Texans ready to walk out on owner after “inmate” comments

YoloinOhio

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The players feelings aren't relevant to the facts, and what the Texans' owner said wasn't racist, and has a colloquial understanding. The players are being dumb, and are the problem in this scenario.

Nope. There is no colloquial understanding of inmates running the prison because that phrase doesnt exist. It would be like if I said the animals are taking over the inner city and followed up with oops I meant to say zoo! Words still mean something.

People looking to be offended by racism took something innocuous and found racism in it.

As Jauronimo once said here, when the only tool you have is a shotgun, every problem looks like a tranny.

People finding offense in the innocuous is the problem, the people producing the innocuous are not.

Such as quietly kneeling for maybe a minute before a game?

Nope. There is no colloquial understanding of inmates running the prison because that phrase doesnt exist. It would be like if I said the animals are taking over the inner city and followed up with oops I meant to say zoo! Words still mean something.

Change that to aquarium and you would have a more accurate analogy. You are reaching.

Why do you associate the word prison with black people, racist?

The "straw" seems insignificant UNTIL you see what else was already on the camels back!

This is not an "athlete" vs team owner thing.

Race issues are getting to the breaking point in this country (again) and MANY of the comments in this forum are good examples of WHY.

To many of you - If you do not have a horse in this race, you would be better off to STFU.

You're talking to the wrong person. I'm one of the most sympathetic to black people's causes on this entire board. Overly so. So much in fact I call myself a racist because I favor minorities over white people on almost everything.

I do believe this to be a straw that broke the camel's back scenario. And do believe Hopkins did it because he couldn't believe the insensitivity of McNair the day of a sit-down meeting to address the issue. And I also think that particular insensitivity is most of the problem.

But walking out of practice hurts your team. The team spoke about it and en mass decided to practice. I think it could have been voiced differently.

There is some hypocrisy there. No doubt about it. If you're fine with McNair's comments then you shouldn't take issue with players kneeling before a game. Both are expressions of free speech. If the NFL mandated that all of its employees stood for the national anthem it would be a different story, but Goodell didn't do that and he'll now face the consequences.

Not sure that's a fair statement, because racism does exist and sometimes it may be difficult to determine what is racist and what is a poor choice of words. It's hard to read intent into every statement. And if you've been a victim of racism, it's seems likely that you may be more sensitive to it. That being said, McNair did seem genuinely sorry for what he said. Normally, that would end the conversation.

The problem is that we are cultivating a culture in which people are being taught that they are victims, and that their problems are due to racism when the truth is that people of all races share the same problems assuming similar socio-economic status.

Of course individual racists and racism exist, and always will, but they are outliers in today's America; and that means the default should be to give people the benefit of the doubt. The Texans players didn't do that. They assumed the ugliest, and the worst, and made public accusations of racism which is not a reasonable position to take.

I'm not sure that it is just about race. I am white, I have never been to prison, if my boss described me in that way I would walk out. Can I understand why some people might draw a conclusion about race? Yes. But even if there wasn't that possibility it is still a totally unacceptable way to describe your employees.

Change that to aquarium and you would have a more accurate analogy. You are reaching.

Youre right, Im not sure if theres a good analogy for what he said. But it does imply something about what he thinks of his players. Inmates running the asylum is a very common phrase and mixing that up with prison obviously implies something given the circumstances.

Im amazed by the number of people trying to say an old white billionaire isnt secretly racist. I mean I think most people are secretly racist, of all ethnicities. When did that become a controversial statement? People are born racist and his racism slipped out in a moment of anger. Its really not a big deal. I find it funny everyone says THE PLAYERS ARE OVERREACTING while getting caught up in dumb little arguments. Rob McNair will apologize and everyone will move on. A few more people will boycott the NFL because of the PLAYERS reaction which is the biggest overreaction of all.

The problem is that we are cultivating a culture in which people are being taught that they are victims, and that their problems are due to racism when the truth is that people of all races share the same problems assuming similar socio-economic status.

