Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

16 hours ago, K-9 said:

Welliver does the best Pacino impression ever. 

He's a very good actor all around. Great to see that he finally got the role of a lifetime and now getting his due. That guy and part is not only perfect for him, but he elevates it.

Michael Connelly said that he has a very difficult time imagining Bosch in his books now without thinking of Welliver. High praise indeed, even if Connelly does produce and do a lot of writing on the show.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He's a very good actor all around. Great to see that he finally got the role of a lifetime and now getting his due. That guy and part is not only perfect for him, but he elevates it.

Michael Connelly said that he has a very difficult time imagining Bosch in his books now without thinking of Welliver. High praise indeed, even if Connelly does produce and do a lot of writing on the show.

Yeah, I’m a big Welliver fan, too. First thing I remember seeing him in was ‘Deadwood’ and thought he brought a ton to the role he played, even though he wasn’t too major a character. Love him in ‘Bosch’ and I can see why Michael Connelly feels the way he does. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yeah, I’m a big Welliver fan, too. First thing I remember seeing him in was ‘Deadwood’ and thought he brought a ton to the role he played, even though he wasn’t too major a character. Love him in ‘Bosch’ and I can see why Michael Connelly feels the way he does. 

Yeah, excellent in Deadwood. Although pretty much everyone was. Miss that show for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’m about half way through Altered Carbon on Netflix.  It’s pretty heavy Sci-fi for me, and I almost didn’t make it past episode one.  My wife convinced me to give it another chance, and it is definitely growing on me.  Very interesting concept.

I'm a couple of episodes in and I like it.  The main character was great in "The Killing".

56 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’m about half way through Altered Carbon on Netflix.  It’s pretty heavy Sci-fi for me, and I almost didn’t make it past episode one.  My wife convinced me to give it another chance, and it is definitely growing on me.  Very interesting concept.

I've been enjoying this one.  I find the sound levels fluctuate often and its difficult to pick up all the dialogue.  I'm interested to see where it goes.

I tried Peaky Blinders about 18 months, gave up after about 10 minutes.But after all the praise here,gave it another shot, but with the closed captioning on. Wholy mply what a great show! Through Episode 1 of season 4, should finish the rest in the next week or so.

Sucks getting old..but i do watch when i get my old man behind up at 3:30 AM some mornings, so volume is kept low.

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I tried Peaky Blinders about 18 months, gave up after about 10 minutes.But after all the praise here,gave it another shot, but with the closed captioning on. Wholy mply what a great show! Through Episode 1 of season 4, should finish the rest in the next week or so.

Sucks getting old..but i do watch when i get my old man behind up at 3:30 AM some mornings, so volume is kept low.

I thought the show lost a lot of steam in season 3 and I turned it off one episode into season 4.  Am I the only one losing interest in this series?

52 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I'm a couple of episodes in and I like it.  The main character was great in "The Killing".

Yeah, he was good in The Killing and also played a major role in a couple seasons of House of Cards.  Pretty solid actor.

41 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I've been enjoying this one.  I find the sound levels fluctuate often and its difficult to pick up all the dialogue.  I'm interested to see where it goes.

The torture episode was pretty freaky.  I loved it, but my wife spent much of it with her head turned and her ears plugged ?

13 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I recommended Peaky Blinders to somebody awhile back.  Actually I recommend it to people frequently.  But in one instance somebody walks up to me and starts off in an awful British accent Pip pip cheerio mate and God save The Queen.  He watched the first episode and thought it was very British

A few days later he told me that he finished S3 and thanked me

Favorite Shows in the last three-four years or so (in no order):

- Fall of Eagles (You Tube)  Mid-70s BBC miniseries tracking the end of the Austrian, German and Russian monarchies 1850-1918..  Excellent stories and acting. I,Claudius good.

- Ozark (Netflix) This one surprised me.  Breaking Bad is my all-time drama favorite but Ozark has a chance to rival it.  All characters are good, great writing and plot twists. 

- Stranger (Netflix) Korean crime drama. It's a commitment but well worth the time. Very intricate and plot driven.  Yes, subtitles, but a cool look into Korea. 

- Goliath (Amazon) Well done Billy Bob Thornton law/crime miniseries. They use the potentially boring cliche of drunk lawyer to great affect. Thornton is excellent. 

- Marvelous Mrs. Maziel (Amazon)  My overall best show of 2017. Everything is great, especially the star. The eight one-hour episodes fly by.  

- Broadchurch (Netflix). Superior English small-town mysteries. Three seasons, very well done. Tennett and Oliva Coleman deliver. 

- Hotel Beau Séjour (Netflix). Belgian miniseries. Stay with me, murdered teenager tries to solve her own murder.  Dark, suspenseful and well written. 

- The Break (Netflix). Another Belgian miniseries. Damaged detective goes home. Good mystery. 

- The Bridge (not sure where). Danish/Swedish mystery.  Great characters/mystery. Fun to see the two countries interact. Copied many times, always poorly. 

- Trapped. Iceland. Remote (aren't they all?) harbor town cut off by blizzard. Police look to solve murders.  Good look into Iceland. 

- Happy Valley (Netflix).  Can't praise this show enough. Excellent characters and mystery. English mid-lands. Great writing and absorbing mystery. Two seasons.

- The Good Place (NBC/Netflix/Hulu). Truly great comedy, completely original, smart and unpredictable.  Everything and everyone is excellent. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just finished Godless and thought it was excellent.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:54 AM, Kelly the Dog said:

Bosch is an excellent show, and extremely true to its source even though they combine characters and storylines. Titus is great. Although tough to beat Tommy from Peaky.

