What do you fix first? OL or QB?

3 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Some people say you need to have a good OL in order for a QB to be successful. Some say a good QB makes the OL look better.

What do you all think is more important?

Focus all resources on getting the QB first, b/c without him, the OL doesn't matter.

Once you have a pretty good idea that you have the right QB, I would expend resources that directly help the QB.

That means OL, WR, Gronk type huge TE if you can find one.

I woud NOT expend resources, first, on something far removed from the QB position, like DT for example.

The QB and the important pieces directly related to his performance are what counts!  

If you have that, you will remain in and win a lot of games.

2 hours ago, kevnallen said:

If you see a franchise QB, grab him. Franchise QBs are very hard to find. If the QB isn’t likely a franchise play, go with the best player available 

I would modify this statement:

If you see a franchise QB, grab him. Franchise QBs are very hard to find. If the QB isn’t likely a franchise play, go with the best player available if it fills a need, if best player available does not fill a need, trade down and compile more picks.

• Like (+1) 1

A QB is the most important player on any team. The GM and Coach know that this is what will keep them around for 4-10 years. The ONLY teams to make the playoffs and sniff the championship games have quality QBs. The fact is that teams draft 2-3 very good offensive linemen, but the good ones also grab late round players and coach them up. Coaching, scheme and coachable players are the key. Note: TE is not mentioned in this, because of Clay's contract, but it is the in the top 5 most important positions for a QB (LT, RB, TE, C and WR). WR last, because it is the threat of a run game and the "check down"/"mismatch" players that help a QB have time to go through progressions and learn a system properly.

I would trade 2x first picks and a 3rd to get my guy and use the 2x second round picks on 2 potential starters at any position. Are offensive line is close to being fixed. RG/RT is key (note: we have Groy as back up for 3 positions). IF and a huge maybe, if Glen can get healthy and play RT, then a guard would be a great addition. Note: Wood and/or Glen need to go soon to save cap.

The unfortunate thing is that this philosophy puts us another 2 years away from a great team. We need to shed cap and replace most of the defense over time. Look at the players closely (age, average players, free agents). Offensively, we need receivers. Look at what Goff and Wentz has.

2018 Draft

Round #1 QB (Leader, Pocket Awareness, Blue Chip), Round #2 G (power blocker), Round #2 WR (deep threat), Round #4 RB (strong class), 5-7 DT, LB, CB

- protect the passer and add weapons for growth

- own the time clock and play field position battles

Free Agents: 1-3 defensive starters (1 at each level)

Note: If we stay put and take a QB (Mayfield), then I believe that we can be more competitive in 2018. I am not comfortable with that at this point, but not opposed. 

2019 Draft

DEFENSE and more DEFENSE!!!

Fill the holes

Use both 1st round picks and trade for a QB. 

If that doesn't work trade both 1st round picks and a 5th pick this year and a pick next year for a QB.

If that doesn't work trade both 1st round picks and a second round pick for a QB.

If that doesn't work trade both 1st round picks, a second and a pick next year for a QB.

If that doesn't work trade both 1st round picks and  a 1st round pick next yea for a QB.

GET THE POINT!

Well if your rookie QB you traded up for gets carted off the field after taking a serious pounding you may have an answer.

I'd fix the O-line first. No QB drafted is gonna get settled in and find a rythm behind a Swiss cheese line.

If QB is the most important position on the field you would think you would want to invest heavy into protecting him. Especially if it's a rookie looking to find his stride.

Edited by Lfod

6 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Some people say you need to have a good OL in order for a QB to be successful. Some say a good QB makes the OL look better.

If you think you have a shot at a real qb, the answer to nearly any nfl question is take the qb and sort the rest out later.

when you start talking fix the OL or take a flyer on a long shot qb that obviously changes 

6 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

that's a good question. IMO for this team anyways, I'd get the QB 1st. Whether it be  a high draft pick or someone like maybe a Kirk Cousins. Either way this Oline has had it's flaws, but I think they have some guys that are pretty good. Maybe just a "tune up" would be needed. The rookie Dawkins is showing good promise so if we could get the right side of the line fixed with a couple key guys any QB should be "okay".

