Why No Love for Schwartz?

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen any reports linking Jim Schwartz to any of the head coach vacancies.  I think that's nuts.  Guy did a great job as DC in Tennessee, did a respectable - not great - job as HC in Detroit, great job as DC with the Bills and great job as DC with the Eagles.  At a minimum, you know you're going to get a really good defensive mind if you hire him.  One of the Bills biggest mistakes in the last ten years (and God knows there have been enough of them) was not making Schwartz HC after Marrone bolted, or at least throwing a bunch of money at him to keep him as DC and hire an offensive minded head coach.  Thanks, Terry!!

12 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen any reports linking Jim Schwartz to any of the head coach vacancies.  I think that's nuts.  Guy did a great job as DC in Tennessee, did a respectable - not great - job as HC in Detroit, great job as DC with the Bills and great job as DC with the Eagles.  At a minimum, you know you're going to get a really good defensive mind if you hire him.  One of the Bills biggest mistakes in the last ten years (and God knows there have been enough of them) was not making Schwartz HC after Marrone bolted, or at least throwing a bunch of money at him to keep him as DC and hire an offensive minded head coach.  Thanks, Terry!!

12 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I think this was Whaley's plan but was overruled and Ryan was hired instead

the job in Detroit wasn't "respectable"...it was a disaster. You've either got a short memory or an some other strange agenda. I'd imagine he'll start to get looks again, but the guys rolodex doesn't seem to be very deep either. Who's his OC?

His tenure at Detroit wasn't a "disaster".  He took an 0-16 (0-16!) team and had them in the playoffs in his third year.  Oh yeah, a guy named Belichick was a "disaster" in his first HC job at Cleveland.  All I'm saying is I'm surprised he is not a top tier candidate for one of the many HC openings in the league right now.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

His tenure at Detroit wasn't a "disaster".  He took an 0-16 (0-16!) team and had them in the playoffs in his third year.  Oh yeah, a guy named Belichick was a "disaster" in his first HC job at Cleveland.  All I'm saying is I'm surprised he is not a top tier candidate for one of the many HC openings in the league right now.

I love Schwartz, but just FYI, Bill did take Cleveland to the playoffs during his time there.

9 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I like him, does that count?

And Swartz did take the Lions to the playoffs.

I hear you.  I was just making the point with BIll.

Hey, hindsight doesn't even have to be 20/20...why he wasn't the choice to coach this team back in '15 I'll never know.

EDIT:  Matt, I meant to give you the thumbs up earlier, not the laugh.  that was a click mistake.

EDIT 2:  wait, I did want to do the laugh as I liked that "I like him" comment.

I wish we could give two!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, boco357 said:

Think he is a bit of a hot head

doesn't seem to hurt his defenses.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I think this was Whaley's plan but was overruled and Ryan was hired instead

Hue Jackson was to be HC and Schwartz would have stayed. But Rex was too good to pass up.

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

Hue Jackson was to be HC and Schwartz would have stayed. But Rex was too good to pass up.

I wish that happened as we wouldn't have wasted two years on Rex. 

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

I wish that happened as we wouldn't have wasted two years on Rex. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think he's kind of a blowhard but I won't lie, I'd have been ok with him taking over as our next HC when Dougie left. And that's how I felt THEN, even without the benefit of Rex Ryan hindsight...

I totally get he may just be one of those good coordinator/bad HC guys, that may be 100% true. Still, I'd have been ok with it.

Hue Jackson is a mediocre to poor head coach who has issues getting along with people.

Glad he wasn't hired here. On the bright side, his record is 1-31 in 2 seasons as Browns head coach! On the negative side, he is trending downward, with that 1 win coming in season #1 there.

He has won exactly 1 more game as a head coach than Dick Jauron over the past 2 seasons, and Jauron is retired.

13 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Hue Jackson is a mediocre to poor head coach who has issues getting along with people.

Glad he wasn't hired here. On the bright side, his record is 1-31 in 2 seasons as Browns head coach! On the negative side, he is trending downward, with that 1 win coming in season #1 there.

