J. Byrd, L. Hall, G. Barnidge currently available.

Word is that Beane and his staff meet daily with McD to discuss adding potential FAs and other players in order to improve the weakest positions on the Bills' current roster.

Below is a lost of the current Top 50 available FAs.

The weakest position groups currently include: S, TE, DE, LB, CB and depth at RB and WR.

S: With Hyde and Poyer as the only proven players you just know that the Bills are looking to add here. They already had planned to meet with S T. Boston, but he signed with the Chargers.

Possible Add: S J. Byrd. With Gill Byrd as one of the Bills' current DB coaches may eventually be inclined to sign with the Bills.

TE: Clay has been injury prone so do the Bills really have a #1 TE that they can count on for 16 games?? O'Leary and Logan are nothing more than role players.

Possible Add: TE G. Barnidge. Barnidge is holding out for a team that would make him their #1 TE. He would be a huge addition to Dennison's ball control offense.

DE: The Bills currently have Hughes, Sh. Lawson, and R. Davis at DE. L. Alexander will surely play DE in obvious passing situations, but more depth is needed. An injury to Hughes would be devastating.

Possible Add: DE P. Kruger or DL J. Odrick.

LB: Ragland, Alexander, Hodges, P. Brown, Humber make up a pretty good group, but Alexander may need to be spelled so that he can contribute as a pass rusher and ST demon.

Possible Add: D. Levy.

CB: Darby, White, and Seymour are likely the top 3 and are a very inexperienced group. Wright, Coleman, and James are likely the next in line. This group could still use an upgrade.

Possible Add: CB B. Flowers or CB A. Verner or CB L. Hall. The Bills worked out CB S. Shields, but adding Flowers, Verner or Hall (or even 2 of the 3) would certainly upgrade this group.

WR: Watkins, Jones, Holmes, C. Brown, Streater, and Tate are probably the top six. That's not a bad group as long as Watkins can stay healthy for 16 games, but will that be the case??

Possible Add: WR A. Boldin or WR V. Jackson. Both are up in age, which is why they are likely still available. Still, both would be an upgrade over what the Bills currently have.

RB: McCoy, J. Williams, Tolbert are the top 3. The Bills may want a fourth RB to give McCoy some relief and may want someone who can fill the 3rd down back role.

Possible Add: RB DeAngelo Williams. Yes, he's 34, but he can still play. He was extremely effective when RB L. Bell was on the shelf.

What should Beane and co. do to improve this team to make it more competitive in 2017??

Top 50 – 2017 NFL Free Agents List

RK Player Pos. Team Age Note 1 Tramaine Brock CB SF 29 2 King Dunlap OT LAC 31 3 Ryan Clady OT NYJ 30 4 Perry Riley ILB OAK 29 5 Nick Mangold C NYJ 33 6 Isa Abdul-Quddus S MIA 28 7 DeAndre Levy 4-3 OLB DET 30 8 Austin Pasztor G CLE 26 9 Darrelle Revis CB NYJ 32 10 Brandon Flowers CB LAC 31 11 Paul Kruger 3-4 OLB NO 31 12 Elvis Dumervil 3-4 OLB BAL 33 13 Gary Barnidge TE CLE 31 14 Alterraun Verner CB TB 28 15 Ladarius Green TE PIT 27 16 Sam Shields CB GB 29 17 Aaron Williams S BUF 27 18 Cyrus Kouandjio OT BUF 24 19 Corey Graham S BUF 32 20 Jairus Byrd S NO 30 21 Sio Moore ILB ARI 27 22 Dan Williams DT OAK 30 23 Jared Odrick DT JAX 29 24 Anquan Boldin WR DET 36 25 Marcus Gilchrist S NYJ 28 26 Leon Hall CB NYG 32 27 Orlando Franklin G LAC 29 28 Erik Walden 3-4 OLB IND 32 29 Trent Cole 3-4 OLB IND 34 30 Jacob Tamme TE ATL 32 31 Sen’Derrick Marks DT JAX 30 32 Dwight Freeney 4-3 DE ATL 37 33 Josh Bynes 4-3 OLB DET 28 34 Colin Kaepernick QB SF 29 35 Mario Williams 4-3 DE MIA 32 36 Tony McDaniel DT SEA 32 37 Cam Thomas DT LAR 30 38 Jason Jones 4-3 DE MIA 31 39 Marquess Wilson WR CHI 24 40 Kendrick Lewis S BAL 29 41 Rey Maualuga ILB CIN 30 42 Rashad Johnson S TEN 31 43 Stevie Johnson WR LAC 31 44 Leodis McKelvin CB PHI 32 45 Tyson Jackson DT ATL 31 46 Vincent Jackson WR TB 34 47 Arthur Jones 3-4 DE IND 31 48 Paul Soliai DT CAR 33 49 Steven Terrell S SEA 26 50 Roy Miller DT JAX 30

