Texans ready to walk out on owner after “inmate” comments

YoloinOhio

As I read more of your comments it seems like you are adding in your opinion as facts. I have yet to hear any player say that 'everyone' that disagrees with them are racists and I would guess that most, if not all of them would totally disagree with you on that point.

And, unironically say his point is based in white privilege (racist)...

1y4ff7.jpg

Edited by Paulus

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they aren't getting more mainstream. They are getting less mainstream in a more interconnected world. They're more visible than they've ever been because of modern media and the internet, but there are fewer of them than ever before.

Shhh.....that's not helping the narrative of 'wild hordes of white supremacists and racist cops around every corner' that the left is using as its cornerstone for the 2018 mid-terms.

Kind of ironic this is the same group of people who get so outraged over similarly unfounded anti-Muslim hysteria.

Edited by KD in CA

i don't mean anything personal by this but, are you sure? there is a strong undercurrent of victimhood that is very prevalent throughout today's society.

perhaps it all began when the entitlement programs began....

I didn't take it personally, but I can only speak of what I know. I don't see the 'victimhood' around me. Does it happen somewhere ? Likely yes. But i'm not sure if it's for the reason most people think. I employ a great number of lower income, minorities. I've learned a lot about how they live. It's pretty eye opening. Many choose their own fate, but many also really have little or no chance to escape the poverty and horrible surroundings many of them grow up in. It's complicated.

Edited by klos63

It's just an expression--yes, poor choice of words, but good grief...are the players really this thin-skinned?

I can't put my finger on them right now but IIRC, McNair has said some other things that were not exactly PC toward his players.

I suspect this is just another brick in the wall he's building...

not trying to single you out here but...

there is a reason why it is called a kids game. that is because most people who play it began playing it as a kid. in fact, most games are kid games. it is a saying, much like, 'the inmates run the asylum'........

It just seems to me a way to demean the players. It's not that important. More like a pet peeve for me.

Actually the reason reality shows exist is because Hollywood actors decided to strike it led to them finding out America doesn't need actors in order to watch TV.

Not really. The last actors strike was 1980 for three months. The one before that was led by Reagan in 1960. The Reality Show craze and boon started in the late 80s and early 90s with Survivor and Real World and Big Brother. Then exploded in the early 2000s. The writer's strike, if that's what you mean, was 2008. The industry did learn you didn't need writers for Reality Shows, nor actors, but that was long ago and not the reason people watch them. It's the reason a lot are made because they are so cheap.

I can't put my finger on them right now but IIRC, McNair has said some other things that were not exactly PC toward his players.

Now if this was another Houston football owner of the past - Bud Adams, now that would be interesting. What a piece of work he was.

I didn't take it personally, but I can only speak of what I know. I don't see the 'victimhood' around me. Does it happen somewhere ? Likely yes. But i'm not sure if it's for the reason most people think. I employee a great number of lower income, minorities. I've learned a lot about how they live. It's pretty eye opening. Many choose their own fate, but many also really have little or no chance to escape the poverty and horrible surroundings many of them grow up in. It's complicated.

no doubt it's complicated.

inner city demographics are hard to overcome for a multitude of reasons.

the thing is though, you do not help any man by giving him a fish to eat, you help him by teaching him how to fish.

This may not be about players but he's a doozy...

"Everybody respected their courage," McNair told me of the Indians. "They might not have respected the way they held their whiskey, but. ..." He laughed. "We respected their courage. They’re very brave people."

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/bob-mcnairs-eloquent-treatise-on-native-americans

no doubt it's complicated.

inner city demographics are hard to overcome for a multitude of reasons.

the thing is though, you do not help any man by giving him a fish to eat, you help him by teaching him how to fish.

The problem is ,referring to my employees, is that they had nobody to teach them how to fish, now they are in their 20's, 30's .... and don't know the basics of getting through life. And then they have kids, and they don't know how to teach them properly either. It's a cruel cycle. We've pulled aside some employees over the years and tried to 'teach them how to fish', but there are too many. And it's getting tougher on these people, not easier.

I didn't take it personally, but I can only speak of what I know. I don't see the 'victimhood' around me. Does it happen somewhere ? Likely yes. But i'm not sure if it's for the reason most people think. I employee a great number of lower income, minorities. I've learned a lot about how they live. It's pretty eye opening. Many choose their own fate, but many also really have little or no chance to escape the poverty and horrible surroundings many of them grow up in. It's complicated.

Across racial lines approximately 80% of all individuals who make three decisions in their lives actually ascend to the middle class: don't have kids out of wedlock, make sure to graduate from high school, and get and keep any job.

Only 2% of all people who do all of those things don't escape poverty.

Data from the Brookings Institute, a left leaning think tank.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

"Everybody respected their courage," McNair told me of the Indians. "They might not have respected the way they held their whiskey, but. ..." He laughed. "We respected their courage. They’re very brave people."

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/bob-mcnairs-eloquent-treatise-on-native-americans

?

