Best sub or hoagy ever

Kelly the Dog

Used to get a ham and turkey club sub from Jim’s Steakout on Delaware after last call in my youth that was delicious.

Also got a steak sub from Bozana’s on Camp Rd one time that I still remember to this day. It was good, but more memorably, it was like 15 lbs of meat. Took me 3 days to eat it. 

John and Mary’s was always the gold standard for me, but I have a new(ish) personal favorite. Valentino’s in Sarasota FL has the best Italian sub I can remember. The bread is key, but it’s all around perfection for my taste. I happen to be in town, and have to get there before I leave.  

I know there are a few guys not too far away. If you haven’t tried it, make the effort. 

It’s also two meals for me....unless I’m starving. 

Just now, Augie said:

John and Mary’s was always the gold standard for me, but I have a new(ish) personal favorite. Valentino’s in Sarasota FL has the best Italian sub I can remember. The bread is key, but it’s all around perfection for my taste. I happen to be in town, and have to get there before I leave.  

They have great subs, especially the rolls. Great food all around. If I had to have one, I'd still go J&M.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

They have great subs, especially the rolls. Great food all around. If I had to have one, I'd still go J&M.

I haven’t had J&M for decades, so I can’t say. I don’t remember them as having the same quality of bread, but I’ve got no clue....just happy memories. 

I don’t know if it’s a New England thing or a Vermont thing, but they love to put shredded cabbage on subs here.  At first I was appalled and wouldn’t try it.  It since has grown on me.  Adds a nice crunch to the sandwich.   As long as the cabbage is shredded super thin.  At most places it’s either cabbage or romaine leaves.  No shredded iceberg.  Not a big fan of romaine on my sub.

Great, now I have to add J&M to my list of must have foods when I get back for a game next season.... So much food, so little time...

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t know if it’s a New England thing or a Vermont thing, but they love to put shredded cabbage on subs here.  At first I was appalled and wouldn’t try it.  It since has grown on me.  Adds a nice crunch to the sandwich.   As long as the cabbage is shredded super thin.  At most places it’s either cabbage or romaine leaves.  No shredded iceberg.  Not a big fan of romaine on my sub.

Some crunch/texture can be a nice addition. It doesn’t change the flavor much, I’d expect. 

1 hour ago, Bills4everNY said:

Jreck Subs.

Wife wants to go there, we have one a few miles from home. One of these days we'll make it. Thankfully they didn't get shut down by the corruption case. 

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

wegmans - “Danny’s favorite” 

That's what I'll get too when I go, on wheat. Closest I've found to the Mr. Sub I mentioned before. 

My favorite for a long time, many years ago, used to be at Mike's subs at the Delaware Ave./Lincoln Blvd. location in Kenmore.  Maybe that was the only location back then?  Maybe that is the only location now!?  

They did  a steak and cheese that was lovely, based mostly around the meat they used, which is what I would call "real steak" like a thin but meaty piece of sirloin steak. 

I.E., they didn't use paper thin "Steak-ums" or whatever that crap is like most all other sub places.

I used to get tomatoes, lettuce, steak, cheese, oil, salt...

They were always well seasoned and dammit....I am hungry right now and can taste one! 

Wonder when I last ate one at that location.  May well have been 25-30 years ago.

The fact I can still remember them well speaks to their quality.

Edited by Fadingpain

7 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Dinic's Roast Pork with Rabe and Sharp Provolone at Reading Terminal Market in Philly.  /End Thread

That’s is very good to great, not end thread worthy though. 

Two candidates, one WNY and other Chain

1) violas steak and cheese in the Falls. If you grew up on it, still the best. 

2) Penn National Italian, grilled. For a chain, this place is awesome. Fresh sliced meats and cheeses, grilled meat first, then in the oven. And the bread/ baguette is just divine. 

I know.  But let me echo what others have said.  An Italian Diablo from Primo's is hands down my favorite hoagie, but you can walk into any corner store in philly and get a ridiculously overloaded hoagie with Dietz & Watkins meats which are pretty damn high quality meats.  I leaned early on when i moved here to not shy away from these corner stores.

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That’s is very good to great, not end thread worthy though. 

