Beane hired as GM

Most likely.

But I don't think fans will be content with a 6-10 or so season. The homecoming for McDermott will be over.

No doubt the fans will express their frustrations if the team goes through another 6-10 type season. My response is: Tough! This organization needs to stop taking an approach of let's just get by on a year to year basis so we have something acceptable to market. There comes a point where you have to have a winning vision and blueprint that will get you there. The challenge is not to come up with a plan that will lead to success. The real challenge is to come up with a good plan and then having the courage and fortitude to stick with the plan when you go through the inevitable struggles. Taking the easy way out of baling out only gets you back to the starting line. Isn't more than a generation of muddling along long enough before there is a direction change?

The Buffalo fans are for the most part smart enough to know what works and what doesn't. If there is a reasonable blueprint and some measures of success I'm confident that most people will be on board. You never are going to get total acceptance but that's reality.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is the case, we better hope that there are top 5 teams that don't need a qb.

And SM strikes me as a "every game is super important and it's not about evaluating young players" guy.

If the reason they're losing is subpar QB play, you better believe there will be a move, especially since he passed on Mahomes.

Peter Schrager on Good Morning Football this morning was praising the Brandon Beane hiring and said that he is widely considered one of the best scouting minds in the NFL. The more I hear, the more excited I get about this hire.

All we are saying...is give Beane a chance.

C_bAvhTXYAAHCnS.jpg

Peter Schrager on Good Morning Football this morning was praising the Brandon Beane hiring and said that he is widely considered one of the best scouting minds in the NFL. The more I hear, the more excited I get about this hire.

Don't fall into the trap! We all know how this ends.

I hope we go 2-14... are you kidding me? I'm sick of not being in position to get that elite QB. Dareus was as close as we came during the Newton draft.

That being said, the lower we pick the less likely we have to give anything up in addition to insure we can get a QB.

I hope we go 2-14... are you kidding me? I'm sick of not being in position to get that elite QB. Dareus was as close as we came during the Newton draft.

That being said, the lower we pick the less likely we have to give anything up in addition to insure we can get a QB.

So you would rather go 2-14 to get a "franchise QB" rather than go 10-6 and make the playoffs with the talent already on the roster? I can not get onboard with that. I am hoping our new system gets enough out of this years roster so that next years draft is adding to the vision already in place.

And the joke continues.... The real problem I see now is the ownership....they are piece mealing everything. Thank goodness club section 231 row 1 seats 5-10 wasn't paid on. I will let my wallet do the talking that 12k will go on something else. Raptor seasons are starting to look nice, I will get to see Lebron James play.....

not a single person cares about this. just move on without the fan fare.

Not so fast, not so fast. Row 1 of clubs becoming available may be of interest to some of the true Billievers here :)

Have you ever sat through a 2-14 season? I have...twice....along with 1-13, 1-12-1, 3-11, 4-12.....they are not fun and you don't feel hopeful about the future at all, regardless of the top draft pick because if you finish that low you need more than just a QB

I agree, for the most part, but am concerned about our near future scouting staff. DW notwithstanding, I felt Monos & Co. was an excellent group with continued continuity. Everyone was IN on the focus for the future. That takes time and the right people.

I've always been high on Monos and preferred he were the GM over Whaley. But I have faith that Beane and McDermott can put together a very good scouting staff. Maybe they'll even re-hire some of the same guys who were just let go. I'm not concerned about it.

It was widely reported that Whaley wanted to get rid of TT and it was reported that he also wanted to draft a qb, Mahomes, in this draft. I agreed with that strategy. The problem was Whaley lost his authority to act when McDermott was brought on.

I'm not an absolutist on the rebuild issue. I understand why McDermott preferred keeping TT and going on from there. It's difficult to instill a positive culture and the coach maintaining credibility when you are weekly being pummeled.

The tank/rebuild season has to occur when the previous coach is still around. If the Pegulas wanted a full rebuild, then they would've (should've?) kept Rex for another season.

You don't want your first-year HC taking it on the chin in year #1. The fans would think he sucks and would immediately want him fired. The pressure generated from that impatience would seep into the organization and cause the front office to make decisions they wouldn't otherwise make. The franchise would basically be sabotaged.

There's no reason this team shouldn't improve on last year's 7-9 record. And if they don't then that's strike one on McDerBeane.

So you would rather go 2-14 to get a "franchise QB" rather than go 10-6 and make the playoffs with the talent already on the roster? I can not get onboard with that. I am hoping our new system gets enough out of this years roster so that next years draft is adding to the vision already in place.

If you think this is a ten win roster...

And yes, I'm not short sighted. I want to contend EVERY year.

And how does everyone feel about Beane having final say over the 53 man roster?

Edited by BillsFan17

Over a year ago Peter Schrager named Beane a top 5 GM candidate in the entire NFL. We should be celebrating landing an up and coming Talent who happens to also have a strong relationship with our new Head Coach.

... Peter Schrager of Fox Sports

5. Brandon Beane, assistant general manager, Carolina Panthers

In three years as general manager, Dave Gettleman has done a marvelous job transforming the Panthers from an afterthought into an NFL powerhouse. His right-hand man is Beane, a 38-year-old Panthers lifer. Beane pre-dated Gettleman but was so valued within the organization that he kept his scouting job and even had it expanded once Gettleman took over for Marty Hurney in 2013. Carolina's last few drafts are loaded with home runs, and Beane's fingerprints are all over them.

Who are these Homeruns u speak of?

Well, the roster has to work within the salary cap now as well as in the future, so contracts would seem to dictate the 53 man roster to a large degree.

So yeah, the HC would work with him on it, but ultimately the GM would have final say.

There are just too many unknowns right now

My own feeling is that this team has a lot more defensive talent then was given credit for.....playing in a system that never fit them nor were they willing to buy into......

All this team has to do is maintain its level of offensive production from last year and have its defense move up several slots......you do that and we are in the playoffs.

Now...the question is....will that happen?

Agreed. He is McD's puppet. Hope it works but giving a 1st time coach this much power seems crazy.

Pardon me, but this whole "puppet" label is BS. Beane will be responsible for his specific set of duties, setting up an organizational structure and will work in concert with McDermott to get him what he needs on the personnel side. This archaic notion that there is only one "real" hierarchy and all coaches should work beneath and for a GM is outdated and ridiculous. I'm super tired of people positing this notion that there will be some hypothetical moment in which there are two players on the board in the draft - the coach and GM are somehow arguing over who to pick and gee whiz, if the GM isn't the one with final say to end that argument he's a puppet. If there are two players on the board, you follow your board. If you aren't organized enough to have considered the value you place on need/position when considering two players, then you have failed in setting up your draft board. This hypothetical situation is premised on the notion that there is a flawed system in place. If your system is flawed you have a much bigger problem than who gets "final say." We're not talking about some junta or cabal of a group of people making a decision, you're talking about TWO people at the very top of your organization making decisions. If those two people can't agree on a decision, your organization is screwed anyway.

We lost 6 games last year by one score. If we convert 2 of those this year because of better coaching or better play from some of our key playmakers, then we finish 9-7. Yes, I believe we were talented enough last year to have done better than we did.There is no way of knowing yet if the new system will be better than that of Rex and Rob, but there is definitely reason for optimism.

As far as Beane goes, I have heard great things about his ability to evaluate talent, and I am sure he has already started looking at what we currently have, so I hope he is actively involved in the roster creation process.