Beane hired as GM

If Beane was hired first as the GM and then he hired McDermott as the HC I would be less troubled and very satisfied. The opposite happened here, at least it seems that way to me. It appears that McDermott is the one most empowered in the franchise. That in itself isn't necessarily bad but it comes with caveats.

The obvious advantage of hiring Beane is that because of the close association with the new HC it is more likely that there is going to be more unity of thought in the football operation. That is usually a good thing but it also can be a bad thing when there is too much group think and not enough challenging of views.

Contrary to what many people believe my view is that the Bills are going through a rebuild, not necessarily full scale like the Browns but still very substantial. It is not only a major overhauling of the roster but also the organization. That in itself is a good thing if done the right way.

Well said John and I keep trying to figure out who the Bills are. They do certain things that say they are trying to win now (keeping Tyrod, bringing Kyle back) and then do other things that point to the future (picking up the extra 2018 pick & 2018 cap space). Then they don't pick up Sammy's option, match Gillislee or draft his replacement. I really don't know who they are. Are they trying to win 10 games and sneak in the playoffs or are they trying to hit the reset button? To me, it looks like they are trying to do both.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said John and I keep trying to figure out who the Bills are. They do certain things that say they are trying to win now (keeping Tyrod, bringing Kyle back) and then do other things that point to the future (picking up the extra 2018 pick & 2018 cap space). Then they don't pick up Sammy's option, match Gillislee or draft his replacement. I really don't know who they are. Are they trying to win 10 games and sneak in the playoffs or are they trying to hit the reset button? To me, it looks like they are trying to do both.

Exactly. And the team that tries to rebuild while remaining competitive enough to have an outside shot at a playoff berth usually remains that way for, oh, 17 years or so?

Beane has done absolutely nothing to show he is a qualified GM. I'm not saying he won't be one here its just he isn't even nearly as qualified as the other candidates which makes me question what the hell is going through Pegula's head atm

outside their SB run last year the Panthers were a mediocre middle of the league team just like the Bills. Their drafting is also very shaky

The more you contribute here, the less you contribute here.

To everyone saying that Beane has no experience, I disagree. I consider guys like Elway and Lynch to be candidates with no experience (before they were hired). Beane is an NFL front office veteran with experience in nearly every facet of running an NFL franchise. Much lower risk than say, handing your franchise to Peyton Manning, or some other ex player. I understand that some feel there may have been other "more qualified" candidates out there, but in my opinion, we got a young, competitive up and comer with plenty of hands on training and experience already under his belt.

then go to the hospital....... You mean two unqualified people that will be fired because time will show they are not good at their job... I give the two stooges 3 yrs before both get fired

Stop ranting and make your case. Explain why they're stooges. Edited by BillnutinHouston

Exactly. And the team that tries to rebuild while remaining competitive enough to have an outside shot at a playoff berth usually remains that way for, oh, 17 years or so?

Can't speak the truth around here you get bashed. You must open arms and give every noob a hug or your not a fan. Another HC/GM (rookies at that) fiddling around without a QB, I've seen how this has gone for many,many years now. Maybe they wise up and get lucky in next years draft? But the typical BS 6-10, 7-9 or hey maybe 8-8 season will only make it worse.

Oh well, time will tell. Hope my passion comes back around preseason and this is the flattest I've ever felt about this team. Usually a new coach or GM would swing my mindset but not this time. Maybe that is the record for success though?

Time will tell all.

Edited by Real McCoy

Beane has done absolutely nothing to show he is a qualified GM. I'm not saying he won't be one here its just he isn't even nearly as qualified as the other candidates which makes me question what the hell is going through Pegula's head atm

outside their SB run last year the Panthers were a mediocre middle of the league team just like the Bills. Their drafting is also very shaky

Name me a team whose drafting is not "very shaky". If you answer with anything but "There are none," I'll explain to you why you're wrong.

"When they first bought the team, there was a strong argument to do exactly what the Pegulas have done this offseason: to scrub the building down in the attempt of ridding themselves of all the residue of mediocrity over the past 17 years. They let long-tenured people go behind the scenes, fired notable names, and then hired a head coach in Sean McDermott that they see as an idealistic person to be the face of a franchise."

