Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

On 1/20/2018 at 9:16 AM, Greybeard said:

Thanks for this.  Was very enjoyable.  Never realized that was Kurt Russell's father.  Just as the story detailed, he was in a lot of things back then, and I think I saw a fair number of them.

It also contained some interesting things about minor league baseball I never knew.

You're welcome glad you enjoyed it

On 12/26/2017 at 8:14 PM, Steve O said:

For any baseball enthusiasts I highly recommend The Battered Bastards of Baseball. True documentary about an independent class A minor league team owned by Kurt Russell's father Bing. Not a farm team to anyone, the team played for five seasons in the 70's.

On 1/10/2018 at 2:54 PM, Tierlifer said:

It was really good! You will definitely enjoy it. 

On 1/20/2018 at 6:16 AM, Greybeard said:

Thanks for this.  Was very enjoyable.  Never realized that was Kurt Russell's father.  Just as the story detailed, he was in a lot of things back then, and I think I saw a fair number of them.

It also contained some interesting things about minor league baseball I never knew.

I finally watched the Battered Bastards of Baseball on Netflix a couple weeks ago on Saturday night.

I didn’t think nostalgia would hit that hard. It did. In Bill from NYC style a few thoughts:

1)      It was a nice tribute by Kurt to his father Bing. I learned a few things about Bing regarding his youth in Florida. I found it interesting that Bing moved from Maine to California in his youth.

2)      Kurt has made the Portland Mavericks legendary in this film. It was nice to know that I was a part of that legend as the Mavs had a habit of battering our first year independent ballclub when I played. I have always said I helped make the great ones greater. Some of my most memorable moments in the summer of 1977 involved Ozzie Smith, Dave Henderson and Kurt Russell.

3)      Jim Boutin and Mel Stottlemyre. I spent my childhood 13 miles way form NYC in New Jersey in the ‘60s. As a Yankee fan Jim Boutin and Mel Stottlemyre were part of my baseball memories. As a pitcher I did not get to face Boutin but I watched from the dugout as he threw a 2or3 hitter. His knuckle curve dropped off a table and our young guns couldn’t deal with that pitch. Mel Stottlemyre was the pitching coach for Bellingham (his sinker in the 60’s would drop off a table as well).  He was pitching batting practice before our game in Bellingham and a line drive hit him in the face and fractured his cheekbone. We were taking BP on the other field and I can still remember the sound of ball hitting the bat and then Mel. I tried to google this to no avail recently when Mel was battling cancer.

4)      Max Patkin and Bob Feller. As a precursor the “the show” Bing the actor would have events at the ballpark. I was at Civic stadium for Max Patkin number “?”and he was quite entertaining. I also go to meet Bob Feller when he was at the ballpark for a game.

5)      Steve Collette and Jim Swanson (Swannie). Steve wore number 13, was the player/manager and was pictured many times in the movie. Swannie was interviewed quite often which surprised me. These guys were no angels so that is probably how Kurt got the name for the movie. I was friends with Steve later on as we be played softball against each regularly when we got older.

6)      By 1977 the Mavs were an elite short A team. They won the southern division (as depicted near the end of the movie) with a seasoned roster of experienced minor league ball players. Some like Jim Boutin had major league experience. They eventually lost the league title to Northern division winner Bellingham. In 1977 Seattle reclaimed a major league franchise (previously the Seattle Pilots). Seattle had only 1 minor league team in 1977 and that was Bellingham. So, Bellingham had ex-major leaguers, AAA, AA and A ballplayers all on one team. Hence, they won the 1977 NWL championship. Bob Floyd was their manager and I still have his baseball card.

7)      Picture a spinning toy laden with adventure
Coupled with the things I've told
And a dream can be as one 
I have my moments now and again
I said I have my moments now and again

Started in a dream
 Wound him up on a baseball team

Yep nostalgia. Getting CRS in my old age so I hope I captured these memories accurately.

• Like (+1) 1

If I knew how to change thread titles, I'd add Amazon Prime and premium netowkrs to it...

Regardless, anyone catch the first episode of Counterpart with JK Simmons on Starz?  Looks like it could be fun.  Definitely a show you watch the first episode of while saying constantly "WTF is going on here?".

Edited by Heitz

Just wrapped up Ozark season 1, thought it was 50x better than bloodline and no boring episodes like breaking bad. 

Rachel at the inn ???

Every supporting actor was on point.    Gay fbi guy, Ruth and Russ, Buddy, and the Snells killed it.      Can’t wait for season 2 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I just finished watching the Punisher.

I think they did my favorite comic justice...they certainly couldn't have picked a better actor for the role.

I knew it had to happen but wasn't sure how they would do it... but man was that ending for the villain absolutely brutal.

51 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Which one? :o

Good point.:thumbsup:

I don't want to say too much in case of spoilers, so I'll just say it was the the one that happened last on the show.

Edited by shrader

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, Jauronimo said:

The End of the F@#$ing World

The term dark comedy doesn't do this show justice.  This show is twisted.  3 episodes in and really enjoying it.

This is the show I came in here to recommend.  Definitely the darkest comedy I've ever seen.  Loses the most of the comedy and turns to a dark drama by the end, but overall a really good show.

Also REALLY short.  I think it's like 8 30min episodes or something like that.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:54 AM, Kelly the Dog said:

Bosch is an excellent show, and extremely true to its source even though they combine characters and storylines. Titus is great. Although tough to beat Tommy from Peaky.

Welliver does the best Pacino impression ever.