Texans ready to walk out on owner after “inmate” comments

YoloinOhio

good, than keep that idiot Kaepernick off the field, tell Michael Bennett he owes money for slandering LV, tell the whole lot of the idiots that they will loose out on game checks for their nonsense.

How's that for starters?

Yeah! Make sure those boys know their place!

how is it racially insensitive unless you characterize blacks as inmates? Only a racist would do that.

We must have missed all of the white players kneeling for racial equality...

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it sad though? How does it effect you?

Am I the only one that just doesn't care about this stuff? I keep seeing these threads get started on a weekly basis and 75% of you guys just talk in circles. I don't watch or follow football for it's politics. I also don't care if the players kneel. I don't care if there are flyovers. I watch football to be entertained by the sport, not by it's fans and their political persuasions. It's not like I don't have my own ideologies, but lately I have tried as hard as I can to separate them entirely from watching football.

Good post. I feel similar but compartmentalize it. The entire issue has absolutely zero affect on watching the team or games or NFL football. Zero. Regardless of who is right or wrong.

I don't mind talking about the social issues, individual actions or comments, and conversing/arguing with idjits. ;)

lol what?

I didn't say he shouldn't be playing, I said that his words and actions have consequences. Even if those consequences are unfair.

You know what, never mind. I'm backing slowly away from you and will not engage again. My bad. You're remind me of someone I once knew who was a blithering idiot. Not that I'm comparing you to him, of course. I would never do that.

Nope. Wouldn't do it.

Absolutely walk away. It's the only solution when you get that sort of a response.

OK, just for the record. There is not nor has there ever been an expression (or figure of speech) that "the inmates are running the prison". He bastardized the phrase "inmates running the asylum"

It's not a huge difference except in the context of a meeting about social justice and race, it implies he sees the employees as property or prisoners. It doesn't take a genius to understand that the leagues players are mostly black and that community is subject to much higher rates of incarceration than white people. This is the exact point of the protests to begin with.

The reason that matters is Asylum implies crazy, this does not have a racial component to it as mental health care basically sucks for everyone. Prison does.

Now if he had said it correctly nobody bats an eyelash. It does have a Freudian slip feel to it.

Edited by blitzboy54

McNair said something stupid, but the players are overreacting.

Was it tho? Michael Bennett broke the law and then lied to the world claiming he was abused by a police officer. He is one of the key figures in the "protest". So its not like the comment is way off base. And the analogy of people at the bottom controlling people at the top is very true.

Dumb.

1. It's a figure of speech, although technically I think it goes "inmates running the asylum"

2. How horrible of McNair not wanting his employees staging protests on company time on company property. I totally respect the players right to protest anything they want, but do it on your own time in a public place. The teams and networks don't owe anyone that forum.

I'm gonna say ownership assumes players under contract are always on company time, this is why their off the field behavior can get them in trouble with the organization.

I still go back to the fact that this is a 45 second statement, done peacefully, and usually not even on TV, before the game starts.

I used to get so annoyed at players praying during games, but never made a big deal out of it. Didn't like them demonstrating about their religion during 'my time' watching the game. I remember the full Bills team praying at mid field. Why was that ok?

Consider application of the law. It's not that people shouldn't be punished, but they aren't punished proportionately. Non-violent offenders are more likely to go to jail if they are a minority.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Prisoner_Demographics.svg

Equality doesn't mean we all have the same everything, it means we're all treated the same regardless of what we look like or how much money we make. That has never been achieved, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it.

Take the money out of it and see what happens to that statistic. I say a well to do person of any color is less likely to go jail than a working class person of any color.

Its not just the racial insensitivity of the remark, which is pretty obvious, especially for the large number of player who grew up in the South. Its the idea of the owners having the same sort of power relationship over the players as a prison warden over the inmates. The NFL talks a lot about its partnership with the players, and this flies in the face of that.

You hit the nail on the head here.

Was it tho? Michael Bennett broke the law and then lied to the world claiming he was abused by a police officer.

Bennett broke the law? Really? I have not heard that anywhere. Do you have inside information here or are you just making stuff up? And tell us again how he lied? Edited by mannc

Good post. I feel similar but compartmentalize it. The entire issue has absolutely zero affect on watching the team or games or NFL football. Zero. Regardless of who is right or wrong.

