How did you find TBD

fansince88

Thought this would be fun. Back in 2009  I was trying to find out what was going on for the NFL draft. When I searched I typed in Buffalo Bills News sites and this page came up. Wasnt until September after reading the news here every day that I realized I could sign up and join the forum. Been here nearly daily since then making friends. Thanks for this SDS Lets go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1

Hmm... I've pretty much been coming here since day one, in the mid to late '90's.

At that time I was living in Colorado, in the middle of Broncos territory and needed to get my Bills info.  Before the internets, the only place to hear about the Bills was the old Shout! newspaper, and from Chris Berman during NFL Primetime.

Are there any posters here that used to be affiliated with the Shout! newspaper?  I always looked forward to finding a new copy in my mailbox.

Anyway, the internet came about and so did TBD.  Thank God.

That said, I've been visiting the site just about every friggin' day, from many locations around the world.  I can just imagine how much work time and productivity I've wasted all those years. Sad.

Wasn't this forum originally affiliated with a newspaper,  (The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, perhaps?) before it became it's own stand-alone website and forum?

If anyone remembers the history of TBD, I'd love to hear it.

Let's go Buffalo!!

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Hmm... I've pretty much been coming here since day one, in the late '90's.

Wasn't this forum originally affiliated with a newspaper,  (The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, perhaps?) before it became it's own stand-alone website and forum?

That said, I've been visiting the site just about every friggin' day since.  Sad.

If anyone remembers the history of TBD, I'd love to hear it.

Let's go Buffalo!!

Thats interesting. How did this page come about? Great question! 

I found it as a link to get the articles many, many moons ago. I eventually stumbled onto the knuckleheads inside, and now I rarely read an article. I think SDS is napping, so maybe we’ll get the recap when he recovers. 

6 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Thats interesting. How did this page come about? Great question! 

Scott can answer better, but it was when the D&C was shutting down their message board. 

As to the original question, I was looking for pictures of the Jills, sometime around 1997, and Scott was hosting a webpage for them on TBD.

3 minutes ago, Idandria said:

I was at work one day and looked over a co-workers shoulder to see what he was doing on his computer. He was on TBD. 

I remembered the catchy name, and checked out the website. I've been a regular since. 

And THAT is why you NEVER go to work! It can ruin your life, exposing you to all the bad people out there. 

I used to visit gobills.com for news and commentary on the Bills (some guy who called himself GG used to write a lot there);  would like to hear the story of that site too.

I don't remember how but it led me over here at some point in the late 90s.  I think the site was redone and everyone re-registered in 2001.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

1998 back when it was part of the Rochester D&C. 

The D&C site was called HyperBills.

As I recall it Scott notified a bunch of us just before D&C pulled the plug that he was starting a site to replace HyperBills and that's how TBD/TSW started.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I used to visit gobills.com for news and commentary on the Bills (some guy who called himself GG used to write a lot there);  would like to hear the story of that site too.

I don't remember how but it led me over here at some point in the late 90s.  I think the site was redone and everyone re-registered in 2001.

I think this was how I discovered TBD also. Although I don't fully remember.

Sometime in 2004 I officially joined. But, I found it originally after the stupid playoff game in Tennessee. Somehow my dad, who can barely work the internet found it first and employed me to read the commentary from the game threads to him. Also, we both thought the stevestojan filter was the funniest damned thing on the internet. 

I am pretty sure my first post was about Brady having no arm and being a complete system guy that would be out of the league in 4 years. It was a solid start. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As I recall it Scott notified a bunch of us just before D&C pulled the plug that he was starting a site to replace HyperBills and that's how TBD/TSW started.

Hard to really recall it all... But I was a frequent visitor to that HyperBills site ..that may be where I got my profile pic actually..  But lurked for years getting my Bills fix (I imagine if I pulled out some old backup drives, I could still get the bookmarked url from the original site in my old Netscape Navigator backup.)

The new interwebs were so much faster than my Shout! Magazine... It always arrived Monday, after the game.  I still read it.  But, reading articles in the D&C and discussions on the HyperBills boards got me through graduate school!  I think I signed up in '02 after working on the pile for months ..I just needed something to talk about other than the real world for a while. Been coming here pretty much daily every since. 

I think it was 2007 or 2008 when I found it through a link.

I just lurked for a while reading the threads.

Then in 2009  just before the season started I signed up.

I still mostly lurked to read the threads.

This place just came across as more mature/stable/knowledgeable than the BBMB/although there were a few quality posters there.

Went through some hard times in the 90s and didn't even own a computer till I came south for work in 98. Lost all my sources of Bills info with the move and came across the Bills web site (and BBMB) by accident.  As a computer illiterate (something I am to this day, and proud of it) never looked anywhere else for news and comment on my Bills. Lurked more than commented, I have no illusions about my ability to add much that's useful to the conversation.  Was shocked when BBMB disappeared but remembered folks using TBD as a reference source and wound up here. 

You would do well to continue to actively self police your site as the number of crazies out there seems to be increasing exponentially. There were some good guys at BBMB (like Shaw and Teef) and glad to find them here as well. Those of you that put down and discredit the BBMB pedigree need to remember it ain't where you come from that counts, it's where you're going.

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Thanks! I was wracking my age - addled brain to remember what the D&C called the site.