compare QB's from the 80s and 90s to QBs today, now we are going to start comparing a 2 guard from the 90s to a QB?

No thanks, I don't even know where to begin. Go figure ESPN would be the place that creates a conversation that really can't be had. 

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

You aren't entirely wrong as it is incredible the dominance of this Pats team under Brady. However, look at the coaching and players that have surrounded Brady and look at who Jordan played with and, perhaps more importantly, against, and you will see the difference. Jordan didn't play in a watered down NBA. He had Bird, Isaiah, Magic, Ewing, Drexler, Malone, Stockton, Barkley, Price, Penny and Shaq to contend with to win those titles. That's a murderers row. Brady is the greatest QB of all time, and that should not be argued, but Jordan is the GOAT and I hate that the two have been and wiil be compared.

So Jordan is the GOAT of what? Being a human being? You sound retarded.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I believe Brady is the better of the 2 but nobody even comes close to Wayne Gretzsky.

Based on what? Jordan had 6 championships in an 8 year period including 1 year where he was playing baseball. He had 3 more years where he retired before coming back for 2 more seasons where he averaged over 20 points a game again playing for the Wizards.

Jordan was an all time offensive player AND potentially the greatest defensive player ever as well.  Brady has no comparison to that. Hed have to be the best QB and the best defnsive player at the same time. That doesnt even exist in football. That puts Jordan several rungs higher than Brady by itself. Brady has 5 Super Bowl wins in 17 seasons now? Went 9 years between Super Bowl wins at one point? Jordan won 6 titles in less than that time span and was playing baseball for a year in there...

12 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Nope. I'd still take Joe Montana over TB every time. He's not even close to being a Jordan. 

I agree and mof i can't put the Pats on any great lists because of the blemishes on there record as far as cheating is concerned.  They have been caught and always have the favor of the officials.  Just like Baseball no one doubts the talents of Bonds, Maguire, Sosa, Rose and Clemens but there not in the Hof for a reason.  I'm gonna do the same for the Pats i acknowledge they are the first MANUFACTURED DYNASTY IN SPORTS HISTORY!