I am very surprised there is still so much talent available. Pegulas are happy to spend, so why not add. Just nothing long term, build through the draft and fill holes through free agency!

Happy to spend but there's still a cap

Word is that Beane and his staff meet daily with McD to discuss adding potential FAs and other players in order to improve the weakest positions on the Bills' current roster.

Below is a lost of the current Top 50 available FAs.

The weakest position groups currently include: S, TE, DE, LB, CB and depth at RB and WR.

S: With Hyde and Poyer as the only proven players you just know that the Bills are looking to add here. They already had planned to meet with S T. Boston, but he signed with the Chargers.

Possible Add: S J. Byrd. With Gill Byrd as one of the Bills' current DB coaches may eventually be inclined to sign with the Bills.

TE: Clay has been injury prone so do the Bills really have a #1 TE that they can count on for 16 games?? O'Leary and Logan are nothing more than role players.

Possible Add: TE G. Barnidge. Barnidge is holding out for a team that would make him their #1 TE. He would be a huge addition to Dennison's ball control offense.

DE: The Bills currently have Hughes, Sh. Lawson, and R. Davis at DE. L. Alexander will surely play DE in obvious passing situations, but more depth is needed. An injury to Hughes would be devastating.

Possible Add: DE P. Kruger or DL J. Odrick.

LB: Ragland, Alexander, Hodges, P. Brown, Humber make up a pretty good group, but Alexander may need to be spelled so that he can contribute as a pass rusher and ST demon.

Possible Add: D. Levy.

CB: Darby, White, and Seymour are likely the top 3 and are a very inexperienced group. Wright, Coleman, and James are likely the next in line. This group could still use an upgrade.

Possible Add: CB B. Flowers or CB A. Verner or CB L. Hall. The Bills worked out CB S. Shields, but adding Flowers, Verner or Hall (or even 2 of the 3) would certainly upgrade this group.

WR: Watkins, Jones, Holmes, C. Brown, Streater, and Tate are probably the top six. That's not a bad group as long as Watkins can stay healthy for 16 games, but will that be the case??

Possible Add: WR A. Boldin or WR V. Jackson. Both are up in age, which is why they are likely still available. Still, both would be an upgrade over what the Bills currently have.

RB: McCoy, J. Williams, Tolbert are the top 3. The Bills may want a fourth RB to give McCoy some relief and may want someone who can fill the 3rd down back role.

Possible Add: RB DeAngelo Williams. Yes, he's 34, but he can still play. He was extremely effective when RB L. Bell was on the shelf.

What should Beane and co. do to improve this team to make it more competitive in 2017??