Of course individual racists and racism exist, and always will, but they are outliers in today's America; and that means the default should be to give people the benefit of the doubt. The Texans players didn't do that. They assumed the ugliest, and the worst, and made public accusations of racism which is not a reasonable position to take.

I honestly don't believe this, it seems that the racists(and I mean the 'proud' racists-kkk and the like) are getting a bit more mainstream. We have a president that defended them recently. It's a real issue.

That's a bull **** example as the stated purpose behind the knee taking was "systemic racial inequality" which is nothing more than calling everyone who disagrees with them racists.

When that's what you lead with, you're a piece of garbage.

My question to the NFL and ownership is where are the PSAs that target racial/social injustice? They have a BIG cancer and are starting an opioid campaign, why not one that reflect the players concerns? Maybe, just maybe this will pause all the other demonstrations around the league and show the players that the NFL and ownership really care

Sorry, but that's a total right wing talking point with no basis of fact behind it.

Part of the problem is McNair gave 4.5 million to Trump's campaign. A guy that pushed the birther issue for our first black president and called players that knelt SOB's. They're individuals who are entitled to their own opinion and maybe they think he shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt. They were just compared to inmates.

My 2¢. Racism does/still exists in this country. There are people who overreact to it and others that are insensitive to it. White privilege also does/still exists in this country. Trying to explain white privilege to a white person is like trying to explain water to a fish. As far as protesting peacefully at the game, I have no problem with it. Nobody is getting hurt, nothing is getting vandalized, and attention is being brought to the protester's cause, which happens to be racial inequality in this country. If the players are discouraged from protesting 'at their job' or 'on working time', then I guess that makes every union strike wrong. This opinion was brought to you by a born and raised 'white guy'.

Edited by Peace Frog

I honestly don't believe this, it seems that the racists(and I mean the 'proud' racists-kkk and the like) are getting a bit more mainstream. We have a president that defended them recently. It's a real issue.

No, they aren't getting more mainstream. They are getting less mainstream in a more interconnected world. They're more visible than they've ever been because of modern media and the internet, but there are fewer of them than ever before.

That's a bull **** example as the stated purpose behind the knee taking was "systemic racial inequality" which is nothing more than calling everyone who disagrees with them racists.

As I read more of your comments it seems like you are adding in your opinion as facts. I have yet to hear any player say that 'everyone' that disagrees with them are racists and I would guess that most, if not all of them would totally disagree with you on that point.

Part of the problem is McNair gave 4.5 million to Trump's campaign. A guy that pushed the birther issue for our first black president and called players that knelt SOB's. They're individuals who are entitled to their own opinion and maybe they think he shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt. They were just compared to inmates.

Part of the problem is that someone exercised their political rights?

If people really believe this way, then it's time to just divide the country in half, because we really aren't going to be able to live together.

Agreed. I'm curious if he still would have been upset if he used the more common "inmates running the asylum" instead of prison.

Totally agree. I think it's a huge over-reaction.

It would be an overreaction except their in a situation where the principle issue is criminal justice and police reform when it comes to how minorities are treated. So to then make the analogy that the players are the criminals in the criminal justice system is incredibly dumb. Saying asylum instead takes the racial edge off it, and would not have been as offensive. Still would have been dumb though. It's always dumb to call your employees the inmates.

As I read more of your comments it seems like you are adding in your opinion as facts. I have yet to hear any player say that 'everyone' that disagrees with them are racists and I would guess that most, if not all of them would totally disagree with you on that point.

That's what the act of kneeling to protest systemic racial inequality is.

really? are you oblivious to your surroundings?

actually very aware of my surrounding. I certainly don't teach my kids that they are victims of anything, and I don't see that with any of my friends in how they raise their children.

That's what the act of kneeling to protest systemic racial inequality is.

it's the system, not all the people. Even though we seem to disagree, I don't assume you are aracist just because you don't agree with their cause. The system needs to change and we all know how difficult doing something like that is.

No, they aren't getting more mainstream. They are getting less mainstream in a more interconnected world. They're more visible than they've ever been because of modern media and the internet, but there are fewer of them than ever before.

