McD and Beane/ Do you trust them?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe they have clear and concrete vision on what they would like this team to look like, whereas I never really got that feeling with Whaley. For me Whaley had an eye for talent but no vision.

Whether or not this vision will lead us in the right direction, well...... I suppose we will just have to see.

i tell people this all the time. whatleys problem was he didnt follow his vision. he just was a talent evaluator. brandon rex and marrone all had theirs visions and Whaley helped build them

He was given a list of needs and filled them every time.

i tell people this all the time. whatleys problem was he didnt follow his vision. he just was a talent evaluator. brandon rex and marrone all had theirs visions and Whaley helped build them

Interesting take, I never thought of it in those terms. Whay approach do you like to see you GM take for talent acquisition?

As for MCDermot and Beane, why not let them try? Look they have acquired draft picks for the next draft to help them build. They have traded and removed or released players that they felt were not in the long term plan. They made none of these moves to save money for the owner but to give themselves ability to spend where needed when needed. This is a three year process . This is how it was done 15-20 years ago to really fix teams. The coach and GM are not dumb. They know the Bills don't have talent to beat the greatest coach and QB combo in the history of the game. I think this is going to be a tough year to watch . I also think this is the beginning of something good.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I thought that I would when we brought them to the Bills, but after seeing all these moves I am becoming more skeptical.

To me, it appears they are placing too much emphasis on their system and players that fit what they want at the expense of talent that they should be fitting into the system.

I really think they are going to have to nail a ton of draft picks to justify what they are trying to do, and even then if they still don't get the QB, they are sunk as well.

A fair bit of truth in this, imho.

Unfortunately for Whaley, a lot of circumstances conspired to prevent him being able to push a 'vision', assuming he had one.

Tbh, when Marrone did a runner, Whaley should have said to the Pegulas, now is the time for change, and pushed hard to get the juice to appoint the next HC (prior to Ryan), and to make whatever changes he felt were necessary at that point in time. In effect, getting the sort of leeway, that McDermott and Beane currently are enjoying.

As he didn't, he pretty much has only himself to blame for the way things panned out, even though I think he can probably work with just about any type of HC if necessary, as a talent evaluator, and someone who will bring in the best available talent to suit what that HC wants.

It might be that he doesn't actually have a strong enough desire to be a true GM, but if he does, then if he ever gets another shot at it, I think it won't be without demanding the final say on what HC to hire etc.

As to how much I 'trust' Beane and McDermott, currently not so much. I will say that they obviously have a great deal of belief in what they are doing, but I'm unconvinced they are the 'smartest guys in the room', which appears to be their current approach.

While regime change will inevitably lead to some personnel changes, too often in the NFL, teams appear to throw the baby out with the bathwater (and not just the Bills), in messing up stuff that works while attempting to get better, supposedly, everywhere.

As things stand, I see McDermott and Beane as little different in that respect, to how things, generally, seem to be done throughout the NFL.

Nope. The mcbean dumb dumb team has proven themselves to be moronic hacks, cutting good young players to keep old has beens. It's one thing to revamp / rebuild, but burning down everything the last regime did without pause is dumb. It's over. They are not only tanking this season, they will be tanking forever with these losers at the helm.

No and they remind me of Josh McDaniels in Denver destroying the team. He hasn't even coached one game yet. Look at Cleveland they've had how many draft picks over the years and they can't do anything.

Why let new people destroy what good was on the team? And the owner is asleep at the wheel again?

I figured they would use the whole season to evaluate talent.

Apparently they are quicker than that.

If McD and Beane know talent, we should trust them.

There should be no half measures, TT and Shady should go and in two years we could have an amazing nucleus.

Really/ They have never shown that they know talent.

The fact that so many of you dislike what they are doing gives me hope. The Bills are not going to be good this year most likely. Three years. Let's see where they are in 2020. After hearing where and how these two guys started in the League, they are going to figure it out. Pegs has to be patient. They will make mistakes but they are smart and humble and will learn from them. These two men have been successful and will be successful in these roles. I hope it's with the Bills.

No way do I trust these guys at this point. I was willing to take a "let's see what happens" attitude at first, but the continual moves they have made to dismantle this team, throwing away young guys who could play for the sake of their own boys, is a sign of such arrogance that I am going to enjoy watching them go down in flames.