He has won exactly 1 more game as a head coach than Dick Jauron over the past 2 seasons, and Jauron is retired.

There former GM went with Money ball move. Huge mistake by them.

Hue carries himself like he's Belichick but has a 1-31 record there and a mediocre record as Raiders coach.

He's a horrible HC with a massive ego. As someone who doesn't care about the Browns other than to criticize their horrific uniforms, it's funny to watch. There's a lot to like from an entertainment standpoint about a guy who refers to himself in the 3rd person and rants and raves about how he's a winner and his mere presence will bring greatness.

1 minute ago, the skycap said:

I think Schwartz will devise a game plan to thwart the Patriots offense only to be derailed by the Patriots loving officials!! 

Here's the thing:

Jacksonville: top 5 defense, mediocre to poor offense with Nate Hackett calling plays. Almost beat NE in NE. Gronk was in the game for 10 of the 24 points. Once he went out the Patriots scored more. Jax had an answer for him.

Philadelphia: top 5 defense, AND  top 10 offense (that is tied for #1 with NE for most PPG at 28.6, and that is with scoring 0 in week 17 when the starters sat) with the HC calling an innovative and ever evolving game.

It won't be close. Philly by 10+

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Here's the thing:

Jacksonville: top 5 defense, mediocre to poor offense with Nate Hackett calling plays. Almost beat NE in NE. Gronk was in the game for 10 of the 24 points. Once he went out the Patriots scored more. Jax had an answer for him.

Philadelphia: top 5 defense, AND  top 10 offense (that is tied for #1 with NE for most PPG at 28.6, and that is with scoring 0 in week 17 when the starters sat) with the HC calling an innovative and ever evolving game.

BEWARE THE ZEBRAS!!!

I think there is some wariness of Schwartz as a head coach dating from his less than stellar tenure at Detroit.  I remember when Marrone quit, my hope was that the Bills would hire Hue Jackson and retain Jim Schwartz for the defense.  I still think that might have been a successful combo, though anybody in Buffalo would have been limited by the QB situation.  I don't think Jackson was at fault for the disaster that is Cleveland.

13 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

I'm with you. Stupid people think taking an 0-16 team to the playoffs in the third year means he's not a good head coach. Stupid people think this. He will be successful.

7 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Here's the thing:

All I can take away from this thread is that you're delusional.

I was also surprised that we didn't hear anything about Schwartz being linked to any of the head coaching jobs, or even interviewing them (afaik anyway). 

He does have a bit of a reputation for having a very strong personality... (to say it nicely). I guess that could possibly play a part.

I think it was mainly just the way things are trending with coaching hires.

With the numerous first time rookie head coaches that have just recently come in and had real success I think we are seeing more teams going that direction. It can be a bit of a copycat league at times. 

Sean McVay, Doug Pederson, Sean McDermott, Dan Quinn, Anthony Lynn, Adam Gase (last year) and even Todd Bowles (2 years ago) + Kyle Shanahan (once he got a QB) all came in and had varying degrees of success. 

Lot of younger coaching hires recently too, and also guys with much less experience. We are seeing coaches hired that barely have any experience as a coordinator (2-3 years or less) and have only been coaching a total of 10 years or less. 

This is a bit of a change from years past. Things seem to be currently trending toward younger coaches with less experience. Especially this offseason. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, klos63 said:

Ha Ha good one.

Just another way Whaley was ignored by the Bills.

Edited by Wagon Circler

On 1/22/2018 at 10:44 AM, klos63 said:

This makes me ill whenever I think of it. The Bills would have been so much better off. Instead, the idiot blowhard out-of-control Rex show.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

I've mentioned this before but just think had we kept Schwartz as DC we essentially had him locked in for life.

It's really hart to see him getting another head coaching gig after his failure in Detroit. 

oh really?  locked in for life.  

23 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Here's the thing:

Jacksonvilles offense was good. Like top 5 good.