This is the dumbest thing I've read since the Anquan Boldin thread.

It's a common phrase, with a colloquial understanding, which was stated incorrectly. There is no inference of racism.

This is just more horseshit from idiots looking for things to be offended about where no offense exists.

"People who don't think the same way I do are idiots."

Exhibit A as to why we are the way we are today.

"People who don't think the same way I do are idiots."

Exhibit A as to why we are the way we are today.

Simply having an opinion does not mean it is meritorious.

People who are wishing to ascribe racist intent to an easily recognized phrase (slightly mangled), that has colloquial meaning with no racist intent, are asking everyone else to disregard common understanding and to indulge their special pleading (a logical fallacy) need to make a compelling and fact based case, beyond their feelings, that this was racist.

The reason we are the way we are today is because we indulge people who pull **** like this without scrutinizing their accusations.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

How about this one: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2574163-book-excerpt-daniel-snyder-and-the-unreal-power-of-nfl-owners

"The NFL owners are an interesting group. There are a handful of high-profile owners, but most stay in the background. Ownership meetings are among the most secretive aspects of professional football.

Some owners (and management personnel, including general managers) are genuinely decent people who want the best for their players. Some other owners see their teams simply as ATM machines, and the players as interchangeable parts.

They don't see the players as true partners. If they did, they would care more about them, and definitely not say what the owner of the Texans said to GQ magazine in early 2015.

In the story, Texans owner Bob McNair was quoted as being dismissive of the NFL's concussion crisis, saying, unbelievably, that most head trauma of NFL players didn't happen in professional football."

1. It's a figure of speech, although technically I think it goes "inmates running the asylum"

Correct. I suppose it's up to the individual to decide if he simply didn't know the phrase or deliberately used 'prison' for 'asylum', and all the possible whathaveyou that entails.

The problem is ,referring to my employees, is that they had nobody to teach them how to fish, now they are in their 20's, 30's .... and don't know the basics of getting through life. And then they have kids, and they don't know how to teach them properly either. It's a cruel cycle. We've pulled aside some employees over the years and tried to 'teach them how to fish', but there are too many. And it's getting tougher on these people, not easier.

i know it is cliche, but it has to start somewhere.

it begins with one.

People who are wishing to ascribe racist intent to an easily recognized phrase (slightly mangled), that has colloquial meaning with no racist intent,.

Be realistic for a minute. McNair was talking about black players doing a protest about black rights (right or wrong). He was at a meeting that was exclusively about this issue. He referred to the players as inmates and accidentally said prison instead of the correct phrase. You really think that race didnt play a factor in that situation? You have to reeeaaallllyyy stretch to think it was just an innocent mistake with no further implications. It doesnt mean McNair is evil, or a KKK member. But no player is going to be happy to hear that thats how their employer views them. I would be upset if my boss said that in private about me and my coworkers, and Im a white guy who works in an office.

I dont agree with the players who walked out. To me that is pointless and overreacting. Then again a bunch of NFL fans supposedly are boycotting the league because some players kneeled during the national anthem before a game so Im wondering how much of an overreaction you think that is?

Was that racist?

Well of course it is. But I was just responding to Lurker's post about maybe saying non-PC things to his players before, so I googled "dumb things McNair Texans said" and the first one was titled "Texans Owner Bob McNair Says More Dumb Stuff" - so I read it, and sho nuff, then linked it.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Well of course it is. But I was just responding to Lurker's post about maybe saying non-PC things to his players before, so I googled "things McNair Texans said" and the first one was titled "Texans Owner Bob McNair Says More Dumb Stuff" - so I read it, and sho nuff, then linked it.

You know it's a scientific fact that folks of Native American descent can't tolerate alcohol as well as Europeans, right?

12 pages and running, and the truth is this: Football is a game that inspires passion. Grown men gather in large groups wearing the oversized shirts of other men, and if that isn't bad enough, they wear the other guy's name on their back. "Hey Brett---can I get an autog---WAIT A SECOND YOU'RE NOT BRETT FAVRE...you're guy who put the ice cream in the special bag at the Wegmans the other day".

With that type of devotion and loyalty comes a price. The price to pay is that sometimes, people will surprise you and give a sh&t about what you say or do. Whether it's the second suspension for smoking weed, the domestic violence issue, or something as simple as some other team gave you more money than the prior one--people will turn on you. When you mix in something as important to some as loyalty to the country (perceived or not), it become a very volatile mix.

A lot of the folks involved have forgotten the most important job for the nfl is to tend to the survival of the nfl. There's plenty of stupid sh&t being said and done by enough people (players and owners) to screw this all up, it's just a matter of whether or not they can calm the ship and move forward. McNair said something very dumb given the state of the nfl right now, and actions do have consequences.

Correct. I suppose it's up to the individual to decide if he simply didn't know the phrase or deliberately used 'prison' for 'asylum', and all the possible whathaveyou that entails.