And I salute them for it! :beer: Thank you Pegs! :thumbsup:

Can't speak the truth around here you get bashed. Another HC/GM (rookies at that) fiddling around without a QB, I've seen how this has gone for many,many years now. Maybe they wise up and get lucky in next years draft? But the typical BS 6-10, 7-9 or hey maybe 8-8 season will only make it worse.

Oh well, time will tell. Hope my passion comes back around preseason and this is the flattest I've ever felt about this team. Usually a new coach or GM would swing my mindset but not this time. Maybe that is the record for success though?

Time will tell all.

Your first problem is that you want Whaley back.

Is it possible they are doing just that ?

and even more to the point for me, is that not the best method for long term sustainable growth as a Company.

Cannot neglect one to achieve the other, synergy is at the core. Live for today looking towards tomorrow

"When they first bought the team, there was a strong argument to do exactly what the Pegulas have done this offseason: to scrub the building down in the attempt of ridding themselves of all the residue of mediocrity over the past 17 years. They let long-tenured people go behind the scenes, fired notable names, and then hired a head coach in Sean McDermott that they see as an idealistic person to be the face of a franchise."

And I salute them for it! :beer: Thank you Pegs! :thumbsup:

this is your most Positive post in a rather good while isn't it ?

With respect to the highlighted section we have had this discussion before. I understand your position which is conflicted but mine isn't. It's my strongly held view that McDermott entered into this new endeavor with a blueprint on how he wants to not only build a roster but also an organization. This is a major overhaul from the front office to the roster. You don't summarily fire all your scouts and everyone associated with the Whaley regime unless you want a complete restructuring. This isn't simply replacing staff---it is replacing the culture and mind-set on how the franchise operates from top to bottom.

McDermott prefers having a roster full of high character and effort players over more talented but less diligent and disciplined players. It is going to take time to rework the roster but it will be done. His first draft clearly indicates that he is not interested in talented players but troubled players.

Beyond the roster the wrestling coach also has a vision on how the cap should be structured and balanced out. I believe that one of Beane's primary responsibilities is to better manage the cap.

Contrary to the opinion of most others I don't believe that the Bills are close to being a playoff team. (I have stated my position right after his hiring.) That really doesn't bother me as long as the rebuild is done in a smart way and that progress is steady enough where success is soon realistic. It's my opinion that this isn't a quick fix situation. If things are done right I can handle it.

Oh, I've been very positive now that positive changes are finally being made. The last 10 days have been a blast!

you do realize they have lured you back in?

Brandon and his pentagrams and naked dancing around a Yankee Candle under a moonlighty night has taken its toll upon even you.

Even the strong become weak under his spell

Can't speak the truth around here you get bashed. You must open arms and give every noob a hug or your not a fan. Another HC/GM (rookies at that) fiddling around without a QB, I've seen how this has gone for many,many years now. Maybe they wise up and get lucky in next years draft? But the typical BS 6-10, 7-9 or hey maybe 8-8 season will only make it worse.

Time will tell all.

You know what? I wouldn't mind a full rebuild. But then - unlike so many others - I think I'm a true NFL (and Bills) fan. It sucks to go, say, 2-14 and 4-12 in consecutive years. But I actually like watching young players develop, trying to play amateur scout (hey, I think they may have gotten a steal with that 5th round linebacker!), getting ready for that Year 3 or Year 4 when, if everything breaks right, you'll have one helluva team. In fact, I like that a whole lot more than the "let's build a team that project to go 7-9, and if the ball bounces our way a few times we might be in the playoff hunt in December." That's getting tedious. And maybe Bills fans would still show up/tune in for that full rebuild. Who knows? You won't know till you have the guts to try it. Tons of Bills fans seem more interested in getting drunk and destroying card tables than in actually watching a game anyway ...

They are taking a shot and giving two rookies their chance. Can't say I'm excited. But I am certainly not nauseous like I was after the Pegulas hired Rex. Hopefully the Pegulas did better this time. The good news is, they pretty much had to do better this time, the last hire was so horrific. We'll start to see this season, and really see after the next draft and season.