It's just sad to see them take the team down with them. So far the Pegulas have shown they have zero ability to judge management ability.

The fact that so many of you dislike what they are doing gives me hope. The Bills are not going to be good this year most likely. Three years. Let's see where they are in 2020. After hearing where and how these two guys started in the League, they are going to figure it out. Pegs has to be patient. They will make mistakes but they are smart and humble and will learn from them. These two men have been successful and will be successful in these roles. I hope it's with the Bills.

Where do you see "humble" in the moves they have made? We can argue about smart--I don't see it--but HUMBLE????

We seem to be getting older and slower and less talented. Other than that,everything's fine.

Exactly

I'm revising my estimate of games the Bills will win this season downward from five to three.

Do they really expect Shady to be able to play the entire season? Do they really expect to get a passing game out of the wide receiver corps they have put together? Do they really think cutting or trading good young players for smurfs and lousy aging offensive linemen is planning for the future?

Gregg Williams II.

I love the new program. I don't dislike any cuts because I don't watch film like they do. Williams fumbled a lot and turn overs will kill you. Ask Fl. state last night. Nothing wrong with old guys. Moun all you want about practice squad guys. They don't win games. Thes two guys will lead us to the promised land because they know how to work togeather. That is so important. Keep the faith.

No way do I trust these guys at this point. I was willing to take a "let's see what happens" attitude at first, but the continual moves they have made to dismantle this team, throwing away young guys who could play for the sake of their own boys, is a sign of such arrogance that I am going to enjoy watching them go down in flames.

As a football fan, in what world does this even remotely make sense?

The new owner sucks, the new GM sucks, the new coach sucks...and you now are rooting for the entire thing to fail? Really?

Why are you even here? Wait. Let me guess. So every time the team loses, you can spend your Sunday's hanging here saying "I told you so."

I guess the big mystery is simply how we'll ever understand how Beane and McDermott got to their positions in the NFL while you, with all the answers, are simply wasting away on a Bills message board. :lol:

I'm not sure if they're so smart in their approach and I don't see what they are doing as humble.

Edited by Boatdrinks

The Miller/Ducasse situation is the only thing that really infuriates me. The fact that Vlad the Impaled is still on the team makes me question their ability to judge talent. Everyone that has ever seen him play knows that he's garbage. Is it just loyalty to the devil that is Castillo?

I'll give them their 3 years before I want them out. They seem like serious football men. Besides I like the players under 26 on the roster right now. Also I like they have a destination in mind. we haven't had that since Marv hired Bum's son.

Well heck Rex had a destination in mind. The playoffs, remember ? We were going. The purge they are finishing means it's more than a 3 year deal. They won't have enough good picks in three years to field a good team.

As a football fan, in what world does this even remotely make sense?

The new owner sucks, the new GM sucks, the new coach sucks...and you now are rooting for the entire thing to fail? Really?

Why are you even here? Wait. Let me guess. So every time the team loses, you can spend your Sunday's hanging here saying "I told you so."

I guess the big mystery is simply how we'll ever understand how Beane and McDermott got to their positions in the NFL while you, with all the answers, are simply wasting away on a Bills message board. :lol:

I've followed this team since 1964. I've seen a lot of good and bad decisions made, and against that background I say these guys are among the most arrogant I have ever seen, legends in their own mind. They remind me of Gregg Williams, whose idea to improve the defense was to get rid of Ted Washington. So we'll see how it works out, but I will bet it will not be pretty, just as I said when they hired Rex that it was the wrong move at the wrong time.

I do not automatically disagree with coaching and managing decisions, as my history on this board would show. I am wiling to give the benefit of the doubt most of the time. I felt this way about these guys to start. But as the questionable decisions pile up, I see nothing to indicate that Opie and the Bean deserve confidence. So far it's all talk and throwing good players overboard.

We'll see how it works out. I'm thinking five wins tops, three more likely. They don't have enough draft choices to fill all the holes they are blowing in this roster.

The Bills are getting older and stock-piling picks.

This roster is what you would expect an expansion team to have. Older, overpaid players to fill a team, waiting to teach future draft picks for a year-or-two before cutting them lose.

It's the classic, build a franchise in 10 years plan.