How did you find TBD

fansince88

6 hours ago, JinxedBill1 said:

Came here after BBMB went down.  Was on there for a decade plus.

Same here. I'm still not really sure why the Bills stopped hosting a chat room for their own fans....but then again there's very little about what the Bills organization does that I ever understand.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Same here. I'm still not really sure why the Bills stopped hosting a chat room for their own fans....but then again there's very little about what the Bills organization does that I ever understand.

I am a proud refugee myself.

Really makes me wonder how it affects their overall web traffic, because I know that I used to be on that page multiple times a day. Now I’ve gone on about 5 times this season, and it’s only to manage my season ticket account.

This place is way better anyways, BBMB was way over moderated and turned too ‘company line’. 

6 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I am a proud refugee myself.

Really makes me wonder how it affects their overall web traffic, because I know that I used to be on that page multiple times a day. Now I’ve gone on about 5 times this season, and it’s only to manage my season ticket account.

This place is way better anyways, BBMB was way over moderated and turned too ‘company line’. 

Likewise, I only go to the team website to watch the press conferences now.

It wasn't until I moved out of WNY in the mid-aughts that I felt a need to find a Bills message board. I saw what was out there and saw the two biggest boards were BBMB and this place. I registered for both but quickly realized BBMB was a complete sh*tshow that either wasn't moderated at all, or was moderated by a million monkeys at a million keyboards. Chaos reigned at BBMB, and so I stuck with this joint that at least had some semblance of organization to it. 

Edited by jimmy10

Don't remember EXACTLY how but I know I google searched for something Bills related and clicked and here I was.

I only have 1 real life buddy who is a Bills fan (now 2) so nobody referred me to this site. I got here on my own. 

Really tough for a person like me who is born and raised in Queens NY surrounded by Giants and Jets fans. Also I'm not tech savvy so when I found out about TBD where I can talk about and read about the team I love with fans who share the same joy and pain I feel, it was a no brainer. This would be my go to for Bills news.

I used to visit this site as a guest for a long time without posting anything then I made an account before this one but had a different screen name so I made this one instead (not tech savvy so I didn't know I could just change my username if I wanted).

I remember 26CB when he was here with his 1st few posts of breaking news. I was like wow this guy got the news out so Quick. 

I found TBD by "chance" some would say. But I would say I was "searching" for it.

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I found the Hyperbills site in 1995, when I first experienced the internet the day of the Buffalo earthquake.. (5.25.95)

When Hyperbills was shut down, I made the transition to TBD.

I kept the internet rookie all CAPS screen name. :-)

And soon thereafter I started inviting people to our open tailgate and that's where I met:

You

Lori

Bob Lamb

Rockpile

Cablelady

89 (Cindy)

Jester

Simon

Jay

Jack

Bill from NYC

Petrino

Lancaster Steve

Bill in Livonia

Joesixpack

R.Rich

NJ Sue

UDonkey

I know I am forgetting a lot of folks but we had new people coming thru on the regular and some might have changed names too.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Thank you (+1) 2

i was allowed so much internet time back in the day - 1994-1996ish.  hyper bills on D&C.  would print articles to read later.  included comment sections and some of the forums - i'd print those.  i was like 14ish so i couldn't join.  but i'd read everyones thoughts and remembered a ton of the names.

i found two bills drive in 1998 when the site only had the articles - i think it was about then.

in 2000 or 2001 the first tailgate happened.  i was 18/19ish and saw the tent and lurked for years.  joined in 2002.  posted briefly.  forgot my name during the offseason.  started again in 2003 right after the home opener and remembering the site from seeing the tent for the tailgate and joined.

2004 i went over the to tent but no one knew who i was because i posted to so little and only had a short amount of time.  i remember seeing someone who i knew who they were and they knew who i was but that person no longer posts here and i can't remember for the life of me who it was.

2004 season sucked, i stopped caring about football for a while.  watched some games sparingly until 2008/9 and eventually logged back on to here after often lurking for 5 years.  my first post back was to completely obliterate two comments made in threads about what was wrong with our defense.  i finished by saying... "i haven't posted in over 4 years but i had to address this post."  beerball, i think it was, replied "great insight, see you in 2014."

I found it from the recommendation of aussiew. Because of my friendship,I began following the Bills. I'd hear stories from the fans there at the table while watching the Bills at the Backers Bar. I wanted to learn the team and understand WNY better so I started reading TBD. On November 22 ( yes another anniversary of the JFK assination) 2008 I became a member.

21 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

1998 back when it was part of the Rochester D&C. 

21 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Scott can answer better, but it was when the D&C was shutting down their message board. 

This. I used to occasionally post on the Rochester D & C board under a different name but mostly just lurked and read there.

I lived in Coral Springs Fl. when I bought my 1st computer in 1998 just to find Bills news. Stumbled across Bills Daily and then message board. 15 yr old neighbor had to show me how to use a computer...lol...I lurked almost every day til I joined a few years ago.

21 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Hmm... I've pretty much been coming here since day one, in the mid to late '90's.

At that time I was living in Colorado, in the middle of Broncos territory and needed to get my Bills info.  Before the internets, the only place to hear about the Bills was the old Shout! newspaper, and from Chris Berman during NFL Primetime.

Are there any posters here that used to be affiliated with the Shout! newspaper?  I always looked forward to finding a new copy in my mailbox.

Anyway, the internet came about and so did TBD.  Thank God.

