A question about moving to new message board software

SDS

Odds are I will keep all of the content. But that's just my current preference.

It looks like there is a shout box add-on already developed so hopefully it has the proper functionality that everyone wants to see.

I would also prefer having old posts available in some fashion but its not a huge deal if you dont want to.

Also, keep the format of the board simple. I understand some people may like embedded pics and videos but those shouldnt clutter the page. I personally come here for the text content and save for the pics of All-22 , I dont see any value in the memes etc.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, so am I understanding correctly, ALL of our accounts will go to having zero posts?? Just want to make sure I'm not mis-understanding...

It took me TWELVE years to get to 1,000 posts!!

Edited by smuvtalker

On second thought, there are a few threads on OTW that might be worth saving. I'm thinking of the cooking threads e.g., Sous Vide, and Pizza and the What Show to Watch Next threads have some info that would be missed. Anyway to put those in a Penseive for posterity?

Save a few of the memorable threads . RETATTA FOREVER!!!!

I would suggest that those 4.5 million posts represent a critical historical record of the Bills' unprecedented 17-year playoff drought that we should make every effort, for the sake of posterity, to get rid of.

Dilly, dilly!!!

I would suggest that those 4.5 million posts represent a critical historical record of the Bills' unprecedented 17-year playoff drought that we should make every effort, for the sake of posterity, to get rid of.

Yes this..Great idea DC Tom

Planning migrations? Who does that. Back it up and wing it.

The airlines do it all the time, what could go wrong??

Wait, so am I understanding correctly, ALL of our accounts will go to having zero posts?? Just want to make sure I'm not mis-understanding...

It took me TWELVE years to get to 1,000 posts!!

Yes, but on the bright side all the "warnings" will zero out too!

Odds are I will keep all of the content. But that's just my current preference.

It looks like there is a shout box add-on already developed so hopefully it has the proper functionality that everyone wants to see.

Other than the basic functionality of the shout box, the only really useful tool is the archive function. It's great to be able to go back to a certain day/time if you miss something and others tell you to go check it out.

As Turbo said, the shoutbox is responsible for multiple TBD users ending up meeting in person/becoming friends.

It's just easier to hold a "conversation," in that format vs. within a thread. And it definitely cuts down on new thread creation.

There are several good posters that only use the shout box. I suspect they would simply stop frequenting the site without it, which would be disappointing.

To play devil's advocate - why should this make my priority list if members have checked out of the community and just hide in the corner using a web based texting feature?

Other than the basic functionality of the shout box, the only really useful tool is the archive function. It's great to be able to go back to a certain day/time if you miss something and others tell you to go check it out.

As Turbo said, the shoutbox is responsible for multiple TBD users ending up meeting in person/becoming friends.

It's just easier to hold a "conversation," in that format vs. within a thread. And it definitely cuts down on new thread creation.

:worthy::beer:

After seeing years and years of posting flushed away without notice or even a 2nd thought at BBMB, that you would ask your board members the best course to follow when it comes to archives speaks volumes in my humble opinion.

thanks SDS

Yah, that "sucked" for like a day though, and only because we were blindsided.

That was affirmation for me that old posts are not important. It's rare I go past the first page unless checking for duplicates before starting a thread.

I would say scrap it all. Every important thread will be re-made in about 10 seconds anyway.

To play devil's advocate - why should this make my priority list if members have checked out of the community and just hide in the corner using a web based texting feature?

I'm new here but I don't get your use of the term 'checking out'. Vince could have chosen better words, granted, but his sentiment seems to be prevalent among a more than small contingent of users here. You started a thread asking for opinions and you received opinions. You're doing a great job and I appreciate a place to call home but nobody is checking out. not now. not ever. GO BILLS!!

Yeah, I'm tailgating early. Sorry peeps.

Edited by 145B4IDIE

I'm new here but I don't get your use of the term 'checking out'. Vince could have chosen better words, granted, but his sentiment seems to be prevalent among a more than small contingent of users here. You started a thread asking for opinions and you received opinions. You're doing a great job and I appreciate a place to call home but nobody is checking out. not now. not ever. GO BILLS!!

Yeah, I'm tailgating early. Sorry peeps.

Again, I was playing devils advocate here.

The point being we have two large categories of customers here. Content creators (who also read) and content readers (who don't create). We cater to them both.

I'm told this third group doesn't fall into either category. How much concern should I have for them then?

I'm scared!

In all seriousness I would very much miss the shoutbox. I have met several Bills fans in person due mostly to the conversations that have taken place there. I and obviously others have been using it for many years.

Losing the Shout Box would the epitomy of LAME.

I love the shout box. It MAKES THE BOARD IMHO.

There are other Bills sites but they don't have a shout box.

I think I would visit and pay less attention to TBD if it were to go away. I REALLY HOPE this does not happen.

The point being we have two large categories of customers here. Content creators (who also read) and content readers (who don't create). We cater to them both.

I'm told this third group doesn't fall into either category. How much concern should I have for them then?

I think it's just a nice bonus feature for some of us. Sometimes I need fantasy football advice, sometimes I see a conversation started about football, or music, or whatever and it's fun to just hop in. It certainly adds to the sense of community. Why some posters use it almost exclusively is something I can't speak to.

As far as past posts go, as long as there is a way to archive and link to threads in the past I'm cool with it. Some concerns expressed over post counts make sense as they are a status symbol. Is there a way to transfer the post counts for users over without the posts?

Frankly, as long as the site stays as visually clean as it is now, I don't care about much else.

Edited by Big C

for me, old posts have no value.

whatever, anyone individual said a week or year ago really doesn't matter. it's fairly easy to wiggle out of a past take.

the only time an old post is even a thought, is checking via search, to make sure your not starting a duplicate thread.

not sure you asked this, but keep the shout box.

do not reset an individuals post count. it helps with credibility by knowing a newbie vs long time member.

The posters who only use the shout box arent bad people, lol. Thats just the feature they find value in. Im not one of them, obviously, as I frequent both the box and the threads.

As was mentioned in previous posts, the shout box brings members together, enhancing the sense of community, reduces redundant thread creation, and attracts users who dont use other site features. You will have to decide how important these things are to your vision of TBD.

Edited by vincec

Any time you make a massive change like this its going to upset about 5-10% of the population, Keeping that in mind that isn't much unless you have the kind of numbers these forums produce.. then your talking about a lot of people. I would suggest putting up a 2 week pole that doesn't show the names of who voted and block all the replies so people can think for themselves and not take on a vibe of what everyone else is doing.

Also I would not make that change unless its a higher% like 80%+. All this wanting to change because of us having bad years of game play is silly.. I suggest to all members to vote for how this effects you and not on some myth or voodoo magic that the team gets better after a change..

On a personal note, as someone newer I don't care either way... Just keep it pro either way.