You may be correct. Maybe they are fewer in number but greater in influence because of their visibility.

Edited by klos63

You know, it just hit me...Texans players are contemplating walking out of practice because their owner used a common phrase (incorrectly-- :lol: )

Meanwhile, there's a kid playing for this team that took a whole 1 day off of practice after burying his infant daughter.

I know which guy I admire more; that's for certain.

Nicely put.

This is getting beyond ridiculous. Parents use that phrase about their own damn kids. Some of these guys need to swallow a big boy bite of life and grow the !@#$ up.

I'm sure LT and his family have their hands full with grief and sadness but wouldn't it be great if he could humble these other folks who seemingly just want to be outraged and upset at everything.

Have a little perspective. You guys have become rich playing a kids game and you shouldn't be so content with misusing your sphere of influence. If it's really about improving communities and race relations then what exactly is something like today meant to accomplish!!!!

Just go away already! Play the GAME.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Racism is the 2000s equivalent to McCarthyism and communist witch hunts. It's literally THE SAME BEHAVIOR.

It's Helter Skelter.

Not even kidding.

you really dig these type of topics/threads don't you. kind of makes you feel right at (PPP) home.

Nicely put.

This is getting beyond ridiculous. Parents use that phrase about their own damn kids. Some of these guys need to swallow a big boy bite of life and grow the !@#$ up.

I'm sure LT and his family have their hands full with grief and sadness but wouldn't it be great if he could humble these other folks who seemingly just want to be outraged and upset at everything.

Have a little perspective. You guys have become rich playing a kids game and you shouldn't be so content with misusing your sphere of influence. If it's really about improving communities and race relations then what exactly is something like today meant to accomplish!!!!

Just go away already! Play the GAME.

Don't want to take away from the Logan Thomas tragedy, but why does everyone always say this is a kids game? It's been played by adults for quite some time. I think people say that in order to demean the players in some way. It's wrong.

I'd often be referred to as a bleeding heart liberal, though that would not be 100% accurate. However, I cannot see any logic to the concern in this matter. This is just ridiculous. McNair used improper wording, but his intent was surely not racist. Just a simple common phrase. Yes, it was ill-timed, but blown so far out of proportion.

Don't want to take away from the Logan Thomas tragedy, but why does everyone always say this is a kids game? It's been played by adults for quite some time. I think people say that in order to demean the players in some way. It's wrong.

Apparently if you earn a lot of money it is fair game for your owner to insult you at work. It isn't. It is never acceptable to act like that just because you write the cheques.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Racism is the 2000s equivalent to McCarthyism and communist witch hunts. It's literally THE SAME BEHAVIOR.

McCarthyism/Communist which hunts were made up scandals. Racism is real. Big difference between the two.

actually very aware of my surrounding. I certainly don't teach my kids that they are victims of anything, and I don't see that with any of my friends in how they raise their children.

i don't mean anything personal by this but, are you sure? there is a strong undercurrent of victimhood that is very prevalent throughout today's society.

perhaps it all began when the entitlement programs began....

It's crazy. Rich old white guy hate. At my last job I was promoted multiple times and made a fair salary, my manager told me something I will never forget.

When they would meet with the board the members wouldn't even shake his hand. This is a well paid 250k?anually? successful, intelligent guy, being treated like a peasant. EVERY SLIGHT IS NoT BECAUSE THE COLOR OF YOuR Skin!!!! Yikes.

He was white as Casper, as were they. Let's face it that million/Billionaire fraternity doesn't break bread with the rest of us. White/Black/Green

McCarthyism/Communist which hunts were made up scandals. Racism is real. Big difference between the two.

Wildly and blindly accusing people of being racist over ANY perceived slight is most CERTAINLY the same as McCarthyism. Using accusations of racism to ruin people who aren't is EXACTLY like McCarthyism.

Do better.

Edited by joesixpack

not trying to single you out here but...

there is a reason why it is called a kids game. that is because most people who play it began playing it as a kid. in fact, most games are kid games. it is a saying, much like, 'the inmates run the asylum'........