Texans ready to walk out on owner after “inmate” comments

YoloinOhio

At the owners meetings

https://amp.usatoday.com/story/806600001/

In a discussion about player protests during the national anthem, and the effects the protests were having on NFL business, McNair said, We cant have the inmates running the prison, according to a story by ESPNs Seth Wickersham and Don Van Natta. ESPN reported that NFL vice president of football operations, Troy Vincent, a longtime NFL player, was offended, and McNair later apologized personally.

@adamschefter

Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins absence from practice today was related to Bob McNairs comments, per source.

Texans players wanted to walkout today in response to owner Bob McNairs comments, per @sarahbarshop. Had to be persuaded to stay.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the owners meetings

https://amp.usatoday.com/story/806600001/

@adamschefter

Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins absence from practice today was related to Bob McNairs comments, per source.

Texans players wanted to walkout today in response to owner Bob McNairs comments, per @sarahbarshop. Had to be persuaded to stay.

I have a feeling this is going to end well.

Dumb.

1. It's a figure of speech, although technically I think it goes "inmates running the asylum"

2. How horrible of McNair not wanting his employees staging protests on company time on company property. I totally respect the players right to protest anything they want, but do it on your own time in a public place. The teams and networks don't owe anyone that forum.

Okay. So race is a hot button issue right now. Seems like folks are more comfortable lately voicing "controversial" opinions, and also folks are uber sensitive to such comments as well. I'm not trying to get all political here at all.

I don't know if McNair is a racist or not. What I do know is that he made a not so smart comment at a really bad time. I don't think the saying "we can't have the inmates running the prison" is racist, necessarily. I have heard it used at work (in schools) referring to classroom/school discipline. I think the Texans have something good going. Houston has also been devastated by tragedy. I hope this doesn't ruin their season.

I guess players only feel players have free speech rights ?

Damn. I feel like freedom of speech not being the same as freedom of consequences shouldn't be hard for people to understand. Kneel and it may have adverse consequences. Equate NFL players to criminals, it may have adverse consequences. You're free to say and do anything you want; it doesn't mean you're free of any problems that it may create.

Understand now?

Damn. I feel like freedom of speech not being the same as freedom of consequences shouldn't be hard for people to understand. Kneel and it may have adverse consequences. Equate NFL players to criminals, it may have adverse consequences. You're free to say and do anything you want; it doesn't mean you're free of any problems that it may create.

Understand now?

Except you are entitled to a starting QB job.

Understand now?

Good post ^^