Every Oline is going to get beaten from time to time. Even the best in the NFL,  but it's time for this franchise in particular to get their QB, whomever it be and piece together the rest from there.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

QB is by far the most important position on the team and OL talent is sparce. I say QB first, definitely. Just don't trade off Taylor for Cousins because that would be pointless. If you can't sign or draft someone that is or you believe strongly will soon be a top tier QB, you might as well keep Taylor or go with Peterman if you think he can be a stop gap or better. Cousins is better, but not all that much. We need to shoot for the stars. After all, there are 31 other teams after that Lombardi trophy. If you want to get to the top, you can't be aimed at the middle. I know you can't have probowlers at every position, but having one of the best at QB is a huge competitive advantage.

Edited by GreggTX

I can't believe anyone is saying, thinking or believing our OL is pretty good. We have one maybe two serviceable OLman. Mills and our RG whether it is Vlad or Miller are beyond bad. Wood is bottom half at C. I like RI but he's not played as well this year. Dawkins seems to be the real deal and Glenn has been good in the past, but must really be hurting to miss so much time. So draft one of the top 4-5 QBs in this draft and pray they live through the evolution of the OL. What happened to Peterman in SD was a travesty. His mistake was trying to make something happen with zero chance of success.  After we get the QB, go heavy on OL and DL please!

13 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Get your quarterback

Protect your quarterback

Get to the other teams quarterback

This!  All three of these needs should be addressed in this year's Draft and all three can be with the number of early round picks the Bills have.  The only thing that will screw this up is when the Front Office gets cute and starts trading up to get 'their' guy.  History has already taught us that drafting accuracy is not all that good for any team...especially the Buffalo Bills.  If you Trust the Process during the season, you also have to the Trust the Process in the off season.

9 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

OC and then OL Coaching.
O Line needs work and I would truly like that bolstered. Richie and Wood are nearly done. Ducasse and Mills are not really starters.
Glenn is a question.
Groy good.

Dawkins good, Hendy has some value still
so much work to do.

and then it WRs.

and then its Lbs

and then its D line and then depth in the secondary.
oh and another TE or two

that said

Draft the QB

18 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Get your quarterback

Protect your quarterback

Get to the other teams quarterback

Hired !

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL

Draft a Safety and make him a Cornerback.

Draft a Cornerback and make him a Safety.

Do I got this right?

Those are ALL right....but you have to remember to leave yourself a calendar note to trade them away in Year Three of their rookie contract.......done!

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The only answer here is QB.

Uh, no.  There are a boatload of free agents out there, the draft and trade options.  You work on QB, OL, WR, TE, RB, DL, LB and secondary.  Not one of these positions will have all the same starters or depth next year.  Not one. 

Edited by keepthefaith

If we were starting from scratch, I'd say o-line every time. We actually have a decent o-line with depth, so QB all the way in our situation. I'd prefer a vet QB with a high pick understudy though. Maybe Alex Smith, and Josh Allen? Josh Allen seems to be more like Cam Newton with his size and athleticism, and I doubt we would have to trade up too far to get him.  

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this, we have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and both our lines are in trouble. Drafting a QB and putting him behind a sub par O line is going to amount in a bust in my opinion. would we not be better off drafting a RT and trying to get rid of Glenn in a Trade?

We should be looking at RT, And a LG to replace Richie as well as a Tackle to replace Kyle Maybe 2 tackles we also need another pass rusher, i like Shaq, he can set the edge but he did struggle a bit the last couple of games but If we cant keep the QB off the ground and safe its a wasted pick.

I am not even sure Petterman cant be the guy with a line in front of him, he does have a strong enough arm, a fast release, decent runner, i bet he is a different QB with a Line in front of him.

I just think the days of letting your #1 pick if a qb have a season to develop, if P. Manning came out today, he may never have played past the 3rd or 4th game, never mine a whole season.

If i was drafting i would be looking at draft players in expensive positions like LT, RT, DT, Pass Rusher, QB and corners most they other positions we need like RG, LG and LB we can get deals on, I just dont think we have a strong enough line to draft a QB and expect a result. 

If we do this and let Petterman play a season he is either a different QB behind a good line or a bust in which case hopefully we can draft a qb in 19 with a great Oline, just look at Philly and Dallas two extremes, a first rounder and a 4th rounder bit both teams have great lines

so go ahead and rip me a new one.

14 hours ago, Lfod said:

Well if your rookie QB you traded up for gets carted off the field after taking a serious pounding you may have an answer.

I'd fix the O-line first. No QB drafted is gonna get settled in and find a rythm behind a Swiss cheese line.

If QB is the most important position on the field you would think you would want to invest heavy into protecting him. Especially if it's a rookie looking to find his stride.

Same plan Buffalo used for 17 years. Great plan. If the QB can read a defense and has a quick release O line does not have to work that much.