McD and Beane/ Do you trust them?

I'll say a few things for them:

1.) They have been tasked with building a team to compete for the long term. Not just a team to squeak into a Wild Card spot every now and again.
2.) They seem to have a definite and united vision for what it will take to accomplish that task.
3.) They are pursuing that goal with impressive gumption and fearlessness. As the press goes, "they're betting on themselves" BIG TIME. What they are doing may or may not work, but no one can say that they aren't attacking their plan head-on.
4.) They seem to be both able and unafraid to get assets back in return for players they don't see as long term fits. Ragland and Seymour were likely to be cut, but instead, Beane turned them into 4th and 7th round picks and a kick returner.

Again, time will tell whether they know what they're doing, but it's hard not to be intrigued and cautiously optimistic, based on the decisiveness they have shown.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To everyone caterwauling:

Was Sammy going to take us to the promised land?

How about Darby?

Until the QB situation is resolved, these guys are like $10000 rims on a 1985 honda civic.

I'm gonna disagree with this and here's why.

A better plan would get to try to build up a good team around QB and then when you can get that golden armed Franchise QB, you plug him in and go. That's what the Saints did. They were pretty much a little .500 with Brooks or whoever it was at QB for a few years. Then they traded for Brees and ere ready.

The Seahawks did pre much the same. Floated at 7-9 with Tarvaris Jackson for a couple of years while they acquired talent like Earl, Sherman, Sidney Rice etc.. Then RW shows up and it was off to the races.

Doing as you suggest would result in something like the Houston Texans with David Carr.

They lost me some today with the final 53 including bad Vlad & T Jones over some of the other cuts and then the trade for a 5'8" 160lbs player that we don't need when we have Tate.

They "lost you" before the Bills even played their first game under their leadership?

Yikes. Tough crowd.

I know most of the armchair GMs on this board would have done a better job, but that being said I'm hopeful with these guys.

Trust isn't the right word. You really can't trust or distrust the new regime yet. Time will tell. But I like what they are doing and think most of the people dismissing them are WAY overestimating where this team was. I don't see the trades really changing the record much. Maybe a game worse, but they were not likely to be good this year anyway.

It's refreshing for a change to see what looks like an actual plan as opposed to just winging it (IMHO)

They lost me some today with the final 53 including bad Vlad & T Jones over some of the other cuts and then the trade for a 5'8" 160lbs player that we don't need when we have Tate.

Clay has accomplished zero in his 3 yrs. We gave up a very good depth cb for Kaelin "6th rounder" Clay. If they don't get Brandon Reilly on their practice squad I'll lose it.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Clay has accomplished zero in his 3 yrs. We gave up a very good depth cb for Kaelin "6th rounder" Clay. If they don't get Brandon Reilly on their practice squad I'll lose it.

You seem really upset about a few fringe roster moves. You should have an ice cream cone.

They can agree all night and day, but if they do not evaluate talent properly with the know-how to construct a winning team then it's all for nought.

No sh-- Sherlock. But one of the reasons we've had two decades of incompetent talent evaluation is the GM and HC have more often than not had different agendas and poor communication. It doesn't matter what type of organization you are trying to lead, if your leaders aren't on the same page it's virtually impossible to succeed.

So I'm willing to give these guys a chance to execute a plan they appear to have thought through, since that's an approach we've yet to see this century.

Trust? They haven't earned any yet, but have an opportunity to do so.

Agreed, and whether the end result is good or bad, they are certainly doing the most with the opportunity they've been given. Unfortunately, up to this point, and especially with the moves they've made lately, they haven't done alot to inspire confidence in me. Just my opinion.

There is alot of double talk from this regime so far

Quite a bit, and I'm sorry, for the life of me I just cannot understand their infatuation with Vlad Ducasse, the decision to cut Brandon Reily, and the trading away of our number 2/3 corner for a short slot receiver who can return punts/kicks when we already have that in Tate!! I just don't get it.

Agreed, and whether the end result is good or bad, they are certainly doing the most with the opportunity they've been given. Unfortunately, up to this point, and especially with the moves they've made lately, they haven't done alot to inspire confidence in me. Just my opinion.

Quite a bit, and I'm sorry, for the life of me I just cannot understand their infatuation with Vlad Ducasse, the decision to cut Brandon Reily, and the trading away of our number 2/3 corner for a short slot receiver who can return punts/kicks when we already have that in Tate!! I just don't get it.

Same with me on those points. I don't get it neither on those points.

Not really. I think their moves so far have been suspect at best.

Not picking up the 5th year option on Sammy
Signed a 36 year old receiver that factored into the decision to trade Sammy retired.

Got a Ok CB in a contract year in return. Could be gone especially if he has a good year.

Traded Darby for a receiver in his contract year.

They are now trying to replace Sammy with two guys. Jordon and the guy they traded for today. Makes no sense.

Traded Ragland away when all of your LB"s are in a contract year.

Seymour was kinda meh.

All of this for a 2nd and 3rd round pick next year.

Next year we will be replacing good players with draft picks. Players that will be in their prime.

They now have a ton of picks to trade up for a QB but how many will they lose to get him? Meanwhile Veterans will be leaving.

They are keeping Tyrod as starter who looks lost with Watkins.

No i don't trust them.

In what world was Seymour the Bills' number 2/3 corner? It's been White, Gaines, Johnson, Wright for a while now.

As for Reilly, fan favorite WRs get cut every year because they don't contribute much on special teams, which you absolutely must do if you're a WR5 or WR6. Witness Kasen Williams in Seattle and Victor Cruz in Chicago from this year.

I do agree with the point about Ducasse, though. Dude's a bum.

In what world was Seymour the Bills' number 2/3 corner? It's been White, Gaines, Johnson, Wright for a while now.

As for Reilly, fan favorite WRs get cut every year because they don't contribute much on special teams, which you absolutely must do if you're a WR5 or WR6. Witness Kasen Williams in Seattle and Victor Cruz in Chicago from this year.

We got Logic to admit Ducasse is a bum. Now that's worthy of some chocolate malted krunch...

My mistake, I don't know why I thought Seymour was in the competition for that #2 corner position with Gaines and Wright. I know injuries kinda hurt his chances, but I seriously thought from what he did last year, that he would probably land the number two spot, at the very least be the nickel back.

With regards to Reilly, I do understand your point about being able to contribute on special teams, but I still thought he had a solid if not spectacular TC, caught nearly every pass thrown within a city block of him, and in the last pre-season game he left EVERYTHING out on the field. IMHO he deserves to be Buffalo Bill.

To everyone caterwauling:

Was Sammy going to take us to the promised land?

How about Darby?

Until the QB situation is resolved, these guys are like $10000 rims on a 1985 honda civic.

I know but with Sammy being so young he could have easily still been in his prime for a new QB. There's no way we can give a young QB this type of WR core.