Top 50 – 2017 NFL Free Agents List

RK Player Pos. Team Age Note 1 Tramaine Brock CB SF 29 2 King Dunlap OT LAC 31 3 Ryan Clady OT NYJ 30 4 Perry Riley ILB OAK 29 5 Nick Mangold C NYJ 33 6 Isa Abdul-Quddus S MIA 28 7 DeAndre Levy 4-3 OLB DET 30 8 Austin Pasztor G CLE 26 9 Darrelle Revis CB NYJ 32 10 Brandon Flowers CB LAC 31 11 Paul Kruger 3-4 OLB NO 31 12 Elvis Dumervil 3-4 OLB BAL 33 13 Gary Barnidge TE CLE 31 14 Alterraun Verner CB TB 28 15 Ladarius Green TE PIT 27 16 Sam Shields CB GB 29 17 Aaron Williams S BUF 27 18 Cyrus Kouandjio OT BUF 24 19 Corey Graham S BUF 32 20 Jairus Byrd S NO 30 21 Sio Moore ILB ARI 27 22 Dan Williams DT OAK 30 23 Jared Odrick DT JAX 29 24 Anquan Boldin WR DET 36 25 Marcus Gilchrist S NYJ 28 26 Leon Hall CB NYG 32 27 Orlando Franklin G LAC 29 28 Erik Walden 3-4 OLB IND 32 29 Trent Cole 3-4 OLB IND 34 30 Jacob Tamme TE ATL 32 31 Sen’Derrick Marks DT JAX 30 32 Dwight Freeney 4-3 DE ATL 37 33 Josh Bynes 4-3 OLB DET 28 34 Colin Kaepernick QB SF 29 35 Mario Williams 4-3 DE MIA 32 36 Tony McDaniel DT SEA 32 37 Cam Thomas DT LAR 30 38 Jason Jones 4-3 DE MIA 31 39 Marquess Wilson WR CHI 24 40 Kendrick Lewis S BAL 29 41 Rey Maualuga ILB CIN 30 42 Rashad Johnson S TEN 31 43 Stevie Johnson WR LAC 31 44 Leodis McKelvin CB PHI 32 45 Tyson Jackson DT ATL 31 46 Vincent Jackson WR TB 34 47 Arthur Jones 3-4 DE IND 31 48 Paul Soliai DT CAR 33 49 Steven Terrell S SEA 26 50 Roy Miller DT JAX 30

Nice post CoC - good information presented in an organized way!

Clearly our roster has some holes. This gives me some hope that 1 or 2 of those holes might be plugged yet - at least partially so.

My son-in-law is a personal trainer out here in LA...and Byrd was in this exclusive Gym a couple of weeks ago working through some tightness. He hasn't seen him again since then, so I guess he's "good to go"! :thumbsup:

Jairus Byrd worked out with the 49'ers yesterday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/30/49ers-working-out-veteran-safety-jairus-byrd/

Byrd and Hall are working out for SF currently. Hopefully they keep their options open.

I think Beane will look for bargains at this point. The Bills have about $9M in cap space available. He knows that he can't afford to sign anyone major, but he also knows that it is very important that he give his HC enough fire power to at least show what he can do.

Even if the Bills don't win more than 8 games this year McD will be evaluated to determine if he is the long term solution.

I expect more help to be on the way.

Byrd and Hall are working out for SF currently. Hopefully they keep their options open.

I think Beane will look for bargains at this point. The Bills have about $9M in cap space available. He knows that he can't afford to sign anyone major, but he also knows that it is very important that he give his HC enough fire power to at least show what he can do.

Even if the Bills don't win more than 8 games this year McD will be evaluated to determine if he is the long term solution.

I expect more help to be on the way.

Byrd would be an excellent pick up for the Bills, at this point. If he is signed and healthy, I would expect him to start or at least see significant playing time.

Clearly our roster has some holes. This gives me some hope that 1 or 2 of those holes might be plugged yet - at least partially so.

agreed on all counts hondo

Thanks CoC !

Is your speaking with such authority based on inside knowledge, or just a desire to pass off your opinion as fact?