I don't mind talking about the social issues, individual actions or comments, and conversing/arguing with idjits. ;)

See the thing is... there are places I go to talk about social issues. When it comes to football, I see nothing but talking points and bad political discourse. There's never been a comment I've seen in a football forum that's helped reshape the way I feel about a social topic. That's not even saying that I'm actively trying to be close-minded or that I'm being difficult, it's just this isn't the proper mechanism for it. We're more divided now than ever before and some of us watch football to get away from that.

He should have said the clowns are running the circus. Then the only the redheads would be upset.

That is good. Very good. You are a problem solver.

He would have been self deprecating by calling himself(and owners) the circus. I think this statement would have gone over unnoticed.

Edited by cba fan

Damn. I feel like freedom of speech not being the same as freedom of consequences shouldn't be hard for people to understand. Kneel and it may have adverse consequences. Equate NFL players to criminals, it may have adverse consequences. You're free to say and do anything you want; it doesn't mean you're free of any problems that it may create.

Understand now?

Tremendous, BC. Well said.

Damn. I feel like freedom of speech not being the same as freedom of consequences shouldn't be hard for people to understand. Kneel and it may have adverse consequences. Equate NFL players to criminals, it may have adverse consequences. You're free to say and do anything you want; it doesn't mean you're free of any problems that it may create.

Understand now?

:thumbsup:

I don't think people understood that "Inmates Running the Asylum" is just a colloquialism and metaphor about there needing to be someone in charge. It doesn't literally mean that the players are prisoners in this context. I get the sensitivity of the players given the atmosphere of the league and the country. Seems to me like it was a bad choice of words and even though in context they aren't ill intended it definitely can come across that way.

See the thing is... there are places I go to talk about social issues. When it comes to football, I see nothing but talking points and bad political discourse. There's never been a comment I've seen in a football forum that's helped reshape the way I feel about a social topic. That's not even saying that I'm actively trying to be close-minded or that I'm being difficult, it's just this isn't the proper mechanism for it. We're more divided now than ever before and some of us watch football to get away from that.

Bingo, 100% spot on.

We are more divided now than we have ever been, absolutely true. All this rhetoric is NOT go to change any hearts or minds, anyone idealistically naive enough to believe this will be sadly disappointed.

Am I the only one that just doesn't care about this stuff? I keep seeing these threads get started on a weekly basis and 75% of you guys just talk in circles. I don't watch or follow football for it's politics. I also don't care if the players kneel. I don't care if there are flyovers. I watch football to be entertained by the sport, not by it's fans and their political persuasions. It's not like I don't have my own ideologies, but lately I have tried as hard as I can to separate them entirely from watching football.

This^

Bennett broke the law? Really? I have not heard that anywhere. Do you have inside information here or are you just making stuff up? And tell us again how he lied?

He claimed police racism and police misconduct... it is illegal to falsly report an incident. Then it was proven with cameras then none of what he claimed happened.

this thread seems to be going well.

seems we now live in a "you hurt my little feelings" society.

softies when it comes to the kneeling, softies when it comes to an owner calling players inmates.

as for them walking out, go for it. let the drama continue.

the owners and players need to come to some sort of agreement to put this in the past. But just like CBA negotiations, it's never easy with these 2 groups.

I agree with this 100%

He claimed police racism and police misconduct... it is illegal to falsly report an incident. Then it was proven with cameras then none of what he claimed happened.

I don't believe this is correct. He may have been incorrect in his view of what happened, but i don't believe being wrong(and not saying that he was right or wrong) is a crime in this type of instance.

This is the dumbest thing I've read since the Anquan Boldin thread.

It's a common phrase, with a colloquial understanding, which was stated incorrectly. There is no inference of racism.

This is just more horseshit from idiots looking for things to be offended about where no offense exists.

Agreed. I'm curious if he still would have been upset if he used the more common "inmates running the asylum" instead of prison.

This is a great point. And no I dont think so. But it makes you wonder why McNairs mind decides on prison instead when thats not even the proper phrase.