Beane hired as GM

I agree wholeheartedly....I think this year was all about setting up for next year. I think this was essentially, "let's change the culture in the building, begin to set new standards, put a new mindset in the players that will be here in the years to come, and be prepared to move boldly next year to get the players we believe are the future (both Drafted and FAs)". I don't think it is coincidental that next year, with some roster cuts, there could be a pretty large amount of FA money as well.

I think the goal is to set yourself up for future success. Draft better... lock up the right players... set yourself up for comp picks in walk years... or trade players before you have to lose them for nothing.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason the playoff drought is 17 years long is because of the Pegulas? I actually largely agree with you, I'm not all that inspired by the McDermott and Beane hired. But stop referring to events that happened way before the Pegulas were ever in charge.

I have a different take from your post. I agree with you that the hiring of McDermott and then Beane are not individually very inspiring hires. But both hires were very sound hires. Adding the personnel staffer from Houston was, albeit another uninspiring hire, again it was a very good hire. Instead of making decisions to create a marketing splash in the short run it is better to hire acknowledged upcoming talents from successful operations. That certainly is more refreshing than going to the old recycled candidates for positions.

As you noted the Pegulas have made their share of mistakes in their short stint as owners. But it seems to me that they have learned some valuable lessons from their early decisions. One lesson that they have learned is that the organization has to be staffed by people who are on the same page and are moving in the same direction. They have made it a priority to focus a lot of attention on getting the structure right and assembled a staff that is working in unison. In the long run substance is much more enduring than style. So in general I am encouraged by what has happened.

I think the goal is to set yourself up for future success. Draft better... lock up the right players... set yourself up for comp picks in walk years... or trade players before you have to lose them for nothing.

Can't / won't argue with any of those points, but obviously they haven't had the chance to do much of that yet...Sammy is not their guy...seems pretty obvious they didn't value Gilmore the way other teams did / would...and I don't think some of the other current players fit within their player profile / DNA so it will be a couple years before we really know what McD and Beane are truly about....but IMHO, all their actions indicate they're planning on how to really build this year to make ready for next year. That's why they've sold the "long-term" plan in the way they have...

Can't / won't argue with any of those points, but obviously they haven't had the chance to do much of that yet...Sammy is not their guy...seems pretty obvious they didn't value Gilmore the way other teams did / would...and I don't think some of the other current players fit within their player profile / DNA so it will be a couple years before we really know what McD and Beane are truly about....but IMHO, all their actions indicate they're planning on how to really build this year to make ready for next year. That's why they've sold the "long-term" plan in the way they have...

Well were a bit hamstrung with a bunch of bad contracts. It's amazing to me how much Miami is able to spend, and it always seems like we're at the cap.

Well were a bit hamstrung with a bunch of bad contracts. It's amazing to me how much Miami is able to spend, and it always seems like we're at the cap.

Mr. Overdorf, thank you for your years of service, pack up your desk and there's the door. Enjoy retirement...or working for the Browns. Whatever, just leave...

He may, in fact, see the "big picture" much more than people think. He is a rookie HC with a defensive background and obviously no GM experience who was put in charge of a draft. Was this wise of the Pegulas? Probably not, but it is what it is. But no matter what, he certainly isn't the right person to be drafting a QB at #10 overall. Perhaps he realized his shortcomings (a trait his predecessor could have used BTW), traded down and selected a player at a position he was comfortable selecting. Some say selecting a DB in that draft in the first round wasn't smart either, but he is essentially a DC not a GM and that is what it is as well. Selecting a player at a position he was knowledgeable in, and at the same time securing an additional first round pick for the GM to use in the next draft may well demonstrate that he sees the long term big picture very well.

That's a damn good point.

Also, maybe his trust (or lack there of) in Whaley and his scouting staff's evaluations played a part, too.

And if he knew Whaley was out the door right after the draft, maybe he didn't want a new GM coming in and being tied to a top 10 QB pick that he had no part in making.

That's a damn good point.

Also, maybe his trust (or lack there of) in Whaley and his scouting staff's evaluations played a part, too.

And if he knew Whaley was out the door right after the draft, maybe he didn't want a new GM coming in and being tied to a top 10 QB pick that he had no part in making.

I think that's very likely and makes a lot of sense.

I know there are some on the board that think we whiffed on the "can't miss" QB who was picked after Trubisky this year. Could be, time will tell.

Organizationally we are set up for McD and Beane to succeed....now they need to make it happen.

Go Bills!