McD and Beane/ Do you trust them?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't find other WR that can be top 5 players. He absolutely can be that and has been when thrown the football. All that replacing Watkins with Matthews does is make the Bills worse at WR. I'm actually shocked that so many people are on board with this. As a group we must not watch a lot of football.

Maybe, all the BAD football has rotted our brains out.😂😂

You know what?

They could trade McCoy and Dareus as far as I'm concerned as long as they walk away with a franchise QB next April.

Franchise QB's for 50. What is what the Buffalo Bills haven't had in 20 years, Alex.

I'm absolutely thrilled with what they did today!

Imagine this scenario.....the Bills trade both their first and a a 2019 1st to land the top pick in the 2018 draft to have their pick of the best QB.....and still have two 2nds and 2 3rds to work with.

The possibilities are mouth watering.

In another thread they did the math and said the picks we acquired were worth a middle first rounder.

Imagine getting the QB and keeping all the picks you had before today's trades happened.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

I'd say that judging by the fact that "most" Bills fans know this is a good trade, and RAMS fans are loving it as well, this to me is a the sign of a good trade. :)

Darby however, how can you not like that trade?

Now we need to move Darius, and all will be forgiven. :)

Tim-

That leaves a stench so foul, it takes a few years to shake off.

Truly, their talent on the D side wasn't very good.

Not at all (that's kind of my point). Regardless of your QB situation you don't get better losing good players. You don't just wait until you have a QB to build everything else. You build the whole roster at the same time (ideally).

Not at all (that's kind of my point). Regardless of your QB situation you don't get better losing good players. You don't just wait until you have a QB to build everything else. You build the whole roster at the same time (ideally).

My favorite is when people try to justify moves because of things NE has done.

My favorite is when people try to justify moves because of things NE has done.

Winner

The Bills

As frustrating as this must be for Buffalo's fans, who are stuck undergoing yet another rebuild, the Bills are making the right sort of moves as they try to build a team to (eventually) make noise in the postseason. It's clear that the organization had soured on Watkins and had serious concerns about his ability to stay healthy; otherwise, they wouldn't have passed up the wideout's fifth-year option. And if the Bills don't have a lot of faith in Watkins staying healthy enough to pass a physical in 2018, it's difficult to imagine that they would see signing Watkins as a wise decision in the long term, either.

If you're going to move on from Watkins, then, this is a reasonable haul. You might argue that the Bills make a slight downgrade at cornerback by swapping Darby for Gaines, who has struggled with his own foot injuries. It's pretty clear Watkins has a higher upside than Matthews, although the higher floor for Matthews might offer some level of certainty the Bills prefer if they're handing out a long-term deal.

What's really crucial, though, are those extra draft picks. As projected by FPI and using Stuart's chart, the Bills trading their sixth-round pick for Los Angeles' second-rounder and Philadelphia's third-round pick to trade the Rams pick (37, fifth-lowest FPI projection) and Eagles pick (80, 16th-lowest FPI projection) for pick 190 (the Bills have the sixth-lowest projection and that was the sixth-lowest pick of the sixth round, obviously the exact pick will pend specific compensatory selections) is roughly the equivalent of acquiring the 16th overall pick in a typical draft (17.1 points, closest to value of 16th pick, 16.9 points).

That gives the Bills what essentially amounts to three first-round picks in the 2018 draft, given that they'll have their own pick and Kansas City's selection from the Patrick Mahomes II trade. They can add a third-round compensatory pick for Stephon Gilmore if they cut three players from the group of DiMarco, Vladimir Ducasse, Ryan Harris, Andre Holmes and Steven Hauschka before Week 10, a move I would strongly encourage. Draft picks alone aren't a solution, but the best way to build a sustainably effective team isn't to trade up for a stud wide receiver or an inside linebacker, as the Bills did by sending multiple picks to acquire Reggie Ragland last season. It's to acquire draft picks and build a core of cheap, effective talent. As the Bills try to chase the juggernaut Patriots, they're wisely taking a page out of Bill Belichick's book.