Worst cut in Bills history

This is a short list, whatever the answer.

A longer list would be "who outstayed their welcome in a Bills uniform and should've been cut long before they were."

I was thinking the same thing, but I think Chris Kelsay would be the easy answer to that one. Honorable mention to Josh Reed & Roscoe Parrish.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought we were talking cuts only. Not re-signing a FA is whole different question imo

lynch wasn't cut

...he quit on this club......and Polian was fired thanks to Littmann.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Cookie Gilchrist, without a doubt. Likely cost the Bills the championship that KC won, putting them in the 1st Super Bowl. And as the 60s Saban Era Bills were the most "NFL-style" AFL team, winning that 1st SB would not have been out of the question. Now wouldn't that have been something?

Fat Pat and Mount Washington have to be in there along with Ron McDole. Was Reuben Brown a cut/release or a trade or his choice in FA? Because that too hurt the team big time.

I still say the biggest mistake that we have made this decade it drafting Spiller and shipping off Marshawn. DUMB - DUMB - DUMB - DUMB!!!!!!! Said it then and still can't get over it. Glad those idiots are GONE!

Go Bills! ! ! ! !

OK so I stand corrected - the hiring of Rex Ryan takes the cake for the biggest mistake.

Always thought we should have kept Kamar Aiken. We cut him, and he later had a 75 catch 5 TD season for the Ravens in 2015. He won't be in the Hall of Fame, but he would have been serviceable at a time when we were (are?) very thin at WR.

that is a good one

Neither of those players were cut. One hit free agency after his contract expired and the other was traded.

following the premise of the thread, you're right, but I still think we shouldn't have let those guys go.

London Fletcher, Pat Williams...by far those 2.

Next in line: Drew Bledsoe. Yes, he was near the end of his career, but JP wasn't ready, he missed his whole rookie year with a broken leg and was already raw coming out of college. After investing a first round pick in him on a trade up, they should have had Drew come back and let JP really learn a year once his leg was healed to give him a chance to develop. Not saying he ever would have, just saying at the time it was a dumb cut of a quality Veteran QB when you had a raw QB who missed his whole rookie year. After seeing JP over his career, I seriously doubt it would have changed much for him, but I am basing this on the decision to cut Bledsoe at the time it happened when they did not yet know JP's future.

Dusty is a tough one because he got hurt and Carpenter had a great season. Wasn't until 2015 that Carp started to lose it.

Maybe but between age and Carp's on again off again career, I thought staying with Hopkins made more sense. He could have been here 15 years.

HOLY CRAP!

I cannot believe how many people have said London Fletcher.

Where was all the love for this guy from TBD when he actually played for the Bills?!

Hindsight is definitely 20/20 on this board.

Im thinking London Fletcher should be somewhere on that list, along with Pat Williams

I was very disappointed about London leaving.

Affected my perspective on the FO of the era

Dusty is a tough one because he got hurt and Carpenter had a great season. Wasn't until 2015 that Carp started to lose it.

fact

London Fletcher, Pat Williams...by far those 2.

Next in line: Drew Bledsoe. Yes, he was near the end of his career, but JP wasn't ready, he missed his whole rookie year with a broken leg and was already raw coming out of college. After investing a first round pick in him on a trade up, they should have had Drew come back and let JP really learn a year once his leg was healed to give him a chance to develop. Not saying he ever would have, just saying at the time it was a dumb cut of a quality Veteran QB when you had a raw QB who missed his whole rookie year. After seeing JP over his career, I seriously doubt it would have changed much for him, but I am basing this on the decision to cut Bledsoe at the time it happened when they did not yet know JP's future.

interesting insight on a short sighted move by the Bills.

Good post 7 !

HOLY CRAP!

I cannot believe how many people have said London Fletcher.

Where was all the love for this guy from TBD when he actually played for the Bills?!

Hindsight is definitely 20/20 on this board.

I was not here then.

I was that pissed

:nana:

Chuck Hurston

? Okay pops give it up. Who the heck is C H ?

: )

I used to fantasize about having Pat Williams AND Ted Washington on the line.

Thats how you play a 4-3 with only 3 players up front.

None Shall Pass between the Tackles ever!

Okay i still fantasize about those two in the middle

I was very disappointed about London leaving.

Affected my perspective on the FO of the era

fact

interesting insight on a short sighted move by the Bills.

Good post 7 !

I was not here then.

I was that pissed

:nana:

? Okay pops give it up. Who the heck is C H ?

: )

I used to fantasize about having Pat Williams AND Ted Washington on the line.

Thats how you play a 4-3 with only 3 players up front.

None Shall Pass between the Tackles ever!

Okay i still fantasize about those two in the middle

he was a d-lineman out of auburn i think, drafted in 64 -65, cut him.. went on to play in K C.. played in the first super bowl.. just my opinion.. and sorry for being old

he was a d-lineman out of auburn i think, drafted in 64 -65, cut him.. went on to play in K C.. played in the first super bowl.. just my opinion.. and sorry for being old

I have the utmost respect for my Elders. and knowledgeable ones all the more

Never be sorry for being you Pops !

Al Atkinson. Went to Jets and was All pro -n Jets Super Bowl year.

that is up there for sure

I have the utmost respect for my Elders. and knowledgeable ones all the more

Never be sorry for being you Pops !

ok thanks.. im going to fart , go to bed while you go out and have a latte'

that is up there for sure

ok thanks.. im going to fart , go to bed while you go out and have a latte'

Ha. I went to the hospital after a fall in my home recently.

You know what they say when an Old Person falls in the home.

Just a matter of time now.

Nice try Sonny

Anderson deliberately missed every field goal he attempted in pre-season in order to force the Bills to cut him.

It was a pleasure to see him miss his only field goal of the season in the 1998 NFC title game against Atlanta, which cost Minnesota the game and a trip to the Super Bowl. That was Karma, baby!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000497721/Gary-Andn-misses-field-goal

Amen to that. I always believed the same thing. It was so enjoyable to watch that miss.

Pat Williams - When his contract expired he wanted to stay in Buffalo but received no offer or even a phone call from GM Tom Donahole.

Fred Jackson - Yeah he was getting long in the tooth but I really felt he had one more season left in him as the 3rd or 4th RB, and he would've been needed for a part of the season when both Shady and fat Karlos got hurt. Something about him being cut just never sat right with me.

So, it seems that if you are actually cut by the Bills, you really aren't going to amount to much because 90% of the names being thrown around on here weren't cut, but left in free agency. We should keep this in mind come late summer.

Sam Cowert - Blew out his achilles then we let him walk had a few solid years with the Jets before he got hurt again. Probably one of the most underrated BIlls LB of all time

Cowart was amazing before he was injured - he lost a step because of the achilles - probably the right move to let him go. A shame, i'll never forget his first game, he was all over the field.

I guess I'll go with Ted Washington. Pat Williams. There aren't many that come to mind tbh. Maybe Fitzy, using hindsight only after seeing what transpired afterward.

Agreed on Washington and Pat Williams.

I get where you are coming from on Fitz. I still don't think we would have cut him if the Buddy and TB GM conversation didn't go viral.

So, yep, Yolo has my vote on the first two and can't argue with the 3rd. But, there are some more good (bad) cuts out there. Love the topic!

Pat Wiiliams IMO.

Dustin Hopkins is a sleeper pick. That was a bad move.

Dustin Hopkins was a bad move. I think it was a knee jerk reaction.

Another cut, that was not terrible, but, I didn't like at the time and didn't like after was Joique Bell. I think after a great training camp he was thought of as a JAG, but, he was better than average.