Beane hired as GM

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The perception of the team is changing ... fwiw nothing will be the same. Some fans will resist that, others will welcome it. Some of the change will be a bit painful, but necessary.

I agree with your statement.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/138272-surprise-brandon-beane-is-now-the-bills-gm/

dumbasses on the carolina board:

bp.jpg.30a2c3f55969a33cbe9330e14707f02b.

guess that they forgot bill polian, don beebe, pete metzelaars, frank reich... yeah, douchbags.

i hope we destroy that team.

A lot dumb meatheads down in Charlotte what do you expect

Coming late to the party so sorry if this has already been covered.

So same structure with GM and HC reporting separately to the owners?

Given the reporting structure and the fact that McD was already hired, I'd probably be more concerned bringing in someone McD was not familiar with than bringing in Beane. I also like that they are on the same contract schedule, tying their fates to each other.

With that said, I'm in the camp that thinks it's odd they hired a rookie HC before they hired the GM.

Edited by LI_Bills

With that said, I'm in the camp that thinks it'd odd they hired a rookie HC before they hired the GM.

Isn't it possible/ likely, that they had this particular combo in mind for some time, but they had to get the coach first to allow him time to get started before the draft? They may have wanted Beane with him all along but had to wait to pull the trigger until after the draft?

Over a year ago Peter Schrager named Beane a top 5 GM candidate in the entire NFL. We should be celebrating landing an up and coming Talent who happens to also have a strong relationship with our new Head Coach.

... Peter Schrager of Fox Sports

5. Brandon Beane, assistant general manager, Carolina Panthers

In three years as general manager, Dave Gettleman has done a marvelous job transforming the Panthers from an afterthought into an NFL powerhouse. His right-hand man is Beane, a 38-year-old Panthers lifer. Beane pre-dated Gettleman but was so valued within the organization that he kept his scouting job and even had it expanded once Gettleman took over for Marty Hurney in 2013. Carolina's last few drafts are loaded with home runs, and Beane's fingerprints are all over them.

Those are glowing words indeed and if he can pick a better QB the crybaby chicken little Cam we will be all set.

and don't know crap about personnel Wow I guess he will learn that on the fly. Another weak hire first a middle of the road Defensive coach who didn't know personnel and now a yes man. THEY BOTH WILL BE FIRED IN 3 YRS

I am amused by the people who have strong negative and positive opinions on this hire.

How much do any of us actually know about Beane or any other Assistant GM?

I'll wait till I learn more before I form my own opinion.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Having 2 young guys who are lauded for their work ethic. Could be worse.

I personally love it. Theres something to be said about attention to detail, communication, and a great work ethic.

Those things coupled with passion and you have unlimited potential.

I personally love it. Theres something to be said about attention to detail, communication, and a great work ethic.

Those things coupled with passion and you have unlimited potential.

I like having people with something to prove rather than those who have been there and done that and think that reputation is enough to live on (Rex)

Without sounding overly apathetic, does anyone care? To me this just confirms that McDermott is running the show. This guy has a similar vision but other than that I couldn't be more indifferent.

Agreed. He is McD's puppet. Hope it works but giving a 1st time coach this much power seems crazy.

Isn't it possible/ likely, that they had this particular combo in mind for some time, but they had to get the coach first to allow him time to get started before the draft? They may have wanted Beane with him all along but had to wait to pull the trigger until after the draft?

Could be, I try to stay away from speculation (it's difficult!) and comment on what is. They appear to be tied at the hip now. I think that's a good thing given my concern about the reporting structure.

In my opinion the best way to rebuild is after bottoming out.

Got to disagree there. I think it happened in a few instances when Peyton Manning and the like were coming up in the draft but teams such as the Browns, Jags regularly bottom out but havent used it to leverage that in the drafts and climb their way to glory.

Kinda makes you wonder if Jim Overdorf's days are numbered. Beane handled contract negotiations in Carolina and that's supposed to be Overdorf's main job at OBD. Could another lifer be on his way out and OBD finally gets the much needed purge?