Two candidates, one WNY and other Chain

1) violas steak and cheese in the Falls. If you grew up on it, still the best. 

2) Penn National Italian, grilled. For a chain, this place is awesome. Fresh sliced meats and cheeses, grilled meat first, then in the oven. And the bread/ baguette is just divine. 

I stayed with my friends wife's sister on a trip to NYC. She's a vegetarian but made me a fried pastrami sub. Omg. I have no idea what she did to it but it was the most amazing thing I've ever eaten. 

Best sub from a store or restaurant would have to be willow ridge convenient in amherst. Nothing crazy just Costanzo roll and meat veggies and cheese but they're good.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I haven’t had J&M for decades, so I can’t say. I don’t remember them as having the same quality of bread, but I’ve got no clue....just happy memories. 

My mom lives near the Getzville J&M and I bring her a sub every now and again when I'm in town visiting.  I went about 15 years between trips until a couple years ago. My favorite when I was young was the A-bomb. I still order that one, but also the steak. The bread is still great.  I've been making my own version of an A-bomb since I moved away.  I tried to get my local pizza guy to start making it for me, but he was pretty rigid in his menu. All in all, J&M is still a solid choice.  I wouldn't call it the best but you won't go wrong.  

My my dad loved the Santora's steak and dandelion.  Loved it.

34 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I know.  But let me echo what others have said.  An Italian Diablo from Primo's is hands down my favorite hoagie, but you can walk into any corner store in philly and get a ridiculously overloaded hoagie with Dietz & Watkins meats which are pretty damn high quality meats.  I leaned early on when i moved here to not shy away from these corner stores.

Even in my little hometown, I've found the best subs are from corner stores.  There were two that made excellent subs.  One closed down years ago; the other, I just saw yesterday, abruptly closed its doors and put the business up for sale.

I like a nice Italian mixed, toasted, with banana peppers.

Another favorite is one I learned from an ex many years ago.  Roast beef, provolone, LTO, a little Italian dressing and bacon.  There's a small pizza shop - Amore - in my town that makes great subs.  Their rolls are the perfect softness, which is why I like them so much.

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I know there are a few guys not too far away. If you haven’t tried it, make the effort. 

It’s also two meals for me....unless I’m starving. 

John and Mary's was always the go to place back in WNY, there used to be one kind of near the airport. Also out Darien way there was a place called Beachy's that made great subs, probably gone now.

Down here in Florida the Silver Ring makes excellent Cuban sandwiches, not exactly a sub but "sub like". Jersey Mikes is the main sub place around here but I think they are over rated.

9 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

My favorite for a long time, many years ago, used to be at Mike's subs at the Delaware Ave./Lincoln Blvd. location in Kenmore.  Maybe that was the only location back then?  Maybe that is the only location now!?  

They did  a steak and cheese that was lovely, based mostly around the meat they used, which is what I would call "real steak" like a thin but meaty piece of sirloin steak. 

I.E., they didn't use paper thin "Steak-ums" or whatever that crap is like most all other sub places.

I used to get tomatoes, lettuce, steak, cheese, oil, salt...

They were always well seasoned and dammit....I am hungry right now and can taste one! 

Wonder when I last ate one at that location.  May well have been 25-30 years ago.

The fact I can still remember them well speaks to their quality.

I used to work at that store. Even when I worked there, I loved the subs there, Italian sausage was my favorite and still is. When I am in town, I usally hit Mikes, and then John and Mary's, but last time John and Marys was pretty bad. 

Now that I am in Long Island, there is a little, cash only place called "My Hero" in North Bellmore. The subs are incredible, great bread, fantastic subs (the Champ), only word of caution, once you have a full hero, you seem to need a nap within an hour. My rainy day Saturday pleasure is a Champ with the works, and a nap on the couch in front of a cozy fire. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Oswego Sub Shop

I went to Oswego State.  The cheeseburger sub from the Oswego Sub Shop might just be the perfect food.  I can't count how many we drunkenly ordered, usually around 3:00am.  Although I went back a couple years ago and the cheeseburger sub wasn't as good as in the 90s.

• Like (+1) 1