Great show, just got the go ahead for season 5...season 4 will be available in mid-April. 

Edited by ricojes

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I really liked it, but my guess is it won't last long.  It's a little too niche and comes across like it would have been expensive to produce.  Also, Netflix is promoting the hell out of it, and it seems like every time they do that it doesn't work out.

3 hours ago, Acantha said:

I really liked it, but my guess is it won't last long.  It's a little too niche and comes across like it would have been expensive to produce.  Also, Netflix is promoting the hell out of it, and it seems like every time they do that it doesn't work out.

The book is fantastic, however, that may have ruined the show for me. That, or the fact it lacks imagination. People still smoke filtered cigarettes, wear 2018 clothes, not a lot has changed - really, 1960s tiled walls?  At least the book paints a futuristic world that allows you to conjure a new world. In the book, the main character is ruthless but also unsure of the time he’s now living.  The Netflix version is cliche ridden character out of a 80s action movie.  

23 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

- Stranger (Netflix) Korean crime drama. It's a commitment but well worth the time. Very intricate and plot driven.  Yes, subtitles, but a cool look into Korea. 

- Marvelous Mrs. Maziel (Amazon)  My overall best show of 2017. Everything is great, especially the star. The eight one-hour episodes fly by.  

- Broadchurch (Netflix). Superior English small-town mysteries. Three seasons, very well done. Tennett and Oliva Coleman deliver. 

- Happy Valley (Netflix).  Can't praise this show enough. Excellent characters and mystery. English mid-lands. Great writing and absorbing mystery. Two seasons.

I like your list, at least those that I have seen.  If you like Korean movies there are a couple of movies I could recommend, but won't unless you ask because I had to use Kodi to watch them.

Mrs Maziel is a great break from the more serious entry's.   I agree the lady playing Mrs Maziel does a great job.  I find a lot of the humor perfect for me and I also like the period it is set in.

Liked the first year of Broadchurch, haven't watched the next two.  Typically British, but I like that, in TV anyway.

There is no way you get an idea of what the show is about by the title, Happy Valley .   I also thought it was excellant.

Based on your list, I think I will give The Bridge a look.   Just checked, it is not on Netflix and is pay for view on Amazon, so I guess it goes to the Kodi list.   Also, if you enjoyed Happy Valley, try Hinterland., on Netflix.

Edited by Greybeard

On 2/14/2018 at 7:14 AM, joesixpack said:

Whoever recommended Altered Carbon, I love you mang.

I'm through 4 episodes and find it really cool.  I am going to put the rest in as a spoiler but it is just my guess about what is going on and whodunnit.  Sometimes I can figure these things out very earl and other times I'm way off.

I think the main character waited 250 years patiently and found the right spot to get himself introduced back into society after being "on the shelf" for 250 years.  He found a way to mess with "the construct" much like he did in the torture episode.  The Purefoy character is important because he and those around him symbolize everything that has gone wrong with society over 250 years and he knew Purefoy getting killed would result in the invitation back into the world.  The end game is victory for the Envoys.  This is just a guess....don't tell me if it is right.  It is probably way off

Courtesy of Baldywood:

If you liked Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead, then you will probably like A Futile & Stupid Gesture, which is the Doug Kinney (What the Hell are We Supposed to Do, You Moron) story.  

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:59 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, he was good in The Killing and also played a major role in a couple seasons of House of Cards.  Pretty solid actor.

Speaking of The Killing, that's a worthwhile series to start. I didn't see it when it was originally on about 5-6 years ago, but I am about to finish the 4th and final season and I've enjoyed it a great deal.

It has a True Detective feel to it, and is available on Netflix.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2018 at 11:59 AM, Real McCoy said:

Bloodline is pretty damn good as well as Ozark.

Just started Peaky Blinders which thus far is great too.

Loved it until Season 3. Wow did that ever fall REALLY REALLY flat for me. Apparently the state of Florida ran out of funding for these crews to shoot movies in their states so they had to pack it up and end the series early and it really shows. Damn I was so bummed about Season 3, especially the last few episodes. 

On 2/16/2018 at 12:24 AM, GoBills808 said:

Didn’t make it through episode 2 of Ozark. Bateman badly miscast.

It gets really good......

27 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

Loved it until Season 3. Wow did that ever fall REALLY REALLY flat for me. Apparently the state of Florida ran out of funding for these crews to shoot movies in their states so they had to pack it up and end the series early and it really shows. Damn I was so bummed about Season 3, especially the last few episodes. 

Ir def. dwindled down for me the the 3rd season as well for me. Overall I was really satisfied with the show. 

Just finished Peaky, really like this show.  Finished Godless as well, not my top choice but was decent.

Onward bound to Altered Carbon

Edited by Real McCoy

Just finished Penny Dreadful.  Pretty good.  When you get Dr Frankenstein,  his Monster, the Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolfman, Dracula,  Renfield, Mina Harker, Dr Jekyll, Dr Van Helsing, Dorian Gray all in one series I'm in!  

I thought it was great when Dr Frankenstein was quoting Shelley.  

I haven't gone back and looked through the last few pages but I just started Dark on Netflix.  It's in German but has a Stranger Things kind of vibe to it, but darker.  Only 4 episodes in but it's pretty good so far. 

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

I haven't gone back and looked through the last few pages but I just started Dark on Netflix.  It's in German but has a Stranger Things kind of vibe to it, but darker.  Only 4 episodes in but it's pretty good so far. 

I posted a few days ago my love for "seven seconds" on Netflix. It just came out last week. One of my favorite shows I've seen on Netflix. Then again I'm a sucker for crime/drama's. Highly recommend it if you're into those kinda shows