With that said, I'm in the camp that thinks it's odd they hired a rookie HC before they hired the GM.

If you try to put together the pieces, it appears that Beane for GM was always McD's plan and likely discussed with the Pegulas at the time of the hire. McD wanted to use the 7-8 months of scouting to his advantage as it was valuable information and Whaley et al may have been perfectly good scouts. Once the draft was done, the rest of the plan was put in action with Whaley being fired and the new scouting season beginning with a new GM and scouts. Maybe I am reading the tea leaves but this seems plausible.

If the above were true, I still think the Dawkins pick could be checked out for tampering.

Cam is OVERRATED had one good season and came back to earth. Once he pussed out on his fumble in the Super Bowl he lost the trust of his teammates and will continue to be an average QB.

He's no John Skelton or Landry Jones. You are the best qb evaluator ever.

If you try to put together the pieces, it appears that Beane for GM was always McD's plan and likely discussed with the Pegulas at the time of the hire. McD wanted to use the 7-8 months of scouting to his advantage as it was valuable information and Whaley et al may have been perfectly good scouts. Once the draft was done, the rest of the plan was put in action with Whaley being fired and the new scouting season beginning with a new GM and scouts. Maybe I am reading the tea leaves but this seems plausible.

If the above were true, I still think the Dawkins pick could be checked out for tampering.

Plausible.

But I'm skeptical that McD had a master plan beyond becoming a HC. I'd be more inclined to guess that once he got his foot in the door things changed.

Am I wrong to assume we could've shown Whaley the door along with Rex but retained the scouting staff until the draft?

"When they first bought the team, there was a strong argument to do exactly what the Pegulas have done this offseason: to scrub the building down in the attempt of ridding themselves of all the residue of mediocrity over the past 17 years. They let long-tenured people go behind the scenes, fired notable names, and then hired a head coach in Sean McDermott that they see as an idealistic person to be the face of a franchise."

And I salute them for it! :beer: Thank you Pegs! :thumbsup:

Agreed, this is a great thing.

The perception of the team is changing ... fwiw nothing will be the same. Some fans will resist that, others will welcome it. Some of the change will be a bit painful, but necessary.

Yep!
Very positive

so in 2 years when they are both gone because they are connected what then? McDermott seems to be calling all the shots.. Beane I have no clue what he is doing.. Lets hope this is not Chip Kelly 2.0 because if it is... we start all over in 2 years... UNLESS... we get a QB.. all this is about Franchise QB.. IF they prove to get there man next year.. and lets face facts its about next year... then they are golden.. If not?

same thing 2-3 years from now.. :wallbash:

Got to disagree there. I think it happened in a few instances when Peyton Manning and the like were coming up in the draft but teams such as the Browns, Jags regularly bottom out but havent used it to leverage that in the drafts and climb their way to glory.

Fan is right. If you look at the track record of NFL teams who have "bottomed out", it's at best a mixed bag.

I think part of the problem is culture change - losing or not GAF about losing becomes a habit, just like anything else one keeps doing.

I think having 2 like minded individuals as a cohesive unit is a great thing, we obviously haven't had that which is why we are where we are, not sure if it will work but I love the direction, now hopefully they'll get time to not only find the right players for McDermott but also have to contend with the best HC/QB in all of football right off the bat.

I tip my hat to the new Constitution

Take a bow for the new revolution

Smile and grin at the change all around

Then I pick up my guitar and play,

Just like yesterday,

Then I'll get on my knees and pray..

We don't get fooled again.

Welcome to Buffalo, Mr Beane...

Without sounding overly apathetic, does anyone care? To me this just confirms that McDermott is running the show. This guy has a similar vision but other than that I couldn't be more indifferent.

I agree, for the most part, but am concerned about our near future scouting staff. DW notwithstanding, I felt Monos & Co. was an excellent group with continued continuity. Everyone was IN on the focus for the future. That takes time and the right people.

I think Terry gave McD and Beane a clean slate. Hope they bring back some key scouts that were let go. I would even have kept Doug as a scout , he's still being paid I would think.