That said, I've been visiting the site just about every friggin' day, from many locations around the world.  I can just imagine how much work time and productivity I've wasted all those years. Sad.

Wasn't this forum originally affiliated with a newspaper,  (The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, perhaps?) before it became it's own stand-alone website and forum?

If anyone remembers the history of TBD, I'd love to hear it.

Let's go Buffalo!!

Great stuff!  I have been a bills fan since ‘66 approximately. My dad was watching a game on tv and it was the jets v bills. He was for the jets and I liked the helmet , name ,and had fun rooting against my dad that day and have been with the bills since. I had forgotten about Shout !  I got it with pro football weekly to follow the nfl and actually played fantasy football back then and used those two papers for info about who to start. Actually won a city wide league in Jax being a bills homey and had several bills on my roster. I still have most of the shout papers and all the sports illustrated mags with the bills Super Bowl coverage on them stored in a storage unit.  I don’t exactly remember finding TBD, but like many of you I joined back in 2001!  I think you beat me by a month according to our profiles. Have been here ever since.  Thanks for reminding me of Shout. !  

I developed some some close friends on here including #89( Cindy) and cablelady ( Harriet ).  My father passed from lymphoma in Jan 2002 and I posted about it here on TBD , , and #89 reached out with her sympathy. That part I will never forget. TBD has helped during rough times and so many fabulous hours giving me insight from some great people on the board. Scott has always been amazing and I can’t thank him enough for being my first source of all things Bills. Really love the people here and check in daily. Funny thing is I have been a bills fan all these years , actually went to SB’s 27 and 28 which I was able to take my parents to before my father passed ( Mom still alive in Ohio at age 91!), yet unfortunately I have never made it to Buffalo to actually take it all in live at least once. So still have that on my bucket list !  

OP, great topic!   Thanks for that and to Scott and TBD for years of fellowship thru all the ups and downs of being a Bills fan for life!?‍????

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And soon thereafter I started inviting people to our open tailgate and that's where I met:

You

Lori

Bob Lamb

Rockpile

Cablelady

89 (Cindy)

Jester

Simon

Jay

Jack

Bill from NYC

Petrino

Lancaster Steve

Bill in Livonia

Joesixpack

R.Rich

NJ Sue

UDonkey

I know I am forgetting a lot of folks but we had new people coming thru on the regular and some might have changed names too.

So many names on that list no longer here. Sad.

18 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

So many names on that list no longer here. Sad.

Some of the more infamous people who are no longer on TSW like Hogboy and Ice are still communicating regularly with the guys I tailgate with.........and Bob Lamb moved back to Buffalo so he's been at the tailgates recently.   Someone said Yolo was UDonkey but I don't know about that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, dickleyjones said:

i don't remember exactly how i found it, i was going a little crazy as i was about to be a 20 year old new dad and i needed something to occupy my mind a bit. i probably searched 'buffalo bills forum' into altavista using netscape.

it looked mostly like this: https://web.archive.org/web/19990429095153/http://twobillsdrive.com:80/

Clicked the link, that was a blast from the past! Haha thanks for posting! Got to laugh, draft picks wernt as highly regarded back then. In 1980 the Bills traded pick #10 for #17 & a 3rd!

I found TBD 5 years or so ago while searching Bills info. I was a member of BBMB and would come lurk here as a guest. I didnt sign up till "the shut down". As bad as BBMB was, it was an easier forum for me to use. When i only had a couple minutes throughout the work day to check out whats goin on there was 30 new threads and could get info quickly as opposed to having to skim through a 51 page thread here.

I have since learned to navigate the site since joining and have really come to appreciate the knowledge that is shared and the much higher quaility of posters all around! Thank you TBD and a HUGE thank you to @SDS !!!!!!

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Some of the more infamous people who are no longer on TSW like Hogboy and Ice are still communicating regularly with the guys I tailgate with.........and Bob Lamb moved back to Buffalo so he's been at the tailgates recently.   Someone said Yolo was UDonkey but I don't know about that.

'Ice' is also still in the fantasy football league I'm in, run by R.Rich.

Before this site I used to get some Bills publication I can’t remember the name of. It was the best way to get info before the internet changed the world...but for the life of me I can’t remember the name of it. Bills Daily/Weekly? I’d read it then take it to my dad, you’d have thought it was gold bars. I miss those days....and him. 

Edited by Augie

12 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I was at an AA meeting back in 2007 or so;  the site was listed on several ads in the men’s bathroom. 

Ive been hooked ever since. 

Original advertising was on the bottom of the shot glass, but the print was too small. Being bleary eyed and all didn’t help with focus. After several attempts, they found something more effective. 

On 11/4/2017 at 5:57 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

1998 back when it was part of the Rochester D&C. 

Exactly.  I was in last year of med school and remember the joy of being able to get 'local' articles via DandC....though I was hours away  (that new fancy internet thing was cool).  I found the twobillsdrive site and officially joined a few years later.  

On 11/4/2017 at 8:58 PM, Just Jack said:

Scott can answer better, but it was when the D&C was shutting down their message board. 

As to the original question, I was looking for pictures of the Jills, sometime around 1997, and Scott was hosting a webpage for them on TBD.

Do you go to Hercules Gym in Syracuse, or just your avatar?

20 hours ago, chris heff said:

I Googled "spleen injuries".

Haha!!! Priceless!

This has gone over better than I thought  4 pages. Got to wonder why so many have come and gone. Like many here that have replied I do check the main page daily. Often check a couple times a day.

• Like (+1) 1