Oh I dont think it was deliberate. Freudian slips happen all the time. His intention certainly wasnt to sound racist. Maybe the discussions were partly about racism in the justice system so black people in prison was on his mind and that slipped out. Some people on both sides are overreacting.

Simply having an opinion does not mean it is meritorious.

People who are wishing to ascribe racist intent to an easily recognized phrase (slightly mangled), that has colloquial meaning with no racist intent, are asking everyone else to disregard common understanding and to indulge their special pleading (a logical fallacy) need to make a compelling and fact based case, beyond their feelings, that this was racist.

The reason we are the way we are today is because we indulge people who pull **** like this without scrutinizing their accusations.

The comment was an obvious indication of McNair's perception of the players as hired help who should shut up and do as they're told. A Freudian slip at worst.

Are you saying that none of these people are receiving scrutiny? I beg to differ.

i definitely see the players' view but i also feel like this day and age you say something and it can be totally taken the wrong way depending on who the audience is. you could say i was outside doing yardwork and i got my hands all dirty, look how black they are. and someone could say oh black means dirty to you? racist! everyone is so over the top sensitive that if i was in the NFL i wouldn't even want to talk to reporters. anything you say can be turned into a story

You know it's a scientific fact that folks of Native American descent can't tolerate alcohol as well as Europeans, right?

It's also a fact that they are not physiologically more likely to start drinking to excess than Europeans, nor are the offspring of an alcoholic, but if they do indeed start drinking, then their tolerance is way less. That is the physiological difference. Which is why the numbers are so high. But there are millions who do not start drinking. So to just blanket statement that Indians don't hold their whiskey is a racist statement, just assuming something by the color of their skin.

Okay. So race is a hot button issue right now. Seems like folks are more comfortable lately voicing "controversial" opinions, and also folks are uber sensitive to such comments as well. I'm not trying to get all political here at all.

I don't know if McNair is a racist or not. What I do know is that he made a not so smart comment at a really bad time. I don't think the saying "we can't have the inmates running the prison" is racist, necessarily. I have heard it used at work (in schools) referring to classroom/school discipline. I think the Texans have something good going. Houston has also been devastated by tragedy. I hope this doesn't ruin their season.

Its a term most people use without thinking twice. But when you are the white dude that runs a team with a lot of black dudes that feel unfairly targeted by police its pretty high on the list of dumb things to say.

Frankly, as a boss talking about any employees in public its a pretty dumb thing to say.

It's also a fact that they are not physiologically more likely to start drinking to excess than Europeans, nor are the offspring of an alcoholic, but if they do indeed start drinking, then their tolerance is way less. That is the physiological difference. Which is why the numbers are so high. But there are millions who do not start drinking. So to just blanket statement that Indians don't hold their whiskey is a racist statement, just assuming something by the color of their skin.

No.

""We have identified two genes that protect against heavy drinking, and these are particularly prevalent among Asians," Li says. "We have shown that Native Americans, who have a high rate of alcoholism, do not have these protective genes. The one that is particularly effective is a mutation of the gene for the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase, which plays a major role in metabolizing alcohol. The mutation is found very frequently in Chinese and Japanese populations but is less common among other Asian groups, including Koreans, the Malayo-Polynesian group, and others native to the Pacific Rim. "We've also looked at Euro-Americans, Native Americans, and Eskimos, and they don't have that gene mutation," says Li. Thus, incidentally, the study of genetic mutations and alcoholism links native North-American populations to central Asian ancestors, not to those from China and Japan."

http://www.indiana.edu/~rcapub/v17n3/p18.html

Facts aren't racist. They're just facts.

Edited by jmc12290

I just turned on Sportcenter for some laughs, and Seth Wickersham (apparently writer of the artilcle) is on. (paraphrasing) "This was a big article. There were things that Jerry Jones said, things that Daniel Snyder said, things that Terry Pegula said, that were really tone-deaf, but everyone is focusing on the McNair quote".

All I can day is Right on, Pegs! :thumbsup::lol:

No.

""We have identified two genes that protect against heavy drinking, and these are particularly prevalent among Asians," Li says. "We have shown that Native Americans, who have a high rate of alcoholism, do not have these protective genes. The one that is particularly effective is a mutation of the gene for the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase, which plays a major role in metabolizing alcohol. The mutation is found very frequently in Chinese and Japanese populations but is less common among other Asian groups, including Koreans, the Malayo-Polynesian group, and others native to the Pacific Rim. "We've also looked at Euro-Americans, Native Americans, and Eskimos, and they don't have that gene mutation," says Li. Thus, incidentally, the study of genetic mutations and alcoholism links native North-American populations to central Asian ancestors, not to those from China and Japan."

http://www.indiana.edu/~rcapub/v17n3/p18.html

Facts aren't racist. They're just facts.

I will bet you a dozen shots of whiskey that "the two mutated genes" that protect against heavy drinking you just referred to, are the same scientific concept that offspring of alcoholics have in their DNA, which makes them more susceptible to heavy drinking. I learn that in rehab, btw. ;)