Worst cut in Bills history

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By 1996 four-time Super Bowl starter Glenn Parker had become the whipping boy of fans and media both. He was cut by the Bills in 1997, went on to KC where he started 16 games en route to a 13-3 divisional championship. In 2000 after the Chiefs released him he went to the Giants and started 13 games in a 12-4 season, going on to lose his 5th Super Bowl.

By 1996 four-time Super Bowl starter Glenn Parker had become the whipping boy of fans and media both. He was cut by the Bills in 1997, went on to KC where he started 16 games en route to a 13-3 divisional championship. In 2000 after the Chiefs released him he went to the Giants and started 13 games in a 12-4 season, going on to lose his 5th Super Bowl.

The Coach ripped into him heavily every afternoon on WGR for the declining years. That helped W.B. status shuffle along?

The fat girl down the block is better at blocking.

Hit once and flops on the field like a $2 *****

Code name : Spaceman

Code name: Beast Mode. He was the best Bills RB since OJ Simpson ... and the asshat Bills gave him away.

Bills were an underrated developmental league squad for RBs that helped out in playoff runs at their next gig.

They're still a developmental league squad for DBs. Draft 'em high or develop them from low picks/free agents and give 'em away.

Most of those mentions weren't cut but not re-signed. In terms of actual cuts I could argue guys like Ahmad Rashad, Brian Jordan or Martin Mayhew but am sure are others but these were the first names that came to me.

You're right, most of them weren't cut. Like Ahmad Rashad. LOL

Honestly i would say Ryan Fitzpatrick. The guy would have really helped us when we had EJ as our starter and I think is better than Kyle Orton. I am a self confessed Fitz fan however so maybe i'm a bit biased.

I won't put him as the biggest but it's a good point. Fitz would be a perfect mentor to a young qb. It was a great move for TB to help dumb Jameis.

And lots of good responses. But honestly, every team can do this. If you have a great qb and/ or coach, these bad cuts don't hurt as much.

No, Smerlas was cut. He held a huge grudge against Marv Levy afterwards. The Bills thought Jeff Wright could pick up the slack. Wright wasn't terrible, but he wasn't Smerlas...was a little too light. Smerals played two or three more seasons with the 49ers.

Smerlas was a Plan B free agent, not the same as cut. If we are allowing Plan B to count Ronnie Harmon needs to go on the list based on his productivity after he left - not that anyone missed him at all. Also can't forget the circumstances around the team after 1989. There was a lot of house cleaning to get malcontents out of the locker room. That year alone saw Chris Burkett released during the season after he held out during camp, Smerlas and Harmon put on Plan B after the season. Smerlas was a pain in the ass his entire career.

Also, McDole wasn't cut he was traded, that doesn't count.

How about Ahmad Rashad? I'm not sure about the technicalities behind his leaving Buffalo other than he got hurt in 1975 and ended up in camp with the expansion Seahawks in 1976 who traded him to Minnesota where he made 4 Pro Bowls.

No mention of Kamil Loud

Gibran Hamdan

no matter how he left the team letting London Fletcher go was one seriously boneheaded moves by the Bills!

he played at a high level for the redskins for (7) seasons (after 5 with the Bills) and his stint with the skins included (4) pro bowls.

...he quit on this club......and Polian was fired thanks to Littmann.............

Ralph fired Polian because he insulted his daughter who had been working in scouting department and had found some good players.

In reality like Gary Anderson he cut himself.

Ralph fired Polian because he insulted his daughter who had been working in scouting department and had found some good players.

In reality like Gary Anderson he cut himself.

She made some good picks, but I think her selection of Keith Goganious in the 3rd round of the '92 draft was the straw that broke the camel's back.

She made some good picks, but I think her selection of Keith Goganious in the 3rd round of the '92 draft was the straw that broke the camel's back.

She did not select ANY picks - GM did that. She did scouting and blame for picks should go to GM.

I remember my dad being pissed about McDole playing for the Skins in the "Over the Hill Gang".

Back then, McDole's success in Wash showed just how good the Bills defense was in the mid-60's. I still wish the Bills would have managed one trip to the early Super Bowls.

Cookie Gilchrist, without a doubt. Likely cost the Bills the championship that KC won, putting them in the 1st Super Bowl. And as the 60s Saban Era Bills were the most "NFL-style" AFL team, winning that 1st SB would not have been out of the question. Now wouldn't that have been something?

Fat Pat and Mount Washington have to be in there along with Ron McDole. Was Reuben Brown a cut/release or a trade or his choice in FA? Because that too hurt the team big time.

Yep this is the biggest mistake ever made. Too bad Saban didn't stick around one more year. If the Bills had gone to the first Superbowl they could have won it.

This was not even close to the worst cut but I remember back in 2012 when we cut Tank Carder who was our 5th round pick that same year. People on the BBMB were claiming this was a good sign because it meant we had a ton of "depth". That never really made sense to me 🤔