14 games and Zay still doppping passes

Dadonkadonk

When do we go from it is too soon to this guy just can't catch?

He was dropping that sideline pass even before the defender started to make a play on the ball.

If I'm TT and Dennison I call a WR screen on the first series to get his head in the game.  

Edited by Dadonkadonk

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

My buddy and i had a clear view of the one you're talking about. Defender did a phenominal job. Had his hand on Zay's arm the whole way, just enough not to warrant a flag, then jarred it away.

I don’t know why the annocuers got all over him. That wasn’t a drop, the defender knocked it out of his hands after he caught it. 

Also, you just don’t drop a second round wide receiver. He is on a cheap rookie contract. You may not resign in, but you let his contract play out.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He needs to learn how to be more physical and to go and get the ball. You have to have the mentality that "that's my ball" and go up and snag it at it's highest point. He's much bigger than the corners so why is he getting out physicalled and waiting for the ball to fall in his hands instead of going up and grabbing it? He's playing like a scared little kid against men

31 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

He was dropping that sideline pass even before the defender started to make a play on the ball.

If I'm TT and Dennison I call a WR screen on the first series to get his head in the game.  

He only has a couple what they label as DROPS 

34 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

He had great hands in college, hopefully returns to form.

That deep pass on the sideline looked like a drop but it was a very good defensive play.

I suspect he will work hard in the off season and get a lot better. 

I recall people thought that Eric Moulds was not very good either.  Too early to say, he needs more time. 

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

I think the answer varies between those that saw him catch hundreds of balls vs those that only saw pro drops.

thats not to say he has a free pass but I suspect that how wide the leeway is on a transition into the league varies with how familiar you are with the guy at his best, not just his worst 

1 hour ago, KW95 said:

25 catches in 60 attempts

almost worst in NFL.

If Tyrod had never thrown to him all year and threw at anybody else, Tyrod likely in Pro Bowl.....yeah it is that bad.

1 hour ago, KW95 said:

He has the worst percentage in the league>. Im willing to keep him next year but if midway the season he has the same stats, get rid of him. Again, the worst percentage in the league.

If he was not drafted by McDerma he likely does not survive next year unless he shows he can catch. Another of a long list of stupid trade ups by Bills.

Edited by cba fan

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

He needs to learn how to be more physical and to go and get the ball. You have to have the mentality that "that's my ball" and go up and snag it at it's highest point. He's much bigger than the corners so why is he getting out physicalled and waiting for the ball to fall in his hands instead of going up and grabbing it? He's playing like a scared little kid against men

Probably needs to work on putting on weight and muscle in the off-season.  Likely a little different than playing against defenders in C-USA

There have been drops by Zay particually early this season, but faulting him for dropping that one is crazy.  That would have been a hell of a catch if he'd made it.

an analyst ' i think is was Romo and i could be wrong, say that the defender put his hand on Zay's arm early in the play . not enough to cause a penalty and then when the ball arrived , jerked his arm, the analyst said that it is a rookie error in that when Say felt the hand on his arm he should have acted  to it and put his arm down and the official would have to call P.I.

On 12/16/2017 at 4:47 PM, vorpma said:

I tell you what gullible is, thinking the Bills were going to be a serious playoff contender with Watkins, Darby, Darius or any other fan favorite that we dumped this year!  

3 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

My buddy and i had a clear view of the one you're talking about. Defender did a phenominal job. Had his hand on Zay's arm the whole way, just enough not to warrant a flag, then jarred it away.

6 minutes ago, papazoid said:

bills moved up in draft to take zay. traded their 44th (2nd) & 91st (3rd) for the rams 37th (2nd) & 149th (5th)

Pit took juju smith shuster at 62 (2nd)

Juju has come on but the staff does not like young players and he is young even for a rookie. Oh well.

Corey Davis, Mike Williams and John Ross were all taken in the top 10 and have produced less, even with injuries considered. Zay will work through the issues he's had I think. 

6 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Zay Jones is going to be good.  He looks the part to me.

He looks the part how?

Stuff like this just passes as knowledgeable but someone throws out something that actually supports their point and they get dismissed.

He's caught 25 of 60 targets, and that's not all on him, but he is responsible for that too.

He doesn't at all look the part other than he's an athletic guy, and his level of athleticism is a dime a dozen, it's not hard to find at all. 

Marquise Goodwin is looking like a world beater compared to him. That's a guy with athleticism that separates him from most other prospects. And Tyrod hasn't been good, but Marquise was performing before the trade for Jimmy G. He was playing good with QB's on Tyrod's level. Only two things can really be used to separate the two, the player himself, or the coaching. That's the real place where blame needs to be laid and most of you on here won't want anything to do with blaming either for Zay's struggles.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Big C said:

Juju has come on but the staff does not like young players and he is young even for a rookie. Oh well.

Corey Davis, Mike Williams and John Ross were all taken in the top 10 and have produced less, even with injuries considered. Zay will work through the issues he's had I think. 

I'm not blaming you but that is ridiculous. The staff doesn't like young players... So most legit first round talent they don't like because they are good enough to come out and get paid before using up all NCAA eligibility. It's like these guys don't like or want talent. It worries me that this kind of attitude may be prevalent in the decision making circles.

Love Kyle Williams, love Freddie... But I'll take talent all day every day over guys who work their asses off. I hate that stupid blue collar bs so many people eat up. Sorry to go on a rant. 

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm not blaming you but that is ridiculous. The staff doesn't like young players... So most legit first round talent they don't like because they are good enough to come out and get paid before using up all NCAA eligibility. It's like these guys don't like or want talent. It worries me that this kind of attitude may be prevalent in the decision making circles.

Love Kyle Williams, love Freddie... But I'll take talent all day every day over guys who work their asses off. I hate that stupid blue collar bs so many people eat up. Sorry to go on a rant. 

All good. It is just clear that they want players with plenty of college experience and maturity. And frankly it isn't looking that bad so far. White, Dawkins and Milano are all contributing and we shouldn't give up on Zay too soon.