Doesn't take insider knowledge to see we have limited cap space and typically anyone still available is holding out for a big contract. We will wait until the dust settles and then throw out our low ball offers

Is your speaking with such authority based on inside knowledge, or just a desire to pass off your opinion as fact?

Love this argument. Someone must have inside knowledge to state the obvious these days.

Bring back A. Williams and Leodis McKelvin. Both can probably be signed for one year incentive laden contracts. I honestly thought Leodis would make a very good FS. His biggest issue was turning and locating the ball. He can run with anyone in the league and if he is square to the LOS most of the time he will make more plays on the ball.

I like Barnridge. J. Byrd is on the short list of most overrated Bills of all time. He is terrible. Even his dad probably knows that.

Love this argument. Someone must have inside knowledge to state the obvious these days.

So the "obvious" is we're looking at bargain basement guys as Kdiggs said, yet we have media reports that we hosted Barnidge. Got it.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Byrd is a mercenary from day one. A timid player who refuses to stick his nose into the tough stuff.

I don't blame him for taking the money, but he never earned it before or after the contract. He was a creation of the press.

i doubt we will get any of these guys. we are looking for the bargain basement veterans at this point

Yeah, cap is tight. We've got around $8.75 mill available after the top 51, and the Bills habit is to keep around $6 mill or so unused and available in case we need injury replacements during the season.

Whoever we get won't likely cost much.

I'll take Byrd and Barnidge please!!🤗And let's go to camp. Speaking of camp can we bring it back to SUNY Fredonia. We were in Playoffs and Super Bowls when we trained there🤔

St.John Fisher is best camp in league.

I'm down with Byrd & Barnidge but I don't think we need any more CBs or WRs. Im okay with our DEs too. Davis and Lorax will back up 55 & 90.

Byrd is a mercenary from day one. A timid player who refuses to stick his nose into the tough stuff.

I don't blame him for taking the money, but he never earned it before or after the contract. He was a creation of the press.

That's not reasonable.

He earned it before the contract. That's why the Bills gave him a very high offer.

But yeah, after the contract injuries and a scheme - Thanks, Rob Ryan!! - that never really fit him and a defense that just wasn't very good ... he didn't perform anywhere near the contract.

But he did certainly play extremely well before the contract.

He screwed with us so badly in his last season. Worse than Gilmore last year and that's saying something. He's the kind of "me first" player that no team needs.

Got a link of anyone from the Bills saying anything slightly like this? Or is it just more fan sour grapes?

Yeah, he was about the money. So are they all, really, until the second or third multi-million dollar contract when they can start thinking about hometown discounts.

Shaw66, I wish it weren't true, but the Bills have obvious concerns about Clay's knee. That's the main reason why they have brought in Barnidge for a look see. Clay is also making a boatload of money so they're in the process of evaluating that as well.

They want to sign Barnidge, but he wants to go where he can be the #1 TE and be paid like it so he's keeping his options open.

What would be the cap hit if we cut clay after the season?

Also what options would we have in free agency and the draft next year at the tight end spot if we were to cut clay?

Edited by CDogg20

Agree. Thanks, CoC! We NEED a few more vet players.

So the "obvious" is we're looking at bargain basement guys as Kdiggs said, yet we have media reports that we hosted Barnidge. Got it.

Hosted him. Not offered him a $5 million contract. We have far too many holes to fill with little cap space to do so. Maybe the Bills are hoping they can get him cheap since teams will be wary of his age, or maybe they want leverage for a restructured contract with Clay. Whatever the reasons for his visit, we're not shelling out big money to get him.

I'll take Byrd and Barnidge please!!🤗And let's go to camp. Speaking of camp can we bring it back to SUNY Fredonia. We were in Playoffs and Super Bowls when we trained there🤔

I'm with this. Byrd and Barnidge would make me feel much better

I have seen enough of J Byrd. He laid down on the job in his contract year for the Bills, I don't want to see his low life character here again in Buffalo. I paid my season ticket that year, and he collected his check and didn't play.